Silverdale, WA

1 2 Next >

5+    6/3/2011   6/22/2011
Review By: Barthanatos
This review was updated on 6/28/2011
Pros: - Concrete tees, quality baskets, info kiosk, lost disk return box. Benches on many tees.
- Course is clearly defined, with adequate signage.
- An excessive amount of parking is available.
- Practice basket in vicinity of tee one.
- I consider the blind throws a positive.
- Soccer fields next to parking lot convenient for practicing long drives (500 ft of open field).
- Holes are legitimate par 3's, and not pitch and toss like Van Zee.
- Some unique holes such as #16.
- Low traffic, peaceful atmosphere. Area is used only for disc golf, with occasional use by cross-country team.
- Course is actively managed by the WSDGA.
Cons: -Nothing longer than a par 3, and longest hole is 423 ft. That's actually a major ding in my book, as it removes a major element of game play.

-The undergrowth does have quite an appetite for disks. I lost three at this course when I first started playing (none since then). Two of those throws were really hideous, and the other was just bad. But even with good throws I spend more time than I like searching for my disks, even after an approach shot. It's easy to catch a bad bounce off a tree, and the ferns mandate keeping a close eye on the path of your disc for EVERY throw, not just the ones you think are going to be trouble. This is not as bad on holes 10 through 16.

- Hole #5 is _quite_ muddy and could use improved drainage. It appears that efforts are occurring to improve this. You're fine with a good throw, but a tree shot can drop your disc short and last time this happened to me, I was very happy to be wearing boots because I sank ankle deep retrieving it.

- Hole #5 is also the limiting factor for strollers. I haven't tried taking one on the course yet, but would say you are currently limited to jogging strollers, and then only if you're willing and able to muscle it up the steep, narrow (but short) path on number five.
Other Thoughts: There's a work party scheduled for July 16th to clear brush.

Despite the course not being as tidy as NAD, I think that the actual gameplay is better here at Fairgrounds. The holes are more interesting.

Special events sometimes limit access to the course due to it being located at the Fairgrounds. This can include closure of Fairgounds Road between Tibardis Road and Tracyton Blvd. I once encountered a tent pitched directly on tee number one inhabited by a traveling fair attendee.

2-4    6/23/2010   7/3/2010
Review By: bigbmoney
Pros: Uniform and level tees. Plenty of parking. Nice to see trash can placed around. Course condition has come along way.
Cons: I am not left handed. This course LOVES lefty. Could use some brush clearing. That might come with more play.
Other Thoughts: Hard for me to go there over NAD or Fredrickson.

a classic PNW setting

2-4    6/4/2010   6/4/2010
Review By: puaahunter
Pros: beautiful pacific northwest forest course. lots of tall trees, large ferns, and some rhodedendrons.
GREAT use of elevation.
decent sized cement teepads
average hole signs, excellent "next tee" signs.
great variation of shot selection- a RHBH thrower better be good at his anhyzer/ forearm shot!
most holes are birdie-able.
trashbags hanging at most holes. (ugly, but useful) I didn't see any trash on the course.
nice hooks scattered through the course for bags.
Cons: crossing the road is a bummer, but understandable.
the heavily wooded setting sets up some pretty wild ricochets into other fairways or thick underbrush.
too many holes had blind teepads making it tough on beginners and increasing the likliness of a lost disc
the hole signs left me wanting...
Other Thoughts: this was a fun course.
the greatest challenge is accuracy here- not distance.
the trees can be punishing, but if you nail your line, a birdie can be had on every hole.

it's muddy in the rainy weather, so choose footwear accordingly!

Kitsap Fairgrounds DGC

5+    12/20/2009   1/15/2010
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 6/22/2011
Pros:
Kitsap Fairgrounds is a great course in a beautiful northwest setting. It has plenty of elevation changes and intricate holes due to tight fairways and difficult pin placements. This course has a lot to offer and can be extremely challenging for intermediate and advanced players alike. When I arrived to hole one I was greeted by a large kiosk that informed players as to what was going on around the Puget Sound disc golf community. There was a warm up basket near by and a wonderful metal disc return box (which I wish more courses had).

What made this course so challenging to me was that many of the holes tended to be geared toward left handed or side armed players which was unusual considering most courses favor right handed players. Because of that I found that this course attacked the weaker aspects of my game which I appreciated. It helped me work on straightening out some of my issues and allowed for a very challenging round.

The signs for the course are fantastic. They look as if they had been done by Google maps, with full color and distance shown. The tee pads were cement which was vital considering the course is located in the northwest where disc golf and it can get extremely muddy around these parts. The bag holders were a nice addition so that players would not find themselves sticking their bags in the harsh elements.

Many holes provided multiple approaches to each hole however tight those might be. The fairways were for the most part tight or very tight, with dense foliage on either side making your upshot difficult. Accuracy is key to scoring well on this course, as is knowing where the pin is located.
Cons:
As others have stated, many holes seem to be redundant. Although they were well thought out, it would have been nice to see more of a variety to allow for more types of shots. Rarely did I find myself using a powerful backhand (more like a strong sidearm, an approach shot, and then a putt). The first seven holes seemed to have a lot of brush as well. I had a hard time trying to find the baskets and/or my disc because of the amount of growth on and off the fairways. As time goes on I hope that these holes get cleared up so that they can be as great as the rest of the course.
I really enjoyed my time at the Fairgrounds. Their signature hole #16 was one of the better holes that I have played since I began this great game over 11 years ago. The hole is a 329 foot par 3 that drops about 50-60 feet in elevation. On both sides are rows of trees that are unforgiving, turning what would be a par or even birdie shot in to a bogie or double bogie. As I have stated in other reviews regarding the courses around the area, I love the atmosphere on this side of the state and feel like the locals have and are continuing to do a fantastic job with the land they have allotted. I look forward to the next time I get to play this course. Keep up the good work!

Fairgrounds

1    12/10/2009   12/11/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 6/15/2010
Pros: This course is similar to the other courses in the area in that it is a technical course with short holes and tight fairways which I happen to love. If you can master dead straight shots, short hyzers and short anhyzers who can finish with a great score here, the mix of right and left turns are done very well. This time of year when I played it there was no under brush and the local club just put in brand new tee signs which are very helpful. This is the best time of the year to play this course if you can stand the cold, the concrete tee pads didn't even have ice on them.
Cons: Being it was my first time playing the course my score was a lot higher than usual because of the many number of blind basket locations. There was a fair amount of elevation which is a good thing for the course but combined with a little bit of walking from hole to hole can make you get tired. If you like long open bomb holes this is not the course for you. During the summer months this course gets over grown and swallows discs for all of eternity.
Other Thoughts: This is a great little course on the Fairgrounds that is playable all year round as long as there isn't something going on at the Fairgrounds. This is my favorite type of course with tough fairways and all the holes under 400 feet, I would be glad to go back.

1    3/13/2009   3/14/2009
Review By: olydiscgolf
Pros: Disc golf only setting. Very good signeage. #1 and #16 would both be in the running for course signature hole. Some good landscaping using downed trees for benches and stairs. Hard working, dedicated crew doing a good job. These people take pride in what they do!
Cons: Many blind shots, having to walk half way or more down fairways to see the basket. This will probably open up in the future with more play. But, right now is the most open of the year, just before spring, and its hard to see your target. I imagine a lot of lost plastic when trees start filling in and ferns fill up.

Bring your forehand or turnover backhand shot. Many anhyser shots. Too many. I forgot what hole I was on because it seemed like I just played the same anhyser shot over again.

Other Thoughts: Many courses "favor" right hand, back hand players. This course "loves" the lefty! This is a woods course. There is no wide open long holes.The design fits in well with the terrain. Lots of elevation is used in hole design.

Improvements occurring

2-4    6/15/2008   6/15/2008
Review By: Aragorn
This review was updated on 9/8/2008
Pros: Nice woods setting. The "Callison 9" has been fairly well cleared and is easily playable. Thought was given to the basket placements. Lots of elevation changes. The "next tee" signage is outstanding as of 8/3/2008.
Cons: Hard to find course from the Kitsap Fairgrounds parking lot (park in the Gordon Field parking lot to find the course). I couldn't find any signs or course maps (at the fairgrounds parking lot).
The tees on the "Gordon 9" are in undeveloped condition. More brush needs to be cleared.
Other Thoughts: The course has nine holes on each side of Fairgrounds Drive. They used to be called "Callison 9" and "Gordon 9". However, the current course signage has you starting at Tee #1 in the Gordon section, playing 7 holes, crossing the road and playing the nine in the Callison section and then crossing back and finishing 17 and 18 in the Gordon section. So you are starting and ending at the west side of the Gordon parking lot. If you find the first tee you are set because the current state of the "next tee" signage is excellent.

The course is entirely in the woods with some big trees and fern under story. Every hole seems to have elevation change. Rarely are you standing on flat ground. The course is slowly becoming clearer of brush. I noticed that some ferns have been removed from one of the fairways. It is a work in progress and the roughs are thick with ferns and bushes that will gobble your disc.

As far as potential goes this could become one of the best courses around Puget Sound. It has several advantages in that it is a Disc Golf only space, it has deep woods and constant elevation change. They are taking care to open up the fairways so there will be actual fairways and not just a wall of trees which I think is a really good sign. This will be a really cool course when it is all said and done. With new tee pads and a little more brush clearing I would rate the course 4 or higher.

Don't park in the Kitsap Fairgrounds parking lot, park in the Gordon Field parking lot at the corner of Fairgrounds and Tibardis and look for the first tee at the west side.

A Lot of Work Went Into This Short Course

5/4/2008   5/4/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: I agree with most of what the previous reviewer said. All things considered, this is a fun little nine hole course. The penalties for throwing your shot a little to the left or right are quite severe, so accuracy is definitely at a premium.
Cons: Many of the "cool" hole number signs have already been broken/vandalized. For someone new to play the course, you usually have to walk about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to the hole to determine where you are supposed to be going (blind tee shots), so for me and my group (who had never played this course), it took some extra time and effort.
Other Thoughts: Absolutely no one else was playing the course around noontime on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, so I hope it gets enough players on a regular basis to help keep it in good shape.

New Course In The NW Forrest!

1    3/14/2008   3/15/2008
This review was updated on 7/3/2010
Pros: The course is set in a very pretty, heavily forested section of land on a slight hillside. There are tall fir trees, much thick underbrush including wild rhododendrons and salal bushes. All nine holes have average sized cement tee pads, clever little wooden signs giving the hole # and a nice pole with four hooks to hang your bag on. The locals have done a lot of work already on this course clearing away the fairways and basket areas. I consider this to be a fair course. By that, I mean the fairways are tight but you're not just throwing through a grove of saplings hoping your disc sails through. If you can keep it straight for 100-200 ft. on this course, you'll score well. Every hole is a possible duece. My favorite was the third, a long (for this course) maybe 300 ft. downhill tunnel shot with approximately a 20 ft. wide opening 100 ft. downhill. The basket is just visible from the tee and there is currently thick underbrush on both sides if you hyzer or anhyzer one.
Cons: Although the course is set on a hilly piece of land, four of the holes play uphill and five holes are blind tee shots. Too often you feel like you're teeing off down in a hole. There are still some piles of trash lying around. No benches yet or signs showing the whereabouts of the basket. Lots of spare brush cuttings are waiting to be hauled away. It's obviously not a course where you can cut loose with the big throw.
Other Thoughts: The course reminded me quite a bit of the NAD. Same forest feel. Same blind tee shots with a dogleg at the end. This course is new and still a work in progress. I'm sure many of the cons I've mentioned will be fixed as $ and manpower are available. They're off to a great start and a few improvements would raise my rating. Also players will help tromp and break down much of the annoying underbrush. I'd be curious to know from a local, are there plans to put a second nine here?

NOTE: Two years later and I'm updating my review. I haven't been back but I know they've added a back nine. That's enough for me to up my orginal rating.

1 2 Next >