Millington, TN
Bud Hill - Original Share
Uploaded By: NoahPeterson   (Taken 12/2011)

Man.. what a fun, wonderful place

1    7/9/2015   7/15/2015
Review By: dr.chainslove
Pros: This is a fantastic spot just north of Memphis with about 80 acres devoted to Disc Golf lovers. The course consists of 38 holes (a short, tight wooded 18 and a championship-quality 18 with 2 alternates). The course has a full-time ambassador/maintenance-guy/caretaker/concierge, DooRagg. You'll definitely want to meet him there (will be hard not to) and hopefully get a round in with him. I was in Memphis for work all last week and ended up playing Libertyland Monday night and Bud Hill every other night for he rest of the week. I couldn't stop coming here! If you're anywhere near southwest Tennessee, contact the gracious owner Danny and get yourself a teetime. Here're my thoughts on the Original (long) course

-Easy navigation. The course flows back to the clubhouse (yes, there's a clubhouse) between 8 and 9
-Don't miss the 2 alternate holes between 2 and 3. Hop into the woods by the 2nd basket and you'll go up the tight hill for the first alternate and back down for an absolutely beautiful 350 ft tunnel shot.
-teepads are excellent and vary in length depending on the hole
-water comes smartly into play on 5 holes. on 14, you'll squeamishly throw downhill 320 ft with water to the right of the basket and trees to the left.
-18 ends with an ace run over water right down from a tent-covered gathering area to relax after a round.
-Great locals who clearly play there weekly and are very hospitable to the out-of-towners
-EXCELLENT MAINTENANCE. grass was short, probably cut weekly. woods were cleared, clever placement of shrubs, great tee signs
-Porto-pot onsite by the clubhouse because Danny and DooRagg love you
-Clubhouse is rustic but looks well equipped to BBQ, get out of the weather, and relax after rounds
Cons: -not an extremely difficult course, for those who were looking to get beat up. It's a strong par 3 course with 2 or 3 par 4 holes
-I almost stepped on about 50 toads hopping across the wooded fairways. watch out, they're everywhere
-that's all I got, this place is wonderful
Other Thoughts: This is a DGCR top 10 destination course for a reason. The land is perfectly suited and the people who run it are fully committed! With Danny's blessing of course, camping here for a few days would be well worth your time. Donation box next to the first tee (be sure to show them your love in return). Thanks!

Best Course in the Area

2-4    6/7/2014   6/4/2015
Review By: NothingButChain
Pros: -Very well maintained
-Friendly and inviting atmosphere
-Good course variation between open and wooded. Offers tee shots that have what I would describe as "fairways" with woods lining the sides.
-Challenging, but rewards good shots
Cons: -Difficult to find
-Located out of the way
Other Thoughts: I originally read about this course on this website and decided to visit it with a couple of friends. The first time we played it we nearly gave up looking for the course because we could not find the entrance. Right before we gave up, we realized how to get in. I am glad that we found the course that time, because it may be my favorite course that I have ever played. It is very well maintained and such a great experience. If it was located in a better area and was easier to find, I would probably make the trip to play it more. It is definitely worth coming and playing if you aren't local. If I lived in the area, I would probably play this all the time.

Disc Golf Heaven

1    11/22/2013   11/22/2013
Review By: nightwing
Pros: Just a beautiful place to play. Not just challenging, but INTERESTING, which is a much higher standard.
Cons: Not much. Maybe some par fours but this is a labor of love and I really don't want to start nit-picking.
Other Thoughts: As with my 'Ridge' review, I'm keepin it short because 'Mr. Mirth' gets it right. See his review. A BIG thank you though to Teddy, Danny, and all the guys for a real down welcome at this most excellent destination Disc Golf Heaven. Bring Danny some money to pay for all this. It takes a lot of love and lucre to make things this good and it shows.

Great course!

1    9/10/2013   9/26/2013
Review By: lildragon
- Beautiful course
- Great use of the terrain
- Benches or seats pretty much at every hole
- Nice flow from hole to hole, didn't have to search much, if at all
- I don't live in TN
- Bring a couple bucks with ya! They accept donations for the upkeep of the course.

Beauty ... and a best.

2-4    3/7/2013   3/9/2013
Review By: Mr Mirth
Pros: Set on secluded private property devoted to disc golf, Bud Hill is a most enjoyable and challenging experience. The land is not only magnificent in its natural beauty, being adjacent to a river basin, but is well suited for quality course design, which is achieved here through years of attention and keen use of elevations slight to extreme, multiple bodies of water, mature forest, open rolling fields and more. The rustic clubhouse sits central to the Original course (as well its little bro The Ridge) and provides the perfect spot for putting and hanging about between rounds, taking in the peaceful vistas all the while. I can only imagine the camping good times during tournaments ...
The course is adorned with bright blue DGA Mach Vs you'd think were just installed; they're easily visible and great catchers. Signs are uniform, clear and accurate with "next tee" arrows lending to easy flow. Tees are concrete, save one, with various alts too; all in good shape. Large sturdy benches on nearly every hole easily accommodate groups of four, inviting one to have a sit. And rightly so, since four or five of them, if not more, are exquisite spots for taking in this secluded natural splendor! The heavily wooded fairways are extremely clean well beyond their tightly defined lines, which makes the errant throw and or subsequent kick a less daunting recovery.
Whether long or short, a straight line punch-out, a punch-in with drop down, a technical tunnel, an uphill finesse... whether an open downhill, a flat monster S, a tight touch across a pond or open carry on another... whether a fast green to the water or a guardian orchard, a basket and a tee too enveloped by bamboo... from start to finish this course couples challenging variety with persistent fun. Favorites are the 6, 7, left to right, right to left sequence: tight lines across the heavily wooded pond with steep elevations. 6 is especially tricky given how fast the green runs back to the water (~60deg!), never mind the sheer drop off just beyond to the left. 11 too is a favorite with its open to tight, right to left line with 20' drop then elevated pin.
Cons: Considering this is private property devoted to disc golf I find it most difficult to say anything negative. I will say there were a few shot-length dependent tees which wouldn't be a problem if they were surrounded by level terrain, but many of them were at least the thickness of the concrete above the ground. You either stepped to accommodate the trip hazard or compacted your x-step. The slopes on a few of the holes could be problematic after a rain. There's a chance of throwing into 17s fairway or onto 18s tee from 16 if one flies too right, while there's a chance of releasing too early on 17 and flying into 18s tee. I don't really see these as much problem unless the place is packed. I'm nitpicking...
Other Thoughts: Although Bud Hill is more open than wooded, with mostly straight or right to left lines, The Ridge gives balance with its extremely tight, short, left to right holes. I'm thoroughly impressed by what Danny and his crew have done with Bud Hill. You will be too. The terrain and beauty are here. They had the vision and put in the hard work, which has resulted in a quality course for players of all levels. A "best in class" as it were.

Awesome course

1    7/24/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: splatbaseball51
This review was updated on 9/9/2015
Pros: This course is one of the best courses I have ever played. It has every type of shot imaginable, including several beautiful water hazard holes. Every hole has a great tee pad (concrete), many with multiple tees, well built benches (even some under a shaded roof), trash cans and bag racks. The "original" 18 hole course is easily one of the best, beautifully manicured and enjoyable course I have ever played. The "ridge" course is an additional 9-holer that requires precise technical shots to master and makes a great warm-up course. The site is devoted entirely to disc golf and has a clubhouse and tented area for relaxation or cookouts. The private nature of the course, along with the secluded location, achieves the goal of keeping out the riff raff. The course was easy to navigate without a map and each hole was easy to see the shot required (not many blind shots). There are some unique holes that introduce power lines, poles and other interesting obstacles/decoration.
Cons: Quite honestly the only thing that was slightly deterring was the drive to the place. It is quite literally in the middle of nowhere according to a GPS and anyone who is unfamiliar with the area. If the course were moderately ranked, we would have turned around and drove away. The high rating drove us onward and we eventually made some right turns to find our way there. This could also be considered a good thing however, because it keeps out everyone except those dedicated to the sport.(No park traffic or non-golfers).
Other Thoughts: The course has awesome custom baskets that are painted blue with a high-visibility orange strip on the pole. These are the coolest baskets I have ever seen. Not only should you drive out of your way to play here, you should bring some money to pay the owners, Danny and Barbara, for all of the hard work they have put into this course. They were some of the nicest people we have encountered on a disc golf course and were generous enough to host us last minute as we passed through Memphis.

Bud Hill

1    11/27/2010   5/15/2011
Review By: VoodooDangerbird
Pros: Wonderful course.
Wooded and stately trees.
A 'ridge' course of short holes that demand precise throws.
Cons: It's far from where I live.
Other Thoughts: I wish they built more courses like this one and that there were more courses dedicated to excellence like this course.

2-4    3/24/2009   11/19/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Bud Hill is an enjoyable and challenging course set on a spacious and beautiful piece of land outside of Memphis. The course is very secluded as it is way out of town and you basically take a dirt road until it dead ends at the course! This is a private course, but it is usually no problem at all getting permission to play- just call or e-mail Danny and you will find he will be excited about you coming to play.

The course only had 18 holes the last time I played here, but I see that it now has 27. I loved the course with 18 holes, so I hope the new holes just add to an already great course. Most of the holes had concrete tees and some kind of signage. The course itself has everything you would want in a round of disc- longer, open holes mixed in with well-designed shorter wooded holes. There is plenty of elevation utilized in holes that tastefully play up and down. There are straight shots and doglegs in both directions. There are several holes where water comes into play and these are spread throughout the course, not all in a row. The water shots are not impossibly long, but do require accuracy. You will also find many interesting man made obstacles- power lines, semi-trailers, gazebos, birdhouses, etc. that help add to the charm and the atmosphere of this private course on farm land.

I love that the holes here offer a good variety and little to no repetition- each hole is unique and there are several memorable holes, a characteristic of the best courses. I really appreciate the thoughtful balance of playing in the woods for a couple of holes, then in the open for a couple, then back in the woods, and so on (rather than the front 9 open and the back 9 wooded which you see all the time at other courses.)
Cons: As is the case with most private courses it is difficult to upkeep and mainly because it does cost money, so I understand why the signs are not uniform and some of the baskets are not the standard quality you would find in a public park. However, many of the baskets had been upgraded when I came back to play here a 2nd time a year later. It is obvious that improvements are continually being made when funds and time are available. There was also an occasional dirt or carpet tee, but it is possible these will be concrete some day if not already.

I am not sure exactly how many holes we played (possibly 18-20) as the signs were not the best. There were also a couple of temp baskets we saw, but never played to. (including one right in the middle of #3's fairway - we always joked about getting a black ace!) We thought they might just be for practice or for other types of games during tournaments since they were close to the clubhouse, but now it seems likely that these holes are probably a permanent part of the 27 holes. Hopefully the holes are now clearly numbered so people don't miss out on any of holes here.

Note: From reading other reviews of people who have played here more recently, it seems many of the cons are now taken care of.
Other Thoughts: I could go on and on praising this course. I really appreciate the work that is done here creating and maintaining this wonderful course. Be sure to put in a couple dollars in the box by tee #1, and then when you finish go back and put in a couple more $ after you see that it is very deserving.

I have played nearly all the courses in TN and this is clearly the best. It is a must play if you are in the area, and is possibly worth a longer drive when you factor in the other decent courses in the Memphis area as well.

*Again, the course now has 27 holes, it has been a little over a year since I last played here, and I have not yet played the additional holes, but hope to sometime soon. When I do I will edit my review to include the new 9. (The addition of the new 9 holes, pro baskets, and uniform signs may bump Bud Hill up to a 5.0 rating for me, and I can't wait to find out if I need to...!)

Excellent Course

1    7/24/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: memphisrider93
Pros: Very good variety of holes between wooded and open shots. Excellent but challenging layout especially at snake hole.
Cons: Tee pads are not very fun to work with on a few holes and are hard to run on to. I also was not expecting the plants to burn your skinif you touched them.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful land that the course is on and thanks to the Daniels on an exceellent job of keeping up the course.

Must Play IMO

1    7/5/2010   7/7/2010
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 8/8/2010
Pros: Original 18 has good mix of shots, distance, and some water to contend with. More wide open than wooded, but still challenging. The new baskets are super sweet, and the tees are all concrete. Great all around course. The Ridge 9 is very short and technical. It is also a good course that is worth playing while you're there. The people are awesome.
Cons: Some of the tee boxes on the original 18 were shorter than I like. It is hundreds of miles away from my house. :(
Other Thoughts: You will rarely find a course that is this much fun. You will never find nicer people. Play it, enjoy it, and then contribute to their fund.