Millington, TN
Bud Hill - Original Share
Uploaded By: NoahPeterson   (Taken 12/2011)

Disc Golf Heaven

1    11/22/2013   11/22/2013
Review By: nightwing
Pros: Just a beautiful place to play. Not just challenging, but INTERESTING, which is a much higher standard.
Cons: Not much. Maybe some par fours but this is a labor of love and I really don't want to start nit-picking.
Other Thoughts: As with my 'Ridge' review, I'm keepin it short because 'Mr. Mirth' gets it right. See his review. A BIG thank you though to Teddy, Danny, and all the guys for a real down welcome at this most excellent destination Disc Golf Heaven. Bring Danny some money to pay for all this. It takes a lot of love and lucre to make things this good and it shows.

Great course!

1    9/10/2013   9/26/2013
Review By: lildragon
Pros:
- Beautiful course
- Great use of the terrain
- Benches or seats pretty much at every hole
- Nice flow from hole to hole, didn't have to search much, if at all
Cons:
- I don't live in TN
- Bring a couple bucks with ya! They accept donations for the upkeep of the course.

Beauty ... and a best.

2-4    3/7/2013   3/9/2013
Review By: Mr Mirth
Pros: Set on secluded private property devoted to disc golf, Bud Hill is a most enjoyable and challenging experience. The land is not only magnificent in its natural beauty, being adjacent to a river basin, but is well suited for quality course design, which is achieved here through years of attention and keen use of elevations slight to extreme, multiple bodies of water, mature forest, open rolling fields and more. The rustic clubhouse sits central to the Original course (as well its little bro The Ridge) and provides the perfect spot for putting and hanging about between rounds, taking in the peaceful vistas all the while. I can only imagine the camping good times during tournaments …
The course is adorned with bright blue DGA Mach Vs you'd think were just installed; they're easily visible and great catchers. Signs are uniform, clear and accurate with "next tee" arrows lending to easy flow. Tees are concrete, save one, with various alts too; all in good shape. Large sturdy benches on nearly every hole easily accommodate groups of four, inviting one to have a sit. And rightly so, since four or five of them, if not more, are exquisite spots for taking in this secluded natural splendor! The heavily wooded fairways are extremely clean well beyond their tightly defined lines, which makes the errant throw and or subsequent kick a less daunting recovery.
Whether long or short, a straight line punch-out, a punch-in with drop down, a technical tunnel, an uphill finesse… whether an open downhill, a flat monster S, a tight touch across a pond or open carry on another… whether a fast green to the water or a guardian orchard, a basket and a tee too enveloped by bamboo… from start to finish this course couples challenging variety with persistent fun. Favorites are the 6, 7, left to right, right to left sequence: tight lines across the heavily wooded pond with steep elevations. 6 is especially tricky given how fast the green runs back to the water (~60deg!), never mind the sheer drop off just beyond to the left. 11 too is a favorite with its open to tight, right to left line with 20' drop then elevated pin.
Cons: Considering this is private property devoted to disc golf I find it most difficult to say anything negative. I will say there were a few shot-length dependent tees which wouldn't be a problem if they were surrounded by level terrain, but many of them were at least the thickness of the concrete above the ground. You either stepped to accommodate the trip hazard or compacted your x-step. The slopes on a few of the holes could be problematic after a rain. There's a chance of throwing into 17s fairway or onto 18s tee from 16 if one flies too right, while there's a chance of releasing too early on 17 and flying into 18s tee. I don't really see these as much problem unless the place is packed. I'm nitpicking…
Other Thoughts: Although Bud Hill is more open than wooded, with mostly straight or right to left lines, The Ridge gives balance with its extremely tight, short, left to right holes. I'm thoroughly impressed by what Danny and his crew have done with Bud Hill. You will be too. The terrain and beauty are here. They had the vision and put in the hard work, which has resulted in a quality course for players of all levels. A "best in class" as it were.

Bud Hill

1    11/27/2010   5/15/2011
Review By: VoodooDangerbird
Pros: Wonderful course.
Wooded and stately trees.
A 'ridge' course of short holes that demand precise throws.
Cons: It's far from where I live.
Other Thoughts: I wish they built more courses like this one and that there were more courses dedicated to excellence like this course.

2-4    3/24/2009   11/19/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Bud Hill is an enjoyable and challenging course set on a spacious and beautiful piece of land outside of Memphis. The course is very secluded as it is way out of town and you basically take a dirt road until it dead ends at the course! This is a private course, but it is usually no problem at all getting permission to play- just call or e-mail Danny and you will find he will be excited about you coming to play.

The course only had 18 holes the last time I played here, but I see that it now has 27. I loved the course with 18 holes, so I hope the new holes just add to an already great course. Most of the holes had concrete tees and some kind of signage. The course itself has everything you would want in a round of disc- longer, open holes mixed in with well-designed shorter wooded holes. There is plenty of elevation utilized in holes that tastefully play up and down. There are straight shots and doglegs in both directions. There are several holes where water comes into play and these are spread throughout the course, not all in a row. The water shots are not impossibly long, but do require accuracy. You will also find many interesting man made obstacles- power lines, semi-trailers, gazebos, birdhouses, etc. that help add to the charm and the atmosphere of this private course on farm land.

I love that the holes here offer a good variety and little to no repetition- each hole is unique and there are several memorable holes, a characteristic of the best courses. I really appreciate the thoughtful balance of playing in the woods for a couple of holes, then in the open for a couple, then back in the woods, and so on (rather than the front 9 open and the back 9 wooded which you see all the time at other courses.)
Cons: As is the case with most private courses it is difficult to upkeep and mainly because it does cost money, so I understand why the signs are not uniform and some of the baskets are not the standard quality you would find in a public park. However, many of the baskets had been upgraded when I came back to play here a 2nd time a year later. It is obvious that improvements are continually being made when funds and time are available. There was also an occasional dirt or carpet tee, but it is possible these will be concrete some day if not already.

I am not sure exactly how many holes we played (possibly 18-20) as the signs were not the best. There were also a couple of temp baskets we saw, but never played to. (including one right in the middle of #3's fairway - we always joked about getting a black ace!) We thought they might just be for practice or for other types of games during tournaments since they were close to the clubhouse, but now it seems likely that these holes are probably a permanent part of the 27 holes. Hopefully the holes are now clearly numbered so people don't miss out on any of holes here.

Note: From reading other reviews of people who have played here more recently, it seems many of the cons are now taken care of.
Other Thoughts: I could go on and on praising this course. I really appreciate the work that is done here creating and maintaining this wonderful course. Be sure to put in a couple dollars in the box by tee #1, and then when you finish go back and put in a couple more $ after you see that it is very deserving.

I have played nearly all the courses in TN and this is clearly the best. It is a must play if you are in the area, and is possibly worth a longer drive when you factor in the other decent courses in the Memphis area as well.

*Again, the course now has 27 holes, it has been a little over a year since I last played here, and I have not yet played the additional holes, but hope to sometime soon. When I do I will edit my review to include the new 9. (The addition of the new 9 holes, pro baskets, and uniform signs may bump Bud Hill up to a 5.0 rating for me, and I can't wait to find out if I need to…!)

Excellent Course

1    7/24/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: memphisrider93
Pros: Very good variety of holes between wooded and open shots. Excellent but challenging layout especially at snake hole.
Cons: Tee pads are not very fun to work with on a few holes and are hard to run on to. I also was not expecting the plants to burn your skinif you touched them.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful land that the course is on and thanks to the Daniels on an exceellent job of keeping up the course.

Must Play IMO

1    7/5/2010   7/7/2010
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 8/8/2010
Pros: Original 18 has good mix of shots, distance, and some water to contend with. More wide open than wooded, but still challenging. The new baskets are super sweet, and the tees are all concrete. Great all around course. The Ridge 9 is very short and technical. It is also a good course that is worth playing while you're there. The people are awesome.
Cons: Some of the tee boxes on the original 18 were shorter than I like. It is hundreds of miles away from my house. :(
Other Thoughts: You will rarely find a course that is this much fun. You will never find nicer people. Play it, enjoy it, and then contribute to their fund.

Incredible Private Course

1    12/28/2009   1/4/2010
Pros: 1) Private course that very likely does not get real crowded. This is a bonus because if it was in a public park the course would be in worse shape, more compaction and more erosion, plus more trampling of the turf.

2) Dual concrete teepads are in good shape. Some holes even have 3 sets of tees, but apparently aren't used often. There was one tee I think that had carpet because of tree roots or just the location.

3) Tee signs are adequate for knowing where you are because they are all numbered.

4) Plenty of benches on the course for the slow tourney rounds and waiting for people to resolve OB situations and finding discs. Course also has garbage cans all around the course. Being a private course I would expect people generally will do a better job picking up their own garbage, but it is always helpful to be consistent with placement and frequency.

5) Maintenance is evident. Danny was unable to be at the course when I played because he fell off a ladder trimming trees. I can even imagine the scene, with a ladder on uneven compact soils just to get that one pesky branch or widow maker. I hope he recovered quickly. I even noticed areas of the wooded holes that had obviously had some leaf blowing done . . . specifically to help prevent people from losing discs in the leaves. Not only had those two valley holes been blown, but they had also received overseeding or a winter ryegrass. The grass wasnt lush or anything but it is enough to help prevent erosion, and it will help to keep people from slipping in some spots.

6) The clubhouse although rustic and run down is an awesome thing for a disc golf course. It has a couple couches, a tv (oddly enough leveled with an extra disc (thanks for pointing that out Stephen), a bar area (although primitive), a grill, a firepit outside, and all sorts of things that would make it a great place to just hang out all day. If this was my local course I would go there every weekend . . . play a couple rounds, eat lunch, play another round or 2, and then hang out by the firepit.

7) Atmosphere is incredible even though I didnt play the course during a tourney or when Danny and his wife are out there. Sdervan even told me they often cook for the people in the tourneys and such, how awesome is that? I mean come on its like they just want people to have a wonderful time. Sounds to me like they should find some more areas on the property and offer camping and call it a bed and breakfast.

8) Design and layout of this course was awesome. It flows very well from basket to next tee. I do not know Danny's history with the game but I have a feeling he was/is a great player. He used the property incredibly, it has uphills downhills sidehills, tight tight fairways, open fairways with spotty trees, it has water, it has left to right shots and right to left shots and combinations of many of these things. Every hole has some challenge and you better not let your guard down.

9) Shepherd hooks are even on some or most of the tee box areas. Those are helpful on wet days to keep your bag from getting all muddy which in turn would get all over your back.
Cons: 1) I think somewhere along the way someone put a tee sign in the wrong spot and the next few were also off by one because of this. I do not remember however how it resolved itself to end on 18.

2) Course has some tough areas due to compaction. Some of those wooded holes have some bare soil and even more spots of really rooted up ground. These rooty areas are all due to erosion because those roots would normally be under the soil.

3) Signage is lacking, not a huge deal but for a first timer who may not have been as lucky as I to have a local show me, they could get lost from time to time, they would eventually find all the holes, but a simple teesign would be better than just a #.

4) Some of the baskets are not the newest kind, but I know that will be taken care of. I know I put my $5 donation in and if you play it once please chip in $5 or whatever you can. For people that always play it I would think paying $1 per round would be enough, equivalent to what we pay for a tourney or league at any course.

5) Course is not even close to being beginner friendly. There are simply too many shots needed to survive this course. Water to throw over, tight wooded holes to plinko, some OB areas where you can easily throw a disc into that you may not be able to reach. This isnt considered in the rating because it obviously was designed for tourneys and tourney players. Shortening some of the holes up would help in promoting beginners, but it just isn't that type of course.
Other Thoughts: I feel that the 18 hole course is virtually seperated from the other 9, therefore I have also written the review seperately. I also feel like they still may be a little bit work in progress. I am not sure how long the new 9 have been there, but they just seemed to still be undergoing some projects and maintenance.

Review of The Ridge 9
Pros
1) Every hole is tightly wooded and plays very differently than the other course. it give the entire 27 holes better balance.

2) This 9 is very short in comparison to the other 18 holes and that also helps to balance the overall length of the whole course.

3) Executing some of these shots is difficult, especially if you miss a mando. You can layup to make an easy par on the mando holes and sharp doglegs.

4) Tees are in good shape and the signs are helpful in direction and # of hole, but none have distances listed or the distances listed are written by some punks, or maybe they are just trying to be funny. No hole is over about 225 I think on this 9.

Cons:
1) Not sure a few of these holes are birdieable, I like holes that challenge but I also think that there should be risk/reward on choosing to layup for par, or try and make the entire curve of the hole on one shot to layup for birdie.

2) There isn't much risk/reward with some of these holes because even if you overthrow or hit a tree and underthrow, the holes are short enough for an easy layup and 1 putt for par. The only thing keeping you from getting a par would be missing a mando or missing a putt.

3) A couple of these 9 holes are too gimmicky for me, they may involve some luck as an equal portion to making a par or birdie. I like shots that just require a well executed shot to get your birdie, not luck also.

ALL IN ALL:

I loved this course . . . I got to play with a local that helped. He gave me information I would never have gotten and it certainly raised my image of this course. It is an awesome design, it is an even better property and the atmosphere the owners and locals would bring to this place I could see why it would be the hotbed of Westerm Tennessee. It was a ton of fun to play and am so happy I was able to go there. I will be back sometime and look forward to the opportunity. it was a great way to start out my 3 week trip to Florida. I do have to say I know the course is well maintained but the only thing keeping it from being a top course is probably some of the areas that could use improvements and/or maintenance. So what I am saying is this course is a 4 in my eyes in terms of maintenance and current conditions, it is a 4.5 overall for design, layout, and facilities, and it is a 5 for atmosphere. With all of that said I have to give it an overall 4.5 because I would play it just as frequently as I would want to play Winter Park, Silver Creek, Bryant Lake and all the other 4.5's I have given. It is way more likely to draw my time if compared straight up against my other 4 rated courses. If some of the maintenance issues like erosion and compaction I would very well give this course a 5 rating. It simply does not compare to the overall experience I had with my only 5 given at Blue Ribbon Pines. It could be there down the road however in my humble opinion. I loved it . . . thanks Danny.

This course has it all

1    10/9/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: shyguy30
Pros: -Great mix of open, lightly wooded, and tight wooded holes
-Terrific use of water hazards and elevation changes
-Multiple tees and pins on each hole make it fun for all skill levels
-New baskets are the best I've seen
Cons: -Some tee pads are in rough shape
-Flow is fairly logical but I still felt like we were "guessing" where to go at times
-Mosquitos are a problem
-Baskets are mis-matched
Other Thoughts: There were no other lunatics there in the pouring rain except for an employee of Mr. Daniels who was very friendly and helpful. He graciously agreed to take our picture looking back at 18 after we completed our round and gave us directions to the General Store on the way to Meeman-Shelby. The course itself is nothing short of tremendous. You can tell that a lot of work goes into the course and will continue to be put in down the road. #6 is probably my favorite hole that I have ever played, a water hole in the woods. Amazing! There are a few baskets that are rough looking but also many of the holes featured brand new DGA baskets that are really nice. It even has a clubhouse! I'd love to play it again under better weather conditions.

Very Nice Course

2-4    8/20/2009   9/6/2009
Review By: zudalu
Pros: Very will maintained. Loved the lay out of the course. Great mixture water, elevation, long, and short, open, and through the trees. The most maintained course I have ever played.
Cons: No signs or distance markers make first time playing rough.
Other Thoughts: I like 2 hours aways, and it was worth the drive to play this course.