Millington, TN
Bud Hill - Original Share

Awesome course

1    7/24/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: This course is one of the best courses I have ever played. It has every type of shot imaginable, including several beautiful water hazard holes. Every hole has a great tee pad (concrete), many with multiple tees, well built benches (even some under a shaded roof), trash cans and bag racks. The "original" 18 hole course is easily one of the best, beautifully manicured and enjoyable course I have ever played. The "ridge" course is an additional 9-holer that requires precise technical shots to master and makes a great warm-up course. The site is devoted entirely to disc golf and has a clubhouse and tented area for relaxation or cookouts. The private nature of the course, along with the secluded location, achieves the goal of keeping out the riff raff. The course was easy to navigate without a map and each hole was easy to see the shot required (not many blind shots). There are some unique holes that introduce power lines, poles and other interesting obstacles/decoration.
Cons: Quite honestly the only thing that was slightly deterring was the drive to the place. It is quite literally in the middle of nowhere according to a GPS and anyone who is unfamiliar with the area. If the course were moderately ranked, we would have turned around and drove away. The high rating drove us onward and we eventually made some right turns to find our way there. This could also be considered a good thing however, because it keeps out everyone except those dedicated to the sport.(No park traffic or non-golfers).
Other Thoughts: The course has awesome custom baskets that are painted blue with a high-visibility orange strip on the pole. These are the coolest baskets I have ever seen. Not only should you drive out of your way to play here, you should bring some money to pay the owners, Danny and Barbara, for all of the hard work they have put into this course. They were some of the nicest people we have encountered on a disc golf course and were generous enough to host us last minute as we passed through Memphis.

Bud Hill

1    11/27/2010   5/15/2011
Review By: VoodooDangerbird
Pros: Wonderful course.
Wooded and stately trees.
A 'ridge' course of short holes that demand precise throws.
Cons: It's far from where I live.
Other Thoughts: I wish they built more courses like this one and that there were more courses dedicated to excellence like this course.

Fun private course

1    12/19/2010   3/2/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays on rolling hills with a mix of open spaces, lightly wooded areas, and dense forest. There are a few water hazards throughout the course to add some risk/reward challenges, and they're used really well to add difficulty and variety to the course. Most holes have some kind of elevation change, which definitely adds to the fun factor for me, as well as keeping the open holes from getting too repetitive.

The wooded holes offer lots of different shot shaping challenges. You'll need to hit some tight lines to score well on those holes, and they are a nice mix of left and right turning holes. There's a good mix of hole lengths here, with a couple long bombers, some really short technical holes, and a great variety in between.

The concrete tees were in nice shape, always an impressive plus at a private course. The baskets were also in good shape, they seemed fairly new for the most part. The property was well kept, I didn't see any trash laying around, it's great that people respect the hosts' hospitality here. There's a clubhouse at the parking area, great for tournaments or relaxing in between rounds.
Cons: There are a few too many open holes for my taste here, though this is a really minor con as they at least included elevation and/or water on many of the open holes. Some of the wooded areas, especially on the newer "Ridge 9" need some clearing. A few fairways are still poke and pray type shots where a good score is more about luck than skill. The Ridge still feels unfinished, but with the shape the rest of the course is in I can't imagine it'll stay that way long. Signage was a little lacking here, totally understandable at a private course but I do like to know where I'm throwing and how far it is (though navigation was really easy here despite the basic signage).
Other Thoughts: I love seeing private courses like this, and it's awesome when owners are so welcoming to the disc golfing public. The $5 to play is well worth it here, and I imagine most if not all of that goes right back into the course. Beginners will likely be a bit frustrated here, with enough length, water carries, and tight woods with harsh punishment for missed lines to make it a pretty tough course. It's not quite a place that will challenge gold level players but it's got a lot of fun challenges and variety for us mere mortals. I would definitely recommend a stop here if you're in the area.

2-4    3/24/2009   11/19/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Bud Hill is an enjoyable and challenging course set on a spacious and beautiful piece of land outside of Memphis. The course is very secluded as it is way out of town and you basically take a dirt road until it dead ends at the course! This is a private course, but it is usually no problem at all getting permission to play- just call or e-mail Danny and you will find he will be excited about you coming to play.

The course only had 18 holes the last time I played here, but I see that it now has 27. I loved the course with 18 holes, so I hope the new holes just add to an already great course. Most of the holes had concrete tees and some kind of signage. The course itself has everything you would want in a round of disc- longer, open holes mixed in with well-designed shorter wooded holes. There is plenty of elevation utilized in holes that tastefully play up and down. There are straight shots and doglegs in both directions. There are several holes where water comes into play and these are spread throughout the course, not all in a row. The water shots are not impossibly long, but do require accuracy. You will also find many interesting man made obstacles- power lines, semi-trailers, gazebos, birdhouses, etc. that help add to the charm and the atmosphere of this private course on farm land.

I love that the holes here offer a good variety and little to no repetition- each hole is unique and there are several memorable holes, a characteristic of the best courses. I really appreciate the thoughtful balance of playing in the woods for a couple of holes, then in the open for a couple, then back in the woods, and so on (rather than the front 9 open and the back 9 wooded which you see all the time at other courses.)
Cons: As is the case with most private courses it is difficult to upkeep and mainly because it does cost money, so I understand why the signs are not uniform and some of the baskets are not the standard quality you would find in a public park. However, many of the baskets had been upgraded when I came back to play here a 2nd time a year later. It is obvious that improvements are continually being made when funds and time are available. There was also an occasional dirt or carpet tee, but it is possible these will be concrete some day if not already.

I am not sure exactly how many holes we played (possibly 18-20) as the signs were not the best. There were also a couple of temp baskets we saw, but never played to. (including one right in the middle of #3's fairway - we always joked about getting a black ace!) We thought they might just be for practice or for other types of games during tournaments since they were close to the clubhouse, but now it seems likely that these holes are probably a permanent part of the 27 holes. Hopefully the holes are now clearly numbered so people don't miss out on any of holes here.

Note: From reading other reviews of people who have played here more recently, it seems many of the cons are now taken care of.
Other Thoughts: I could go on and on praising this course. I really appreciate the work that is done here creating and maintaining this wonderful course. Be sure to put in a couple dollars in the box by tee #1, and then when you finish go back and put in a couple more $ after you see that it is very deserving.

I have played nearly all the courses in TN and this is clearly the best. It is a must play if you are in the area, and is possibly worth a longer drive when you factor in the other decent courses in the Memphis area as well.

*Again, the course now has 27 holes, it has been a little over a year since I last played here, and I have not yet played the additional holes, but hope to sometime soon. When I do I will edit my review to include the new 9. (The addition of the new 9 holes, pro baskets, and uniform signs may bump Bud Hill up to a 5.0 rating for me, and I can't wait to find out if I need to…!)

The Standard

5+    3/20/2003   8/20/2010
Review By: vegeta727
Pros: I haven't played this course in a number of years, but there is no doubt in my mind that it is still as great as I remember. The Daniels were kind enough to let some friends and I camp on their property back in 03'. We played disc golf morning, noon and night for three days. Bud Hill, in my mind, will always be "The Standard."
Cons: None

Excellent Course

1    7/24/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: memphisrider93
Pros: Very good variety of holes between wooded and open shots. Excellent but challenging layout especially at snake hole.
Cons: Tee pads are not very fun to work with on a few holes and are hard to run on to. I also was not expecting the plants to burn your skinif you touched them.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful land that the course is on and thanks to the Daniels on an exceellent job of keeping up the course.

5+    5/5/2010   8/3/2010
Review By: Harpua
Pros: awesome!!!!
The atmosphere is great and the course was in great condition.
One thing I loved about it was there was an extra 9 holes just for practice/specialty shots.
Open fairways, tight fairways, water, elevation, low ceilings, high ceilings, club house, concrete tee pads, accurate signs and benches. It really has it all.
Another pro is that it is a private course.
Cons: NOTHING!!!
Other Thoughts: The daniels are awesome. The whole family from senior to Jr. to Trey are great people. I dont want to forget the Daniels ladies, they are the nicest women. The family loves the sport and it shows. Cant wait to play it again. Thanks to the Daniels for the course and the hospitality you always show when I am up there.

Must Play IMO

1    7/5/2010   7/7/2010
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 8/8/2010
Pros: Original 18 has good mix of shots, distance, and some water to contend with. More wide open than wooded, but still challenging. The new baskets are super sweet, and the tees are all concrete. Great all around course. The Ridge 9 is very short and technical. It is also a good course that is worth playing while you're there. The people are awesome.
Cons: Some of the tee boxes on the original 18 were shorter than I like. It is hundreds of miles away from my house. :(
Other Thoughts: You will rarely find a course that is this much fun. You will never find nicer people. Play it, enjoy it, and then contribute to their fund.

Best course in the Mid-south!

5+    5/3/2010   5/4/2010
Review By: volmed10
Pros: Everything.

Large teepads, immaculate maintenance, great variety of shots, amazing people, etc. It really is hard to list all the positives, and find any negatives. Danny Daniels is a top notch host, even if you are a regular (like me). The folk that play at the Hill are some of the nicest you will meet in disc golf, and the only time you will not find someone sitting around the campfire by the clubhouse ready to play is around midnight. And even then, you may just find some players out there throwing a round of glow.

The Ridge is phenomenal as well. It is completely different than the "classic" Bud Hill style hole, but that is the point. It was put in there to bring a different feel, and also to make the course even more well rounded. The holes are very short, but the majority of them are extremely technical. If you want to park your car at a course that allows you to throw long open bombs, tight wooded long drives, and very technical short drives, look no further than this course.

Also, signs have finally been added, which include distances from the different teepads and also the location of the next teebox.

Yes, some holes are tricky when it rains, but that will only make a person a better disc golfer. Any course will play more difficult when wet, and this one is no different.
Cons: Honestly, I cannot find any issues with this DGC.
Other Thoughts: The best course I have ever played. Period.

Incredible Private Course

1    12/28/2009   1/4/2010
Pros: 1) Private course that very likely does not get real crowded. This is a bonus because if it was in a public park the course would be in worse shape, more compaction and more erosion, plus more trampling of the turf.

2) Dual concrete teepads are in good shape. Some holes even have 3 sets of tees, but apparently aren't used often. There was one tee I think that had carpet because of tree roots or just the location.

3) Tee signs are adequate for knowing where you are because they are all numbered.

4) Plenty of benches on the course for the slow tourney rounds and waiting for people to resolve OB situations and finding discs. Course also has garbage cans all around the course. Being a private course I would expect people generally will do a better job picking up their own garbage, but it is always helpful to be consistent with placement and frequency.

5) Maintenance is evident. Danny was unable to be at the course when I played because he fell off a ladder trimming trees. I can even imagine the scene, with a ladder on uneven compact soils just to get that one pesky branch or widow maker. I hope he recovered quickly. I even noticed areas of the wooded holes that had obviously had some leaf blowing done . . . specifically to help prevent people from losing discs in the leaves. Not only had those two valley holes been blown, but they had also received overseeding or a winter ryegrass. The grass wasnt lush or anything but it is enough to help prevent erosion, and it will help to keep people from slipping in some spots.

6) The clubhouse although rustic and run down is an awesome thing for a disc golf course. It has a couple couches, a tv (oddly enough leveled with an extra disc (thanks for pointing that out Stephen), a bar area (although primitive), a grill, a firepit outside, and all sorts of things that would make it a great place to just hang out all day. If this was my local course I would go there every weekend . . . play a couple rounds, eat lunch, play another round or 2, and then hang out by the firepit.

7) Atmosphere is incredible even though I didnt play the course during a tourney or when Danny and his wife are out there. Sdervan even told me they often cook for the people in the tourneys and such, how awesome is that? I mean come on its like they just want people to have a wonderful time. Sounds to me like they should find some more areas on the property and offer camping and call it a bed and breakfast.

8) Design and layout of this course was awesome. It flows very well from basket to next tee. I do not know Danny's history with the game but I have a feeling he was/is a great player. He used the property incredibly, it has uphills downhills sidehills, tight tight fairways, open fairways with spotty trees, it has water, it has left to right shots and right to left shots and combinations of many of these things. Every hole has some challenge and you better not let your guard down.

9) Shepherd hooks are even on some or most of the tee box areas. Those are helpful on wet days to keep your bag from getting all muddy which in turn would get all over your back.
Cons: 1) I think somewhere along the way someone put a tee sign in the wrong spot and the next few were also off by one because of this. I do not remember however how it resolved itself to end on 18.

2) Course has some tough areas due to compaction. Some of those wooded holes have some bare soil and even more spots of really rooted up ground. These rooty areas are all due to erosion because those roots would normally be under the soil.

3) Signage is lacking, not a huge deal but for a first timer who may not have been as lucky as I to have a local show me, they could get lost from time to time, they would eventually find all the holes, but a simple teesign would be better than just a #.

4) Some of the baskets are not the newest kind, but I know that will be taken care of. I know I put my $5 donation in and if you play it once please chip in $5 or whatever you can. For people that always play it I would think paying $1 per round would be enough, equivalent to what we pay for a tourney or league at any course.

5) Course is not even close to being beginner friendly. There are simply too many shots needed to survive this course. Water to throw over, tight wooded holes to plinko, some OB areas where you can easily throw a disc into that you may not be able to reach. This isnt considered in the rating because it obviously was designed for tourneys and tourney players. Shortening some of the holes up would help in promoting beginners, but it just isn't that type of course.
Other Thoughts: I feel that the 18 hole course is virtually seperated from the other 9, therefore I have also written the review seperately. I also feel like they still may be a little bit work in progress. I am not sure how long the new 9 have been there, but they just seemed to still be undergoing some projects and maintenance.

Review of The Ridge 9
Pros
1) Every hole is tightly wooded and plays very differently than the other course. it give the entire 27 holes better balance.

2) This 9 is very short in comparison to the other 18 holes and that also helps to balance the overall length of the whole course.

3) Executing some of these shots is difficult, especially if you miss a mando. You can layup to make an easy par on the mando holes and sharp doglegs.

4) Tees are in good shape and the signs are helpful in direction and # of hole, but none have distances listed or the distances listed are written by some punks, or maybe they are just trying to be funny. No hole is over about 225 I think on this 9.

Cons:
1) Not sure a few of these holes are birdieable, I like holes that challenge but I also think that there should be risk/reward on choosing to layup for par, or try and make the entire curve of the hole on one shot to layup for birdie.

2) There isn't much risk/reward with some of these holes because even if you overthrow or hit a tree and underthrow, the holes are short enough for an easy layup and 1 putt for par. The only thing keeping you from getting a par would be missing a mando or missing a putt.

3) A couple of these 9 holes are too gimmicky for me, they may involve some luck as an equal portion to making a par or birdie. I like shots that just require a well executed shot to get your birdie, not luck also.

ALL IN ALL:

I loved this course . . . I got to play with a local that helped. He gave me information I would never have gotten and it certainly raised my image of this course. It is an awesome design, it is an even better property and the atmosphere the owners and locals would bring to this place I could see why it would be the hotbed of Westerm Tennessee. It was a ton of fun to play and am so happy I was able to go there. I will be back sometime and look forward to the opportunity. it was a great way to start out my 3 week trip to Florida. I do have to say I know the course is well maintained but the only thing keeping it from being a top course is probably some of the areas that could use improvements and/or maintenance. So what I am saying is this course is a 4 in my eyes in terms of maintenance and current conditions, it is a 4.5 overall for design, layout, and facilities, and it is a 5 for atmosphere. With all of that said I have to give it an overall 4.5 because I would play it just as frequently as I would want to play Winter Park, Silver Creek, Bryant Lake and all the other 4.5's I have given. It is way more likely to draw my time if compared straight up against my other 4 rated courses. If some of the maintenance issues like erosion and compaction I would very well give this course a 5 rating. It simply does not compare to the overall experience I had with my only 5 given at Blue Ribbon Pines. It could be there down the road however in my humble opinion. I loved it . . . thanks Danny.