Millington, TN
Bud Hill - Original Share

Best course in the Mid-south!

5+    5/3/2010   5/4/2010
Review By: volmed10
Pros: Everything.

Large teepads, immaculate maintenance, great variety of shots, amazing people, etc. It really is hard to list all the positives, and find any negatives. Danny Daniels is a top notch host, even if you are a regular (like me). The folk that play at the Hill are some of the nicest you will meet in disc golf, and the only time you will not find someone sitting around the campfire by the clubhouse ready to play is around midnight. And even then, you may just find some players out there throwing a round of glow.

The Ridge is phenomenal as well. It is completely different than the "classic" Bud Hill style hole, but that is the point. It was put in there to bring a different feel, and also to make the course even more well rounded. The holes are very short, but the majority of them are extremely technical. If you want to park your car at a course that allows you to throw long open bombs, tight wooded long drives, and very technical short drives, look no further than this course.

Also, signs have finally been added, which include distances from the different teepads and also the location of the next teebox.

Yes, some holes are tricky when it rains, but that will only make a person a better disc golfer. Any course will play more difficult when wet, and this one is no different.
Cons: Honestly, I cannot find any issues with this DGC.
Other Thoughts: The best course I have ever played. Period.

Incredible Private Course

1    12/28/2009   1/4/2010
Pros: 1) Private course that very likely does not get real crowded. This is a bonus because if it was in a public park the course would be in worse shape, more compaction and more erosion, plus more trampling of the turf.

2) Dual concrete teepads are in good shape. Some holes even have 3 sets of tees, but apparently aren't used often. There was one tee I think that had carpet because of tree roots or just the location.

3) Tee signs are adequate for knowing where you are because they are all numbered.

4) Plenty of benches on the course for the slow tourney rounds and waiting for people to resolve OB situations and finding discs. Course also has garbage cans all around the course. Being a private course I would expect people generally will do a better job picking up their own garbage, but it is always helpful to be consistent with placement and frequency.

5) Maintenance is evident. Danny was unable to be at the course when I played because he fell off a ladder trimming trees. I can even imagine the scene, with a ladder on uneven compact soils just to get that one pesky branch or widow maker. I hope he recovered quickly. I even noticed areas of the wooded holes that had obviously had some leaf blowing done . . . specifically to help prevent people from losing discs in the leaves. Not only had those two valley holes been blown, but they had also received overseeding or a winter ryegrass. The grass wasnt lush or anything but it is enough to help prevent erosion, and it will help to keep people from slipping in some spots.

6) The clubhouse although rustic and run down is an awesome thing for a disc golf course. It has a couple couches, a tv (oddly enough leveled with an extra disc (thanks for pointing that out Stephen), a bar area (although primitive), a grill, a firepit outside, and all sorts of things that would make it a great place to just hang out all day. If this was my local course I would go there every weekend . . . play a couple rounds, eat lunch, play another round or 2, and then hang out by the firepit.

7) Atmosphere is incredible even though I didnt play the course during a tourney or when Danny and his wife are out there. Sdervan even told me they often cook for the people in the tourneys and such, how awesome is that? I mean come on its like they just want people to have a wonderful time. Sounds to me like they should find some more areas on the property and offer camping and call it a bed and breakfast.

8) Design and layout of this course was awesome. It flows very well from basket to next tee. I do not know Danny's history with the game but I have a feeling he was/is a great player. He used the property incredibly, it has uphills downhills sidehills, tight tight fairways, open fairways with spotty trees, it has water, it has left to right shots and right to left shots and combinations of many of these things. Every hole has some challenge and you better not let your guard down.

9) Shepherd hooks are even on some or most of the tee box areas. Those are helpful on wet days to keep your bag from getting all muddy which in turn would get all over your back.
Cons: 1) I think somewhere along the way someone put a tee sign in the wrong spot and the next few were also off by one because of this. I do not remember however how it resolved itself to end on 18.

2) Course has some tough areas due to compaction. Some of those wooded holes have some bare soil and even more spots of really rooted up ground. These rooty areas are all due to erosion because those roots would normally be under the soil.

3) Signage is lacking, not a huge deal but for a first timer who may not have been as lucky as I to have a local show me, they could get lost from time to time, they would eventually find all the holes, but a simple teesign would be better than just a #.

4) Some of the baskets are not the newest kind, but I know that will be taken care of. I know I put my $5 donation in and if you play it once please chip in $5 or whatever you can. For people that always play it I would think paying $1 per round would be enough, equivalent to what we pay for a tourney or league at any course.

5) Course is not even close to being beginner friendly. There are simply too many shots needed to survive this course. Water to throw over, tight wooded holes to plinko, some OB areas where you can easily throw a disc into that you may not be able to reach. This isnt considered in the rating because it obviously was designed for tourneys and tourney players. Shortening some of the holes up would help in promoting beginners, but it just isn't that type of course.
Other Thoughts: I feel that the 18 hole course is virtually seperated from the other 9, therefore I have also written the review seperately. I also feel like they still may be a little bit work in progress. I am not sure how long the new 9 have been there, but they just seemed to still be undergoing some projects and maintenance.

Review of The Ridge 9
Pros
1) Every hole is tightly wooded and plays very differently than the other course. it give the entire 27 holes better balance.

2) This 9 is very short in comparison to the other 18 holes and that also helps to balance the overall length of the whole course.

3) Executing some of these shots is difficult, especially if you miss a mando. You can layup to make an easy par on the mando holes and sharp doglegs.

4) Tees are in good shape and the signs are helpful in direction and # of hole, but none have distances listed or the distances listed are written by some punks, or maybe they are just trying to be funny. No hole is over about 225 I think on this 9.

Cons:
1) Not sure a few of these holes are birdieable, I like holes that challenge but I also think that there should be risk/reward on choosing to layup for par, or try and make the entire curve of the hole on one shot to layup for birdie.

2) There isn't much risk/reward with some of these holes because even if you overthrow or hit a tree and underthrow, the holes are short enough for an easy layup and 1 putt for par. The only thing keeping you from getting a par would be missing a mando or missing a putt.

3) A couple of these 9 holes are too gimmicky for me, they may involve some luck as an equal portion to making a par or birdie. I like shots that just require a well executed shot to get your birdie, not luck also.

ALL IN ALL:

I loved this course . . . I got to play with a local that helped. He gave me information I would never have gotten and it certainly raised my image of this course. It is an awesome design, it is an even better property and the atmosphere the owners and locals would bring to this place I could see why it would be the hotbed of Westerm Tennessee. It was a ton of fun to play and am so happy I was able to go there. I will be back sometime and look forward to the opportunity. it was a great way to start out my 3 week trip to Florida. I do have to say I know the course is well maintained but the only thing keeping it from being a top course is probably some of the areas that could use improvements and/or maintenance. So what I am saying is this course is a 4 in my eyes in terms of maintenance and current conditions, it is a 4.5 overall for design, layout, and facilities, and it is a 5 for atmosphere. With all of that said I have to give it an overall 4.5 because I would play it just as frequently as I would want to play Winter Park, Silver Creek, Bryant Lake and all the other 4.5's I have given. It is way more likely to draw my time if compared straight up against my other 4 rated courses. If some of the maintenance issues like erosion and compaction I would very well give this course a 5 rating. It simply does not compare to the overall experience I had with my only 5 given at Blue Ribbon Pines. It could be there down the road however in my humble opinion. I loved it . . . thanks Danny.

This course has it all

1    10/9/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: shyguy30
Pros: -Great mix of open, lightly wooded, and tight wooded holes
-Terrific use of water hazards and elevation changes
-Multiple tees and pins on each hole make it fun for all skill levels
-New baskets are the best I've seen
Cons: -Some tee pads are in rough shape
-Flow is fairly logical but I still felt like we were "guessing" where to go at times
-Mosquitos are a problem
-Baskets are mis-matched
Other Thoughts: There were no other lunatics there in the pouring rain except for an employee of Mr. Daniels who was very friendly and helpful. He graciously agreed to take our picture looking back at 18 after we completed our round and gave us directions to the General Store on the way to Meeman-Shelby. The course itself is nothing short of tremendous. You can tell that a lot of work goes into the course and will continue to be put in down the road. #6 is probably my favorite hole that I have ever played, a water hole in the woods. Amazing! There are a few baskets that are rough looking but also many of the holes featured brand new DGA baskets that are really nice. It even has a clubhouse! I'd love to play it again under better weather conditions.

Simply the Best

1    10/9/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: Bud Hill ranks #1 on my list of courses I have played. I played the course under some of the worst weather conditions imaginable and it still was everything I could hope for and more in a course. The land is absolutely gorgeous and immaculately maintained. Be ready to throw every shot in your bag. The course has widely varied terrain. It plays uphill, downhill, wooded, park-like, open, water shots (my favorite being a tee shot over a pond---in the woods). The intangibles really take this course over the top. There is great signage, courses flows very easily, plenty of benches, bag hangers, a clubhouse, and lots of cool little "landmarks" throughout the course. I can't the Daniels' enough for the love and care that they have put into the course...it oozes out on each hole. A real pleasure and I wish I lived in the area and could play it more. By the way, the are replacing all of their baskets...about half way there. The new blue powder coated baskets are awesome and look great.
Cons: Mosquitos were pretty rough and we were playing during a torrential rain...can't imagine how it would have been without the rain. That's my ONLY complaint.
Other Thoughts: I only played the original 18 so that is what this review is for. I am sure there are better courses out there, but I sure haven't played any...so for me, this is a 5 disc course. Closest thing to disc golf heaven I have experienced in my few years of playing.

A MUST PLAY IN WEST TN

2-4    10/6/2009   10/6/2009
Review By: sdervan
Pros: This course has it all. You need to be able to throw well and know that every aspect of your game will be tested. uphill, downhill, water, woods, open, left, and right. You have to pull out all the tricks you have in your bag to finish close to even. Great host in Danny and wife are so nice. I love how private the course is. No passing cars. Great people out there as well.
Cons: sometimes the mosquitos can be bad but not when they spray.

Very Nice Course

2-4    8/20/2009   9/6/2009
Review By: zudalu
Pros: Very will maintained. Loved the lay out of the course. Great mixture water, elevation, long, and short, open, and through the trees. The most maintained course I have ever played.
Cons: No signs or distance markers make first time playing rough.
Other Thoughts: I like 2 hours aways, and it was worth the drive to play this course.

Thanks Bud Hill

1    6/18/2009   6/19/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
Wow! Where to start?
- First of all... I emailed for reservations a week in advance and got a prompt reply. I called the day before and recieved nothing but kindness from Danny over the phone. He told the locals I was coming and had several players waiting for my arrival to guide me around the course, including his grandson Trae - the coolest disc golfing kid I ever met... an absoulte gentlemen... and, a good golfer too (he'll be kicking all our asses in a year, if he doesn't kick your ass already). I really felt like they rolled out the red carpet for me - Thanks Bud Hill.
- This course is manucured like no other private, mountainy, championship style course I have ever played. It looks like a ball golf course with woods tossed in.
- Awesome holes! Long, short, left, right, s turns, rollers, tight, open, water, elevation - can't say enough.
- The clubhouse, the parking, the privacy, the Bud Hill community of golfers I met.
- There is a state park nearby with two more courses in it.
Cons:
- The new back 9 is unbecoming of Bud Hill... to put it nicely. The shots are weird, with crazy mandies. It just doesn't fit... However, it is new and I expect that over time they will manacure it more completely and redesign some of the holes so they are of Bud Hill quality.
- Signage was lacking... there may have been maps and scorecards in the clubhouse, but I didn't check.
- That's it... it is hard to find any cons when you play a course as epic as this.
- This course immideately jumped into my top 5 - sans the new back 9.
- If you do play Bud Hill and then go to the Shelby course nearby... eat lunch at the diner on the corner approximately 2 miles after the state park entrance. Get the chicken wrap with jalapenoes... Bomb!
- Thanks Trae and Pete for the round... and Danny for setting it all up. Truly Awesome!
- My Score: -3

1    5/21/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: peabody
Pros: Too many to list. Manicured to perfection. Looks like a golf course with beautiful flowers and shrubery. Bag hangers at most tees. Good long concrete pads. Sometimes three pads on one hole. Course flows nicely and the pin positions were well thought out. ( A disc golfer designed this one, not a parks dept. idiot) Clubhouse and parking and beautiful scenery are what makes this course stand out. The finishing hole is worth the price of admission alone. Did I mention how nice Danny and Company are.
Cons: The water was up and we couldn't play 6 and 7. Couldn 't find the tee for #4. They had temporary baskets placed in spots that could have confused you. Play with someone who knows the course when the water is up.
The worst though was the Mosquitos. Billions of mosquitos that love DEET. I think they drink Cutter for breakfast. We played one round and had to leave.
Other Thoughts: I suppose when the river is down the mosquitos wouldn't be so thick. I bet I sucked down over 100 of them into my lungs! Other than that, this is what a disc golf course should be. Thanks Danny for wonderful eye candy.

Does it get any better?

1    5/2/2009   5/20/2009
Review By: Dillon_Gourley
Pros: Great variance of shot selection. Course has everything from short technical holes to more open long throws. Water comes into play on a couple of holes. Some straight shots, downhill , uphill, it has everything.

Multiple pads and pin placements.

Very well taken care of course owned by some really nice people who love disc golf.
Cons: No signs for the holes.
Some of the baskets have seen better days but can't complain because most of them were donated.

Some of the tees can be very tricky after it has rained especially if they are covered in mud.

Be sure to bring as much bug spray as possible. I have never been bit by more mosqitos in my life.
Other Thoughts: I really hate the first time I saw this course it was pouring down rain so I did not get to enjoy this course in it's full beauty.

If you are ANYWHERE near this course it is a MUST stop.

Contact the owners if you plan to drop by.

A must play!

2-4    5/6/2009   5/19/2009
Review By: tdortch
Pros: This course is my favorite to date. As others have said, it offers everything you want from a course without being intimidating while still being challenging. Uphill/downhill, water, precision shots, etc. It's all there. The owners are very cool and do a wonderful job of course maintenance. I'm not a big fan of risky water shots, and the water on this course is just about perfect for me. There's only one on there that kinda scares me, but in the 3 or 4 rounds I have played, I have not gone in yet - it's a downhill shot to a water-side basket on the left of the pond. Another water hole is kinda the reverse - you start level with the pond and the basket is on the side of a hill on the other side. So, even with my water phobia (i've lost 6 discs in the last month, mostly to water), I still enjoy those holes. The layout is well thought out also and the course flows really well.
Cons: I don't really have any cons for this course. Some of the baskets only have one row of chains, so I guess that's a negative. But, the last time I played there, some of the club members had added inside rows on a few of the one-chainers, so it seems they are taking care of this too. I really didn't want to put any cons on here, because I love this course so much, but I'm trying to be as subjective as possible.

Other Thoughts: The icing on the cake is the community. I have not met anyone yet that wasn't really cool. It's just a unique experience in that you feel right away that you're part of some secret DG club. Please make sure to donate when you come here, because they really do put a lot of work in this course and it's worth every penny. If you don't come here to play at some point, you're really missing out on something special.

Thanks, Danny and Barbara! I'll be back for sure.