Millington, TN
Bud Hill - Original Share
Uploaded By: NoahPeterson Hole #5 (Taken 12/2011)
Hole #5 Tee: Basket is up the hill, serious drop off behind

Memphis Best!

1    11/19/2011   12/12/2011
Review By: allenbosox
Pros: This course has an excellent mix of holes - wooded, open, elevation changes, water, etc...EVERYTHING is here. The nine hole challenge course presents a really good opportunity to work on the short game and navigating obstacles. The course is very well maintained, well laid out, and easy to navigate. The course can be a little hard to find for a first-timer. This is a good thing because it keeps the course from getting too crowded.
Cons: Many of the tees leave a little to be desired. Maybe I'm spoiled by the 12' long concrete tees common around Texas where I play. I played on a damp day, and footing on many of the tees was an issue. When it's dry this shouldn't be a problem.
Other Thoughts: This is a private course, and they obviously put time, effort and CA$H into maintaining it. Please leave a generous donation in the drop box near the first tee. Make sure to say "hi" to do-rag when you see him. You'll know who he is. As always, please do not throw trash on the ground. They provide plenty of trash receptacles around the course. All in all, this is easily the best of the courses I have played in the Memphis area!

5+    10/1/2011   10/18/2011
Review By: Tmac811
Pros: A disc golf sanctuary! this place is gorgeous and always in great shape!

Challenges every aspect of your game on both courses, the championship caliber 18, and The Ridge 9 hole wooded course.

With elevation changes, long drives, left & right turning shots, mandos, water holes and tight trees. You will need every shot in your bag to tackle this course.

Cons: Skeeters can be bad. Be careful of snakes too.

other than that there are no CONS about this place.
Other Thoughts: The Ridge 9 hole course is challenging as well . Always fun to play a putter or roc only round.

On a beautiful piece of property owned by some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

$$ ALWAYS DONATE$$

Awesome course

1    7/24/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: This course is one of the best courses I have ever played. It has every type of shot imaginable, including several beautiful water hazard holes. Every hole has a great tee pad (concrete), many with multiple tees, well built benches (even some under a shaded roof), trash cans and bag racks. The "original" 18 hole course is easily one of the best, beautifully manicured and enjoyable course I have ever played. The "ridge" course is an additional 9-holer that requires precise technical shots to master and makes a great warm-up course. The site is devoted entirely to disc golf and has a clubhouse and tented area for relaxation or cookouts. The private nature of the course, along with the secluded location, achieves the goal of keeping out the riff raff. The course was easy to navigate without a map and each hole was easy to see the shot required (not many blind shots). There are some unique holes that introduce power lines, poles and other interesting obstacles/decoration.
Cons: Quite honestly the only thing that was slightly deterring was the drive to the place. It is quite literally in the middle of nowhere according to a GPS and anyone who is unfamiliar with the area. If the course were moderately ranked, we would have turned around and drove away. The high rating drove us onward and we eventually made some right turns to find our way there. This could also be considered a good thing however, because it keeps out everyone except those dedicated to the sport.(No park traffic or non-golfers).
Other Thoughts: The course has awesome custom baskets that are painted blue with a high-visibility orange strip on the pole. These are the coolest baskets I have ever seen. Not only should you drive out of your way to play here, you should bring some money to pay the owners, Danny and Barbara, for all of the hard work they have put into this course. They were some of the nicest people we have encountered on a disc golf course and were generous enough to host us last minute as we passed through Memphis.

Bud Hill

1    11/27/2010   5/15/2011
Review By: VoodooDangerbird
Pros: Wonderful course.
Wooded and stately trees.
A 'ridge' course of short holes that demand precise throws.
Cons: It's far from where I live.
Other Thoughts: I wish they built more courses like this one and that there were more courses dedicated to excellence like this course.

Fun private course

1    12/19/2010   3/2/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays on rolling hills with a mix of open spaces, lightly wooded areas, and dense forest. There are a few water hazards throughout the course to add some risk/reward challenges, and they're used really well to add difficulty and variety to the course. Most holes have some kind of elevation change, which definitely adds to the fun factor for me, as well as keeping the open holes from getting too repetitive.

The wooded holes offer lots of different shot shaping challenges. You'll need to hit some tight lines to score well on those holes, and they are a nice mix of left and right turning holes. There's a good mix of hole lengths here, with a couple long bombers, some really short technical holes, and a great variety in between.

The concrete tees were in nice shape, always an impressive plus at a private course. The baskets were also in good shape, they seemed fairly new for the most part. The property was well kept, I didn't see any trash laying around, it's great that people respect the hosts' hospitality here. There's a clubhouse at the parking area, great for tournaments or relaxing in between rounds.
Cons: There are a few too many open holes for my taste here, though this is a really minor con as they at least included elevation and/or water on many of the open holes. Some of the wooded areas, especially on the newer "Ridge 9" need some clearing. A few fairways are still poke and pray type shots where a good score is more about luck than skill. The Ridge still feels unfinished, but with the shape the rest of the course is in I can't imagine it'll stay that way long. Signage was a little lacking here, totally understandable at a private course but I do like to know where I'm throwing and how far it is (though navigation was really easy here despite the basic signage).
Other Thoughts: I love seeing private courses like this, and it's awesome when owners are so welcoming to the disc golfing public. The $5 to play is well worth it here, and I imagine most if not all of that goes right back into the course. Beginners will likely be a bit frustrated here, with enough length, water carries, and tight woods with harsh punishment for missed lines to make it a pretty tough course. It's not quite a place that will challenge gold level players but it's got a lot of fun challenges and variety for us mere mortals. I would definitely recommend a stop here if you're in the area.

2-4    3/24/2009   11/19/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Bud Hill is an enjoyable and challenging course set on a spacious and beautiful piece of land outside of Memphis. The course is very secluded as it is way out of town and you basically take a dirt road until it dead ends at the course! This is a private course, but it is usually no problem at all getting permission to play- just call or e-mail Danny and you will find he will be excited about you coming to play.

The course only had 18 holes the last time I played here, but I see that it now has 27. I loved the course with 18 holes, so I hope the new holes just add to an already great course. Most of the holes had concrete tees and some kind of signage. The course itself has everything you would want in a round of disc- longer, open holes mixed in with well-designed shorter wooded holes. There is plenty of elevation utilized in holes that tastefully play up and down. There are straight shots and doglegs in both directions. There are several holes where water comes into play and these are spread throughout the course, not all in a row. The water shots are not impossibly long, but do require accuracy. You will also find many interesting man made obstacles- power lines, semi-trailers, gazebos, birdhouses, etc. that help add to the charm and the atmosphere of this private course on farm land.

I love that the holes here offer a good variety and little to no repetition- each hole is unique and there are several memorable holes, a characteristic of the best courses. I really appreciate the thoughtful balance of playing in the woods for a couple of holes, then in the open for a couple, then back in the woods, and so on (rather than the front 9 open and the back 9 wooded which you see all the time at other courses.)
Cons: As is the case with most private courses it is difficult to upkeep and mainly because it does cost money, so I understand why the signs are not uniform and some of the baskets are not the standard quality you would find in a public park. However, many of the baskets had been upgraded when I came back to play here a 2nd time a year later. It is obvious that improvements are continually being made when funds and time are available. There was also an occasional dirt or carpet tee, but it is possible these will be concrete some day if not already.

I am not sure exactly how many holes we played (possibly 18-20) as the signs were not the best. There were also a couple of temp baskets we saw, but never played to. (including one right in the middle of #3's fairway - we always joked about getting a black ace!) We thought they might just be for practice or for other types of games during tournaments since they were close to the clubhouse, but now it seems likely that these holes are probably a permanent part of the 27 holes. Hopefully the holes are now clearly numbered so people don't miss out on any of holes here.

Note: From reading other reviews of people who have played here more recently, it seems many of the cons are now taken care of.
Other Thoughts: I could go on and on praising this course. I really appreciate the work that is done here creating and maintaining this wonderful course. Be sure to put in a couple dollars in the box by tee #1, and then when you finish go back and put in a couple more $ after you see that it is very deserving.

I have played nearly all the courses in TN and this is clearly the best. It is a must play if you are in the area, and is possibly worth a longer drive when you factor in the other decent courses in the Memphis area as well.

*Again, the course now has 27 holes, it has been a little over a year since I last played here, and I have not yet played the additional holes, but hope to sometime soon. When I do I will edit my review to include the new 9. (The addition of the new 9 holes, pro baskets, and uniform signs may bump Bud Hill up to a 5.0 rating for me, and I can't wait to find out if I need to...!)

The Standard

5+    3/20/2003   8/20/2010
Review By: vegeta727
Pros: I haven't played this course in a number of years, but there is no doubt in my mind that it is still as great as I remember. The Daniels were kind enough to let some friends and I camp on their property back in 03'. We played disc golf morning, noon and night for three days. Bud Hill, in my mind, will always be "The Standard."
Cons: None

Excellent Course

1    7/24/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: memphisrider93
Pros: Very good variety of holes between wooded and open shots. Excellent but challenging layout especially at snake hole.
Cons: Tee pads are not very fun to work with on a few holes and are hard to run on to. I also was not expecting the plants to burn your skinif you touched them.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful land that the course is on and thanks to the Daniels on an exceellent job of keeping up the course.

5+    5/5/2010   8/3/2010
Review By: Harpua
Pros: awesome!!!!
The atmosphere is great and the course was in great condition.
One thing I loved about it was there was an extra 9 holes just for practice/specialty shots.
Open fairways, tight fairways, water, elevation, low ceilings, high ceilings, club house, concrete tee pads, accurate signs and benches. It really has it all.
Another pro is that it is a private course.
Cons: NOTHING!!!
Other Thoughts: The daniels are awesome. The whole family from senior to Jr. to Trey are great people. I dont want to forget the Daniels ladies, they are the nicest women. The family loves the sport and it shows. Cant wait to play it again. Thanks to the Daniels for the course and the hospitality you always show when I am up there.

Must Play IMO

1    7/5/2010   7/7/2010
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 8/8/2010
Pros: Original 18 has good mix of shots, distance, and some water to contend with. More wide open than wooded, but still challenging. The new baskets are super sweet, and the tees are all concrete. Great all around course. The Ridge 9 is very short and technical. It is also a good course that is worth playing while you're there. The people are awesome.
Cons: Some of the tee boxes on the original 18 were shorter than I like. It is hundreds of miles away from my house. :(
Other Thoughts: You will rarely find a course that is this much fun. You will never find nicer people. Play it, enjoy it, and then contribute to their fund.