Millington, TN

1 2 3 4 Next >
 Dogwood Classic

1    5/2/2009   5/4/2009
Review By: manglin
Pros: Great course design. It has an excellent variety of open and wooded, short and long, flat and hilly. This course has everything. Lots of trashcans and benches. These are great people to have opened up their private land.
Cons: The hole numbering was a bit confusing, but I think it had to do with the tourney I was playing in at the time. The signs also were not very descriptive of the hole locations and obstacles.
Other Thoughts: This course is on private land, so it may not always be open. I think they are there most of time. When the Daniels are there, they are very inviting. The course is very fun and challenging. It has a bit of "homemade" feel with a variety of baskets and tee pads. It has several epic type holes (one open and two or three wooded holes). Water is play on at least two holes, so beware.

The elite course...for the rest of us!

1    3/24/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: This course has multiple tees, multiple pin locations and defined fairways to reach them all. The atmosphere is 100% disc golf. Since it is private, there is no need to fear hitting small children or innocent bystanders. There are a variety of holes, requiring shots of all shapes. Good uses of elevation are abundant. This is a course where water is prevelant, but not to an annoying point. Each throw over water is manageable...even by those without huge arms. However, an errant shot is punished, occasionally by water. Hole #18 is a fabulous finishing shot over a small pond and really puts the "icing on the cake" of a splendid round.
Cons: There were some scattered random baskets that looked like they were there for no reason. Baskets are not consistent as most are donated. (I don't care about this, but there are some that might)
Other Thoughts: So far, this is the best course I have played in Tennessee. I only wish I lived closer. There is a donation box, and for the level of course that Danny maintains, it is worth the donation.

This course is not "perfect" and I cannot quite give it a 5 even though I would love to. (I have only given two 5s ever...Idlewild and Winthrop) I enjoy Bud Hill more than either of those courses because it doesn't make the round so difficult that it loses enjoyment. Those other courses challenge the top pros, and that does not include me. But for the beauty of the land, the maintenance and design of the course, the hospitality of the folks, and the enjoyment of the round Bud Hill is my favorite place that I have ever played. Not only would I suggest this course to those in the area, but this is truly a destination course.

Everything I expected and more

2-4    12/14/2008   12/17/2008
Review By: johnogorrell
Pros: This course has every shot you could possibly want. Tunnel shots, long rips, ace runs, wide open fairways and a couple water shots. The locals are extremely friendly. I played this course on a fairly windy (lots of gusting) and there were only a couple holes that the wind actually effected my shots.
This is really just a course that you need to experience.
Cons: Because of a lack of tee signs it can be a little bit difficult to find your way from hole to hole, as well as hard to find the pin from the tees on a couple as well. There are sponsors signs on just about every hole, it really wouldn't be that difficult to put up a tee sign as well.
There was also at least one tee that was built into the side of a hill that now has a substantial drop off at the end, making it difficult to do much more then a stand and throw, and personally I just throw better when I can follow through.
Other Thoughts: My cons are pretty nit picky, but a course is going to have to be something pretty amazing to get a perfect 5, but this is currently my absolute favorite course that I have played. The course is fun, the people are great, and the views aren't that bad either.
This is a private course, and the owner has done a lot to make this course absolutely amazing, but he can't do it all on his own. Make sure to leave your donations in the lock box near the info board and hole 1 tee.
This is for sure a MUST PLAY for any player!

LOVE THIS COURSE

1    12/14/2008   12/15/2008
Review By: darnella
Pros: this is one of my top 5 ever. it has everything a course needs length water elevation and good people who support the sport
Cons: only one complaint but not big one no tee signs but the course flowed so well it was not a bid deal
Other Thoughts: if you are within 300 miles play this course........also it is not a pay to play course but they do a lot of work to keep it going so throw them a buck or 2 when you play..thanks Danny you will definitely see me again

5+    11/2/2008   11/4/2008
Review By: bazkitcase5
Pros: Design wise, this course is excellent. This course has a great mixture, featuring good elevation, 2 small ponds, with a good variety of shots. The course is mostly open, but with plenty of trees lining the fairways to force different shots. There are easy birdies on up to tough pars, with a lot of holes in between that will challenge you to get the birdie. Overall, the course is not that difficult to play for pros, but that makes it a fun to play for all skill levels.

This is a private course behind the house of Danny and Barbara Daniels, who are super nice people with a love for disc golf. The course has a club house, disc golf style. At tournaments and local events, this is where the party is, with free primitive camping, lunch and supper for a $5 donation, and a whole lot of fun and fellowship.
Cons: Most holes have good concrete tees, but a couple are lined with rocks, that get very slick when wet. Also, some holes in the woods have old carpet tee pads where the ground is worn, causing bad teeing conditions, all in a compact run up space. As a person with a good sized run up, I tend to feel very uncomfortable teeing on these holes. Luckily they are short shots, but it would suit the course well if the tee pads were up to par with the design of the course.

I believe most of the baskets were donated, so some holes have some very crappy single chain baskets. Also, there are no tee signs or distances on any of the holes, which can make navigation difficult your first time playing the course. Also, remember to bring bug spray and cover yourself with it, and even then, I wish you luck.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to play, but remember to get permission from Danny, as it is a private course. Danny takes good care of the course and $1 donations are recommended at the start of hole 1 whenever you play the course. The cons I listed are money based and likely will be improved as more donations are given to help support such an awesome place. I highly recommend playing here for disc golfers of all skill levels, especially if you are coming for one of the 2 big Memphis tournaments that will feature over 150 players.

Almost perfect

1    10/26/2008   10/28/2008
Review By: davearcher76
Pros: Has it all. great variety. Relatively long with plenty of technical challenges
Cons: It's not my back yard

Has everything!

1    12/27/2007   3/17/2008
Review By: kette_master
This review was updated on 5/4/2009
Pros: This course is well maintained, easy to navigate, and will take every shot in your arsenal. The course is private, but if you contact the owners they'll allow you to play for a small donation.
Cons: None that I can think of...
Other Thoughts: I look forward to playing this course every year I visit Memphis.

1 2 3 4 Next >