Hood River, OR
Hood River DGC Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #8 (Taken 12/2013)

Putt Approach & Poison Oak

1    6/8/2014   6/8/2014
Review By: JerichoBronco
Pros: Decent little putt and approach course. Course has a compact design. Very efficient use of the space. Baskets were nice, has some buckets for garbage. Has a good flow once you figure out which way you are suppose to be going. Even though it was windy, it was irrelevant as this course is staged in the trees.
Cons: Definitely has poison oak. There are also lots of sicker weeds that stab through the soft parts of your shoes. Plenty of underbrush.
For such a small course there is a distinct lack of directions between holes. Also there aren't any distinct tee boxes. Just a sign showing the hole ahead.
Other Thoughts: WEAR PANTS & BOOTS.
This is a very easy course. But it can be used to help hone your mid and approach shots. Not a lot to the course. Most of the shots are pretty straight on at One Hundred-Something feet away. Hole 3 was a nice blind hyzer shot from the top of a ledge, and 6 was a nice little blind shot over a hill but other than those 2 it wasn't very imaginative. Despite that lack of imagination this is a pitch and putt course of for that it delivers. I enjoyed it and plan on going again.

This could be a great family course for those of us with wives and young kids who don't enjoy large courses but they really need to do something about the poison oak and clean up the underbrush better. It's a shame, but I know it's a difficult task to maintain an area of this size.

For those of you in Portland this little course wouldn't be worth the drive up by itself unless you plan on seeing some of the sites in Hood River.

If you haven't made it to Hood River it's a great town. Hit the Full Sail Brewery down the street for some great food then hit the course.

Has this course had a redesign??

1    6/22/2013   6/23/2013
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 6/25/2013
Pros: Reading older reviews of this course I believe that there may have been a redesign and many brush clearing work parties in the not so far past. The Valkyrie Kid's review from 2010 tells of a poison oak and lost disc fiasco of a course; a very different experience than I received here.

You pull up and the course is literally on the side of the road, walk ten feet and here is hole one. All of the holes on the course are under 220 feet, a real pitch and putt so no need for your speed 13 drivers here. Hole one is a nice little 160 foot hole throwing through the gap in some trees and hole two is an open open near the road. Hole three is on top of a little mound throwing downhill and over the rest of the park which is only three acres maybe. There are a few interesting shots here that turn left and right, just a little variation and a couple of slightly up and down holes.
Cons: There are a couple of funky throws here that take you into other fairways but considering the size of the park and the ease and speed in which it takes to play each hole it shouldn't be too bad most days. The small piece of land here really hinders what can/could be done and really this course is a practice course, safari or lunch time course. Great for beating in new putters (or playing SuperClass) and having a fun and a laugh but nothing here to challenge anyone other than Grandma, Grandpa and four year olds.
Other Thoughts: The Valkyrie Kid mentioned briefly in his review of a strange vibe he got from the skaters across the road and I would echo those views three years later. One of the later holes there were some teenagers sitting near this rock pile by one of the tee pads throwing rocks and pine cones near me. I threw my drive and they laughed and kept throwing things, not sure what that was all about but it had thinking about why I was the only person on the course on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Technical but sad

1    9/12/2012   9/14/2012
Review By: CodeMonkey
Pros: Baskets and signs seem fairly well maintained. Decent amount of traffic but not overly busy when I was there. Easy to find from the road/highway. Technical but not terribly ridiculous shots.
Cons: Even with the signs, many holes needed to be scouted. Signs indicated next tee locations but were often still difficult to find without some rooting around or scouting. All the holes were under 200'.
Other Thoughts: This course should be used to practice technical shots and aces. I'm surprised that I didn't land any aces but with one quick one through I came pretty darn close on most holes. Definitely under par on all holes that I didn't completely botch my drives. I bet with a couple rounds I could land a few aces at this course and I'm still a pretty new player.

Midget with Attitude

5+    6/10/2011   1/17/2012
Review By: ohtobediscing
This review was updated on 11/12/2013
Pros: Since the course was reworked in spring 2011 it has improved remarkably. Gone is most of the poison oak, blackberries and scotch broom, so disc-hunting, unless the grass is bolting May-early July, is not a problem.
The whole park is just 7-10 acres, but is dedicated to disc golf, and well-hidden from the roads and one obvious house on most holes. 4 holes are 200'-300'---the other five run 79'-150'--basically, an intermediate ace course. Despite the shortness, it plays like a longer course, due to close/challenging obstacles and sudden/dramatic/multiple changes in elevation. 50/50 wooded/open, but the trees are mostly scrub oak or long leaf pine and will easily slap your disc around. Lavarock boulders/terraces create some of the elevation changes, and are usually intermixed with short ferns, providing a bit of a rain forest vibe.
Noobs will enjoy playing, but kids might find it too frustrating unless they're experienced. As it doesn't attract casual players, I've never seen it crowded here.
Cons: I-84 is 75 yds away-a constant presence. Wind can greatly affect #s 5-9, almost always blowing in from the W/NW. We encountered dog-walkers a few times on the course, but most were polite enough to move on from our throwing lane. There is one large area of blackberries between hole # 3 and tee #s 4-5 that could cause disc angst, blood, cursing, etc.
Other Thoughts: Table at # 4, but no garbage cans, requiring responsibility on the part of discers to help keep the course tidy. Immediately across the street from tee #1 is an excellent city skatepark[the skaters have never interacted with me], playground, and bathrooms. If you've got time, stop at the incredible Double Mt. Brewery/Pizzeria in downtown..

Short but Sweet

2-4    3/26/2011   4/11/2011
Review By: CaptianTrilogy
Pros: This was a great use of the land. The holes were quite short but very fun. There was a deal of easy shot (ex. hole 2) but others had many trees and this made it a tad challenging. One huge pro to this course was the signage, they were very well placed and were extremely clear. The course was laid out very nice. The usage of hills and elevation helped make this course a desirable destination.
Cons: Some cons that I can think of were the fact that during a round a truck pulled up and block hole two and a family with a dog got out, set up a picnic near hole three and began playing fetch with there dog in front of hole five. That being said the locals were not aware of the DGC.
Other Thoughts: There was a local we ran into on our second time around and told us about the old layout and as far as I can tell Hood River parks and rec did a great job at making this course much better than it had been in the past. Great course and will play it again.

Need a confidence boost? Play this course!

5+    1/19/2011   1/24/2011
Review By: Huck Plastic
Pros: -Short but sweet Pitch and putt, can do 18 in under an hour
-Good for beginners
-Good for anyone that needs to work on their short game
-Can be played solo, no spotters needed
- Requires a variety of different and challenging shots
-Controlled underbrush and foliage (winter helps)
-No poison oak
-Very hard to lose plastic
-Never crowded
-Perfect for the lunch or after work round
-Maps at the first tee box
-Good labeling of tees and baskets
Cons: -No holes long enough to warrant a full drive
-Intermediate players will find the course relatively easy
-Much more foliage and underbrush come spring time
-I-84 runs along the back tee box of 7, 8 and 9 which is noisy
-Dog walkers may get in the way at times
-Skate park across the street could bring questionable folk to the area
Other Thoughts: When I read older reviews about HRDGC I was very concerned about playing there. The reports regarding poor layout along with the multiple warnings about poison oak almost kept me away. But I finally went and upon playing, it seemed like the last work party really did a number to improve the layout and poison oak situation. For that I want to give a big shout out and THANK YOU to the local HR disc golfers that worked so hard to improve this course.

There is plenty of opportunity for alternative pin placements to make this a little more challenging on the back 9, please see the review by "Dan-Hyzer" for a summary of alternative pin placements we have concocted.

And Remember, always play the role of "Unofficial Park Steward" as this will invariably improve the courses we play and the image of our sport.

Improved but not perfect

5+    1/19/2011   1/24/2011
Review By: Dan-hyzer
Pros: The Poison Oak is all removed! This is by far the best improvement. It makes it a nice pitch and putt course. It's difficult now to lose your disc. You can still do it if you lose your focus but I haven't lost one there and regularly play there.
Cons: Short course.
Other Thoughts: I've been playing this with another DGCR'er, "Huck Plastic" and we're starting to identify alternate tee spots to make the course longer.

For instance, trying playing the first round as a "front nine" from all the normal tees, then make the following changes on your second time through shoot at the same baskets in the same order, just use these tee adjustments.

1. Normal tee
2. Alternate tee not found yet so use normal but we're looking for another spot.
3. Use teebox for number 7 but shoot to number 3 basket.
4. walk straight back from the normal number 4 tee. As you walk west, you'll start to come out in to the open field. Keep looking on the ground and two stones will be there in a very coincidental position and they'll look like tee markers. This gives you a Hyzer route or anhyzer route.
5. Use Normal tee. Try a tomahawk over the low oaks.
6. Use the tee spot for number three but shoot towards number 6.

7. Still looking but perhaps use the number three tee and shoot towards 7.

8. Thinking about using number 6 tee box and shooting at the number 8 basket. Untested yet.

9. Use the number 8 or number 7 tee area and shoot towards basket 9.

Feedback on these alternate tee pads is welcome, send me a PM!

Don't Attempt To Play This Course Alone!

1    6/25/2010   6/29/2010
Pros: Hood River DGC sits in a small (maybe 3 acre) extremely rugged park across the street from a skateboard park. There were about 50 kids skating while I had the park to myself. I sensed some kind of weird vibe from this. Stepping up to hole one, there is a sign pointing down and saying, "This is poison oak. Please don't remove this." And then naturally, there is nothing there so walking through the rest of the course I'm paranoid about stepping into poison oak.

Hole # 1 is listed at 220' to a blind basket. I consider skipping it due to the risk/reward of hunting for my disc in these poison oak infested roughs. But I throw a couple of overly cautious short lay ups finally finding the basket.

# 2. This hole is 420' into the Bermuda Triangle of lost discsville. I call this a NFW hole. Meaning there's No F- - - - - - Way I'm risking it.

# 3. I wander for a while and finally find the basket I just skipped and the # 3 teepad. It's short and almost safe.

#4 teepad was back with the #2 pad so you have to backtrack to get back to it. #4 is also a NFW hole.

So now I walk back to the pad where both # 3 and # 5 tee off from. By the way, this pad is about 50 feet from I-84. Cars are whizzing by at a 100 miles an hour right next to you. I think I might be clipped by one while in the middle of my back swing. But # 5 is a playable little hole.

# 6 is a short 179' little hyser shot.

# 7 Another NFW hole. I estimate needing five spotters minimum before playing this hole.

# 8 is 173' to a basket so buried that it qualifies as a NFW hole. Probably the shortest NFW hole in America.

# 9 Plays back towards the skateboard park, I think. It's another major NFW hole. The only route I saw was throwing along the street and then sending explorers to find the basket.

On the plus side, lately someone has actually done some mowing or weed-wacking on the course. Probably the FBI looking for bodies.

Cons: Holes will here by be referred to by the PDGA and DGCR recommended number of spotters needed formula (RNOSNF) or by the more familiar RNOSNF. Pronounced Rhino-SNFFF.

Hole 1 - 1-2 spotters recommended
Hole 7 - 4-5
Hole 8 - 3-5
Hole 9 - 4 plus
Other Thoughts: My advice here consists of two options:

Option # 1. With Parks department approval, Using park approved heavy machinery, cut, clear and trim about 90% of the underbrush. Leave baskets where they currently are.

Option # 2. Move every basket closer so that every basket is visible from pad. This would probably leave you with a course with no hole longer than 100 feet. A virtual disc golf pitch and putt course. But that would be much improved over the current inpervious thickety design.

This course is terrible

2-4    5/4/2010   5/4/2010
Review By: cyamasaki
Pros: Nice baskets. Nice skate park across the street. Seriously, even if you don't skate, you're better off going there than this course.
Cons: OK so the area is small, but what really makes this course terrible is the design. There is definitely enough room to make a decent course out of this place. Pins are very close together in some spots, Pin placement is ridiculous, and the maps aren't even close in most cases. Terrible, Terrible design to whoever is responsible.
Other Thoughts: This is the first course I have played that I can honestly say I will never come back to. I had to write this review just in case someone will read it and not have to go through what I did. DO NOT PLAY THIS COURSE.

try a control game and good luck with par on this little one.

5+    9/28/2009   9/29/2009
Review By: k2trcs
Pros: -In HR.
-high quality Mach Vs: practice anyone?
-never busy
Cons: -small space: < 4.5 acres for 9 holes
-difficult layout: some serious backtracking req'd
-minimally maintained, much dry brush.
-some Poison Oak here and there: Be vigilant.
-skater trash
Other Thoughts: -I highly recommend playing this course with slow, control discs. I play with avairs only here.
-Aim for the well-traveled short grass and keep the fun up.
-Many of the holes are really par 4s: #1,#2,#5,#7
-Play #9 from the corner of the park road where some gravel sits...not from back by the tee where you would have to throw up the road. Then you get a short RHBH hyzer fairway shot like is depicted on the Tee sign.
-Feel free to hate this far-from-standard-design while you bogey hole after hole. Once you shoot par here suggest a constructive redesign or travel to North Bonneville or The Dalles. ;)