Marana, AZ
Marana Rock DGC Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #8 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #8 Basket to Tee (Short Position)

< Prev 1 2 3
New Perimeter Layout

5+    7/24/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: chelsea
Pros: The new course play's back by the parking lot after 11 holes which is fantastic because you don't have to carry a gallon of water in your bag just to survive one round. Also 3 holes after that it plays next to the only drinking fountain within miles of the course. It was the first time ever I was able to play two rounds in one day! Lots of difficult and technical shots the new layout holes are much shorter (Thank God) those 1000ft holes are just ridicules!
Cons: It won't be up year round! Only during the monsoon floods...
Other Thoughts: The club should raise some money up and make this a permanent course, I would donate money for a basket!

Adventure in southern AZ

5+    3/23/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: chillis
Pros: Marana Rock is a truly unique experience for AZ disc golf. The course is set in a basin that is lush and green for a majority of the year and is surrounded by a rocky rim where you can find numerous tee pads and baskets. What little actual elevation is present, is used very well to create exciting launch pads or tricky approach areas.

The layout is varied in hole lengths and a majority have well-defined fairways that require a straight shot to avoid the brush. Most holes have multiple basket locations, which are indicated on the tee signs with small locks next to the corresponding position.

A handful of tee areas have benches to rest on. There is a good amount of shade here. If you're playing in the hotter months, make sure to take frequents breaks out of reach of the sun's rays.

There is signage at the front of the park to mark the 1st tee area. It also has a nice bench and practice basket.

Local club is constantly improving this course. Every time I make a visit there's less clutter, more defined fairways, and added challenges, perks, and peril! I love the newly-created window to the basket on Hole 13.
Cons: Although the layout is varied, there aren't any doglegs and few blind shots. You can throw the same long, straight drive off the tee and do well. I feel this can get a little repetitive.

Course is pretty rough and is no easy stroll. Lots of rocky inclines to navigate and thick brush off the fairways. There are also lots of burrs in the middle area waiting to attach themselves to you or your gear.

There aren't any facilities - restroom, water fountain, or pavilion. Bring plenty of water!
Other Thoughts: Course can be massively windy! This is usually more noticeable when on the rim of the basin. I could go either way on this - the wind can provide one helluva challenge, or cause your round to be grueling and feel like punishment. Play it smart, and bring your trusty, stable plastic!

I've heard people say this is a seasonal course and I have seen some flooding (Holes 7, 18). However, I've been able to play it year round and have never had to cancel a round due to the conditions. Perhaps I'm just lucky?!

Needs new course pictures - current ones are outdated and don't give a proper impression of the layout.

Green In The Middle Of All This Brown!

1    3/31/2013   4/1/2013
Pros: After driving through all the brown surroundings, parking in the lot and walking up to the first teepad, I was astounded to see a valley of lush, green grass. Then I proceeded to kinda fall in love with the first hole. 244' off an elevated pad to a basket sitting atop a small hill, complete with guardian trees and plantlife. The landing area is so small and when you miss, you're left with a difficult uphill putt. Great, great opening hole! Kind of set the tone for the whole course for me.
The course sets in this desert valley complete with plenty of mature trees and desert underbrush of all varieties, including some really prickly ones. This desert vegetation is used throughout the course to increase the difficulty and challenge. On many holes, I found myself having to thread my tee shot through a small opening in order to have a chance for the par. I found many of these same holes long and challenging, at least for my noodle arm.
I loved the indicators to show which position the basket is currently in, either A-B or C. Here they use little padlocks locked through the holes in the metaql signs. No-one can be changing those without the keys!

Navigation was a breeze, at least until I came to # 12 and then I promptly got lost and ended up at # 17. Before then, it had been so obvious by the natural flow and by the players trails.
The course is maintained with a lot of care from the local club. Not only is it litter free but a
Cons: I wasn't a fan of # 11 and it's 817' length. I thought it was long just to be long and length served no real purpose. But then again, when one has a noodle arm as I have, as tends to dislike any and all 800' holes.

I don't know what happen after the # 12 hole and how we got lost.
Other Thoughts: My compliments to the local club and to all the work they've done on this course. I'd love to come back and tackle it again. It pretty much kicked my fanny.
I'd also like to come back to to the # 12 basket and try to find my way to the # 13 pad. It's probably fairly obvious!

Great course in Tucson

5+    3/24/2013   3/26/2013
Review By: KDFrosty
Pros: -Well maintained. You can tell that the local disc golf club takes pride in keeping this course clean and free of clutter and debris. The course was recently mowed as well.
-Each hole presents a variety of challenges and encourages the player to use a variety of different shot types
-Tee signs and tee pads are all in great condition
-Shade! I played this course early spring (March), and it was still hot. Luckily there are shady spots on almost every hole, which is good for a desert course.
Cons: -If you're off the fairway you might find yourself in knee deep foliage and plants, which can make it hard to find discs
-In monsoon months a few of the holes can become unplayable because of water, and a few holes will incorporate new basin water hazards. Alt tees are setup
-The course is situated in a location where the wind just rips through a canyon across the course. The lightest wind we had the 3 dfays I played the course was probably 15+mph.
Other Thoughts: I played this course for a tourney, Lockdown at the Rock, and I'd imagine that I saw the course in it's best possible condition. I was really impressed that there was so much vegetation and trees because the drive up to the course is nothing but desert. The locals were more than friendly and willing to show me around the course in a warmup round or two.
I played in spring and was hot, so I'd imagine that this course is VERY difficult to play in the mid summer months unless you're there early in the AM.
Watch for rattlesnakes.

Best in Tucson

5+    1/19/2013   1/29/2013
Review By: bsnone
Pros: Lots of variety in distance (240ft - 817ft) fun use of elevation changes - a few holes set on mounds. Good variety of pin placements (the signage shows 2 or even 3 different basket placements) that changed at the first of the year (not sure how often the changes are made) Easily the most challenging course in the Tucson area. Little to no traffic other than disc golfers. Now that the trees are more mature, a few more finesse shots are required (thinking 9 and 14)
Cons: Really only playable 7 months out of the year as the rest of the time it is flooded. There are a few holes with stickers everywhere which gets really annoying after a while. A little worried as to what all the erosion is going to do to this course long term - it may flood out completely in 10 or so years.
Other Thoughts: Generally not a beginner friendly course as distance is rewarded over just about everything else on at least half of the holes. Certainly is a course that will force several aspects of your game to improve. Certainly not the best course I've played but it is easily the best Tucson has to offer.

Fun desert course

1    1/1/2013   1/7/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large park that seems to be disc golf exclusive. There are some minor elevation changes that are used well to add some variety and a couple fun rollaway pin locations. There aren't a ton of real trees, but the trees that are available and the brush around the park are used well to define landing zones and punish errant shots.

There is great distance variety, with shorter ace runs, reachable longer holes and a few shots where you can really air out a drive and need to place your drive well to have a good look on your second shot. The concrete tees are in nice shape, and the signage is great. It shows length and layout for both pin positions, with a small lock on the sign to show the current position. The alternate placements add some variety, with different distances and a few that force different types of shots. The kiosk by the first hole has a nice course map, and there is a practice basket.
Cons: This is a shot placement course, not really a line shaping course. A few too many of the holes are open and allow for pretty much any kind of line off the tee as long as you get to the fairway or landing zone. The design makes the best of the available foliage and elevation, but it's still a pretty wide open layout.

The ground can get pretty muddy even after just a little rain. The mud is very thick and sticky, and can be tough to get off shoes and discs. A few of the holes could use next tee markers to get from one hole to the next, even a painted rung on the basket would be plenty to make navigation easy.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course a little long, but it's not too easy to lose discs and errant shots are only moderately punished. Experienced players will find some nice distance challenges, and will have to be accurate to rack up the birdies, but won't find themselves challenged too much to hit creative lines or small gaps. I recommend a stop here if you're in the area, it's a fun round with some nice views.

good course

1    1/3/2013   1/4/2013
Review By: Psicko
Pros: The course is very diverse in not only the holes, but landscape. The course terrain varies from desert to lush. The wildlife is pretty cool too (maybe a con for some people). I got to see a coyote when I played. There are plenty of benches and trashcans available. Most, if not all holes have multiple pin locations. The pin location is noted by a lock in the tee sign, which I think is a pretty clever way of doing that. Some baskets are put on ridges and mounds to increase the risk/reward benefit. The course definitely punished or rewarded you depending on if you threw a bad shot or a good shot. Definitely is a challenging course.
Cons: This course is not beginner friendly. I had a decently hard time with it being my first time out there and not exactly sure where to go next. It would be better if the tee signs showed where the next tee box was. I didn't see any water fountains, but I really wasn't looking for them. I'm used to packing a lot of water for the courses in Arizona. No bathroom facilities. There is ample privacy though.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this course was a blast to play. I can't wait to play it again. Definitely wear sturdy shoes.

For quicker directions, get off at Twin Peaks Road, and go north on Coachline Rd, and follow the normal directions

Just Awesome

5+    11/3/2012   11/10/2012
Review By: darwinskatana
This review was updated on 12/16/2012
Pros: Every type of hole or shot you can want.Can be difficult at time which makes it challenging. One hole is 800 plus distance. Lots of walking and hiking around.
Cons: You kinda need to have long distance drives most of the time.Can not play this course after it rains. Very easy to lose a disc if dont have accurate drives.During the summer very hot.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. Bring lots of water

1    10/20/2012   10/24/2012
Review By: jimcramer24
This review was updated on 1/29/2013
Pros: Liked the diversity of the landscape and the mountains in the background.
Cons: Holes 10-14 were difficult to play with all the overgrowth and bristles you had to wade through to get to the baskets. This was most likely due to recent flooding in the area. I had to skip 13 and 14 because I couldn't find the tee boxes and only found 14's basket on accident when I went to 15's tee box.
Signage that points to the next hole would be nice too. Without a map, this course is hard to navigate. #7 has two tee pads, one that points into the middle of a "lake", which I guess will be dry in the non-monsoon season.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed holes 1-9 and 15-18. I would like to play this course again when it is drier. However, I live in Ohio, and played this on a visit to AZ, so I am not sure when I will get to play it again. Nice course, tho.

Wish it Was Not Flooded

1    8/17/2012   8/18/2012
Review By: highdesertdisc
Pros: Interesting holes that cover a great deal of ground. Some really challenging ones which are a ton of fun. I really dig the large tees as well. The view off hole 8 is incredible!
Cons: Definately a seasonal course, there was much flooding which cut off paths to holes and tees, espicially right now with the moonson rains.
Other Thoughts: Bring bug spray or reap the consequences.

< Prev 1 2 3