Aurora, CO

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Effluential Course

1    11/29/2014   11/29/2014
Review By: little oz
Pros: Excellent tee pads
Well spaced holes, no perceivable overlap
Grass and park is well maintained; no chance of losing a disc, save the obvious water hazards
A lot of ace runs
You get a certain thrill (similar to that moment before you check Lotto numbers) wondering if your disc didn't land on a goose turd.
Cons: -Goose crap everywhere
-Course lacks challenge-if you can throw a controlled hyzer 330 feet, then you have this course covered. Even my scientifically proven body of diminishing bone and muscle density could reach all but 3 or 4 holes
- I had no idea that open sewer systems were still around. I thought those went away after The Big Stink in Victorian London (1858) forced the authorities to finally take the sewer system underground. No doubt that a US cholera epidemic would incubate here

Other Thoughts: Having just dropped my heir off at DIA and with my faithful companion (Rocky, an 18 month old Doberman) at my side, what's a chappie to do at dawn but to find an unplayed course on the way home? I thought it would be a lark to bounce a mile off the 225 to play this course.
After an ineffectual moment of limbering up my grandmaster limbs, I peered nervously at Rocky at the first tee. While his loyalty is unrivaled, he is yet to be able to discern a play disc from a golf disc. Choosing a much-hated stalker as a decoy disc,I threw it a bit off line and off he went. Staring him down like the referee stares down the Hanson brothers in Slap Shot, I then threw my tee bird. Showing great talent for pissing me off, he then took off for that disc as well, collecting both at once.

We reconciled at the 2nd tee and banded together to confront the evil horde of geese that barred our path to the pin. We muscled through that hole, but our unity fractured at the 3rd hole, as he cleverly elicited false hope in me by not chasing the drive, but elected to confiscate my beloved soft wizard on the approach shot. 7am on a Saturday morning is not a rum time for shouting while innocent citizens sleep, so I pantomimed a tantrum while he gleefully chomped dozens of punctures and indentations that resembled a novel in Braille upon its innocent surface.

After returning from intensive couples therapy, Rocky and I returned to finish the round under a sort of truce, as we were much kinder to each other, and I have already usurped too much of your time to continue.

Perhaps the most poetic moment came at the end of the round while I sat in the driver seat of my car with the door open. A goose perfectly emitted a butt shuttle that hit me on the shoulder and in the crotch, as if to say "don't ever come back!". Message received loud and clear. Thanks Expoo-sition Park!

Close to Metro Denver

5+    8/9/2014   8/17/2014
Review By: chips n salsa
Pros: Closest 18 hole course to downtown Denver area there is (though is still 20+ minute drive from there).
Lots of chance for birdies and aces.
Well marked and easy to find tees (except far a couple of holes you have to cross the bridge to find).
Cons: Always accumulated water and some mosquitos
Always seems to be a family or two with many kids on the course which can hold you up sometimes.
Easy to lose discs on the drink on some holes.
Other Thoughts: Great course and always fun.

Gets a bad rap, but a fun course!

5+    7/25/2014   8/1/2014
Review By: troberts
Pros: Good city course that is easily traversable if its dry. Water adds great challenge, has decent length and makes the most of the elevation in the park. Fairly well maintained.
Cons: Wet and muddy, most of the time. Water holes are fun, but if your plastic gets wet, its gone! DO NOT go into the water, there is a good chance it will make you sick! Locals dive for discs every so often, but they WILL NOT call if your number is on it. Twice, I've had someone try to sell me my own disc. Otherwise, the plastic will end up at play-it-again sports, off of Hampden and Tower.
Other Thoughts: Good play, fun for families and pets.

5+    7/13/2014   7/15/2014
Review By: Rowick
Pros: Its pretty

The tee pads are really nice

its good from beginners

its well maintained (biggest problem being its in a low spot so the course is almost always wet)

there are a lot of interesting birds here I've seen pelicans, cormorants, and even some snowy egrets as well as the usual ducks and geese
Cons: in some places like 3-5 you're basically just throwing back and forth across a field

very easy to lose disc on 2, 12 and 13 and a few others if you're way off course

almost no change in elevation

signage could be a bit better though there is a course map. 3 is probably the hardest tee box to find from the previous pin (its across the bridge and a little ways down the path) also 12 is though to spot from 11 (its just up the hill to your left)

its pretty easy
Other Thoughts: I live about half way between this one and village greens and I will almost always chose this one over village greens

Too Much Water

5+    6/16/2014   7/3/2014
Review By: josch
Pros: -Water creates many risk/reward situations
-Grass is mowed
-Out of bounds creates a challenge
Cons: -Water is in play on almost every hole
-Very high chance of losing a disc
-Water is disgusting
-Other park users often obstruct holes
-Holes 9-12 can get very muddy
Other Thoughts: This course has too much water. It's too easy to lose a disc.

Nice course in well-maintained park

1    9/1/2013   6/8/2014
Review By: djros
Pros: Huge concrete tee pads on every hole, with hole number and distance in the concrete itself - some of the nicest pads I've seen. The water comes in to play on most of the holes, including one hole with a carry of about 200 feet over part of one of the lakes. The holes make a figure 8 around a pair of lakes in a nicely maintained park with nice amenities and mowed grass fairways. Decent mix of long and short holes.
Cons: No signs, but every hole is pretty open, and it's pretty obvious where the basket is from the tee. Trees only come in to play on a couple holes; otherwise, this course is almost entirely open with the exception of the two lakes. Not much variety in terms of hole shape. Unless you want to chose shots shapes that are always over land to avoid losing discs, you are never really forced to throw specific lines, and you can pretty much throw the same shot from every tee.
Other Thoughts: I don't usually like water holes, especially holes that force you to carry significant bodies of water but this course is still fun. The carry over the lake on #2 is manageable with a good throw. Some of the baskets are a bit close to the water's edge, but I guess with the course being so open, that does provide a little extra challenge. Even though the course is open, the water does force you to be accurate in the same way trees would, only if you miss to the water side, you can't recover like you would from hitting a tree. I'm not crazy about the prospect of losing discs to lakes, but once you get over that, the course is still enjoyable, and if you focus on hitting the correct line, you should be able to avoid putting a disc in the lakes.

Popular Denver Course

1    4/10/2014   4/12/2014
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: +This course looks to be very popular. The locals were friendly and always let me play through. I was a fast playing solo course bagger and they understood.
+Ponds here for water hazards. Approachable yet challenging for many skill levels. There was always a pretty safe shot even if you can't throw far.
+Good variation in distances here. Some ace runs and some that will test the distance potential of many.
+Very well maintained and lanscaped. There was evidence of ongoing maintenance near the ponds when I played.
+Large concrete tees which are numbered to aid in navigation.
+There was a logical flow to the course which was good for me as a traveling player. You will likely have the chance to throw with or behind a local to help your navigation as well.
+Disc golf was fairly secluded from the rest of the course. You are unlikely to hit anyone.
Cons: -There were a few trees here, more than some other course in the area but still not many. There was rarely a hole that made you hit a certain line.
-Other than a few somewhat memorable holes, the course kind of blended together. I think that I would get bored if I lived near here. Not sure where else I would play though.
-The ponds smelled.
-The park looks like it would hold a lot of water after precipitation. Pretty dry right now though.
-Losing a disc is a real possibility.
-Could get pretty windy.
Other Thoughts: -There were a few holes that had a decent fun factor with the water.
-This is the best course in it's area of Denver but I did prefer Camenisch Park and DHU over this course. Denver is lacking in quality courses so if you don't have time to head to the mountains, this isn't a bad bet.

As Flat As Denver Can Be

1    7/17/2013   8/6/2013
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Park Setting - I absolutely love park-style courses, though I prefer a few more mature trees than Exposition Park provides. The park is well-maintained and clean. Sidewalks were in great condition. Grass was mowed. Landscaping was excellent. Exposition park is an aesthetically pleasing place.

Water - The course plays around a small creek and over a feeding pond at the back of the park. There is plenty of challenge, especially on windy days, and for out-of-towners who are not used to the additional disc stability from the elevation .

Pin Placement - The best attribute of Exposition Park, in my opinion, are the pin placements. Lots of risk/reward. Most are tucked fairly close to the water. Birdies are available, but aggressively going after that 50-foot putt can really mess you up if you're long.

Baskets/Pads - Baskets looked to be in good condition and all caught well. Pads were awesome. Very large providing plenty of space.
Cons: Redundancy - The course is so open that you can simply throw your preferred line off of every tee. For me, I was simply throwing gentle hyzer after gentle hyzer. You could easily play this course well with a driver, a mid and a putter.

No Tee Signs - Crossing back and forth over the creek as much as you do, it would really help if tee signs were there. Directionals pointing to the next tee at each basket would also be fine, but we didn't see any of those either. The pads have hole distance written into the concrete, but signs would be helpful for navigation.

Hole #1 - 'welcome to our course. Please throw ~270 feet in front of you with no obstacle of any kind'. That's really Hole #1. Nothing that gets the blood pumping for an exciting round. In my opinion, you should NEVER open or close a course with the most bland hole.

Goose Poop - It was everywhere. Tread carefully.
Other Thoughts: Exposition Park was a fun little stop since it wasn't far from the hotel. We were told it was in the "bad" part of town, but it didn't look too rough to me. I've definitely played in much seedier areas. Bottom line: the course is wide open, and really not that long. The only challenges are provided by the presence of water on most holes and the wind, which seems to get a little crazy at times.

While it was very short, #18 may have been my favorite hole in the Denver area. It is a great closing hole despite it's lack of distance. Water on the left of the fairway and long. A couple of planted trees in various parts of the fairway, though none over 8-10 feet in height. If you're up by a stroke, it can be intimidating knowing that you really need to birdie the hole, but the difference between a birdie and an OB bogey is very small. Great little finishing hole.

If you're in the area, Exposition Park is not a bad place to get in a quick round. The park can be a little crowded, but not nearly as crowded as Johnny Roberts or some of the other park courses in the Denver area. Don't go out of your way to play the course, but I don't think anyone would "hate" playing it, if it were convenient. It is a "typical" course, with water and pin-placement balancing out the wide open nature of the park.

wide open

1    7/27/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: templink
Pros: Nice teepads with hole # and distance on them.
Fairly scenic walking park with a small lake the course plays around.
Cons: all holes repetitive and wide open between 250 and 320'. The one longer hole is 400, also wide open.
Virtually no challenge for advanced players.
Beginners might lose discs in the water.
Some fairways were swampy and pins were surrounded by mud/water (not by design).
Other Thoughts: would not play again. I was near Denver airport and found this course.

1    7/17/2013   7/23/2013
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Public park course playing over grassy fairways around several small lakes and a creek. Some of the best concrete tees anywhere- large, grooved with curves that point in the direction of the basket, with hole number and distance etched into them. The baskets are in great shape. Hole placements are tricky and strategic helping to make up for the lack of other obstacles.
Cons: Most holes were very wide open and had little to no obstacles. Yes many holes played next to the lake or creek, but there was also a generous and safe area to play the hole safely with little risk.

No tee signs, just pads, (info on the pad), but this makes it hard to see where they are the first time playing, especially since the course crosses the lakes multiple times.

This course is supposedly in the "not-so-good" part of town, but compared to many other places I have played with this reputation.
Other Thoughts: I played when it was very windy making it much tougher, but on a calm day this course would get fairly repetitive and easy to master being mostly just wide open. This is a good place to get out and learn to throw discs with ample room to work them.

I played here mainly because it was close to where we were staying when visiting, but if you are coming on vacation this is one that is not worth going out of your way to play. I have played many average courses like this in many cities across the U.S.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8