Aurora, CO

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
 Suburban Hell

1    11/19/2008   11/19/2008
Review By: disconsolator
Pros: The course has some of the most original and functional teepads I have seen. Imagine the symbol used for "signal strength" except 10 feet long. Baskets are really nice and park has a clean look.
Cons: There is goose crap everywhere. You could put your bag in it, slip on it on the tee, get it on your disc etc.
The landscape of the course is barren, no big mature trees, no bushes, no life really. It makes it difficult to be creative with the design -which where the con of the water comes in. There are some man made lakes that run through the course. I'm all for some water shots, but to make the course "challenging" by putting 14 or so of the baskets within 25 feet of water is just poor. Again, the risk should lose you strokes, not discs. Maybe one or two close to the water when you really have to challenge and make that decision to go for it or not is fine, but laying up or playing safe so you don't lose a disc almost every hole is not disc golf. I guess without these shots, the course might be even worse.
Other Thoughts: Not too much you can do with a flat sterile park like that I'm afraid.
Really bad public sculpture as well.

Picturesque Disc Golf

1    8/22/2008   10/31/2008
Review By: ERicJ
Pros:
DGA double chain baskets in good condition. Huge concrete tee pads. Ample parking. Practice basket. Course map sign. There are enough benches and trash cans located at various points along the walking/jogging trail. Hole information etched in concrete tees makes it difficult to vandalize. Very nice multi-use park.

The latter part of the course does a figure-eight around the lake which works nicely to keep a balance between favoring RHBH vs. LHBH shots. There's some minor elevation changes on a few holes.
Cons:
Basket #9 and tee #10 are close to the lake edge and show visible evidence of frequently getting flooded. A local told me that the course doesn't drain very well and is often very soggy after rain. Hole information etched in concrete tees makes it difficult to update distances if baskets move as was apparently the case on #4: as the tee it says 402' when in reality it's 329'. But seeing how the baskets are installed with a concrete ring around them, moving in the future seems unlikely. Being a multi-use park there may be some holes where walkers or joggers interfere with throws.
The lack of traditional tee signs isn't that big a deal since the tee pads are so ginormous, they're easy enough to spot if you're looking for them.

The course plays mostly open shots with pin placement or water crossings adding the challenges and keeping it interesting. However, this is not that challenging of a course for a good REC player or above; I shot a 51 my first time there. This was the easiest of the seven 18+ hole courses I played on my Denver trip. I didn't realize there were alt/pro/long tees until I got to #18 (which is a really cool shot from the long tee). A local told me that the alt/pro/long tees are mostly around the sidewalk marked with white paint. It was a very enjoyable round of golf at Expo and I would easily go back again, though I'd try to find the alt tees the next time.

Scarry Water

1    10/18/2008   10/21/2008
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This course is in a very nice big and open park. There are very few things that inhibit play and the course rules further make play confined to areas where fewer passers by will be in the way. The tees are incredible nice and each hole is well marked and visible from the tee. One can get a map and score card in the community center right near the first tee making navigation significantly easier.
Cons: This is probably one of the shortest courses that I have played though distances were very well varied throughout. Water is a very significant part of this course. There are so many discs thrown into the water that there are regular guys that come out just to find lost discs in the lakes. There is a fair amount of trash on a few holes near the water left from when water levels are higher. This was an extremely busy course on the weekend. Besides the water I did not think that this course was all that challenging and I scored extremely well for the first time playing a course. Flooding on this course is likely and would inhibit play on a couple of holes significantly.
Other Thoughts: Bring something with you to help you retrive water discs, or play the long way on a few holes and skip potential water hazards all together. I did wak away with a couple of beat up discs that I was able to grab from the waters edge. For the first time playing you will definately want a map as a lack of signs makes it hard to know when you need to cross the water to get to the next tee.

An incredibly beautiful course

1    9/2/2008   9/11/2008
Review By: Greg Layton
Pros: - Best teepads I've ever seen. You can do the hokey-pokey, turn yourself around, and still have room for a decent X-step.
- Good restrooms, quite a few benches and trashcans.
- Water in play to varying degrees on most holes.
- Just an incredible park... the lack of signs contribute to an incredibly clean and peaceful park. It seems to me that the designer wanted to preserve as much of the natural beauty of the area as possible.
Cons: - No signs. This is by design, however, as each tee pad has the distance and hole number marked on it.
- Tee #10 in particular seems to be at risk of going under water after a heavy rain.
- Minimal elevation.
Other Thoughts: I played on a dry day so that obviously had a positive influence on my review. There seems to be a high flood risk here, so be advised going in that conditions are highly variable.

bring change of socks!

8/19/2007   5/19/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Expo park is the king of disc golf in east Denver. OK, as far as I know it is the only course on the east side of Denver. The name of the game here is water. Not many holes are water free. The park centers around a flood area that has a creek that bubbles into three small ponds. The creek area has some bushes to contend with. I brought old shoes and a change of socks and it made for a fun round.

It's a park course with all of the benefits that come from playing in a park. Restrooms and course maps are available at the Expo Center which is right by the parking lot off of E. Exposition Ave. The grass is in good shape. The tee pads are huge and well marked. The two longest holes are 402 and 399, most are about 300. The most fun holes in my opinion, are those which have you clearing water, 2, 12 and 13. Number two has a memorable drop zone.

There is a group of people who were dragging the pond in chest waiters. I saw one of them retrieve discs on multiple occasions for people who were playing. I personally have no problem paying someone for a disc that I threw over or into something I would not myself be willing to go get myself. Nor do I have a problem giving up discs that I don't go after. Some people may see this as a con, but I have to go with "pro" on this issue. Expo has a large enough disc golf scene that I feel the pond people are providing a service.
Cons: There are some creek crossings that can be confusing at 1-2, 2-3, 7-8, and 14-15. One to two was a longer from-basket-to-tee than I anticipated, I got turned around and had to wait until the next group came along to figure it out. As a park course you may have to deal with people on the bike path or a soccer team practice. The city made a cement ring on the ground around the basket area which seems nice, but also seems to limit the number of pin positions to just the one. The trees are mostly small, 9-12 have some big shady trees that come into play. I imagine scores can be pretty low here.
Other Thoughts: When I played you could see the high water mark from the most recent storm, by the amount small (gum wrapper/used sucker stick) trash left behind along with twigs and pine needles. The flood must have buried this course, I'd like to hear from a local to know how long it takes to use the course again, when flooded, and if the city ever removes the garbage accumulation.

Give it time

5/14/2008   5/14/2008
Review By: cdeane
Pros: This course show great potential. Very nice concrete tees, many opportunities for birdies, I like the way the water comes into play on many holes. Once the trees mature this could be a great course.
Cons: No par indicators for the holes, ponds are full of trash, some holes were overly muddy on a clear day with no rain (9&10)I watched many a disc being retreived (when possible) from the water.
Other Thoughts: Quite a few players out for a Wednesday afternoon, and even though the park was busy throughout, it didn't interrupt the flow of play. #13 is a particularly wicked hole especially for a lefty or forehand driver.

Great Medium Park

7/21/2007   8/20/2007
Review By: DigIt
Pros: This course is in a very nicely manicured park in the middle of Aurora. Shorter holes make for an easier more relaxed game. Not a lot of elevation changes either for ease on the knees.
Cons: Trash. This place can get very bad and the water in the center is nasty to say the least. Also, never go after a heavy rain, this place floods like no ones business.
Other Thoughts: All in all worth the visit when in the Denver area. It isn't my favorite in Colorado but I do enjoy the course for a change.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >