Aurora, CO

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
 An incredibly beautiful course

1    9/2/2008   9/11/2008
Review By: Greg Layton
Pros: - Best teepads I've ever seen. You can do the hokey-pokey, turn yourself around, and still have room for a decent X-step.
- Good restrooms, quite a few benches and trashcans.
- Water in play to varying degrees on most holes.
- Just an incredible park... the lack of signs contribute to an incredibly clean and peaceful park. It seems to me that the designer wanted to preserve as much of the natural beauty of the area as possible.
Cons: - No signs. This is by design, however, as each tee pad has the distance and hole number marked on it.
- Tee #10 in particular seems to be at risk of going under water after a heavy rain.
- Minimal elevation.
Other Thoughts: I played on a dry day so that obviously had a positive influence on my review. There seems to be a high flood risk here, so be advised going in that conditions are highly variable.

bring change of socks!

8/19/2007   5/19/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Expo park is the king of disc golf in east Denver. OK, as far as I know it is the only course on the east side of Denver. The name of the game here is water. Not many holes are water free. The park centers around a flood area that has a creek that bubbles into three small ponds. The creek area has some bushes to contend with. I brought old shoes and a change of socks and it made for a fun round.

It's a park course with all of the benefits that come from playing in a park. Restrooms and course maps are available at the Expo Center which is right by the parking lot off of E. Exposition Ave. The grass is in good shape. The tee pads are huge and well marked. The two longest holes are 402 and 399, most are about 300. The most fun holes in my opinion, are those which have you clearing water, 2, 12 and 13. Number two has a memorable drop zone.

There is a group of people who were dragging the pond in chest waiters. I saw one of them retrieve discs on multiple occasions for people who were playing. I personally have no problem paying someone for a disc that I threw over or into something I would not myself be willing to go get myself. Nor do I have a problem giving up discs that I don't go after. Some people may see this as a con, but I have to go with "pro" on this issue. Expo has a large enough disc golf scene that I feel the pond people are providing a service.
Cons: There are some creek crossings that can be confusing at 1-2, 2-3, 7-8, and 14-15. One to two was a longer from-basket-to-tee than I anticipated, I got turned around and had to wait until the next group came along to figure it out. As a park course you may have to deal with people on the bike path or a soccer team practice. The city made a cement ring on the ground around the basket area which seems nice, but also seems to limit the number of pin positions to just the one. The trees are mostly small, 9-12 have some big shady trees that come into play. I imagine scores can be pretty low here.
Other Thoughts: When I played you could see the high water mark from the most recent storm, by the amount small (gum wrapper/used sucker stick) trash left behind along with twigs and pine needles. The flood must have buried this course, I'd like to hear from a local to know how long it takes to use the course again, when flooded, and if the city ever removes the garbage accumulation.

Give it time

5/14/2008   5/14/2008
Review By: cdeane
Pros: This course show great potential. Very nice concrete tees, many opportunities for birdies, I like the way the water comes into play on many holes. Once the trees mature this could be a great course.
Cons: No par indicators for the holes, ponds are full of trash, some holes were overly muddy on a clear day with no rain (9&10)I watched many a disc being retreived (when possible) from the water.
Other Thoughts: Quite a few players out for a Wednesday afternoon, and even though the park was busy throughout, it didn't interrupt the flow of play. #13 is a particularly wicked hole especially for a lefty or forehand driver.

Great Medium Park

7/21/2007   8/20/2007
Review By: DigIt
Pros: This course is in a very nicely manicured park in the middle of Aurora. Shorter holes make for an easier more relaxed game. Not a lot of elevation changes either for ease on the knees.
Cons: Trash. This place can get very bad and the water in the center is nasty to say the least. Also, never go after a heavy rain, this place floods like no ones business.
Other Thoughts: All in all worth the visit when in the Denver area. It isn't my favorite in Colorado but I do enjoy the course for a change.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >