Cheyenne, WY
Romero Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: srm_520 Hole #6 (Taken 6/2009)
Hole #6 - Pin looking back at tee.

A Serious Case of when Good Courses go Bad

1    6/24/2009   6/25/2009
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/28/2010
Pros: The biggest pro of this course its use of elevation in about half of the holes. The general layout is good considering the piece of land it's on, and they designers made interesting use of the few trees as obstacles by the pins. Other highlights may happen in years to come as the park develops.

BEST HOLE/S: #5
Cons: Where to begin? This was one of the poorest disc golfing experiences I have ever had. There are a few things one must consider about these cons: construction and the fact that I played the course recently after Cheyenne had a one of the wettest last four weeks on record.

First, the grass was horrendously tall. I felt like Malikai from Children of the Corn could have stepped out from multiple areas and strike me dead - which might have been okay. Again, Cheyenne just had ample rain, but some areas of grass were seriously chest high. I was lucky but thought I lost a disc multiple times.

Interesting side note - there was a group of Angora goats going to town on the far end of the park, so at least they are in heaven. (Cheaper than mowers and probably more effective on the hills I guess.)

Second, the current construction project has destroyed all parking off of Parsley as well as holes one and nine. I parked on the opposite side of the course one the far right side of hole eight. The poor pins to holes one and nine were lying by a tree rusting away.

Third, the mosquitoes are worth a mention. Again note the rain, but I have never, never been attacked by so many mosquitoes in Cheyenne in my life. It felt like I was back home in Houston it was so bad. I'm sure this problem could be remedied however is the corn fields of grass were chopped down.

Fourth, and maybe most important is the general layout, hole length, and shot variation. All shots are straight with trees and don't force much imagination. Also, the lengths on the site are dreadfully inaccurate. I know I didn't drive my Boss 350' up a slope in windy conditions on hole seven, but it sure made the ego feel good. Hole eight is also much shorter than indicated.

Finally I wonder why only one area of the "park" (the park term is loosely used since it's more of a field) was in use. The far more interesting area of the Ramero was covered in goats, so maybe the thought is nine more holes at a future date. One can hope.

WORST HOLE/S: #3
Other Thoughts: Let me say how excited I was to get a crack at Ramero being the only course in my hometown I hadn't played yet. I think the worst part of the course was simply the let down at how much it underperformed in almost every aspect. If it weren't for the great elevation and the potential this place has I would have nothing good to say about.

I hope the city follows through on its promises about what the park will become - but for now, please mow the grass (or eat it), spray, finish the construction, replant the pins, fix the yardage problems, use the rest of the land better, and improve the tee boxes (which everything else was so bad they didn't get it big mention) and I will play it again. Maybe.

a work in progress

5+    3/29/2008   3/29/2008
Review By: DGtourist
This review was updated on 7/12/2009
Pros: ***Update*** The construction is finally here and the course is suffering at the moment. (I'll change my grade as the results of construction dictate).

This is my favorite of the southeast Wyoming nine hole courses. Cheyenne is not a very hilly place so it is cool to have hills come into play. The wind is tricky here and there are plenty of different shot variations based on that. There are very few trees but this course finds them. Until the park is put in this a Wyoming prairie course. Fight the wind and let it rip, especially on the 940 foot #8. The tee area of #5 provides you a great view of the rail road, and the capital.
Cons: The area that is being redeveloped is a sketchy place not far from the railroad. You may see plenty of shady characters wandering around through the field. There is heaps of old junk piled up waiting for the park to be created and be a thing of the past. I've noticed that golfers are starting to just leave their trash on the ground for now too. The tee markers are tall and I smacked my hand hard against one. (But hey, at least its marked). The alternate pin placements are only feet from each other on most holes. The course will be easy on the rare day without wind due to few trees and short distances.
Other Thoughts: For the next few years (hopefully not longer than that) a review of Romero will be unreliable until construction of the park is finished. I hope they do build the proposed pond, and it comes into play. The city does not want any drinking in the park by disc golfers.