Atlanta, GA
Park Sign

trying to be upbeat

1    10/19/2013   10/29/2013
Review By: friskydiscy
Pros: So much potential, some great holes, good location
Cons: layout was confusing, barely anything marked, save some money from the goats and put up signs please.
Other Thoughts: It's in the building stages and they are doing it right, but I just hated playing it at this stage of the game. We got lost even playing with a friend who has played it a few times before. Going to be one of the best around very soon though.

Good But Not Great

1    7/25/2013   8/3/2013
Review By: dandther
This review was updated on 3/17/2014
Pros: *Nice layout for many of the holes along the creek. Challenging but fair
*Excellent use of elevation changes
*Very good baskets
*Good mix of left and right curves
*Good variety of holes (until you reach the woods)
*Several holes are really well designed. 2 and 3 use the creek nicely. 16 is brilliant, the basket is perfectly placed among the trees.
Cons: *Tees are not yet finished. They'll be nice when done. They'll be concrete with stone walls around them on the elevation. The day we were there workers were doing the stone work. They had one the wood forms for the concrete for the tees backwards (15 or 16 I think), with the narrow part pointing away from the basket. We pointed this out to them, hopefully they fix it before pouring concrete.
*It is very hard to find your way around the park. A few simple signs directing you to the next hole, or even helping you find the basket from the tee, would help.
*Some of the holes in the woods have very little realistic "fair"way. I'm OK with this as long as the course is balanced with woods/open shots, and if there is variety in the wooded holes. Perkerson is right on my personal edge of having too many tightly wooded holes. Also, some of the wooded holes seemed too much alike. This is totally subjective, and I'd gladly play again, but it will never be a favorite because of this.
*The tee for the fifth hole was right behind a wall of trees/brush. That's fine for a "pro" tee, but there should be an option for beginners that allows for an open throw. Maybe there is one that we couldn't find (see note about finding your way around the course).
*18 is 850 feet uphill with a creek on the left and a narrow pathway through trees to reach the basket. Nice idea, but it seemed difficult for the sake of being difficult, nothing more. Why not divide that section of the course into two holes and eliminate one of the repetitive pinball holes in the woods?
*Add some benches or seating to give people a chance to rest.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed myself at Perkerson Park. Many of my "cons" are based on the fact that the course is still under construction. Given some time, my rating could go up. I'm rating it as it was when I played it, not on its potential.

Speaking of potential...Courses mature as they are used, as things like navigation signs, benches, etc. are added. This course should mature into a close to great one.

FEB 2014 UPDATE: I received a personal message from an ATL DGer that may of my "cons" have been addressed (I noted the park was under construction when I played it in the summer of 2013.) I would love to play this course again to see how the improvements have been incorporated into what I described last summer as "close to a great" course. I'm not sure if I'll make it back to ATL (from Michigan) any time soon, but I would highly recommend that if you're in the area, you should check out this course.