Atlanta, GA
Perkerson Park Share
Uploaded By: JSurmann Hole #10 (Taken 7/2014)
Hole #10 Black Tee Sign

Good course, but holy trees.

1    3/15/2015   3/15/2015
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Perkerson is an interesting Park to define. It's a fairly mixed bag multi use park, in a not great part of Atlanta with playgrounds, baseball and basketball courts and a variety of amenities in various stars of repair ranging from pretty good to falling to bits.

The DG course is equipped with two sets of rubber mulch teepds for a short and long layouts that bur the park a ton of looks. These are long grippy and wonderful as long as they are not very wet. Some of the best pads I've thrown from.

The holes are mostly fairly wooded as is the norm for even park style courses in the Atl metro(think Wills or East Roswell).

And there are some very long technical holes. Honestly because of the lines you are forced to hit I threw a lot more airway drivers than normal. And the only time that I could bust out a full power drive was on 18 and even then there are obstacles to contended with.

It's a real challenge but not in a bad way.

The shorts take away some of the most difficult aspects and if your a beginner, not in great shape or playing with a group over 4 play those it will e more fun.

Many holes are difficult to birdie, so make the most of the few less demanding ones like 1, 4and 6 that aren't too hard to get a good look on.

I had a good time because there are such an array of shots you need to be able to throw and execute! That is a key word here. To be successful.

Baskets were fine too nothing special or very new but they can put them in 3 locations and move them frequently. Thank you to who does that!
Cons: This is a bit of a roughish neighborhood, don't play at night.

Also it's a good course in a major metro for free so to s of chuckers and people wandering through.

I also wish the brush were clears out a bit more, there are a few places where there aren't many lines due to not so great landscaping.

Overall to complain much would be nitpicking but I wuld have liked one open bomber hole.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun place for a round and I would highly recommend it for an Atl metro trip. Though I would put it slightly lower than some other area parks that get less acclaim.

I like it a lot buts it's not quite a 4 to me.

Nice Course in city limits

2-4    10/16/2013   10/19/2013
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: There is a lot of hard work that has gone into developing this course - it's evident in the beautiful new baskets, teepads, and sheep-eaten shule that seems to be under control. There are stone steps going up many of the hills and a wonderfully tiered green on hole #15. Much of the course has great risk-reward factors with a creek that runs along the edges of fairways, and a few well-placed pins on steep slopes. There are many drives that must be controlled, or you will lose much ground having to pitch out of thick rough.

I never usually mention anything about baskets or tees, but these are unique to me - so I will give them props. The pins are the new Gateway Titans - very thick metal, bomber, and chains that attach to rings at 3 points, which dampen the disc speed greatly and catch fast-moving discs nicely. The baskets are deep too. The tees are recycled rubber and are soft and cushy (more than the Flypads). I really liked these - and there are two tees on every hole - a bonus.

I enjoyed my play here - as the course was a mix of heavy woods and city park wooded grass fairways. The challenges were many.
Cons: Hole #3 pin was uncomfortably close to Hole #4 tee pad.

The walks between many holes were quite long. Hole #1 for starters is quite far from the parking area. Other long walks are to the tees of #5, #7, #12, #15, and from #18 back to #1. Fortunately, these walks yielded good holes, but nothing mind blowing.

Use the map. If you don't, you will become lost and angry. There is no signage yet, except for a few random signs sitting on the ground (#12 tee has a sign leading to it).

A few old carpeted tees need to be replaced, but it seems that this will be happening soon, since all the others have been.
Other Thoughts: This course should mature nicely. I would have given it a higher rating, but somehow this lacked a WOW factor for me. How do you make holes more exciting? I have only a couple of recommendations so far: Hole 18 lacks a great landing zone (from the long tee especially). It seems more of a pitch to achieve a reasonable 2nd shot. I feel the same about the landing zone on #9 from the long tee. It just is a very weirdly shaped fairway.

I felt the long pins were catered to the 350-375' thrower. If your drives don't reach this distance, you will have trouble scoring any birdies. I think longer tees should be not just longer, but require more skill, not just distance.