Atlanta, GA
Perkerson Park Share
Uploaded By: JSurmann Hole #16 (Taken 7/2014)
Hole #16 Red Tee

trying to be upbeat

1    10/19/2013   10/29/2013
Review By: friskydiscy
Pros: So much potential, some great holes, good location
Cons: layout was confusing, barely anything marked, save some money from the goats and put up signs please.
Other Thoughts: It's in the building stages and they are doing it right, but I just hated playing it at this stage of the game. We got lost even playing with a friend who has played it a few times before. Going to be one of the best around very soon though.

Nice Course in city limits

2-4    10/16/2013   10/19/2013
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: There is a lot of hard work that has gone into developing this course - it's evident in the beautiful new baskets, teepads, and sheep-eaten shule that seems to be under control. There are stone steps going up many of the hills and a wonderfully tiered green on hole #15. Much of the course has great risk-reward factors with a creek that runs along the edges of fairways, and a few well-placed pins on steep slopes. There are many drives that must be controlled, or you will lose much ground having to pitch out of thick rough.

I never usually mention anything about baskets or tees, but these are unique to me - so I will give them props. The pins are the new Gateway Titans - very thick metal, bomber, and chains that attach to rings at 3 points, which dampen the disc speed greatly and catch fast-moving discs nicely. The baskets are deep too. The tees are recycled rubber and are soft and cushy (more than the Flypads). I really liked these - and there are two tees on every hole - a bonus.

I enjoyed my play here - as the course was a mix of heavy woods and city park wooded grass fairways. The challenges were many.
Cons: Hole #3 pin was uncomfortably close to Hole #4 tee pad.

The walks between many holes were quite long. Hole #1 for starters is quite far from the parking area. Other long walks are to the tees of #5, #7, #12, #15, and from #18 back to #1. Fortunately, these walks yielded good holes, but nothing mind blowing.

Use the map. If you don't, you will become lost and angry. There is no signage yet, except for a few random signs sitting on the ground (#12 tee has a sign leading to it).

A few old carpeted tees need to be replaced, but it seems that this will be happening soon, since all the others have been.
Other Thoughts: This course should mature nicely. I would have given it a higher rating, but somehow this lacked a WOW factor for me. How do you make holes more exciting? I have only a couple of recommendations so far: Hole 18 lacks a great landing zone (from the long tee especially). It seems more of a pitch to achieve a reasonable 2nd shot. I feel the same about the landing zone on #9 from the long tee. It just is a very weirdly shaped fairway.

I felt the long pins were catered to the 350-375' thrower. If your drives don't reach this distance, you will have trouble scoring any birdies. I think longer tees should be not just longer, but require more skill, not just distance.

Becoming one of the best in GA!

2-4    9/22/2013   9/23/2013
Review By: KatanaFrenzy
This review was updated on 9/24/2013
Pros: Perkerson is developing into a very high quality course. It has really sweet Titan baskets that have 3 sets of chains and are surprisingly and strangely quite. They also are adding new recyclabled rubber teepads that are really really nice. The teepads are also all very nice, very level and very long. They have 16 pads finished and have left #11 and #18 original pads as of the end of Sept.

The Perkerson Park Course uses most of its avalible land and it uses it well. You play up and down several hills and play along and over the creek on several holes. Those aspects along with large trees, and short green grass make some tee shots very scenic as you try to navigate toward the basket.

Most of the holes also have a very well defined fairways that also have multiple routes to reach the basket. Earlier in the year when I played this course there were a lot of briars and vines on the sides of the fairways (Shule). Recently there have been some goats that have helped out and are making the course look amazing! They just eat that shule right up! It makes the course look much more professional and high caliber course. (Which it is!)

I know this course is also going to continue to get better because of the maintenance and upgrades it continues to receive. Can't wait to see this course in a few more months!

OUTLINE:
- Great use of land.
- Lots of elevation changes.
- Well defined fairways.
- Variety of shots.
- Tee pads.
- Titan Baskets.
- Groomed well. (Thanks to the Goats!)
- Constant upgrades and maintenance by locals.
Cons: Like everyone else said it is in a rough side of town. But I went on a Sunday and had no problem and felt no worry.

There aren't any noticeable teesigns or tee notifiers at the moment.

Flow is not the greatest because of the longish walks between different holes. Examples include hole #4 to hole #5, hole #6 to hole #7, hole #11 to hole #12 (Walk through #14's fairway here) and hole #14 to hole #15. Those transitions can be difficult to navigate for a first timer. When next tee signs and tee signs are added this wouldn't be too big of a problem besides walking through #14s fairway to #12.

The teepads are awesome when dry. But they are slick when wet.

Hole #1 is in a strange position. I think it should start at #4 or on #6 near either of the parking lots.

Also it can be slick and sort of difficult walking up to hole #1 and hole #5. I would like to see some sort of steps or maybe just gravel. The clay there now is slick when wet.

OUTLINE:
- Ghetto.
- No teesigns or next tee signs.
- Not the best of flow.
- Teepads slippery when wet.
- Awkward starting point.
- Difficulties on walk up to #5 and #1.
Other Thoughts: Perkerson Park really is a phenomenal course. It has numerous of beautiful shots that display wonderful types of elevation and well groomed landscapes. I am giving it a 4.5 because my cons are really minor things and I'm sure the locals are preparing to fix those things soon. And I played a day after it rained so some of those things will not matter as much when it's dry. Like the walk to #1 to #5 and slippery teepads. Also the goat fence was on those paths for that day so it made it an extra challenge.

Please take the time and head out to that park. It is starting to get popular and less sketch so don't be scared homie and go play disc golf on this beautiful course!

Love the new tee pads!

1    9/8/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: D Slanger
This review was updated on 9/26/2013
Pros: Tee pads are amazing!! Challenging holes mixed with a few easy birdies. Very good up keep of the fairways with multiple routes to the bucket on some holes. Sweet water park to play in when you need to cool off. A great variety of shots with long and short holes. The baskets are pretty cool, but I wish they were louder. I like to hear them clank, lol. Over all it is a great course. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Cons: It's in the ghetto, don't go alone. The course is not very well marked from tee to tee. Holes 1 and 5 are tough to get to.

It's close, that's where the positives end

2-4    8/5/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: captain_d
This review was updated on 8/14/2013
Pros: It's the only course in city limits. Parking is easy (lock your doors). Hole #1 and Hole #16/17 are pretty fun as well.
Cons: Where to start? First off, it's completely ghetto, so get your round in early in the day. There will be random bums walking around the course, so don't play alone either. In addition to a lot of litter throughout the course, there is zero signage as to where the next hole is located, you have to guess. The supplied map on this site is a good reference point, but they have moved the pins/tees since the file has been uploaded.

The tees are too far from the pins. Most of the time you can't even see the pin from even the front tees, and if you can see it, EVERY shot will be extremely tight and discouraging to new players trying to enjoy themselves.

The tee pads are almost non-existant (with the zero signage and guides), and are usually muddled up gravel which makes it extremely hard to get a good stance when teeing off.

The course is borderline unplayable as of August '13 due to extremely high grass, kudzu, bugs, etc. You will lose a disc if you don't hit a tee shot perfectly almost every time. My friends and I have to improvise tee boxes and/or skip a couple holes just for piece of mind and to make it playable. Terrible course in my opinion. I'd rather just drive the extra 20-25 minutes and play Redan or East Roswell. This course is extremely difficult even when it is well manicured and not in the good way.

Hole 18 is completely shoehorned in. It shows that they didn't really have a good design initially and just threw #18 in to get you back to the lot. 800+ feet for no good reason other than terrible design.
Other Thoughts: This is probably my least favorite course I've ever played. I know it is still "under construction" but I've played here for almost a year now, and doubt it's ever going to be completed. A concealed permit would be advisable to play out here as well.

Good But Not Great

1    7/25/2013   8/3/2013
Review By: dandther
This review was updated on 3/17/2014
Pros: *Nice layout for many of the holes along the creek. Challenging but fair
*Excellent use of elevation changes
*Very good baskets
*Good mix of left and right curves
*Good variety of holes (until you reach the woods)
*Several holes are really well designed. 2 and 3 use the creek nicely. 16 is brilliant, the basket is perfectly placed among the trees.
Cons: *Tees are not yet finished. They'll be nice when done. They'll be concrete with stone walls around them on the elevation. The day we were there workers were doing the stone work. They had one the wood forms for the concrete for the tees backwards (15 or 16 I think), with the narrow part pointing away from the basket. We pointed this out to them, hopefully they fix it before pouring concrete.
*It is very hard to find your way around the park. A few simple signs directing you to the next hole, or even helping you find the basket from the tee, would help.
*Some of the holes in the woods have very little realistic "fair"way. I'm OK with this as long as the course is balanced with woods/open shots, and if there is variety in the wooded holes. Perkerson is right on my personal edge of having too many tightly wooded holes. Also, some of the wooded holes seemed too much alike. This is totally subjective, and I'd gladly play again, but it will never be a favorite because of this.
*The tee for the fifth hole was right behind a wall of trees/brush. That's fine for a "pro" tee, but there should be an option for beginners that allows for an open throw. Maybe there is one that we couldn't find (see note about finding your way around the course).
*18 is 850 feet uphill with a creek on the left and a narrow pathway through trees to reach the basket. Nice idea, but it seemed difficult for the sake of being difficult, nothing more. Why not divide that section of the course into two holes and eliminate one of the repetitive pinball holes in the woods?
*Add some benches or seating to give people a chance to rest.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed myself at Perkerson Park. Many of my "cons" are based on the fact that the course is still under construction. Given some time, my rating could go up. I'm rating it as it was when I played it, not on its potential.

Speaking of potential...Courses mature as they are used, as things like navigation signs, benches, etc. are added. This course should mature into a close to great one.

FEB 2014 UPDATE: I received a personal message from an ATL DGer that may of my "cons" have been addressed (I noted the park was under construction when I played it in the summer of 2013.) I would love to play this course again to see how the improvements have been incorporated into what I described last summer as "close to a great" course. I'm not sure if I'll make it back to ATL (from Michigan) any time soon, but I would highly recommend that if you're in the area, you should check out this course.

Mixed Emotions

1    7/14/2013   7/14/2013
Review By: alex513ninja
Pros: Absolutely fantastic course with all the shots. Although still in installation phase the course plays like a well established course. Very tough and challenging yet very fair. Most shots are fairly open and utilize mature trees while some play through very tight woods. Nice use of elevation change. Gateway baskets almost guarantee putts that hit chains will drop in basket.
Cons: My car got broken into in the parking lot, probably due to out of town plates. Ipod, iphone gps and two wallets stolen. Definitely carry all valuables on person or leave them at home.
Other Thoughts: Flow can be a little confusing at times, even with the map due to basic design that lacks wooded areas of course. Once course is totally complete i would rate it a 5. Would easily be one of my favorite courses except i'm still salty about the theft issue. People who say this is not in a sketchy neighborhood are a little off base. I would agree that its just a typical urban setting if i had left my car unlocked and items stolen but the lock was busted out. Forced entry into a vehicle symbolizes a bad neighborhood in my book. I have accidentally left my doors unlocked several times, at other courses, and returned to find nothing missing.

Perkerson's pleasures

1    6/29/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 7/14/2013
Pros: Perkerson Park is a fantastic disc golf course, and an instant favorite for me. So many great holes. A high percentage of the holes are lengthy and/or up or downhill. The trees are mature, and there are open, grassy portions, but the woods are prominent about half the time, and will provide clear and defined fairway lanes. The first hole tells the story perfectly. A downhill, anhyzer (RHBH) around 360'. Two is 400' downhill, hyzer this time. Several holes on this course will tempt you to throw multiple drives, sometimes out of frustration, sometimes for fun. Through 5 or six holes, it may not seem too difficult. Once you enter the woods it adds another layer of demands. Around hole 7 you ease into the woods. On hole 8 the trees take over. 8 is steep downhill through mature woods. Loved the consistent and usually considerable changes in elevation. 9, 10, and 11 are all solid. I think it was hole 12 preceded by al stair climb. At the top, is a long hole, way uphill. 14 is another fun, lengthy downhiller, and if you can keep it centered a deuce is in order. Better eat your Wheaties and some spinach before this one, it is a hike. We played there on a hot day, and I almost ran out of gas on the second nine. 15 over the hill and far away. 16 is average. 17 is downhill hyzer-city bomb. The last hole, at 850 feet, uphill all the way, laughs in your face before dismissal.

Course conditions were good, even following a week of considerable rainfall. Several other players were helpful in navigating the course when we went astray. Course design is a very nice mixture of challenging holes, however many are still within reach of the tee box. A few white signs point directions on paths in between holes. The front and back nine could be played independently if your pressed for time. I liked finally getting to play some Gateway Titan baskets in a park somewhere east of the Mississippi River. They are very cool if you ask me.
Cons: I started on the wrong hole (it turned out to be 5) before asking directions from somebody else. The first hole is not closest to the parking, but I understand why it is first. The tee boxes are not concrete in most cases, usually a black mat, and signage could be added or improved as well. Some of the transitions between holes are long, and a few stairs are thrown in there, too. We did waste some time looking for the next box once or twice, and also teed in the wrong direction on hole 16, way downhill, instead of way uphill. There were many other park goers on the Saturday we played, once or twice we were delayed by pedestrians. Dogs must be on a leash.
Other Thoughts: Perkerson Park is still in the process of finishing touches, but a great course as is. You should have this one on the wish list if you haven't played it already. Some really amazing holes! If there was no other traffic other than disc golfers, and concrete tee pads, I would strongly consider giving Perkerson a 5. I think my rating will remain at 4.5, even after installation is complete. Somewhat reminds me of Flat Rock Park in Columbus, VaDuMar in Boiling Springs, SC, and Robert L. Smith in Charlotte, NC.

A Gem in Atlanta!

1    3/30/2013   4/16/2013
Review By: larrod25
Pros: The layout - The course design is simply fantastic. It plays through a public park which incorporates a nice open area with nice green grass and tall hardwoods, along a nice old stone channeled creek (no real danger of losing a disc, but you might get wet), and through a heavily wooded hillside. The creek is the centerpiece, and hills rise on both sides. There are holes playing both across and along the creek, as well as up, down, and along the hillsides. There is a great mix of hole lengths as well. Hole 4 is 220 ft with a 20ft elevation drop easily reachable with a putter, and hole 18 is 850 ft uphill through the woods to a basket that is about 30ft higher in elevation than the tee pad.

The Baskets - I am not sure if these are custom built or production baskets, but they are much nicer than what I am used to. There were 3 rows of chains and the thickest basket metal that I have ever seen. They caught discs nicely, and barely made a sound.

Plenty of parking and public restrooms available.
Cons: There were a few, but most of them are likely to be remedied in the near future. As mentioned by the course description, this course is a work in progress.

Tee pads - The tee pads are carpet, and while most appear to be in their permanent positions, some have flags in new locations.

Benches - There aren't any, and this course is a serious walk. They will be a welcome addition when they go in.

Signage - Since the course design has changed some in the last year, the current tee sings (laminated paper stapled to wooden stakes) are not accurate for several holes. The distances listed on the DGCR scorecard appear to be correct.

The hillside walking up to hole 1 (which is also used to access 3 other tee pads for different holes, looks like it will be prone to erosion issues. Hopefully the volunteers that are putting in this course have a plan for landscaping and shoring up this area. I would likely be slippery after rain, and could really use better stairs cut into the hillside.
Other Thoughts: I read a lot of the reviews before playing this course, and was very excited to play the new layout. It did not disappoint, and was quite challenging from the first hole to the last.

Several previous reviewers mentioned the neighborhood as a con. While not one of Atlanta's richer areas, I would definitely not call this a 'bad neighborhood'. The park itself is beautiful and peaceful (which is amazing considering its proximity to Downtown Atlanta.

I will definitely play this course again on my next trip to the ATL. Hopefully I can make it to a tournament!

1    4/15/2013   4/15/2013
Review By: zjones9
Pros: Absolutely beautiful park! Some people mention that it is in a sketch neighborhood, but that is not at all the case...Yes, you are in south Atlanta, but the park is very serene and non-discgolfers are only present on the first couple of holes and have never been an issue in my experiences at this course. And as for the course itself, Perkerson has a little bit of everything; great uphill, downhill, left-turning, right-turning, straight, heavily-wooded, moderately-wooded, and lightly-wooded holes! It is a difficult course that will test your accuracy. Also, the creek that runs through the middle of the course adds some extra beauty to the course. If your in the area, Perkerson shouldn't be missed!
Cons: This course is relatively new, and as such is still somewhat a work in progress. For the time being, the lack of good signage and the carpet teepads (often very short) are the two most noticeable cons. The good news is that there is a group of dedicated golfers that are putting in A LOT of time to making the necessary improvements. I hear that teepads and signage are in the near future for this course!
Other Thoughts: For the time being, you should definitely print off a course map or try and play with a local if it is your first time here. Great course!