Atlanta, GA
Perkerson Park Share
Uploaded By: JSurmann Hole #8 (Taken 7/2014)
Hole #8 Red Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
I Like It!

1    5/10/2015   5/10/2015
Review By: chuckbob
Pros: Some really nicely laid out holes; multiple tee pads and pin locations for every hole; nice mix of tight shots through trees and more open shots. It's in a very beautiful park.
Cons: Wish the creek come into play more than just as a penalty for an overhyzered shot. Some of the holes on the back nine were a little confusing to try to find the next tee pad but I downloaded a copy of the course map from dgcoursereview.com and found them all.
Other Thoughts: The neighborhood may not be the best but I've played in parks in much worse ones in several other cities. It's a 1 mile walk from the MARTA station but easily doable. It's a real winner and, I think, the only course ITP. You really should play this course if you're in Atlanta.

Great Technical and WIDE open Course

1    3/15/2015   3/16/2015
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: This course is solid 4.25 course. Better than excellent, not quite phenomenal. It is also a blast to play with some really cool shots. Playing from the black tees, you start with a nice crush from up on a hill, over the creek/valley to basket 350'+ away. Nice way to start. There's two creeks that run through the course that add a nice set of OB lines that quickly come in to play.

Hole 3 is a down hill hyzer shot that if you come it without the brakes fully engaged, you're skipping OB. Fun stuff! Forehands throwers or lefty's, you guys are good.

The course then winds along and up a ridge to hole #6(?) by the basket ball courts. Another fantastic shot is a long fading left shot to a basket down in the trees. Fun to watch the disc fly, then drop out of the sky toward the basket.

For the next 7-8 holes it's picking the sight lines through the trees and executing. Hit your line, putt for bird. Miss the line, putt for 4 or worse!

If the previous 14 holes haven't worn you out, your're good. 'Cause you're about to hit the 'crush zone'. Long Uphill/Down hill and cross hill shots drain the last of your strength! But tough to play 2 rounds from the black.

Also...major, major kudos to the tee pads. Those lowest level of course design was the best I think I've ever played. NIce, poured rubber pads. Very grippy with just a touch of give. Super nice on the knees. Best pads I've ever played on.
Cons: You have to be careful for walkers. They don't know you're there and screaming 'FOUR!!!' like possessed banshee's will not get their attention. They ain't expecting to be hit by plastic are non-too-happy when it happens. Trust me on this.

Neighborhood a block off the course is NOT where you want to be after dark or with a flat tire. Check you gas and don't leave any valuables exposed. Just sayin'...
Other Thoughts: Hole one is a bit tough to find. It's below the main building, and across the creek. Following the water, find the tee pad.

Hole 12 is not where you would expect. You have to cross over 14's fairway to find the tee.

15's is back across the creek after 14.

Good course, but holy trees.

1    3/15/2015   3/15/2015
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Perkerson is an interesting Park to define. It's a fairly mixed bag multi use park, in a not great part of Atlanta with playgrounds, baseball and basketball courts and a variety of amenities in various stars of repair ranging from pretty good to falling to bits.

The DG course is equipped with two sets of rubber mulch teepds for a short and long layouts that bur the park a ton of looks. These are long grippy and wonderful as long as they are not very wet. Some of the best pads I've thrown from.

The holes are mostly fairly wooded as is the norm for even park style courses in the Atl metro(think Wills or East Roswell).

And there are some very long technical holes. Honestly because of the lines you are forced to hit I threw a lot more airway drivers than normal. And the only time that I could bust out a full power drive was on 18 and even then there are obstacles to contended with.

It's a real challenge but not in a bad way.

The shorts take away some of the most difficult aspects and if your a beginner, not in great shape or playing with a group over 4 play those it will e more fun.

Many holes are difficult to birdie, so make the most of the few less demanding ones like 1, 4and 6 that aren't too hard to get a good look on.

I had a good time because there are such an array of shots you need to be able to throw and execute! That is a key word here. To be successful.

Baskets were fine too nothing special or very new but they can put them in 3 locations and move them frequently. Thank you to who does that!
Cons: This is a bit of a roughish neighborhood, don't play at night.

Also it's a good course in a major metro for free so to s of chuckers and people wandering through.

I also wish the brush were clears out a bit more, there are a few places where there aren't many lines due to not so great landscaping.

Overall to complain much would be nitpicking but I wuld have liked one open bomber hole.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun place for a round and I would highly recommend it for an Atl metro trip. Though I would put it slightly lower than some other area parks that get less acclaim.

I like it a lot buts it's not quite a 4 to me.

2-4    3/7/2015   3/7/2015
Review By: pjhayes7
Pros: -Tough course, not impossible, but gives you the score you deserve. Although a little long for me to have legit birdie opportunities more than a couple of times, it is always fun to play a challenging course.
-Excellent shredded rubber tee pads.
-Multiple angles of attack. I rarely knew for sure whether to throw backhand or forehand.
Cons: -Could be difficult to navigate without a map, but a map is available if you just take the time to print it out or pull it up on your phone.
-More trash on the ground than I would like to see, including glass. It was better than when I played last summer though.
-As others have mentioned, not the best part of town. I never felt unsafe for my person, but was slightly concerned for my vehicle. I think just like in any city if you make sure not to leave valuables in the open, you would be fine. There were plenty of other patrons including individuals and families using the parks other facilities, so it can't be that bad.

ITP Heaven

1    10/20/2014   10/23/2014
Review By: kasonmoody
Pros: - Some of the best tee pads in the Atlanta area.
- Great mix of open and wooded holes, the open holes are still very challenging.
- Varying levels of difficulty per hole, which keeps it fun. You may have an ace chance one hole, and a double bogey the next. Keeps you on your toes.
- To be the only course in the city of Atlanta, it is a gem!
Cons: - Bad side of town, go during day-light hours!
- Make sure you play with someone who has played the course before! Confusing to find the next holes in many locations.
- Random people walking through the course, one lady was taking a nap on one of the tee-pads.
Other Thoughts: This course is simply awesome. Not too much to add. Visiting Atlanta? This HAS to be on your list of courses to play.

Best in Atlanta

5+    8/3/2014   8/3/2014
Review By: rphancock1
Pros: Solid rubber composite tees, great baskets. Excellent golf lines through a great variety of landscape. Great use of elevation and existing landscaping, such as the creek that runs through the course in a hand stacked rock walled culvert. Nice signs. 3 pin placements, two tees per hole (usually).

Fantastic start to the course.. Hole one starts on a cliff over the creek, with a challenging long drive (many choices of shot, forehand or backhand as on most holes here) on a grassy slope with scattered large trees guarding the pin. All but hole 11 have some sort of elevation change, sloped landing, or both.

The constant elevation change is balanced.. I never felt like I was sick of throwing one direction or the other. There's a great flow through the more open parts of the park, and up and down the forested hillside.

The fairways never felt lucky to me. There is a definite line on every hole, and it's totally reasonable. Most holes have more than one line which is wonderful. Getting off the fairway is always punishing as it should be, but still possible to save par with a stellar recovery shot, which is very refreshing in Georgia where courses are often carved out of a thicket and the rough is totally unplayable.

Several standout holes that I always remember and look forward to playing again, especially hole one off the cliff, hole two throwing through a row of large pines toward a pin on the edge of an OB culvert, hole 11 which is the only flat hole, needing a long controlled drive to stay out of the woods and the rock walled creek, and the very challenging par 5 hole 18, which requires three perfectly placed drives along one of two routes to birdie or par. This hole can be a score killer.. I've teed off on 18 at -3 and finished the round over par.

Cons: Everyone mentioned navigation.. I used the map on my phone the first time back when there weren't tee pads or signs and didn't have a problem. You'll need a map of some sort.

Holes 8 and 13 are very similar, and when the pins are in the same position the similarity is exaggerated. Should always have one in the long and one in the short. Especially since 14 is the same shot.. Though I love hole 14, it's the only area where the course feels repetitive. Another straight shot downhill.

An indicator of which position the basket is in would be great. I've seen this on other championship courses (which this is) such as Tyler in PA and it's such a nice feature. No big deal, but helpful when the distances are pretty different and it's hard to tell by eye.

Reviewers mentioned long walks.. I didn't really mind any of them, but yeah there are a couple of longish connections. Again, not a big deal.
Other Thoughts: I first played this course when it was barely permanent, and have waited to see it finished before reviewing it. I think the designers and volunteers did a fantastic job, especially considering all the restrictions that come with building inside a city if Atlanta park. The length and variety of the course are excellent, and most importantly it's been fun to play since I first started and couldn't break +10 to now when I can get a couple under par. Always a challenge and always rewarding even at various skill levels. I've only played the long tees, but now that there are short tees installed I'd be curious to see how they play. Very nice to have the choice.

I play mostly championship difficulty courses in the northeast, and not only is this the best course in Atlanta, it stands favorably with the other highly rated courses I've played. Really enjoy it and always look forward to a round when I'm in Atlanta.

Amazing course in the heart of Atlanta

2-4    7/13/2014   7/13/2014
Review By: Rich.Carrozza
Pros: Where do I start? Perkerson Park is simply gorgeous. This course may seem like it's in a not so great part of town, but it really is. The park is well maintained. Tee pads are the composite rubber blend and are great! The money spent for the pads and tee signs was well worth it. Signs are phenomenal. Each hole has multiple pins and most have multiple tees.
Cons: Fairways were a little bit overgrown but it is the dead of summer. Not too many cons to talk about here. No trashcans or benches, but I'm sure they'll be added in time.
Other Thoughts: This course really is pro material. Tons of elevation changes. The designers really worked hard and it shows. This truly is a high risk, high reward course. Go big or go home. Nice few wooded holes and some great open bombs to be had here. Perkerson offers plenty of technical holes, but nothing to get frustrated over. All in all a solid course. Definitely worth the trip if you're within 100 mile radius.

Journeying Through Atlanta

1    3/12/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: moore1927
Pros: Wow I really loved this course. A couple friends and I played 4 courses in the Atlanta area, and this was the best by far. This is a beautiful park located in the middle of Atlanta. Visually, it is a beautiful place with streams, forested area, open spaces and bridges and more. It was like a breath of fresh air to play at this course. As far as play, the course was also very dynamic. There are short and long holes, wooded and open, with a variety of directions and turns required. It looks like they rotate basket locations as well, because there are 3 different spots on the diagram, and 3 boxes near the basket, which one is occupied by a basket. I will go back this Sunday while I'm in town for sure.
Cons: I haven't played many courses, but this is the best I have ever played. I can't think of any cons.
Other Thoughts: This is more than a good course to play, it's a great experience to have. If you're choosing a place to go throw in the Atlanta, you have to come here.

Course Designer's Review

5+    3/9/2014   3/20/2014
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: Perkerson is one of Atlanta's most beautiful and little known parks. The park is about 50 acres that was previously used as a farm. The terrain features moderate sloping hills, mature trees (both widely scattered and a mature hardwood forest), and Perkerson Creek - which flows the length of the park in a historic hand-stacked-stone channel. It's perfect disc golf terrain and is the reason a course was pursued in this park specifically. Perkerson is one of the most scenic courses in Atlanta (along with JP Moseley and Flyboy). This park is pleasant year-round with ample shade in the hot summer months, and a recently added splash-park to cool off in or to let your kids play in while you play a round.

The design is fair and devoid of lucky spots, so if you play smart you can score well. Lots of risk and reward: many holes have OB in play from the creek or roads, and most holes feature sloped terrain. Most holes have multiple lines supporting a variety of shots, no real advantage to being right or left handed.

Due to grant funding, we have amazing teepads and hole signage. Due to volunteer labor we have sculpted fairways and incredible stone stairs and other improvements.

Long tees are designed for advanced level and most holes have gold level pin placements for tourney play; short tees are designed for beginners through rec/int level tourney players.

This is meant to be a challenging course. It is one of Atlanta's longest courses and has several legit par 4's and a 750' par 5 #18. Beginners will find it difficult and longer than some other courses, but it's still very enjoyable for beginner players due to the scenic setting.
Cons: The main con is that the course is maintained fully by volunteers at this point in time. The course is still very new and plays through many areas where invasive species (privet, ileagnus, etc) had fully invaded before the course came. We've cut much of it out, but it still grows back, so the course can get overgrown at times during the summer.

We have tight restrictions about tree removal, so there are a few trees that we would remove if we could, but we can't. Other restrictions prevent us from adding a kiosk; we are not allowed to build one, and would have to pay $5,000 to use the one allowed by design ordinances.

Navigational signage and trash cans have not yet been installed. The teepads ate up most of the grant funding, so these items have not been funded yet. Hopefully coming soon and until then, please pack it out and bring a map. Inter-hole navigation is very easy except for the transitions through the creek area.

The neighborhood isn't as rough as it appears, you will probably see women walking their dogs alone in the park while playing. But definitely be aware that Southwest Atlanta has the highest crime rates in Atlanta. Don't leave valuables in plain view in your car or you are asking for a break-in (same goes for parking anywhere in Atlanta). I only know of one car break-in from 2007 to 2012 at the park, but we have had increased recent issues as people have noticed the increased disc golf traffic.
Other Thoughts: I designed and helped build this course. It has evolved from 2007, when we set it up for weekly league play with portables, to the final installed version that opened in March 2014 after we spent a nearly $50,000 grant in 2013/2014 to install teepads and signage. I have reviewed many courses and this rating is where Perkerson fits in to me relative to other courses I've played and is as non-biased as I can make it. I've been waiting to review it until it's finished, which just happened. Some of the earlier reviews are a bit misleading and don't reflect the finished product.

This course is located in a high profile city of Atlanta park. After the course was initially approved in late 2010, we spent all of 2011 going through master plan process for Perkerson Park by the Atlanta Beltline group. The master plan is the reason Hole #1 seems to be located in the middle of the park. In the master plan, the main gravel parking lot is removed and turned into green-space. The master plan is also the reason for many long transitions; we are using every inch of land we're able to, and are not allowed to play through many areas. Many areas are purposely not, or are minimally used for safety reasons.

Most of the grant funding was spent installing teepads (27 installed summer 2013 and 9 installed winter 2014) and signage (installed march 2014). We also installed over 30 new pin positions in early 2013, so most holes have 3 pins and a few have 2. The course has dramatically improved since summer 2013 because of these changes, so if you played it prior to then, it's gotten much better. That said, we still lack trash cans, a kiosk and navigational signage. Any further improvements must be self-funded and self-installed, which takes time.

The teepads use a poured-in-place rubber material that is made from rubber tires. This is the first course that we know of using this material; it's unique and awesome in every respect (grip, feel, etc) except for durability, which is unknown. The pads poured during the cold months don't appear to be holding up and will likely be replaced soon.

The wooded parts of this course, stairs and trails were built entirely by volunteers using hand tools with somewhere between 1,500 - 2,000 man hours of volunteer labor. The granite stairs were repurposed from an old building (used to be the crack-house bathroom by #6 basket). Volunteers also maintain it.

If you are local to this course, we need your help in maintaining and improving the course to sustain it.

Love this course!

2-4    3/15/2014   3/17/2014
Review By: Jpuder
Pros: This course has been recently redesigned and it is brilliant! Who ever designed this course really understands disc golf...It has the perfect combination of short and longs (distance) and ups and downs (elevation). Also a good mix of tunnel shots (heavily wooded) and wide open shots containing a bit of water (flowing stream). Nearly all of the holes have a recreational and pro tee pad. All of the holes have multiple pin locations making the replay value of this course VERY HIGH.
Cons: The only con of this course is that hole number 1 can be tricky to find. The recreational tee pad is located in the middle of the course.. right next to the stone stream and two bridges. The pro tee pad is directly behind up on the hill. Once you find hole one the signs on each hole make it easy to navigate the course.

One other note; as you drive into this course you may pass through a couple of "rough" neighborhoods". However, the park itself feels very safe.
Other Thoughts: I am not a local.. my buddy and I were only in town for a couple of days and after we played this course the first time we moved around our schedule to fit in another round before we left town. PLAY THIS COURSE!

< Prev 1 2 3