Nelsonville, OH
Hocking College DGC Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #3 (Taken 7/2012)

Hocking College DGC

1    10/18/2010   10/21/2010
Review By: JoseCafe704
Pros: A phenomenal amount of work has been done with the course layout here at Hocking (especially between the wooded holes consisting of #3 - #15). Unintrusive use of hillsides, shale banks, and natural obstructions was paramount at Hocking, which I would only expect from a college that is based largely in outdoor related curriculum. The elevation changes on many of the wooded holes force the player to really think about how he/she will have to release the disc in order to make par. Trail work on said wooded holes is also extensive, with borders lining most trail beds, and stairs built out of split logs and rocks...You'll burn some calories playing this course! It's also obvious that whatever parties responsible for the course are taking a proactive approach to managing it, with a mailbox at #15 tee(?) that has a voluntary tracking sign in sheet, and a new hole that will soon replace the non-existent #2 in which said parties ask players to stop in and let staff know what you think of the new hole.
Cons: Outside of the wooded holes, the course layout for Hocking falls right through the middle of campus. I couldn't find the tee for the first, and either way, it would've played over mounds of dirt from some sort of construction project, so I made my own tee. The 18th plays over a pond, then through a rock sculpture on the far side, which could be cool, but also houses a bench that seems to be a popular spot for students to hang out, so I had to play long around the pond. The signage is a bit underpar. Some of it seems to just be laminated paper tacked onto a backboard. Whereas I like how the parties responsible for the production of the course seemed to have used materials they had at hand, which like I said, I would only expect from a school like Hocking, eventually they'll have to replace this system with permanent signage. There's just too much wooded land to navigate to NOT have permanent, well placed signage.
Other Thoughts: Like I said, it's obvious that Hocking has taken a proactive approach to the management of their course, and I'm sure that if I play it again next summer, some of the things I put in the cons category will have to come down and the rating will have to come up! Very nice course!

Nice public course at local college.

1    8/10/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: Scazmatic
Pros: - Course takes great advantage of wooded terrain, and the hike through the forest itself is just as enjoyable as the round. Caretakers have done a tremendous amount of work building trails, steps, and bridges to accomodate the course.

- Good variety of holes requiring plenty of shot types. Elevation changes and varying shot shapes abound. Also has a decent mix of open versus wooded holes.

- Signage is great in terms of hole layout and navigating from one hole to the next tee.
Cons: - Finding the start of the course isn't necessarily obvious. No welcome signs at the start of campus reference where the course is located. I found Hole 18 near the lot where I parked and walked around a little until I figured things out.

- The first three holes are right in the middle of campus, and even during summer session it was a bit crowded. I'm not generally a huge fan of being on display to ambivalent spectators, let alone having to throw around them.

- The hike to the wooded portion of the course is fairly long and the hikes in general are steeper than I imagine some older or casual players may be able to comfortably navigate.

- I only found out about the "don't miss left" rule from the course website after my round, which included a thirty minute period scaling the side of a ravine looking for my driver on Hole 7. It's worth walking each hole tee to green before throwing off to get a feel for course layout, as there are some pretty significant dropoffs.

- New hole maps on the tees look like they're using hieroglyphics. Old signs with drawings were better, but this is probably a nitpick.
Other Thoughts: Please note that the course has been redesigned since some of these pictures have been posted. Course configuration is drastically different since adding new holes, it seems.

I often travel to Hocking County for work and, having taken up frisbee golf earlier this summer, I was delighted to find a public course at the college, as I pass through Nelsonville on each trip. Generally speaking, the course is a lot of fun and it's nice that something like this is available to the community. I was in a hurry and wish I had more time to enjoy the course, but I felt like it was challenging yet fair and provided good variety. It is unforgiving in spots, but I know that now and will adjust next time. It may not be perfect for the total novice player to learn on, but it's definitely a course I would recommend.

Gorgeous

2-4    5/29/2010   5/29/2010
Review By: mcmyers640
Pros: *Defined Fairways
*Obvious signs telling you where the next hole was
*Scenic Course that gives you very unique holes
*Well maintained log stairways. Makes the inner child come out.
*Doable technical course
*Requires the use of strategy as most holes require a true two-shot approach rather than a cannon arm.
Cons: *Breeding ground for mosquitoes. Bring your bug spray
*Pathways can get very muddy after a rain. You might want to bring a change of socks.
*Some holes seem like a hike with a disc golf course rather than a disc golf course with a hike.
*Basket heights can vary. Some baskets are about 6' tall and are just awkward to shoot on. I suppose this could be part of the challenge.
Other Thoughts: I loved this course and it's so unique to the Ohio disc golf environment. The first few holes are your normal run of the mill holes. If you need to use the restroom you can get into the student center that's to the right of hole one. It's air conditioned and a bit better than a porta john in 90 degree heat. (It's the smell). I was surprise by the 400'+ hole #3 that offers a bit of a challenge. The hike to hole #4 is a doozy, but loosens you up. They do have a bench about 3/4 the way up. I suppose they know it's a tough hike.

The rest of the holes are gorgeous and so unique. I've never played holes that cut through high rock and has you throwing over valleys, creeks, and through trees. It really brings out the kid in you. Hole 7 has an incredibly steep drop off on the left. I would play it safe and hang on to your favorite approach disc. The only other item of not was that hole 14 had a copperhead spotting, but hey, you're out in nature right? I really felt like I was out in nature rather than walking through a park. The course is a must play in the area and well worth a 1.5 hour drive from northern Columbus. This is not a family friendly course for the little kids. They'll probably want to kill you afterwards.

Must brings:
*Bug Spray
*Water Bottles
*Hiking Shoes
*Shot discipline

A hike, with some serious disc golf

2-4    5/23/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Amazingly rustic land

Fantastic elevation shots

A lot of work has gone into building the seemingly endless array of log stairways and benches that support you through this rugged hike

Very high on the Technical Scale
Cons: A bit dangerous - leave the little ones at home!

Buggy and wet when I played
Other Thoughts: First, I must say that this is an incredible layout.

This course is as raw and rugged as any I have ever played. The disc play is challenging and demanding. The elevation is top notch. Rarely will you actually shoot strait or flat. Your lines had better be tight and your distance had also be in order...a long or short shot is often punished as sternly as a shank or slice.

The first few holes are open, then you climb into the woods for the real meat of the course. The distances are good for the density. A typical player will not need more than a fairway driver in here. My group actually threw a lot of mids and putters off the tee. You spill back out into the open for the remaining few holes. 16 is unremarkable, but 17 is sweet and 18 has you shooting over a pond and through some cool carved stones.

It seems like this course may be best suited for summer and autumn play. The spring weather has the course loaded with standing water and a ridiculous host of mosquitoes. Honestly, I usually dismiss the comments that a course is "buggy". After all, disc golf is often played in the woods. But this is worth bringing up. I felt like an intruder. Had I not had a bottle of "OFF" on me, I would not have played a second round.

blah blah blah......YEAH YEAH YEAH!

1    5/3/2010   5/12/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: This course is currently below the radar but is well worth the trip. (its been redesigned and has not been played by many since its recent incarnation...the map and college website photos dont reflect whats hiding here)The first 3 holes play unsafely amongst college buildings and streets and frankly I was ready to leave the course as I had difficulty finding the 4th tee. Then I saw some kids going into the woods across the street with DG bags... after a hike up into the woods....you are gonna be blown away. Holes 4-15 all play up on a steep ridge in the woods and offer undulating terrain, cliff shots, deep gorges, technical gems and some of the most memorable technical disc wizardry you will find anywhere. Highlights were:
-the tight drive out of the woods across an opening to a basket perched atop a mound with steep gorges to the left the entire fairway
-the putter plunge of hole 8 from way above with a fast green and stream behind
-The stairway to heaven hole #12 which had me climb a stairway made of logs to a tee way above and fire down through the forrest to a basket nestled on a ten foot bank with a gorge behind and drop offs in every direction.
-the uphill drive of 13 that sets up
-the signature hole 14 a simple putter drop off a cliff over a gorged valley with the basket in a flat clearing with yet another steep neverending cliff behind the green....Best floater I have ever played...true ace run but you could hit a tree and be in the first gorge in front of the green or throw too far and be in the steep goner gorge behind the green.

The holes 4-15 are all wooded and technical and provide enough thrills to make you forget about the first 3 duds. Fun factor is off the charts in these woods as there are 3 downcliff ace runs with exciting elevation drops.
Once you leave the woods the courses finishes with a tight bizarre short low tunnel throw that I've never seen before..maybe 6 feet high 7 feet wide and 150 feet long to a raised basket so you have to actually throw ceiling high to ace....weird hole but fun.
18 is a shot across a pretty lake perhaps 150 feet of water carry negotiating some trees and your on a grassy sloped green to finish your day. A truly unique and exhilerating experience and one I definetely was not expecting. Perfect par 3 course as good throws can garner aces or birdies and bad throws instantly are bogeys or worse. The imaginative and creative design could only have been dreamt up by college kids. This course really surprised me.
Cons: The first three holes are dangerous and boring. They really diminish what could be one of the best courses I have played. For all the gleeful insanity in the woods I was also sliding and falling down these steep muddy hillsides. I would imagine erosion might quickly destroy this course or perhaps a lawsuit from an injury. I think the locals are doing a great job at building steps and attempting to provide plenty of safe routes. I would suggest overkill in the steps and erosion dam efforts in this place. I hope they can preserve this one. I fell 3 times out there and felt at risk more than a handful of times when I was traversing the gorges. A few times I was wishing for just a bit more green or safer areas to land given the penalty is often a 50 foot descent into the abyss.
Other Thoughts: If you enjoy unique woods holes than this one should be on your list. A few suggestions:
Redesign or scrap the first 3 holes..too much risk in return for not enough fun IMO...I would rather play a couple nasty uphills in the woods rather than just have that long nasty hike up to hole 4.
I also wish that the long descent down the mountain path after hole 15 was a hole....not many courses could offer a plunging hole like that....Signature hole for sure. Congratulations on your course Hocking College. It's one of the best I have played to date (128 courses)

Must play

1    10/10/2009   11/2/2009
Review By: Packee
Pros: This course has great potential, only few designers get to use land of this caliber. I played this course on my way back to columbus,oh. and i'm glad I did. If you have a chance to play it, take it. very challenging wooded hilly beautiful course.
Cons: the first 3 holes are by the the campus building and it would have been nice to get them in the wooded area as well, hole 16 was very hard to find because it's a long way to 17 and down a main trail and out in the open where there are no way to know where to go.
Other Thoughts: If someone could hurry up and get some good signage to direct you through the course it would really be good to great in my book....this was course 196 for me and probaly one of the nicest short course i've played.

Underrated!!

1    10/27/2009   10/27/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
This review was updated on 9/2/2010
Pros: The land they have to work with is remarkable and they did a great job taking advantage of it
Altitude changes, plenty of them.
Bonus Nature hike
Not crowded
Good variety of shots
Scenery
It's a Workout
Cons: It was easy to get lost, some of the trails weren't well marked
A few of the tees were tough to find and when you did find them they were just spray painted lines in the grass.
I didn't much care for the first couple holes but after that.........
Potential death by falling off a cliff
Potential death by Copperheads
Other Thoughts: I heard some bad things about this course but I thought it was Amazing! I love Altitude changes, I love wooded holes, and I love nature hikes so this was the course for me.

The first couple of holes are nothing special they are right in the middle of a crowded campus but from hole #4 on, the course makes up for it. Like one of the previous reviewers said, land that they put this course on is phenomenal for Disc Golf. It's very wooded but not so dense that its frustrating. Plenty of shots that go up and down hills and through valleys all with reasonably open fairways

I didn't mind the long walks between some of the holes. If they need to make you walk for a few minutes so that they can make the best possible use of the land then so be it. The walk to hole number 4 was straight up a hill and it was a little exhausting but it wasn't too hard, I'm a fat guy with bum knee and I made up without much effort.

Be careful though some of the paths can be narrow or steep, Trust me, you wouldn't want to fall, some of the drop offs looked dangerous. Also look out for Copperheads (I didn't see any but they had a warning sign up)
Hole 14 was my favorite it went right off a cliff, but there were plenty of other holes that I loved

Lots of the Disc Catchers were located in such a way that you would pay for a short or long throw. Me and they guy I was with had to climb down more than one steep bank.

The only problem I had with it was it was tough to navigate. They had some signs up telling you which way to go but they needed more I got lost multiple times. Some of the holes need to be marked better. To some people dirt Tee Pads are a bad thing but not to me, I think I actually prefer them

But all in all I loved it! Very very underrated, weather permitting I'll be back later this week.

Hocking College DGC

1    9/6/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: Magilicutty
Pros: Very scenic wooded holes. A lot of work has been done with staircases, bridges etc.. Tons of elevation through wooded fairways, without anything being a poke and hope.
If you like wooded courses and are in the area, it is definately worth stopping.
Also very close to the freeway.
Cons: No concrete. Most of the tees were manageable, but a few weren't level or had some interfering roots. It appears there has been some effort at signage, but is still not enough to smoothly navigate the course. There was a sign on either 13 or 14 which stated: "Copperheads spotted in the area 9/2/2009" (3 days prior to me playing)
Other Thoughts: Some discers we ran into said that there was some construction going on which was affecting several holes, plus they have recently expanded from 12 to 18 holes, so given some time, i'm sure the course will just get better. At present hole 2 didn't have an actual teepad. We found the remnents of a spraypainted line and #2 so threw from there. Never found the true teepad for 16, but were able to play what we believed was the general hole. (the only way that didn't have buildings coming into play) Hole 18's teepad is literally 7 feet from 17's basket. And hole 18's tee sign (which still reads hole 12 from before the expansion) is actually between those.

a nice surprise

1    10/11/2008   10/15/2008
Review By: zero_43502
This review was updated on 12/7/2010
Pros: cliff hole (# 10)
lots of steep hills ,
tricky greens and fairways
very well kept on friendly campus
great views in the woods after # 2
Cons: the walks in between holes.
the first 4 holes are boring and could be better
tee signs had wrong distances on them
Other Thoughts: For all that is wrong with this course it is easily forgiven because the unforgettable views and great design on of the holes

Hocking College Disc Golf course

1    8/10/2008   8/12/2008
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: This course has the land that every DG course designer wishes they have to utilize when designing a course. I love the steep ravines that border some of the baskets. I also loved the deep ravines that are used for fairways. I also loved the circular (disc shaped) scorecards that are available at the student center. Nice descriptive tee signs. Hole # 10 is not on 'top of the world', but your close to the heavens when playing this hole and if you miss the green either to short or to long you will be punished as you will for most every other hole on this course.
Cons: the long, long and then some trek up the hill for hole # 3 was a bit extreme as well as the long, long trek down the hill to # 12 ( as there wasn't any signage leading you down the steep hill from basket #11), poor signage and poor inaccurate distances on a few holes. Dirt Tees
Other Thoughts: Personally I think the walk up the hill wasn't as bad as the one down, as at least you knew where you we're going. I also personally feel that the fairway on hole # 4 was a bit extremely narrow for the type of terrain that is being used. Perhaps the designer could look at moving #4's fairway just to the left a little and up the grassy slope and still have the Hocking feel [the pain] with the basket abutting to a steep ravine. And I'd like to see hole # 5 fairway changed to use the big wide open old truck path [granted it gets sloppy when wet] but those 2 fairways are just to narrow for recreational players [which is probally the skill level for most players in this area]. I hope they put a couple more holes leading down and around the hill from hole # 11 to hole # 12. The holes aren't overly long, but are very fair considering the type of land that is being used. This area is "PRIMO" for more Disc Golf courses in the area and this course will be a good model, with a few minor changes and additions.

If interested please contact me for any help.