Leander, TX
Benbrook Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: BELLYRUBS Hole #2 (Taken 1/2009)

No good for visitors

1    9/26/2010   9/26/2010
Review By: jeremybaynai
Pros: I can see the potential in this course.
+Seems to be a nice layout.
+Holes laid out in a variety of lengths and directions.
+Only public/free/18-hole course in the area.
+Fairways well mowed
Cons: I'll preface this with the fact that I'm not a newbie. I've been playing for year and have played dozens of courses in MI, NC, TX, and CO.

NO TEES!! I saw some reviews talking about maybe some gravel or mulch, but after the first tee box (which is just a patch of dead grass), I literally just teed off from wherever seemed to be a slightly worn area. Maybe no one plays in the summer so everything is over grown, but seriously, i looked at the course map and just guessed as to where I should tee off from. I understand some public park courses not having the funding for nice cement pads and tee markers, but can't someone from the area go out there with a shovel and make a real tee?

Along with no tees, comes the fact that you have no idea where the next hole is because you don't know which direction you should be going. I saw another reviewer make a comment on this, and just assumed they were being overly critical, thinking "Of course you need to scout out where a basket is if you've never played the course before". But usually you have a general idea of where you're going. But even with the course map loaded on my phone, I literally wandered around looking for the basket, and once i found it, I walked back to where i had come from trying to figure out what would function as the fairway.

Be careful assuming anything. I threw my disc into a pond when i over shot the WRONG hole. I was throwing at what i believed to be 3, over shot it by 10 feet, only to find out that was the 17th basket anyway.
Other Thoughts: If you live real close and can take the time and effort to get to know the terrain, I believe this could be a pretty decent little course. But for anyone that is considering making a trip to head up and play the Leander courses, most are on private property, and this one is just not worth it, stay at home.

Benbrook Park

2-4    7/23/2008   7/24/2008
Review By: sidewinding
This review was updated on 1/13/2009
Pros: I keep trying this course hoping they have made improvements but they never do. About 1/3 of the holes on this course are very interesting and fun (if you can find their teepads).
Cons: There are no signs but if you find the dirt teepad for #1, just in front of the three large rocks by the parking area, the course can be followed with a little luck.

This would be a pretty good course if they would fix the one major problem; The rough is too punishing. They mow the fairways and leave everything else to go wild. Not if, but when you miss the narrow fairways, you have to search knee high weeds or briar filled woods to find your disc. The weeds are so high that I didn't even know there was a creek down the middle of the course until my disc went in it. All five of our group were covered with scratches from the briars and brambles that make up the secondary rough (outside the neck high weeds). You will lose discs at this course!
Other Thoughts: Let the creek and trees be the hazards, not the weeds. Until then the fun factor is just not there.