Debary, FL
River City Nature Park Share
Uploaded By: br2526 Hole #9
Hole #9 Basket (A Position)

First trip of many more to come

1    9/18/2014   9/19/2014
Review By: DelightSquad
Pros: This being a WCDGD course I held high expectations going in for my first round, and it delivered!

My first pro was driving into the park. It's clear that you are entering a dedicated disc golf course, and the quality grooming is apparent. Hole 1 sits adjacent to the parking lot, with hole 9 bringing you back here as well for easy access to leave or reload.

Some other stuff you will notice upon arriving:
-2 pads per hole (red/white)
-signage every hole (both tees)
-large, grippy pads (both tees)
- great condition Innova discatchers & a prac basket

Something that falls into both pros and cons for me is the amount of pin locations, which I have very mixed feelings about. Hole 1 has 4 positions if I recall correctly, and this was suiting. I really like that some holes were given room to "grow" or "evolve", and that one day you may have a par 3 and another day a long par 4, dramatically changing the way the course is played, and keeping you focused and preventing complacency in your game if you are lucky enough to be a local.

Next tee signs were also very helpful, but I would give them a 3.5 out of 5 as a micro rating. Many times they grabbed my eye and brought me to the next pad without much struggle, in fact finding the next pad was only hard once; from 14 to 15. 14 was in a newer, shorter position and the walk to 15's pad brought you through a couple bends.

Another thing I always enjoy in a DG course are its level of amenities. RCNP had plenty of benches and trash cans. This is always a huge plus for the course's well being. I also very much enjoyed the aesthetic of the bridges that cross a few streams that run the course.

A con that I have read in previous reviews does not add up for me. Elevation at RCNP, while nothing to brag about, is present. hole 3 comes to mind immediately, with its sloping right to left hill which I know could create trouble. A few more holes throughout had slight changes around the basket or at the tee to give some shots that extra need for consideration.

Flora - RCNP is, to me, what Florida should look like. The pines, oaks, and palms throughout are very FL. Around many baskets you will find a sandy bottom, which also gives me that good old FL feel. There are several runoff/streams that add an aesthetic to this place too. As for the fairways, most are clear cut and without much underbrush at all, although this place will CERTAINLY punish your errant shot on many holes, a big PLUS to me.

Another big factor here was the courses ability to make me throw different shots and think about lines very intently. There were several holes that demanded you to pick your line and TRUST it. Every time I was not confident in my shot things went poorly and I was off the fairway. This certainly added to the challenge factor, as it made me want to play smart and focused, while many courses allow you to fall asleep at the wheel.

Cons: The pros far outweigh the cons, but one thing certainly stands out for me and others; pin navigation. This can be a nightmare for a first time visitor, and in my opinion, the tee signs did not reflect where the hole was on many occasions. This created a lot of walkups before throwing. Lose for the infrequent player, but a win for the local and weekly player. Also, depending on the frequency of basket moving, I would imagine some pin locations would be seen only once or twice a year, personally defeating the purpose of having so many, although thinking pragmatically, one could imagine this is a way of testing the hole configurations out, with intentions to remove pins as they become less desirable.

Only other con that comes to mind is that I did not see any bathrooms, although a port-o may have been nearby.
Other Thoughts: This was my first trip to RCNP, after many times saying "we should go". I didn't know what I was missing!

We made it out later in the day and were only able to complete 15 holes, but are headed back there today.

This course was a refreshing change for my general enjoyment of our sport. Now, as a resident of Orlando, I will be at RCNP as much as I can.

Before this gets too long, I would lastly like to say that a course review should sometimes express opinion towards the local club that maintains and runs weeklies at a course. Great job out there Debary Disc Golf Club!

Willy wonka's garden

1    6/22/2014   6/24/2014
Review By: Loomis
Pros: Good shot selections. Beautiful surroundings if you can look past the industrial power line towers. It's impressive.
Cons: Hole 14 has over 12 different pin positions which is silly. It's hard to know where to go on most shots. That goes for a lot of the holes. The space is really better suited for 27 holes or two 18 hole courses. It's big and stretching out 18 is just a mess.
Other Thoughts: Totally worth playing. It may be easy to lose a disc here or to lose sight of the pins but so what. Play it anyway.

Note: the trees here okay for keeps so don't throw into them.

River City's a real gas!

1    12/30/2013   2/4/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 2/25/2014
Pros: Wonderfully designed course in a clean, quiet area where I didn't see much else happening.
• Design: The park is full of hammocks, (dense stands of trees), separated by open meadow. The naturally occurring spaces between the hammocks comprise most of the fairways, but it's the masterful way in which the tees and pins were placed that allows you to appreciate just how much good discing they squeezed out of this parcel. There's plenty of open space to work different lines, but pretty much every hole narrows at one or more points, forcing you to hit certain windows (regardless of the route you took to get there) to get to a nicely tucked or otherwise well-guarded green. Almost the entire course is some variation on this theme, yet the course never felt repetitive or boring - probably because you always have to think about how you're going to get around this or that obstacle to set up your next shot for a good look at the pin.
• Variety: Nice balance of L/R/straight and some more complex shots off the tee. Distances range from short Ace Runs to bombers and everything in between. Distance can definitely help on some holes (especially from the longs) but every hole requires placement to score well. Long and short tees often present reasonably different looks. Combine with a plethora of rotating pin placements (I'm not kidding), and locals have a course that plays a myriad of different ways.
• Equipment: Textured concrete was grippy, even when wet. Nice signage at both sets of tees show hole layout, and distances for multiple pin placements. Yellow Innovas are easy to spot.
• Navigation: Intuitive routing, generous use of next tee signs and easy to spot tee markers making getting around a pleasure - only had to check the map 2-3 times.
• Aesthetics: Lush, green, and quite eye appealing IMO. I like courses that intersperse open areas with wooded sections. Not much nasty underbrush, although there are some places where discs could be tough to find.
• Risk/Reward: Full of holes that appear seemingly innocent are misleadingly tricky. They set up for easy pars and birdies if played well, but can easily cost a stroke if misplayed, particularly if you cut into the woods early. Unlike some open holes where worm-burners can be made up with a longer 2nd shot to set up a par, you may need to back off on your 2nd shot to hit the window to set up your approach and putt for a bogie. Rewards you for playing within your game, and punishes you for taking things for granted - most of the times I got burned were for being too ambitious on tee shots I knew I could pull off …if I hit 'em just right.
Cons:
• No no elevation to speak of, and lacks variety in terms of different fairway types.
• Gas pipe installations are a bit of an eyesore on a course that's otherwise very pleasant to look at.
• Fire ant hills all over the place - watch where you place your bag (and your feet).
• More of an FIY than a con: the abundance of possible pin placements means you'll have to walk numerous fairways to see where you're throwing. That said, River City features an almost embarrassing number of pin placements on some holes. Several tee signs show 5 possibilities, and # 14 lists eleven! (although a local told me only 5 of those 11 actually have collars).
Other Thoughts: Loved playing here - just might be my favorite course in the state. They did a wonderful job laying things out to create a course that's fun, challenging, and makes you think your way through your round in a setting that's visually appealing as it weaves it's way from open fields into the woods.

Makes up for what it lacks in terms of elevation and differing fairway types with cleverly laid-out holes using multiple tees/pin placements… this place is chock full of good spots to nestle a basket in amongst the trees. As much as River City kept me engaged the entire round, I love me some elevation, and think this could've been a 4.5 if the terrain had some real ups and downs.

There's an orange tree near 9's short pin.

Just 11 miles from the camp grounds at Blue Spring State Park. Even if you're not camping, it's worth a visit to see manatees, tarpon, gars and more bathing in the crystal clear, warm, spring waters feeding into the St. Johns River.

Great condition course

5+    1/2/2014   1/2/2014
Review By: dew-e
Pros: Course is well maintained. Fairways are all mowed and clear of normal Florida overgrowth. Pads are in great shape and very grippy, plenty of variety available in various pin placements. Holes can be in very hard positions one day, much easier positions the next week. Nice variety in difficulties between the various pin placements and the club does a good job changing up the basket placements in small batches so you can learn one placement really well if you play the course often.
Cons: No restroom facilities or running water. The only negative about this park and facility. I think many people would rate this course as the best in Central Florida if it had at least one bathroom facility similar to Turkey Lake park
Other Thoughts: Would love to see this course grow to a permanent 22 or 24+ hole setup.

Great Course!

1    12/22/2013   12/25/2013
Review By: Marcwrosejr
Pros: This was the first time I've played here and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is a good flow of the course. I've heard threw the local league players that the signs were recently updated and I gotta say they pretty sharp.

The course is pretty well maintained with short, but technical fairways. Good for all levels of players. I love the scenery, it reminds me of Georgia or South Carolina minus the mountains.

A lot of great people to socialize with about the game.
Cons: They could use restrooms and water fountains. I could see someone posting up a hot dog stand on the weekends and making some $$.
Other Thoughts: This is in the top 2 of Central Florida in my opinion. Turkey Lake t2 is my other fav. I live 15 mins away from Barnett Park and that's a nice course too, but I will make it a point to play more out here!

Solid course worthy or repeat play

5+    12/1/2013   12/1/2013
Review By: blueblur
Pros: Variety is the biggest Pro for this course. It has long pads and short pads on every hole. It has lots of pin positions on every hole (usually 3+ and up to 11 on hole 14). The course also has a variety of hole types. Some right to left, some left to right, some open, some wooded, some long and some short.
Good baskets, good teepads and great signs recently installed.
Cons: No facilities or running water. No elevation or water hazards but this isn't something that can be designed. However, there are a couple of low lying areas with high grass marked as OB with string lines and flags which is a great substitute for water.

The secret is out!

1    12/1/2013   12/1/2013
Review By: Curtis Loew
Pros: This course requires many different tee shots ranging from low touch flicks to long back hand bombs so you WILL be tested!

A couple of unique features of this course are the multiple pin placements and the seclusion of the course. There are no walking trails or playgrounds on around the course. It is very peaceful and the park is beautiful! It is common to see bald eagles and other cool wildlife.

I played the course multiple times preparing for the recent Debary Open 11/23 & 11/24/13. The DeBary Disc Golf Club was very active and the course has many recent improvements:
•New Tee Signs - they look terrific!
•New NEXT TEE signage which makes it very easy to navigate between holes.
•Multiple new trees were planted both Oak and Magnolia for shade and aesthetics
Cons: There are no facilities at this time. I understand the City of DeBary is working with Club to add a pavilion and rest rooms in the future.
Other Thoughts: It is hard to pick a signature hole because the pin placements can make such a big change but #17 is a short par 3 under a full canopy that is a beautiful hole and # 14 with the awesome large trapezoid pad and 10 pin placements are both great holes!

The recent tournament created a huge buzz about what a great course this has become. The secret is out!

Can't wait to get back!

2-4    11/30/2013   12/1/2013
Review By: fuzzbomb
Pros: What a great course for Central Florida! We spent some time in Daytona for the holidays and made the drive over to River City to check out the course and I'm glad we did. I ended up playing this course every day I was in town.

In the shadow of a giant power plant on the edge of Lake Monroe is tucked River City Park... and the course is the centerpiece.

The course is very well-maintained. Example: the first day we played there were very high winds and the palm trees were shedding leaves left and right. We came to play the next morning (Thanksgiving day, 9am) and there was a guy there who had already cleaned the course of deadfall and was cutting limbs off the driveway.

There are two concrete pads at each hole and a variety of pin placements. The pin placement is indicated by a marker on the signs at each pad. The signs were bright and well made and present without exception and the pads were grippy and clean. These guys even had brooms on most of the pads to help keep it clean.

There is a good variety of short and long holes, with plenty of longer holes to stretch out your throws. There isn't a lot of elevation change in general (it's central Florida), but the course was able to incorporate the elevation changes at the park in the design.

After playing so many Charlotte courses this one was a breath of fresh air. It was very nice to stand on tee pad and not feel like every tee shot is bound up by a hallway of trees and obstructions. I *really* liked the open tee shots and the opportunity to unload with the drives... time after time. But even with that aspect, shot placement is crucial or you will quickly find yourself in a thick rough or with a very poor shot on a tricky pin placement.

From the long tee pads this course is not a "quick play" (unless you know the course, play solo and hustle between shots). I played with one other and we usually played around 2 hours plus. This is a positive in my book.

The setting is beautiful. I imagine this place gets brutal in the summer, but on a cloudy day in November this place is practically paradise.

Cons: Could be more benches and trash cans, but there aren't so few that it affects my rating.

A couple holes are a little on the bland side (6 and 15 come to mind) but I can recognize that it is tough for every hole to be a signature hole.

There really is very little about this course to complain about. No bathrooms or water, but I didn't subtract for that either.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to come back!

I was able to play this course in varying conditions (high winds, occasional gusty winds and calm) and I enjoyed all three.

Saw a bald eagle out there on consecutive days. Awesome.

On 9 I came up a little short with my hyzer shot and ended up in the middle of a roundish thicket... When I looked up to scout a shot out I saw I was surrounded by ripe oranges. Had a delicious snack, then got up and down for par.

It may be worth noting, one morning we decided to play the course in Daytona but when we pulled in and saw the course we looked at each other, and said "Let's go back to River City". And so we did.

DESIGN EXTRAORDINAIRE

2-4    11/24/2013   11/28/2013
Review By: Iowa420DG
This review was updated on 6/9/2014
Pros: Overall Score (4.6)

Tee pads (4/5): Level, rough concrete tees that are suitable for size. Nearly every hole has multiple tees, and many tees had a broom to sweep it clean. The only reason that the tees aren't a perfect 5 is because they're unusually rough.

Baskets (5/5): New DISCatchers with yellow tops. Baskets were very easy to identify on all of the wooded holes. They caught well, and all chains were in good condition.

Layout/Design (5/5): This is perhaps the best designed course I've ever played. I don't know where to start. First of all, for having no elevation to use, the course uses the land perfectly - loops back to the parking lot after 9 and 18 and includes a great variety of entertaining holes. Every hole challenges you, even the short ones, while remaining highly "par-able" if played correctly. The variety of possible pin locations just blows my mind! Every hole seems to have a minimum of three possible placements, with four or five being the average. Hole #14 has 11 different placements! Don't believe me? Look at the tee sign! Which reminds me, the tee signs are immaculate. The only thing they could use is a better method of marking what location the basket is currently in. This course also makes good use of arrows to show where the "Next Tee" is.

Scenery/Surroundings (4/5): Beautiful course that lacks any eye-popping sites. As mentioned in other reviews, look for bald eagles around hole #4. The locals seem to be very nice and into the sport of disc golf quite a bit. The course was incredibly clean, and very few overly rough patches off the fairway... but that's expected.

Likeliness to Return (5/5): I would absolutely have to return to this course. The word is that they're going to be adding more holes. And I can't wait to see what the other pin locations are like in the future.

Nature Park, Indeed

5+    11/24/2013   11/28/2013
Review By: mullethead326
Pros: -This is a great design. It mixes open and wooded sections fluidly, and with multiple pin positions on every hole, you could conceivably play thousands of different layouts. In order to score well, you must understand how to shape shots in tight sections, place them on multi-shot holes, and manage OBs and mandos throughout. Nearly every hole has at least one valid line, and most long holes are followed shortly after by a shorter, touchier shot, creating a flow that keeps the course fresh. When the wind picks up, it increases the degree of difficulty dramatically.

-Look for the eagles' nest between holes 3 and 4.

-Tee signs are new and professional. Distances and pin positions are clearly indicated, with the current location marked by a golf tee. My only navigation issues were finding hole 12 (white) and 15. Didn't take long, but 12 red is most apparent from the previous basket and 15 requires a little hunting.

-Hole 7 is a good par 4. From either tee, it requires a solid drive and a controlled upshot to some of the nearer positions, and for the longer positions brings the OB into play on the second or third shots.

-Hole 10 is easily my favorite hole on the course. Off the white tee, there's the option for a RH flick line, or a skinny straight backhand. The red tee isn't dramatically shorter, but does open up both lines by removing the tight initial gap. If you execute this shot well, you know it, and if you make a mistake, you're liable to scramble for par.

-All of the mandos and OB play fairly, and are clearly indicated on tee signs and relevant obstacles.
Cons: -Despite having all of these alternate pin positions, not all of them significantly change a hole's look or play. For example, hole 13 is a par 4 largely built on the tee shot. A good straight drive should leave an easy upshot to the shortest three positions, pretty much regardless of placement. The designer did say that in the future, the goal is to add a third set of pads to many of the holes, increasing the variety and potential difficulty, which may alleviate some of this concern.

-Hole 15's B and C positions are irritating. The most sensible way to get there is playing a big backhand hyzer (LH or RH), but there really isn't a defined line to get there. Playing up the middle, as makes more sense for the A-pin, has a good set of initial gaps, but the second set is more poke-and-hope.

-Several of the teepads don't align with some of their respective pin positions or fairways (1 is a notable offender). In talking with some of the locals, it seems that they point to the original pin locations from the nine-hole configuration, and others were added later. You can get used to working around it, and they are otherwise in good condition and adequately long and wide.

-At present, there are no facilities or running water on site. I could see some areas getting swampy after heavy rain. These considerations are not reflected in this review; only design and execution.
Other Thoughts: -Everyone who plays this course will talk about hole 14, whether good or bad. It's pretty cool just to have more than ten pin positions on a single hole, but many of them are the same tee shot to one of the near positions, followed by a layup to a deeper one. Interesting concept that ends up playing a little boring. The tee sign for 14 should be rotated to reflect the actual orientation of the teepad and fairways.

-I have mixed feelings about hole 2. It's a great tee shot (from the longs, especially) because it requires hitting a reasonable gap while controlling distance and finish. Unfortunately, the second shot is kind of bland and it makes the hole a fairly easy 3 or boring 4. Granted, if you go left off the tee, you're fighting hard for that 4.

-Parking is adequate. Baskets are new Discatchers.

-The schule is thick. This is Florida scrub, and the palmettos and other undergrowth will eat your discs. As a design concept, leaving it this thick is great! It tends to reward good shots, and punish bad ones--although some greens have palmettos as close as 10-15 feet.

-As a parting thought, this course is really good and getting better. The volunteers have clearly joined together to create a quality course, and I look forward to playing it again, likely in a different configuration. Additional holes, as possibly rumored, would be great, but as it stands this is easily one of the best courses in the area.