Debary, FL
River City Nature Park - Alpha Share
Uploaded By: br2526 Hole #11
Hole #11 Basket (A Position)

< Prev 1 2 3
Worth the trip

1    10/18/2015   1/21/2016
Review By: hazimwood
This review was updated on 7/29/2016
Pros: Good layout
Good mix of left and right shots
Good tee signs and Baskets
Clean
Lots of Parking
Nice pads
good mix of woods and open shots.
friendly locals
The place is beautiful
easy to find discs, even in the woods.
Cons: No facilities
Hard to figure out which position the baskets are in for some shots.
drainage could be better in some spots
Large hornets ..Biggest Hornets nest I've ever seen..It wasn't a problem really, just concerning.
Other Thoughts: I'm from Miami and was visiting friends in Orlando and this place was a bit out of the way but was worth the trip. Just bring snacks and drinks and a cooler maybe.

Beautiful Florida course

2-4    1/19/2016   1/19/2016
Review By: shirleynotme
Pros: Very nice course in a well maintained park. Fun to play with lots of different shots. Nice tee pads and signs, benches on most holes.
Cons: Not really any cons other than some standing water after rains on a couple holes.

Top Notch!

1    7/25/2015   8/7/2015
Review By: Jiggy202
Pros:
-2 concrete tee pads, great tee signs, and multiple pin locations on every hole
-Excellent tee signs with distances to every pin position from both pads and decent current pin location marker.
-Variety of hole types here is excellent, a little bit of everything in the very nice park dedicated to disc golf.
-Free to play
Cons:
-No restrooms on site
-Some hole with unnecessary extra pin placements. 3 or 4 cool, but 11 pin placements is a bit much
-Could use a few more next hole signs to make flow a bit easier for first timers.
I was hesitant to make the drive out to play this course, but we got a recommendation so we decided to give it a shot. I was NOT disappointed, this course is great. There is a ton of variety here and its designed to challenge players of all skill levels. Sure this course doesn't much elevation, but it uses the little bit it does have perfectly. The low spots can get some standing water and they become OB water hazards, love how this is noted on the tee signs. You can tell that this course is consistently well taken care of, I hope they keep improving this course. Not having restrooms and the fact that it was a bit difficult to navigate for a first timer is the only real downside to this course. I would definitely come back and play this course again. Probably my favorite course I was able to play in FL.

5+    8/2/2015   8/5/2015
Review By: Discdude1414
This review was updated on 11/25/2015
Pros: First I want to give props to the course designer, for making this course with many different types of holes. There are some holes where there is a marked fairway, and you know where you need to go. Some other, there are trees everywhere and you have to be creative and find your own path. The tee boxes are always cleared off and you can see them. The signs at the tee box is good, and accurately shows where the hole is. There are 2 tee boxes on every hole and at least 3 hole placements, even up to 11 on one hole!! This gives much variety to every hole. I go there often and about 1/3 of the holes are moved about every week or two. Bottom line is this is one of the best courses I have played and I am proud to call it my local course.
Cons: The course is beautiful, but I wish that it would be maintained a little bit better. I know it's hard to do that with a free course, but the trashcans usually have tons of beer and I wish they were changed more often. There are no facilities on the course, but if you really had to take a leak you could find a bush. When going hole to hole it can be confusing finding the next hole, but there are some signs pointing you in the direction.
Other Thoughts: Great course, lots of variety and also got my first ACE there so hole 18 is even more special to me.

Wish I lived closer

1    6/23/2015   6/24/2015
Review By: thisdoesfine
Pros: No water hazards
Concrete tees - although a bit short.
Multiple tees / pins (11 pins is too many for one hole guys, LOL)
Nice looking signage (does need some accuracy work)
Good variety of left / straight / right holes
Good variety of fairly open and tighter technical holes
Dedicated disc golf park
Some benches along the way
Very clean park
Decent amount of shade for Florida heat

Cons: No restrooms. This may not be a big deal to some, but, I was there with my pregnant wife and child. Even a port-a-potty would have helped. We traveled from out of town and ended up getting back on I-4 just to find a restroom she could use prior to playing. 10 minute drive or so.

Signage doesn't reflect where the pins actually are all the time, and for a first time playing the course it was a bit confusing on a few holes.

One next tee sign actually points in the complete opposite direction of the next hole, I think 7? It may be a joke but we walked around in the hot sun for a bit looking for the next tee. (Ok, I did, and she stood in the shade) :)

It looks like they are trying to set up a system to show which alternate pin is being used but it's not 100% and a few holes I had no idea where to throw the disc. I luckily found a local on hole 14 (11 different pin options) as the marker showed position "E" and it was actually in position "I". This was almost a 90 degree difference in throwing angle, perhaps 400' apart?

Other Thoughts: I've yet to see a 5/5 course. I imagine it will be manicured much like a ball golf course. That lost 0.5.
The no bathrooms loses 0.5 especially for the remote nature and size of this course.
The signage issues although minimal do lose another 0.5.

If you come from out of town via i-4, hit an exit before this one and use the restroom and /or get a bite to eat. Bring water as it's a fairly long course. Put your window visor in your front windshield as there are no trees to park under. Bring your discs obviously, and get ready to play a really good course. I wish I lived closer so I could learn the flow of the course and experience just how much the course can change with the numerous alt pins.

Adding bathrooms and fixing the signage issues easily puts the course to a 4, possibly 4.5.

If your're near Central Florida you need to play this course

5+    5/15/2015   5/21/2015
Review By: Kill Face
Pros: Easy to navigate,at least 3 pin placements per hole most have an average of 5 or so placements,concrete pads tee,challenging yet fun from both long and short pads,the local DG club and city keep it well maintained.
Cons: No facilities (bathrooms or water fountains) not a huge deal just a heads up.
Other Thoughts: This course meanders through pines and palms with well thought out fairways for all the pin locations and great flow to the course. There is not much around this very pretty property so you will see some wildlife,eagles and snakes and so on, which is always nice. The Debary Disc Golf Club is constantly working to add to or improve this course and you can see the love thats put into the course everywhere you look while navigating it. They also do a great job of moving pin locations which means I never get the feeling that I am just grinding through a round. Overall this is my favorite local course to play in Central Florida and its a course that should be added to your itinerary if you plan on visiting the area or live locally and haven't played it yet.

Best course in Florida

5+    5/3/2015   5/18/2015
Review By: MikeLinkenauger
Pros: Simply the best course in Florida in my opinion, and I have played most of them now. Glad to see it moving up the ratings, as it just keeps getting better and better each time I drive out to play it and should be #1. I'm a hard @$$ when it comes to my rating, and this course deserves a 4.5 or BETTER. Here are the top 10 reasons I think this course is the best in Florida. #1) It is always extremely well maintained. Grass cut low for great skip shots, no major "rough" or unmanicured areas with too much brush / trees. 2.) There are 3-12 different basket positions for each hole, so it never plays the same. Sometimes a hole will be a par three, then a par four the next time. Always something new. 3.) Two HUGE tee pads for each hole offer Amateur and Pro players a challenging course. 4.) Awesome diversity in holes. You will need to throw both backhands and flicks, and even a roller or two on long holes and maybe a tomahawk or thumber if you land in a rough spot. 5.) Disc golf is the ONLY thing in this HUGE park, so no pedestrians to watch out for. 6.) VERY pet friendly. 7.) Several Practice baskets to warm up on. 8.) ACCURATE and easy to read signs on each hole for each tee pad. Golf tees also mark exactly which position the baskets are in. 9.) Never had an issue with bugs or mosquitos on this course, which can be an issue on many Florida courses. 10.) Just a great terrain that is unparalleled. Perfect amount of shady / wooded holes, semi-techincal holes and open shots. Holes make use of the little elevation throughout. It just doesn't get better than this.
Cons: You REALLY have to work to find ANYTHING wrong with this course. The first two or three times I played this course I accidentally skipped holes 8-12 and had to go back and play them again. Because hole 7 has so many positions it is VERY easy to miss the 8 pad, depending on where you end. Also, course has very little elevation, but SOME. This is of course common in flat 'ole Florida.
Other Thoughts: Holes 7 and 8 change dramatically depending on recent rains. I have played both holes "dry", and both holes with decent size ponds on them. Either way, they play awesome. One time, on hole 7 after a very big rain the basket was actually IN the water. Usually, especially over summer, expect ponds on these holes, especially 7. Make note of these holes! The ONLY things that this course is missing, LITERALLY, in my opinion are a pro shop, concessions and a restroom. For it to be a perfect 5 in my book, it would need these. Again, you REALLY have to work to find anything imperfect about this course. Instead of that, This course is pretty much perfect. It is a short drive from Orlando, Daytona, and Jacksonville, and is WELL worth it! I also can't wait to see how the other NEW 18 hole course on the property turns out once it develops. Courses that are NOT this good in other states are rated 4.5 or higher. This course is UNDER rated!

1    4/25/2015   4/26/2015
Review By: Sorg67
Pros: Enjoyable place to talk a walk
Interesting variety of long and short, tight and open left and right.
A bit more challenging from short tees than Turkey Lake T1 or T2 or Barnett Parkside. Less challenging than Barnett North. But very playable from short tees as a novice. And difficulty can be adjusted dramatically by multiple basket locations.
Locals are very nice and very proud of their course.
Signage is excellent.
Cons: Navigation requires paying attention. Make sure you notice "next tee" arrow on tee pad sign.
It would be nice if current basket location was noted on tee pad sign. Had some diffulculty finding a few baskets. Played to the wrong basket once.
Other Thoughts: Will definitely play here again.

This course is FREE?

5+    4/4/2015   4/7/2015
Review By: MountainGoat
Pros: Clear signage on every hole.
Pro/Am tees on every hole.
3 to 7 pin placements on every hole.
Clearly marked at pad which pin is in.
Concrete pads.
Beautiful Scenery.
Excellent use of property/elevation.
Active community and a second 18 is under way/playable.
FREE to the public.
Cons: I don't see any cons. I have played at 20ish courses and this is the best looking with the most target options and the ones that compare are pay to play.
Other Thoughts: This course is sick. I went down to Florida from MN with the idea of checking out some new courses. I played one other course 2x and played this one 10 times. Probably my favorite course, too bad it is 1700 miles away. I will be donating to the active Debary Disc Golf Club as they are working on a fresh 18 out there (playable but no signage to be aware, clearly in the early stages) and I love the fact that the one course is perfected and they are right on to the next project. If you live anywhere near this and want to get good at golf, come here. OFTEN.

Absolutely amazing course thats a blast every time I play it.

5+    12/5/2014   2/5/2015
Review By: xGIRTHx
Pros: Great mix of shots and long/short holes. Beautifully laid out and makes the most of the land its located on. Tons of pin positions as well as two tee pads for each hole. Usually well manicured and each hole has its own characteristics/identity. The flow of the course is good and i've never had a bad time here.
Cons: Im struggling to come up with some. No bathrooms and the course gets a little soggy after a nice rain. No elevation but that's Florida's fault.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is one of my favorite courses to play. I've played at least 15 different courses and this one ranks right up there as one of the best. I thoroughly enjoyed this course when it was just 9 holes and now that its 18 its pretty close to perfect.

< Prev 1 2 3