Debary, FL
Uploaded By: br2526 Hole #3
Hole #3 Red Tee

1    4/25/2015   4/26/2015
Review By: Sorg67
Pros: Enjoyable place to talk a walk
Interesting variety of long and short, tight and open left and right.
A bit more challenging from short tees than Turkey Lake T1 or T2 or Barnett Parkside. Less challenging than Barnett North. But very playable from short tees as a novice. And difficulty can be adjusted dramatically by multiple basket locations.
Locals are very nice and very proud of their course.
Signage is excellent.
Cons: Navigation requires paying attention. Make sure you notice "next tee" arrow on tee pad sign.
It would be nice if current basket location was noted on tee pad sign. Had some diffulculty finding a few baskets. Played to the wrong basket once.
Other Thoughts: Will definitely play here again.

This course is FREE?

5+    4/4/2015   4/7/2015
Review By: MountainGoat
Pros: Clear signage on every hole.
Pro/Am tees on every hole.
3 to 7 pin placements on every hole.
Clearly marked at pad which pin is in.
Concrete pads.
Beautiful Scenery.
Excellent use of property/elevation.
Active community and a second 18 is under way/playable.
FREE to the public.
Cons: I don't see any cons. I have played at 20ish courses and this is the best looking with the most target options and the ones that compare are pay to play.
Other Thoughts: This course is sick. I went down to Florida from MN with the idea of checking out some new courses. I played one other course 2x and played this one 10 times. Probably my favorite course, too bad it is 1700 miles away. I will be donating to the active Debary Disc Golf Club as they are working on a fresh 18 out there (playable but no signage to be aware, clearly in the early stages) and I love the fact that the one course is perfected and they are right on to the next project. If you live anywhere near this and want to get good at golf, come here. OFTEN.

Absolutely amazing course thats a blast every time I play it.

5+    12/5/2014   2/5/2015
Review By: xGIRTHx
Pros: Great mix of shots and long/short holes. Beautifully laid out and makes the most of the land its located on. Tons of pin positions as well as two tee pads for each hole. Usually well manicured and each hole has its own characteristics/identity. The flow of the course is good and i've never had a bad time here.
Cons: Im struggling to come up with some. No bathrooms and the course gets a little soggy after a nice rain. No elevation but that's Florida's fault.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is one of my favorite courses to play. I've played at least 15 different courses and this one ranks right up there as one of the best. I thoroughly enjoyed this course when it was just 9 holes and now that its 18 its pretty close to perfect.

Course is in good shape

1    11/1/2014   11/3/2014
Review By: ricklev
Pros: The grass is fairly short and there weren't many ant hills. It had cooled down to the 60's, so the bug count was lower too. The shots are fair, where you get rewarded if you keep the line to the basket and often penalized if you don't. The beautiful St. Johns river is nearby.
Cons: The baskets weren't easy to spot. As others have mentioned, there are so many pins, it's hard to see where the basket is. Often the tee marked the basket location, but I (or my wife) still had to walk the course to see where the basket was. Not a big problem, but we did have to do this.
Other Thoughts: I only got in 7 of the first 9 holes before I had to leave, but I enjoyed playing this course.

First trip of many more to come

1    9/18/2014   9/19/2014
Review By: DelightSquad
Pros: This being a WCDGD course I held high expectations going in for my first round, and it delivered!

My first pro was driving into the park. It's clear that you are entering a dedicated disc golf course, and the quality grooming is apparent. Hole 1 sits adjacent to the parking lot, with hole 9 bringing you back here as well for easy access to leave or reload.

Some other stuff you will notice upon arriving:
-2 pads per hole (red/white)
-signage every hole (both tees)
-large, grippy pads (both tees)
- great condition Innova discatchers & a prac basket

Something that falls into both pros and cons for me is the amount of pin locations, which I have very mixed feelings about. Hole 1 has 4 positions if I recall correctly, and this was suiting. I really like that some holes were given room to "grow" or "evolve", and that one day you may have a par 3 and another day a long par 4, dramatically changing the way the course is played, and keeping you focused and preventing complacency in your game if you are lucky enough to be a local.

Next tee signs were also very helpful, but I would give them a 3.5 out of 5 as a micro rating. Many times they grabbed my eye and brought me to the next pad without much struggle, in fact finding the next pad was only hard once; from 14 to 15. 14 was in a newer, shorter position and the walk to 15's pad brought you through a couple bends.

Another thing I always enjoy in a DG course are its level of amenities. RCNP had plenty of benches and trash cans. This is always a huge plus for the course's well being. I also very much enjoyed the aesthetic of the bridges that cross a few streams that run the course.

A con that I have read in previous reviews does not add up for me. Elevation at RCNP, while nothing to brag about, is present. hole 3 comes to mind immediately, with its sloping right to left hill which I know could create trouble. A few more holes throughout had slight changes around the basket or at the tee to give some shots that extra need for consideration.

Flora - RCNP is, to me, what Florida should look like. The pines, oaks, and palms throughout are very FL. Around many baskets you will find a sandy bottom, which also gives me that good old FL feel. There are several runoff/streams that add an aesthetic to this place too. As for the fairways, most are clear cut and without much underbrush at all, although this place will CERTAINLY punish your errant shot on many holes, a big PLUS to me.

Another big factor here was the courses ability to make me throw different shots and think about lines very intently. There were several holes that demanded you to pick your line and TRUST it. Every time I was not confident in my shot things went poorly and I was off the fairway. This certainly added to the challenge factor, as it made me want to play smart and focused, while many courses allow you to fall asleep at the wheel.

Cons: The pros far outweigh the cons, but one thing certainly stands out for me and others; pin navigation. This can be a nightmare for a first time visitor, and in my opinion, the tee signs did not reflect where the hole was on many occasions. This created a lot of walkups before throwing. Lose for the infrequent player, but a win for the local and weekly player. Also, depending on the frequency of basket moving, I would imagine some pin locations would be seen only once or twice a year, personally defeating the purpose of having so many, although thinking pragmatically, one could imagine this is a way of testing the hole configurations out, with intentions to remove pins as they become less desirable.

Only other con that comes to mind is that I did not see any bathrooms, although a port-o may have been nearby.
Other Thoughts: This was my first trip to RCNP, after many times saying "we should go". I didn't know what I was missing!

We made it out later in the day and were only able to complete 15 holes, but are headed back there today.

This course was a refreshing change for my general enjoyment of our sport. Now, as a resident of Orlando, I will be at RCNP as much as I can.

Before this gets too long, I would lastly like to say that a course review should sometimes express opinion towards the local club that maintains and runs weeklies at a course. Great job out there Debary Disc Golf Club!

Willy wonka's garden

1    6/22/2014   6/24/2014
Review By: Loomis
Pros: Good shot selections. Beautiful surroundings if you can look past the industrial power line towers. It's impressive.
Cons: Hole 14 has over 12 different pin positions which is silly. It's hard to know where to go on most shots. That goes for a lot of the holes. The space is really better suited for 27 holes or two 18 hole courses. It's big and stretching out 18 is just a mess.
Other Thoughts: Totally worth playing. It may be easy to lose a disc here or to lose sight of the pins but so what. Play it anyway.

Note: the trees here okay for keeps so don't throw into them.

River City's a real gas!

1    12/30/2013   2/4/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 2/25/2014
Pros: Wonderfully designed course in a clean, quiet area where I didn't see much else happening.
• Design: The park is full of hammocks, (dense stands of trees), separated by open meadow. The naturally occurring spaces between the hammocks comprise most of the fairways, but it's the masterful way in which the tees and pins were placed that allows you to appreciate just how much good discing they squeezed out of this parcel. There's plenty of open space to work different lines, but pretty much every hole narrows at one or more points, forcing you to hit certain windows (regardless of the route you took to get there) to get to a nicely tucked or otherwise well-guarded green. Almost the entire course is some variation on this theme, yet the course never felt repetitive or boring - probably because you always have to think about how you're going to get around this or that obstacle to set up your next shot for a good look at the pin.
• Variety: Nice balance of L/R/straight and some more complex shots off the tee. Distances range from short Ace Runs to bombers and everything in between. Distance can definitely help on some holes (especially from the longs) but every hole requires placement to score well. Long and short tees often present reasonably different looks. Combine with a plethora of rotating pin placements (I'm not kidding), and locals have a course that plays a myriad of different ways.
• Equipment: Textured concrete was grippy, even when wet. Nice signage at both sets of tees show hole layout, and distances for multiple pin placements. Yellow Innovas are easy to spot.
• Navigation: Intuitive routing, generous use of next tee signs and easy to spot tee markers making getting around a pleasure - only had to check the map 2-3 times.
• Aesthetics: Lush, green, and quite eye appealing IMO. I like courses that intersperse open areas with wooded sections. Not much nasty underbrush, although there are some places where discs could be tough to find.
• Risk/Reward: Full of holes that appear seemingly innocent are misleadingly tricky. They set up for easy pars and birdies if played well, but can easily cost a stroke if misplayed, particularly if you cut into the woods early. Unlike some open holes where worm-burners can be made up with a longer 2nd shot to set up a par, you may need to back off on your 2nd shot to hit the window to set up your approach and putt for a bogie. Rewards you for playing within your game, and punishes you for taking things for granted - most of the times I got burned were for being too ambitious on tee shots I knew I could pull off …if I hit 'em just right.
Cons:
• No no elevation to speak of, and lacks variety in terms of different fairway types.
• Gas pipe installations are a bit of an eyesore on a course that's otherwise very pleasant to look at.
• Fire ant hills all over the place - watch where you place your bag (and your feet).
• More of an FIY than a con: the abundance of possible pin placements means you'll have to walk numerous fairways to see where you're throwing. That said, River City features an almost embarrassing number of pin placements on some holes. Several tee signs show 5 possibilities, and # 14 lists eleven! (although a local told me only 5 of those 11 actually have collars).
Other Thoughts: Loved playing here - just might be my favorite course in the state. They did a wonderful job laying things out to create a course that's fun, challenging, and makes you think your way through your round in a setting that's visually appealing as it weaves it's way from open fields into the woods.

Makes up for what it lacks in terms of elevation and differing fairway types with cleverly laid-out holes using multiple tees/pin placements… this place is chock full of good spots to nestle a basket in amongst the trees. As much as River City kept me engaged the entire round, I love me some elevation, and think this could've been a 4.5 if the terrain had some real ups and downs.

There's an orange tree near 9's short pin.

Just 11 miles from the camp grounds at Blue Spring State Park. Even if you're not camping, it's worth a visit to see manatees, tarpon, gars and more bathing in the crystal clear, warm, spring waters feeding into the St. Johns River.

Great condition course

5+    1/2/2014   1/2/2014
Review By: dew-e
Pros: Course is well maintained. Fairways are all mowed and clear of normal Florida overgrowth. Pads are in great shape and very grippy, plenty of variety available in various pin placements. Holes can be in very hard positions one day, much easier positions the next week. Nice variety in difficulties between the various pin placements and the club does a good job changing up the basket placements in small batches so you can learn one placement really well if you play the course often.
Cons: No restroom facilities or running water. The only negative about this park and facility. I think many people would rate this course as the best in Central Florida if it had at least one bathroom facility similar to Turkey Lake park
Other Thoughts: Would love to see this course grow to a permanent 22 or 24+ hole setup.

Great Course!

1    12/22/2013   12/25/2013
Review By: Marcwrosejr
Pros: This was the first time I've played here and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is a good flow of the course. I've heard threw the local league players that the signs were recently updated and I gotta say they pretty sharp.

The course is pretty well maintained with short, but technical fairways. Good for all levels of players. I love the scenery, it reminds me of Georgia or South Carolina minus the mountains.

A lot of great people to socialize with about the game.
Cons: They could use restrooms and water fountains. I could see someone posting up a hot dog stand on the weekends and making some $$.
Other Thoughts: This is in the top 2 of Central Florida in my opinion. Turkey Lake t2 is my other fav. I live 15 mins away from Barnett Park and that's a nice course too, but I will make it a point to play more out here!

Solid course worthy or repeat play

5+    12/1/2013   12/1/2013
Review By: blueblur
Pros: Variety is the biggest Pro for this course. It has long pads and short pads on every hole. It has lots of pin positions on every hole (usually 3+ and up to 11 on hole 14). The course also has a variety of hole types. Some right to left, some left to right, some open, some wooded, some long and some short.
Good baskets, good teepads and great signs recently installed.
Cons: No facilities or running water. No elevation or water hazards but this isn't something that can be designed. However, there are a couple of low lying areas with high grass marked as OB with string lines and flags which is a great substitute for water.