Course Extinct
Hole 5 Short - 151'

Is this a course?

1    1/16/2010   1/17/2010
This review was updated on 3/26/2010
Pros: 1) A shorter course set in a neighborhood park is more conducive to beginner disc golf than any other course in the immediate metro area.

2) Tees are marked with painted concrete blocks.

3) The map at the first hole is nice, but it almost needs to be replicated throughout the course to remember which basket you are supposed to shoot at. It shows the 3 baskets and the location of the 9 different short tees, but it does not show the long tees, and if you do not have a good memory remembering which tee shoots at which basket might be tough.

3) There is some real variety on this course if you make it 18 holes playing the shorts first then the longs. The back 9 will be rough because of the water being way more in play.

4) The two discatcher baskets that were there are in decent condition and installed properly unlike many baskets I have seen in my disc golfing experience.

5) This course could be real fun for beginners to experts. It would need to be empty and nobody else should be in the park to truly enjoy the long tees. Advanced and pro players have a true duece or die course here on the front 9, but the back 9 might still challenge the best of the players.

6) Nice variety on the property. Elevation both up and down, nice shot shaping required, water in play on the longer tees. For a course just a couple acres it does a great job.

7) Course is apparently lit at night. This would offer a whole new perspective to night disc golf. It woul dbe very different than playing during the day but also very different to playing at night with glow discs.
Cons: UPDATED: Stolen basket on Hole #1 has been replaced.

1) No tee signs available except for the map at Hole #1. The painted blocks in the ground are more helpful than nothing, but the paint is peeling making it pretty difficult to read some of the distances.

2) Most of the challenge on this course comes from throwing around foul poles, over fences, avoiding walkers, and other manmade issues. This is a real negative in my opinion because it will leave a bad taste in many peoples mouths, but beginners might also dislike the fact they are throwing through sports fields around poles over fences etc etc etc. It does not truly represent the game of disc golf, this course is more like throwing discs around objects. I much prefer the Appalachian beauty (EDIT: I FOUND OUT THIS WAS DAVE242's DESIGN AFTER I wrote this I swear). I wasn't mocking him just using a reference that I know he would understand) of using natural obstacles like trees, shrubs, soil berms etc etc etc. This is the biggest flaw of this course in my opinion.

3) Safety is a real issue here because of the crossing baseball field, tennis courts, walking path, and in general other park users. Many of he fairways cross other fairways also and if there happended to be 3 groups here at the same time, good luck not hurting someone or throwing into other peoples paths cause it coul dbe a long round.

4) Course may not always be playable because of the other activities. I highly recommend that if anyone is in the park you do not play disc golf.
Other Thoughts: This is not a true disc golf course. It is 3 baskets in a park with randomly laid out tees, throwing over too many manmade obstacles. Sure you can play the whole course and call it 18 holes, but it just cannot be very enjoyable in my opinion. I have only NOT played Sugaw and Veterans Park, and I surely hope those courses are not like this because it is not a good representation of disc golf. Sure it is well designed for a tiny tny park with no room, but it just feels cheap to me. I know many of the others inside the bypass loop are tough and challenging to players of all ability but beginners need good courses too. This is a good design for the property sure, and without the manmade obstacles there would be nothing here except a practice basket, so it is a positive that it is here, I just do not think it represents the sport well. But it does give access to people who may not have access or ability to play the other metro courses.

I am sure the locals will hate me for my 1.5 (upgraded to 2) rating, it just simply is more irritating than it is fun, but there are still some positives, just too many negatives IMO.

UPDATE: I had to update my review and after looking back at it, I realized I was pretty harsh. Sure I was irritated about the missing basket, and that I did not truly understand the layout. I didnt know about tees across the water. I still feel it is well designed for the property but it simply cannot be used all of the time from other activities so it is still irritating to me. If noone was there and I was able to throw from all tees to all baskets I hae to think my feeling would be better than the 1.5 I gave it. I am however disappointed still in that it is not available all the time, but to call it not a disc golf course 3 times in a review may have been a little harsh. There are plusses and negative here, and the only thing that will bring me back is if it is a crappy day and I know noone will be there so I can play all the holes. I just hate having people around not knowing what I am doing. I want to be in and out quiickly from this course next time I play it.

putting practice

1    11/28/2008   11/28/2008
Review By: bgill
Pros: 3 baskets are there.They have maps in 2 places.Safe neighborhood.Unique to any "public course" I have ever seen.
Cons: Baskets are useful for putting and not much else.You can drive from some of the tees but safety is a vital concern.I could see someone getting hurt here.There is more space in front, why not use it?
Other Thoughts: Would be a great place to practice putting if I didn't have a basket.Object golf with minis and you could play the whole area.HEY, it would be a great place for a mini course.Play Elon, Cam was a near waste of time.

6/4/2005   7/14/2008
Review By: caiman
Pros: A creative design, given what they have to work with (three baskets).
Cons: The layout is impossible to follow without a map, and the neighborhood is technically private (but not really - visitors are welcome), so the general atmopshere isn't the most inviting for visitors. Quality disc golf is abundant in Charlotte, so it's hard to justify giving this course priority over the others in the area. Using the same 3 targets for the entire round, you don't get the feeling that you're playing a "real" disc golf course.
Other Thoughts: Yes, there are lights, but the course isn't specifically lit for disc golf; the lights are just there anyway as part of the neighborhood. Playing at night is rather difficult, especially if you're not familiar with the layout. Play the course at least once during the day and get familiar with the layout before trying it at night.

CAM YARDS!!!!

5+    8/6/2007   8/6/2007
This review was updated on 4/18/2009
Pros: - Lighted
- Lots of unique holes with unique throws required.
- Interesting obstacles and elevation variations that force those unique throws.
- Innovative layout making use of a very interesting albeit small piece of land
- 2 maps on course - but only of the short hole locations. The really good holes can be found on the online map.
Cons: - Confusing for first timers (bring a map!)
- Crossing fairways
- Natural tee pads
Other Thoughts: There needs to be more neigborhood courses like this. It introduces the game to tons of new players that would otherwise never discover the fun of disc golf.

CAM YARDS!!!!

5/23/2007   5/23/2007
Review By: stack
Pros: -Night Golf
-Over the H20 shots (only ones in Charlotte)
-Well maintained
-Hilly/varied terrain
Cons: -Dirt tee pads
-Kids are sometimes on the softball/football field that this course uses as some fairways but not a major issue.
Other Thoughts: -Have played quite a few courses all over now and this one still is among my top favorites (and not just because I live 2 houses away!)
-A MUST PLAY for anyone swinging through Charlotte (along w/ Renny & some others of course!)