Course Extinct
Pensacola, FL
Blue Angel Park - Oaks DGC - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #12 (Taken 7/2010)
Taking a break at the rest area between #11 and #12

Challenging to Rookies

1    7/21/2011   7/21/2011
Review By: EagleZT
Pros: Played this course today. Really nice. Much like its little brother across the street, the course does maintain a lot of the local character of the course. There are a good mix of hyzer and annie shots which tests my LHFH arm. The course is def more open than palmetto, but make sure you know how to drive your lines through trees. I have been really using the courses here to get to know my mids and stretch out my putters. There are picnic tables and bag hangers at almost every hole which is nice and the water coolers on the course was a nice bit. They are filled everyday and are nice to have. I played in about 95 deg heat and didnt really feel it since the course is covered nicely by the oaks around. The course is maintained pretty well. Low on the litter. What was great was right around the 19th hole the marina store with cold drinks and snacks was about 50 yards away with a nice path through the woods to it.

the 19, 21-22 holes were really the only bomber holes for me.
Cons: The big problem I had with this course was the lack of signage when transitioning in the later holes. The next tee signs seemed to disappear and the numbers atop the basket did not match the hole you were on. It is more of a nuisance to me really when you are throwing on hole 17 to a basket that has the number 11 on the top. Doesnt take away from the challenge of the course, but it would be nice for some consistency. Also a lack of a course map really irritated me. I found myself backtracking a lot to find the path to the next tee since they weren't at all transition points. It was a minor irritant, but when you have a 24 hole course it would help especially when you are having to navigate through the woods
Other Thoughts: Bring your mids and your putters. Dont worry about bringing a driver unless you cant squeak out a mid past 300. Its a great course in a great area. You pay to play at the gate along with your entrance fee ($3.50) for just myself. The people that manage the site are friendly and are ready to answer any questions you have. This course would be a great tune up for pros and intermediates, but it is challenging for rookies. I walked away feeling that my game improved after working on my mids and putters on this course. Will visit again when I am down here for the summer.

excellent

1    3/19/2010   3/21/2010
Review By: magictenor1
Pros: 24 holes with another 21 next door for 45 total holes on site. Nice variety of left and right turning shots. 2 sets of tees for most holes. concrete tees. drinking water placed strategically around the course. Port-a-potties on site. fairly easy to follow.
Cons: tee pads are just a little too short. Lack of variety of terrain (not the designers fault but just a condition of the land they had to work with). there is one hole that throws across or down a sort of long furrow in the ground creating elevation and one shot over a small pond (it was fairly dry when I was there ) No pro shop or place to buy discs.
Other Thoughts: This is a great disc golf destination with 45 different holes in one place. this is the longer and more difficult of the 2 courses and not as beginner friendly as the Palmetto course. The course appeared to be totally open to the public and we did not call ahead.

The best right in my backyard

5+    11/28/2008   11/30/2008
Review By: gsdtimmay
Pros: This course has a little bit of everything: chances to uncork a long drive, a few very narrow(sometimes frustrating) accuracy shots, amateur and pro tee placements, good well maintained baskets, and a chance to throw every shot in the bag. Portable toilets are available as well as a shower on the course if you happen to get your discs or yourself dirty.
Cons: On the 17th, there are pipes that stick out of the ground where some crew was attempting to dig for oil or something, and there are stakes and caution tape wrapped around them protruding from the ground. This makes it difficult to keep the tee shot low as the hazard is only 10-15 feet in front of the pad.
Other Thoughts: I've played this course at least 50 times, it ALWAYS offers me a good challenge. Sometimes i can find 4 or 5 birdies on the front, sometimes the same on the back, but there are plenty of opportunities to find trouble and mess up a perfectly good round. I've only played for 6 months, i'm fairly decent i suppose for an amateur and tend to shoot anywhere from 2 under to 5 over. From the pro tees the course is SIGNIFICANTLY tougher. All in all a very well maintained, good looking, variety filled 18