Matthews, NC
Squirrel Lake Park Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #7 (Taken 2/2009)
#7 Tee - Basket is downhill to the right

Drier than it sounds

1    7/15/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: A rough around the edges type of 12-holer, this course is predominately wooded. It flows pretty well with some informative signs and paths and has really nice, level concrete tees. Tee signs available at every hole and are aesthetically more pleasing than your typical, 'half-assed drawing of the fairway, taped to a pole'-type of sign.

Playability: Left-to-Right variety is very well done as is the distance so no two holes feel repetitive. A few holes, #1 specifically, require thought about disc placement rather your typical, "spray and pray," holes. Benches and seats are available on most of the holes. Tough but fair is very apt here.

Elevation: Slightly better than average.
Cons: Roughly half of the fairways need some foot traffic and defining done a bit, because occasionally you kind of scratch your head a little on the tee wondering where exactly the fairway is. No water holes, which is kind of a let down since it's Squirrel Lake and all. Would really appreciate a picture of the hole shape on the tee signs as it is not visually apparent right now from the tee.

Not necessarily a con, but I couldn't help but chuckle since every tee sign, which consists of engraved wooden pieces, have one piece that reads, "Squirrel Lake" on them, as if we would forget what course/park we were at or something.
Other Thoughts: Favorite Hole: #6. I'm a sucker for holes that play into/out of woods and this one delivers, tee off in the open and try to hit a gap to the left into the woods with a hyzer if you're RHBH.

Feels Like: Southern Community except with better flair/little things like tees, etc. This is probably what Wellspring in Burlington looked like when it first opened up.

Squirrel Lake!

1    6/22/2010   6/22/2010
Review By: Uke831
Pros: Fun course, good for all level players. Regardless of your ending score you will have had a good time playing this course. Most holes are challenging but still able to be par. Lots
Cons: Lots of trees to hit. If you do end up hitting a tree, good luck finding your disc in the woods. Personally, I have lost a disc or two at Squirrel Lake. Fairways are too tight.

Thumbs down. But there's great potential here.

1    1/19/2010   2/3/2010
Review By: ReedyCreekProduct
Pros: Set in the woods (and near neighborhoods). I imagine it's very shaded in summer. And there's definitely some challenge here.
Cons: I don't think there are enough well-defined fairways. I found there to be too many holes where I was just throwing into a mishmash of trees. I had to do way too many "Hammer" throws instead of the backhand and side-armed throws that I associate with disc golf.

Also, even though there were a lot of trees, some of the fairways were laid out in a way that a player could easily be hit by another player at a different hole. Keep in mind that I played it in Winter with no leaves.

Speaking of leaves, I cannot imagine how challenging this course would have been with them. And I mean "challenging" in a negative way.
Other Thoughts: Great potential here. I love playing in the shade. And I like to see courses within walking distance of housing.

Strategically eliminate a few trees to create a few more well-defined fairways.

Do something to counter the potential for players to get hit by discs from other fairways. Maybe convert it to a 9-hole course or make a couple of the holes shorter for better spacing.

Doesn't get the acclaim it should!

1    1/16/2010   1/18/2010
Pros: 1) Course is set entirely in the woods. I prefer this type of course because you really have to execute shots. I do not like holes where the only challenge is pure distance. I like to pick a disc to hit a specific line and try hard to execute what I have thought out. That is why this sport is so addicting to me. I am an analytical fiend and that contributes to my addiction.

2) Elevation is used dramatically on multiple holes. This elevation along with the wooded property create a constant challenge. You not only have to throw through the woods but you also have to evaluate what the elevation chaneg is going to do to your shot selection. An excellent combination of features!!!

3) Concrete tees are needed and done very well on this course. The elevation changes require confidence in footing on your drive and since that is the most important shot on each hole the concrete is essential.

4) The leaf cover on the ground can often times be considered a negative, but in this instance they actually keep the compacted soil underneath from being slick and muddy. It had rained the day I played and a lot the few days before too and the holes were not dangerously slick in many spots. Sure there are always going to be sections where the slope is extreme, but that would be slick no matter what. The leaves simply help keep the soil from being muddy.

5) Risk/reward of trying to thread the needle from tee to green is huge. You know you could layup a nice straight midrange shot then toss up a simple approach and make your putt but you know you want to try and duce the hole so you go for the drive that gets through all the trees, around all the corners, and park it under the basket. I only had 2 dueces on this course and I had 5 4's. Half of the 4's were on holes that certainly required multiple shots where you couldn't thread a disc all the way to the basket. The other half were on holes where I got a bad ricochet off a tree with my wide rimmed drivers. I would be interested to see how I would shoot if I only took a stable midrange out there and a putter.

6) Hole distances are varied. Although there aren't really any short ace runs, there is a good variety between 1 and 2 shot holes. There are legitimate par 4's which I like to have because it places an emphasis on the first shot getting to a spot to allow for a straight or easier approach.

7) I had the best birdie I have ever had on this course. Hole #11 where I threaded the needle all the way to the bottom of the hill and then I nailed a good putt from about 35' for the duece. What a tough hole. This is a positive to me because I executed exactly what I wanted and I was rewarded with a good birdie. These opportunities are everywhere on this course.

8) Next tee signs are visible on most if not all holes. This is a benefit to a wooded course like this.

9) A variety of discs are needed to play this course well. You will need to shape shots both directions especially if you get off the fairway. You will use your mid ranges and drivers, but you might also throw in some non conventional thoughts like throwing an overstable driver for an approach because you need to thread a needle and get more cut out of the disc.

11) There is a kiosk with info at the first hole. Plenty of shelter near the parking lot in case of rain, a portopotty in the parking lot. It is a cool park with a playground and a pond where I saw someone fishing too. Spend all day here with the family and experience the whole park!

12) Discatchers in this park are key because of the dense woods. The yellow band makes them very visible and helps in figuring out your shot.

13) Logs lining walking paths between holes. I have always like this idea, but never given credit to other courses that have these. I guess I didnt think much of it but it certain helps with navigation, and it helps clean up fallen limbs from fairways.

14) Course is actually a fairly quick play despite how denselt wooded it is. It is a small property and the holes flow very well so it helps to contribute to the feel of the course.

15) Course is removed from all other activities. The only place where a disc might be troublesome is on Hole #6 where you throw up the lawn (along the entrance road), but the desired shot cut back into the woods. However an accidentally flipped drive could take out a windshield.

16) Underbrush is not a problem on this course. I am surprised that the wooded area has not had an influx of undesirable growth. It may be naturally kept out becuase of the dense woods shading out those plants or it may be from labor of removing it. It is hard to tell but you won't encounter many areas that aren't in good shape.
Cons: 1) This course is not beginner friendly. Charlotte has some awesome courses but almost none of them are friendly to the beginner player. I think they need to start investing in some courses on school grounds or in more open parks to allow for beginners to come out and learn the sport before throwing them into the gauntlet that is all other Charlotte courses. Beginners need courses too it is what helps promote the game to more people.

2) There are a handful of trippers on this course. Small stumps and roots that will definitely catch you off guard. These things could be easily handles with a special machine that grinds the stump down and will just leave the ground up stumps and soil in a pile. This can be packed right in place and remove many of the safety hazards that go along with the trippers.

3) Wet slick clay is visible in a few spots. For the most part the leaves doa good job but there are some spots where slipping may ocurr.

4) I do not mind that the entire course is in the tight dense woods, but I would like to see an ace run available, and/or perhaps a hole or two where it is more forgiving and a wider fairway. This would bring the difficulty down, but increase the diversity a little. It is a negative but it is a little nit picky because I would play here every day if I lived nearby.

5) Signs do not have a hole layout. I would prefer to see a general fairway width and line with key trees in the fairways marked for distance. It is very tough to decipher how fr out some trees are when ll you see are trees. This would help immensely to the beginner and even the regular who is trying to figure out new lines or shot shapes.

6) The L shaped concrete pad was a bad idea. Sure they saved a few dollars because they used 25% less concrete to make this a shared pad, but it will create issues for people from time to time. I hate to see a couple dollar savings as a reason to create possible logjams.

7) Garbage cans are not plentiful enough. The course seemed fairly clean but I would like to see a few spread throughout the course just to help motivate people to throw things away properly.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely loved this course. It is what I would call this Charlotte Junior. It isnt as difficult as Nevin, Hornets Nest, Renaissance, Brackett's Bluff, or Kilborne, but it has a fair aount of challenge. I was surpsied I was able to shoot a 39 (+3) after finishing the round. It took some good shot execution and it took an awesome birdie on 11 to do so. I had a wonderful time here, and was so happy I had time to get to this course despite the flat tire I had coming into town. I would have missed out on a gem. It may not be considered the ultimate course because Charlotte is already so packed with awesome courses, but I consider it to be just as fun and I would be just as likely to return to Squirrel Lake as any of the other courses. It makes you feel good when you can play well here and it might help you to get over the bad scores you might suffer at many of the other local courses.

P.S. If you are into geo-cacheing as another hobby my wife and I started our first geo-cache in this park. I think she called is Bite the bullet. If you have questions just send me a note and I can help you out.

Nature Trail Disc Golf

2-4    10/30/2009   11/2/2009
Review By: bettsjc
Pros: A true test of accuracy, Squirrel Lake Park DGC is a very tight course. This course is a walk-in-the-park, with mild elevation changes and heavily wooded.

The course is equipped with concrete tees. Tee signs at every tee shows par and distance. Baskets in excellent condition, bright targets which are really necessary. Makeshift signs point to next tee.

All holes are in the woods, except for #6, which drives over a semi-open area, then turns left back into the woods before reaching the basket. Course cannot be played well without accurate drives.

Holes have a variation in distance, but no "air it out" holes.
Cons: There are some cons to the course(not all are cons to me, but I'm sure they are to some).

-There is one trash can within the course located at the #4 and #6 tee pad, which is an "L" shaped pad used for both holes.
-Dense trees require as much luck as it does skill.
-A few holes lack a "fairway" or "landing zones". If unable to make it to the vacinity of the basket on these holes you will be shooting an out shot.
-Not at all a technical course, requiring few types of shots to score a decent round, but have your thumber or tomahawk ready...you will be using it
-12 holes leave me with an incomplete feeling that I don't get with an 18 holer...or a 9 holer for that matter. (Rumors of Squrrel Lake expanding to 18 holes, but this is not in the near future)
-Park lacks proper restrooms, Port-O-John on site.
-No practice basket to warm up on putts before a round, no open area to throw some warm up drives, or get some practice in with a new disc
-Tee signs do not depict a map of the hole and baskets are tough to see from tees, which is extremely troublesome if you are playing the course for the first time.
Other Thoughts: Definately not the best course in the Charlotte area, but offers a round unlike any others around. Located a few minutes off of I-485 in Matthews, Squirrel Lake is easily accessable from all areas. Little foot traffic, allows a faster moving pair to play 12 in under 45 minutes. I'm not sure if its worth driving from a distance to play, but sufficient if you are a local.

tight but fair

5+    10/20/2009   10/20/2009
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: great challenging 12 hole course. one of the tougher courses in the charlotte area. holes#3,#4,#9, are TIGHT. if you play here alot your accuracy will improve. because you need accuracy to score well here.4 holes are par 4, which is cool for a `12 hole course. only takes 30- 40 minutes to play around,with little to no traffic
Cons: some tee pads are small, but not horrible, they need a couple trash cans on some of the holes, but for the most part it is pretty clean. its only 12 holes....if it were a 18 hole course you would hear alot more about it.
Other Thoughts: this place will challenge anyone, i play here on my way home from work. par is a good score here.

Great Course

5+    9/11/2009   9/11/2009
Review By: BunkWilly74
This review was updated on 12/8/2009
Pros: Great terrain and scenery, wooded canopy makes this enjoyable on hot summer days. This course defiantly has a variety of shots. My favorite hole is hole 12 you can really let the disc fly. Another plus about this park is that nice it's not as busy as the rest of the charlotte courses. Unlike Reedy you don't have people on top of you. This course will challenge you wont be disappointed unless you hit some trees. Like I always say you will get some tree love at the lake. If anything this course will help you be more accurate due the amount of trees.
Cons: I wish that this one was 18 hole. But the city of Matthews has shot that idea down.

Excellent Course

2-4    9/9/2009   9/10/2009
Review By: Burge
Pros: Great layout, challenging terrain, not crowded, fun little course.
Cons: No H2O facilities, somewhat confusing at first, could do with map signs and clearer next tee signs.
Other Thoughts: I like this little course a lot. It's a good place to work on your fundamentals, as the fairways are thin and you'll need to use a variety of shots to keep yourself in play. It's not very long, so if you are distance-challenged like I am, you'll have a good chance at beating some of your higher-ranked friends. I especially like the downed trees with big root balls that act as fairway bunkers. It's also a good place to get some exercise, what with all the up and down. And it's close to my house, so I have found my new home course.

A More Technical Version Of Reedy Creek!

1    7/17/2009   7/22/2009
This review was updated on 11/3/2009
Pros: Great terrain for a course. Lots of elevation to play up and down. Great natural beauty. Accuracy is key to playing this course. If you get off the fairways, you can get into some trouble. Luckily, the underbrush is not so thick so losing discs doesn't seem likely. There are simple signs which give the par and distance. A map type sign would be helpful because of the amount of trees. The pads are a little small for my liking. Easily my favorite hole was # 9. It's a downhill S curve and like almost every hole on this course could be birdied with a great throw or just as easily, you could end up with a bogie or double-bogie if you're not accurate with your drive. But really, that describes most holes on this course.
Cons: This is not a beginner course. It would frustrate the new player and certainly can (and did) frustrate someone who been playing for 31 years. It's tight as can be. At this time, the park only has a sani-can. It's a very one-dimensional type (wooded technical) course now. I'm kind of nervous about # 6 throwing down the park road into oncoming traffic. Be careful here.
Other Thoughts: Like Reedy Creek, it's just a real pretty walk in the park. Maybe over time, it'll get cleared out a bit and won't be so tight. As others have mentioned, the L shaped teepad for #''s 4 and 6 is pretty clever and different. Hopefully, they'll find a place for six more holes in the future.

A- = Almost as good as a 12-holer can be

5+    7/16/2008   4/23/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- C
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.