Albany, OR
Bryant Park Share
Uploaded By: frasnow Hole #18 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #18 Approach (Right Position)

< Prev 1 2 3
 Needs help

1    5/26/2014   6/3/2014
Review By: Fro8888
Pros: -Outside of the wooded mess, the course is fairly nice.
-Nice big park
Cons: -There is nothing on the tee that shows you where the basket is in relation to you. There is just a laminated sign telling you what hole you are on.
-I only saw 1 sign that told me where the next tee was, and even at that, it was still difficult to find.
-Less than half of the tees actually have something marking them for what number you are on.
-No directions as to where you tee off almost the whole time. You get done with one basket, you're in a forest, then you walk around aimlessly for 15 minutes and then you randomly find it down one of the many random trails.
Other Thoughts: I have recently picked up playing disc golf. I absolutely hated this course. I had to keep pulling out my phone to figure out where the baskets and tees were. I will not be coming back to this ever unless they did some serious improving.

*What they need to do is put down where the basket is on the tee.
*Then mark where the next tee spot is.

A course with potential

5+    7/20/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: beaverboy56
Pros: -Concrete pads on some holes
-Large Variety of holes
-Challenging
Cons: -Not beginner friendly
-Easy to get lost looking for the next hole, despite the orange marker on the basket pointing the way
-Trash in the wooded areas
-Plays right through heavily occupied areas of the park
-Occasional homeless population in the wooded area
-Last time we went there were a bunch of teenagers smoking pot in the bushes, being extremely annoying
-Carpet pads on the majority of the holes
Other Thoughts: This course is very much a hit or miss, you can expect to hit a tree on every wooded hole. At times it can be alot of fun, but then back in the woods you can easily take a 8-12 on a hole and ruin your round.

Not a good course to compete with your buddies as there is usually a lot of separation in scores and is not too competitive or exciting by the end.

Penguins doing Pilates

2-4    8/23/2012   10/23/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 101

This is one of those courses that upon completing a round, I wasn't going to leave without immediately playing another. Long challenging technical holes with the occasional ace run or big open bomber keep things interesting through every hole. You must hit your lines and stay in the fairway to score well, the rough is thick, it will cost you strokes if you get off the fairway, recovery options are slim.

The Oregon coast was a very enjoyable road trip, every course along the way was unique and a pleasant surprise this is one of the courses that stood out as a favorite and should not be missed if you're passing by on the 5, paired with Adair you've got a wonderful day of golf.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene.
~The main thing I ask myself is "Does this course make me want to come back?" if the answer is yes, it makes the list.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

Hometown Homer

5+    8/22/2012   8/24/2012
Review By: ian1
Pros: - Huge variety of shots, long and short (okay not a lot of short), par 4's that require accurate lay-ups, par 4's that require big D, left and right, open and wooded.
- Never really too crowded.
- New carpet tee pads.
- Alternate pins that significantly change the way in which the hole is played.
- Holes that are tough but fair, with the exception of hole 7 in the long (and maybe hole 6 in the right) this course requires skill and not just dumb luck, of course a few holes that require luck are fun IMO.
- Not a ton of elevation, but a little bit to add some fun.
- hole 3 in the right, and hole 15 through the tunnel really stand out to me as great holes.
Cons: - Navigation can be tricky, the tape on the basket to lead to the next tee can be misleading, I haven't seen a good map, find a guide or hit me up if you want.
- Carpet pads can be muddy and slick when wet, from the sound of it there may be some more concrete pads to come but because of environmental regulations some will always be carpet.
- Flooding closes the course for half the year.
- People watch softball on hole 2 sometimes. Hole 4, 5, 17 and 18 can have people on them that don't realize it is a course, educate don't hate.
- Not a ton of elevation.
- Trash, some could be from the homeless but I think discers could do a better job.
- Not a ton of amenities, not a great place for grandma or little kids.
- Rough can be a bit rough but I always seem to find my discs here, best idea is to just stay in the fairway ;)
Other Thoughts: This is my home town course. I love it and wanted to give it a 4.5 but I figured that since I am biased I better check myself a bit, but honestly I prefer this course over Milo McIver. I listed elevation as a pro and a con, I like to chuck off of hills like any other discer but appreciate the flat course after a day of working on my feet. I must admit I was half tempted to give this course 0.5 stars just to keep it all to myself but alas disc is a game with a selfless culture and it wouldn't feel right anyway. I dread the day this place become Willamette Park and has 8 person groups oblivious to the fact they are holding up 4 groups behind them. Anyway I love this place and greatly appreciate the work everyone puts in out here. I should probably help out more... all I do is pick up trash occasionally.

1    8/6/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: MCW5379
Pros: Rating this course on potential. There were open and wooded holes. Don,t have a lot of good to say based on my partial round.
Cons: SIGNAGE PLEASE!!!!!
Why is there not any signs to direct you around? Makes for a frustrating first time out. No tee boxes with some sort of map to tell you if the pin is left, right, or middle. 500' holes thru the woods seems a little long to me. Maybe I'm not good enough to play this course. Just found it really frustrating to get around! So we played 1-8 and then jumped to 18 and left. Orange tape on the basket is all you have to direct you to the next hole. And without some sort of map you are screwed. Hole 2 seems to be 500' from basket 1 and without tee box signs you can easily walk around before finding it. Seemed like to much work to figure things out when we just wanted to throw and have some fun.
Other Thoughts: Could be a pain in the a$$ to play on weekends also as the holes run right by/near the picnic and playground areas to start with.

Great combo

1    7/22/2012   7/26/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros:
The bulletin board next to hole 1 (tucked in the bushes) helpfully explained that either all the evens or all the odds would be in their long positions. This made navigating with the map much easier, and I don't know why more courses aren't set up this way. Most of the holes have two positions.

The course begins with some fairly open holes that still have good design considering the holes they have to work with. Hole 2 is one of the best of these, with the pin guarded by a jail of trees. Jails like this can be annoying if it makes the hole random, but there were wider openings on different sides, so if you have a bad look at your putt, it's the result of a bad approach.

The course then alternates between open and wooded holes (hole 3 has a nice 265-foot uphill shot to a pin attached to the foundation of some old building that is long gone) before transitioning to completely wooded for holes 6-15. The wooded holes are very well designed and an excellent counterpoint to the open holes. Accuracy is a paramount, and if you insist on trying to get a 3 on some of the longer holes, you might well end up with a 7. Others are fairly short but require you to hit the right line.

The course ends with two pretty long holes. Hole 18 was in its 815-foot position.
Cons: The tees in the open are concrete, but the ones in the woods are carpet. A couple of them looked like the sort of carpet that used to be in someone's basement. They were fine for me, but I can imagine they're bad when it's wet.

The wooded pins are often hidden from the tee pad, so you'll spend some time walking the fairway to figure out what line you'll want to hit. There is some thorny, scratchy stuff in the wooded part, but not enough to make it too frustrating (I'm more forgiving of this feature in the woods than on open courses…maintaining wooded courses is tough).

Even with the map we couldn't tell exactly where the tee for hole 5 is. I think it's just on the concrete turnout next to the road.

I don't remember there being any tee signs, but if you have the map you'll get around okay.
Other Thoughts: The course plays along a river for some of the holes, although it would take a pretty bad shot to end up there.

I don't normally love really long holes, but I didn't mind the open holes here, and the 815-foot hole was even kind of fun. The wooded holes are a blast, and I say that even though they destroyed my score.Winning a tournament here would require a combination of big distance and careful accuracy, depending on the hole.

Fun course. I'd gladly return.

Never will return

1    7/14/2012   7/19/2012
Review By: joy4all
Pros: None
Cons: -bad tee pads
-poorest signage possible
-course plays in the highest traffic areas of park. It's down right dangerous.
-parks, parties picnics all taking place in the fairways on 2,4,5, and on the tail end hole.
-baskets seeing heavy wear
-many stringers, chains cables blocking fairways, especially 6
Other Thoughts: take all the baskets, pick them up and find a new location. You cant keep trying to put a disc park in a heavy traffic park such as this. Its bad for the sport to injure people. I commend the effort but it's a waste of time.

The Darkhorse

5+    8/31/2011   9/1/2011
Review By: mthill
Pros: -Raw potential. This course has the potential to be a 4.5+ star course, just needs a little bit of tidiness. (i.e course signs, garbage cans etc.)
-Rewards the superior upshot, rather than drive
-Extremely technical woodshots that will make you a better player in a quick fashion
-Plays through classic Oregon forestry and along the Willamette River
Cons: -It is a popular city park, so be aware of people having BBQ's etc.(The picnic/playground is only in sight for about 5 holes so it's not that big of an issue)
-Lack of directional signs. A guide is heavily recommended for first time play (Chances are a local will be playing and will be glad to help you out)
-Carpet t pads can be slippery at times.
-Some roughs in the woods are treacherous. If you are throwing your favorite disc, make sure to keep an extra eye out, or use a spotter if possible.
Other Thoughts: I like to call Bryant Park the Darkhorse of the Willamette Valley courses. What it lacks in aesthetic features, it makes up for in challenging play. This is one of the hardest courses around (in a good way) and will make you play better at your local course guaranteed. As mentioned above, this course has a lot of potential to be truly great. Props to the Disc Golf Club of Albany for putting up new tee signs, which makes navigation a bit easier. If course signs and garbage cans were placed, and varied overgrown shrub grooming were set forth, we'd all be looking at a wonderful course. Not quite a traveling course yet, but if you're in the area and are up for a true test of your skills, check out Bryant.

Calm yourself newbie

5+    8/29/2011   8/29/2011
Review By: steezejenkins
Pros: -challenging wood shots
-friendly help for course navigation
-one of the harder courses in the area
-limited ace runs
-will make you a more rounded player
Cons: -t pads need some love
-they open the park to camping some days and neglect the course in doing so.
-very lacking in signage.
-they cut some tree's for the classic that should NOT have been removed.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoy this course. It can be retarded hard if your having an off day. It's easy to loose disc's but is that what makes us better player's? The park floods over the winter and I do believe that's why the directional signage is lacking. If your up for a challenge and are in the area this course is bitchin. Thanks to the gentlemen that clean the the course. And cheers to all of you that call numbers on found disc's

Challenging

5+    5/16/2012   11/14/2010
Review By: prettyboyfloyd
This review was updated on 5/20/2013
Pros: -Quite challenging, with a good mix of huge open holes with some unique forested holes and elevation changes.
-Longest course in the area (now 8 par 4s ( as of May/13)).
-Forrest holes more clear, with winter flooding clearing many logs from wooded fairways
-Every hole has multiple pin placements
-Easily the most challenging course in the Corvallis/Albany area
-No real 'civilian' conflicts on the course itself
-Never truly crowded with golfers as compared to Willamette and Adair parks nearby
Cons: -Course lacking in good signage
-Hard to navigate the first time w/o a map
-Carpet tee pads in forested holes (awful if it's wet)
-Park closes in winter due to flooding (park is located on Willamette River).
-Long positions on holes 7 & 12 could be considered unfair to some
Other Thoughts: After playing in my first tournament here (Aug. 2011), the course has been cleaned up considerably. The huge flooding of the winter of 2011/12 has cleared much of the wooded debris in the forested holes into corner piles, making play a bit easier.

After that, they really do need signage around the course. I've heard the carpeted teepads in the woods are some environmental issue with rubber/concrete(?), so I don't see that changing soon.

To score well at this course, you really need distance and accuracy. The wooded sections of Adair (holes 6 - 10) are a bit tighter, but when you're doing it over a longer hole, it can be very frustrating. This course is definitely not for newbies.

That being said, it's slowly becoming my favorite course in the Albany/Corvallis area. I have started playing the holes 9 - 8 instead of 1 - 18. It breaks down to 7 holes in the woods, 8 mostly open holes, then the last three in the woods, with hole 6 and 7 being the hardest on the course. It breaks the course up nicely. Park at the southernmost lot, near the 18th tee, cross the street, and follow the path in the woods to hole 9.

< Prev 1 2 3