Brevard, NC
Brevard College DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #15 (Taken 2/2009)
4 / 370ft.   4 / --   3 / 370ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Brevard is hard

1    6/25/2012   7/3/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 8/22/2013
Pros: Brevard is a disc golf course around college buildings. It is very scenic too and I like the variety here (except the wetlands).
-I like the baskets because they are different than you will usually see. They are in great shape and although they are not double chain baskets, it's easy to get your putter into them.
-My favorite hole was number 16! It's downhill and you have to go over the field where the fairway is. There is a small dropoff behind the basket. Although most holes here are over 350" feet long, 7 are less than that with #3 being the only fun ace run on the course and it's downhill. Yet #3 is punishing, you have to avoid the building on the right and trees to the left. Whatever you do, do NOT go too far because water is ahead but it should be easy to avoid.
-Another great thing is that here at Brevard, recreational players can call some of the longer par 3's (1,5,7,8,10,11,13,15 and 17 par 4's. Hole 9 is a par 5 for recreational players. Hole 12 is a par 4 if you are a recreational player or not, it's super downhill and only 500 feet long.
-Although this course doesn't have tons of elevation, holes 12 and 15 have TONS of it. 12 is nicely downhill and 15 is steep uphill, It's a 370 foot par 3 but plays 525.
-College girls are pretty. You might see some girls and if ya do, you can try to impress them.
Cons: -Weeds and other crap is growing a lot on this course. I really don't like the wetlands on number 7 through 9. I also had to take a 5 on hole 12. The reason why is because vegetation was blocking my teeshot and I did NOT want to lose another disc like I did on 8. I had to play safe as I could. This course has no maintenance AT ALL. If no one will work on it, it might as well become extinct. #10's grass is 5 ft tall. I'm serious, you might as well skip holes 7 thru 14 because they are all a mess.
-There are no teepads on the course and that's a problem. This course is on a new level of neglected. No maintenance or ANYTHING! I hope I clearly made it clear that I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS COURSE! I realize that last year when I first wrote this review, it was positive but I played again in August 2013 and I forgot how much of a problem it was.
-Hole 2's basket along with 18's have been stolen.
-Lack of next teesigns and again, the walk from 10-11 was covered in thorns and I found #15 by going to the left instead of straight ahead and #12's tee is close by so I went down the trail and saw #11's basket.
Other Thoughts: -Last year I was too nice and easy on this course and now I know that it needs a better layout. Maybe this course just needs to become extinct because no one is working on it. This course is crammed in. It would be much better off as a 9 holer. I mean, it's an enjoyment tease. The first six holes are very fun and enjoyable and the last four are great too but by the time you are done with #10, I won't be surprised if you quit. Just play 1-6 and 15-18 and you will have a much better time than playing all 18. If you want examples of badly designed holes and poor places to put them, read this below.

#7-WTH is that. You are literally throwing over the running track and you have an approach shot through super tall grass and if you overthrow, you may as well not look for your disc because it would be in the wetlands.

#8-This hole is on a new level of gimmickiness. You can either anhyzer over the baseball field or hyzer over the wetlands to the right and pray that it will be in a cleaner spot in the "fairway" which is mostly tall grass.

#10-THE GRASS IS FIVE FEET TALL. Skip this hole and call it a par because it is not worth losing a disc.

#11-This is one of the worst holes I have played. You can just cross a straight and clean shot out as a viable option because every tree in the fairway has overhead branches down very low and the underbrush to the left is so bad you can hardly see where to go if your disc landed in there.

#13-Same thing as #10. Skip this hole along with #14 which is also overgrown and head to #15 as that is a good hole. Just head to #15 when you are done with #6.

I played here last year in 2012 and it was in better shape than it is now. Imagine how bad it will be next year if locals don't work on it this year. I don't recommend this course unless you like losing discs. I don't think so. With so much potential, why neglect a course like this one. This course can go back to a 3.5 with some maintenance! Let's hope it will!

Brevard DGC

5+    9/12/2009   9/13/2009
Review By: Tin Machine
Pros: I have to give the people responsible for this course credit. The area on Brevard College's campus is relatively flat and not the greatest for a disc golf course, yet they've managed to design a somewhat decent course all things considered. There is good parking and drink machines near the start of the course. Most of the time at Hole 1, you can find score cards that are very helpful if it's your first time playing, as they define hole lengths, pars, and locations. Signage for the course is also good.

There are a few standout holes here, namely Hole 12. The recent addition of the new holes on the back nine are a huge improvement to the course, as they really break up the open and repetitive feel of the front 9.
Cons: As eluded to above, the front 9 has a few major drawbacks. Hole 1 is basically a narrow alley between two dormitories (great place to lose a disc on their roofs if you're prone to wild throws). In fact, campus buildings come into play on Holes 1, 2, 3, and 18.

There is a wildlife conservation area all along Holes 6, 7, 8, and 9. What this means is there is very tall, untamed grass, weeds, briars, and a creek to swallow your plastic. Speaking of losing plastic, the new holes on the back nine are relatively new, so there is a lot of overgrowth off to the sides that has yet to be worn in by players. All I can say is try to keep 'em in the fairways as much as possible.

Another con is there are no tee boxes. They are simply grass, and many of them are not worn in.
Other Thoughts: I think in time, this will develop into a nice course. If you're planning on playing here, I would try to schedule it around times when students or athletic teams are out because of how the course plays through and around the dorms, the soccer field, the track, the tennis courts, and the football practice areas.

1    12/1/2008   12/1/2008
Review By: JBaggett
Pros: New baskets. Some elevation. Good for big arms.
Cons: Back nine missing signs. missing steps DISC EATING THORNS AND BUSHES.
Other Thoughts: I graduated from BC last year and have played the course a lot. It was super nice to have a 18 hole course outside my room. The course however is not maintained very well. The conservation area that defines some of the fairways is horrible for loosing discs in. Overall the holes are fun to throw and the college has done a good job with what they have. If you plan on playing the back 9 please find a local. You will have a much better time. THere are plans to make improvements on the course. The BC disc golf club has a very limited budget and only a few volunteers so progress is slow for updates on the course check with the Club's facebook group. If you have any questions I would be glad to help. Baggetja@gmail.com