Laurinburg, NC
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #4

Half a course

1    1/18/2013   1/26/2013
Review By: donaldm737
Pros: You can manage to play 9 holes with a little effort
Cons: You can play 9 holes if you play 1, 2, 3, 4...but throw to what turns out to be basket 5, the cut over to 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18.
Other Thoughts: This could be a great 9 hole course with a little TLC. Someone in the area needs to step up. It wouldn't take very much work. The tee sign poles are there, as are 9 fairly well layed out holes with baskets already in place.

Just in case your wondering.

1    11/3/2011   11/3/2011
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: There are baskets and the few holes that still exist are pretty good designs that would be great with a little work and play.
Cons: This "course" if you want to call it that has many issues as stated in the previous reviews. I had heard that they had made some improvements and replaced the baskets on many holes. When I got there I was quite optimistic because hole 1 seemed to be in good shape and a fun layout. Hole 2 same thing....things are looking up....then hole 4's pad we threw to a basket that we saw and it Ended up being basket to 6. where is 5? nowhere.....how bout 6? nope. 7's basket is sitting in the edge of the woods across new soccer fields where I assume the rest of those holes used to be. 8 9 10 11 12 all were either missing or so overgrown that I could not tell there was a fairway there. then we get to 13 and the rest of the way is a decent yet overgrown layout. I might have actually enjoyed these holes if I wasn't so frustrated trying to find the rest of the course that was still there.
Other Thoughts: It's sad to see a design that seemed to have some promise be destroyed but there was absolutely no play and very little interest in the area.
While my friends and I did make a decent safari layout as we played through the parts of the course that don't exist anymore it is not worth the time to stop. If your in the area and your not a "courses played" junkie I would try to detour to southern pines for Pine Cone Crush(and soon to come Chicken Plant rd course) or wait a few miles on 74 for Luther Britt Park.

Under Construction

1    2/20/2008   8/16/2008
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 8/29/2010
Pros:
NOTE: This course was not finished when I played it, but my review reflects the way the unfinished course was the day I played, so my rating is lower. The course will undoubtedly be improved when the work is completed, and then the rating will go up.

The course still had such a feel of "not yet open for business" that it's hard to review, but not that much really thrilled me. I liked the stretch of wooded holes from 14-17 the best.
Good length variety: 4<199/ 7 of 200-299/ 5 of 300-399/ 1 of 480/ 1 of 505
Two "Signature Schwartz" S shaped fairways ( 1 & 10), and one "Schwartz calling card" L bend holes (12). [When you see an L bend hole it's good bet that it was a Schwartz or Duvall design.]
Good DISCatcher baskets.
Cons:
The course has a rough and unfinished feel to it.
The tee pads are not finished, so they aren't totally level and they're just dirt, with mud in places, and minimally marked.
Hole 18 needs more trees taken out to make a fair flight path for your drive instead of just "huck it and pray".
Tee signs were very small and basic.
The front nine had 6 holes that were too wide open for my taste. I generally think that wide open holes are too bland, so I liked the back 9 better than the front 9.
The rough is still too thick in some places, and there are big thorns in some spots that need more clearing.
Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 875-925.)

There was a decent mix of open, wooded, and mixed terrain holes (10 wooded/ 6 Open/ 2 Mixed), but the front 9 had 6 open holes, which is too many for my tastes. I thought the terrain on the back 9 was better; I also liked the scenic swamp on the right of holes 16 & 17.
My favorite hole- 16 has a nice wooded fairway with a scenic wetland on the right side, to a good green.

NEWS: (Reiterating whet YonderScott said below) **Park construction has taken out much of holes 5-9. (July 08)**

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

~More detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are available in the Files section.

Holes Missing

5+    1/25/2009   7/25/2008
Review By: YonderScott
This review was updated on 11/19/2009
Pros: Great course layed out in eastern NC Pines. The first hole is wooded with a right bend. 2 and 3 are open. 4 is open, but has an old pond with heavy cabbage to the left. There are lefty holes and righty holes and straight ones. Once you find the first hole, the rest of the course flows like any other disc golf course. Tight and wooded with water in play. I love what is left of this course. It is wooded, with a nasty swamp in play on the last 3 holes.
Cons: Though this course just went in last year, they have chopped up part of the front 9. #5 has a tee with no basket.
#6 has a basket no tee. #7 has a tee, no basket. This past fall it was laying in the woods near the 5 fairway. If you look into the woods across the plowed field where 5, 6, and 7 should have been you will see #8. While you are over there and near 14 you will see the basket for 6 and the tee for 7. There are no benches or trash cans on the course and the tee signs only tell the hole number and distance. Tees are grass or natural and holes 2 and 3 are boring and open.
Other Thoughts: This was a great Russell Schwartz course, but they have expanded the ball fields and taken out 5, 6, 7. As of October the 7 basket was laying in the woods, as of Jan. its not there anymore. I have sent repeated emails to the Scotland Co. Parks department asking them if they plan to put 5, 6 and 7 back up but I haven't heard back from them. This is a really nice course in an area that doesn't have any courses. I would up the ante on the ranking of this place if they put 5, 6, and 7 back in.

**UPDATE** I was back at this course on 11-15-09. To add to the problems already there they have started clearing land behind 10-12, and I assume the 12 basket got bulldozed. That's what they did with 5 when they expanded the field. I looked for 30 minutes and couldn't find the 12 basket. The clearing is almost into the fairways for 10 and 11 as well, and I'm not sure what else they are going to clear, but the bulldozers are still there. And the over growth between 13-15 makes it almost unplayable. Pretty sad.