Waterloo, WI
Firemen's Park Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #7 (Taken 5/2012)

Excellant Park course

1    7/8/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: Grinder12000
Pros: Really pretty park course. Lots of large Oak trunks to negotiate but not . . . pin ballish. A thinking mans style course. Good balance between sidearm and back hand shots. Some long holes but not crazy long . . .just long for me I suppose. Not complaining.
Cons: WELL - it's almost like they design 9 holes and then blindly tossed the holes out like a cup of dice. MAKE SURE you look where the next tee is so you have a clue where to look.
Other Thoughts: First tee is on the cement path at the corner of the park.

Long Awaited Change

1    10/10/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: ShibbyDots
Pros: The set up of all the holes was a little funky at start, but they really utilized how much space they had and it was a really fun course to play. Most the holes had certain lays to make you play to a forearm or backhand toss.
Cons: I would have liked to see some of the trees cut down because there are a lot and maybe some better markers on where the holes actually start. I got lost after hole 1 and couldn't find hole 2.
Other Thoughts: Also on hole 1 they had a tube to hold maps, but it was empty so that didn't help. -_-

I'm always playing Rock River DGC where you can lose you disc quite easily, so this was a nice change for once.

Lucky to have this course

5+    5/22/2010   5/22/2010
Review By: koogs
This review was updated on 10/26/2011
Pros: I feel very lucky to have this course 5 minutes from my house. It's a beautiful course, very challenging for a
city park course due to the distances combined with the trees on every hole, as well as the water on hole 2 (see my pics). I've played this course 25+ times, so despite being a "noob", I feel qualified to review it.

Hole 1 is a nice warmup hole, 233 feet slightly downhill. You can come in from the right with a backhand, from the left with a forehand, or try to shoot the gap for an ace.

Hole 2 is 325 feet level, with the Maunesha River running right next to the fairway. In Native American, I think "Maunesha" means "Disc-eater". You can play it safe and sacrifice a little distance, or be aggressive and risk throwing a disc in the water. I have a throw-away disc in my bag just for this hole.

Hole 3 is 400 feet level, filled with trees, and all along the right side there's a brushy hillside that is also a disc magnet. When you finally get to the basket, if you overthrow your putt, there's a good chance it will roll to the bottom of the hill. I've only parred this hole twice, some of the locals play it as a par 4.

Hole 4 is 430 feet level, with a big tree right in front of the tee, forcing you to throw over the roadway. You may occasionally have to wait for a car to pass. The basket is also guarded by 4 trees.

Hole 5 is 200 feet level, a narrow fairway, and a wall of trees to get through to the right. Despite the short distance, I don't see it birdied very often; I've only done it once or twice.

Hole 6 is 315 feet uphill, with a fairly low ceiling, and a well guarded basket. This is the only hole I've never parred. Some also play this one as a par 4.

Hole 7 is 365 feet downhill, full of trees, with a low ceiling right in front of the tee. This is my favorite hole because it makes me feel like I can throw longer than I really can.

Hole 8 is 345 feet downhill, with the basket out of sight to the far left. Again, you have to keep it kind of low and straight until you clear the trees and make it break left. There is a road straight ahead that the long throwers might have to be careful of.
Hole 9 is 295 feet uphill. The fairway is wide open about halfway, then you run into a wall of trees, and again, a guarded basket. Hole 7 tee is just a few feet away, so I usually play that hole again, which gets me halfway back to where I parked. If you follow the directions on this page under the "Map Location" tab, you can park 20 feet from hole 1 tee.

Despite the distances, I don't feel the big arms have an advantage, except maybe on #6 and #8. On this course it's all about accuracy---getting through the trees. The more shots you have in your arsenal, the better. This course is never busy, I have personally never had to wait to play a hole. Rubber tee pads have now been put down and will be worked on over the next few weeks and eventually will be permanently fastened down.
Cons: Walkways and roads through the park are in play on a few holes. You may have to occasionally wait a few seconds for a car to pass, or a minute for a pedestrian, but compared to the waiting I do at some courses, I don't feel these are issues at all. There are currently no trash cans on the course, I'm going to see if I can fix that. No benches either, but for 9 holes, not a big deal.

Other Thoughts: Before you play this course for the first time, look at the map location so you will know how to park right next to hole 1. Also , bring a throwaway disc for hole 2. If you throw a marked disc in the water, and I find it, I will do anything I can (within reason) to get it back to you. I've even delivered a couple. And if you'd like a guide, feel free to contact me. UPDATE: Tee signs are now up. Remember to check each sign for direction to the next tee.

B+ = You Be Feelin' Positive After Playing This 9-holer

1    7/22/2009   7/24/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B (Tight lines for their fairway length on several holes and terrain on #3 add to the risk/reward. Impossible deuce length on several make it dumb to go for it and that subtracts from risk/reward. Still, overall it is quite good for the 65+ 9 holers I have played.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C (As stated before, most of the holes are too long and/or do not have the lines to make a deuce realistically possible. The 2 short holes are too short to be rewarding. This is my biggest knock on this course which I hate to do since I love the concept of the design. I believe the long holes are legit par 4's for beginners.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+ (Good variety of shape and up/down design given that variety has only 9 holes to play out.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A- (I normally would not give a city park such a high score, but the combination of the trees, the grass, the maintenacne and the stone walls make it very pleasant. You do not get much seclusion, but the course is in an area of the park that is not overly busy so it is quite.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Maunesha River

5+    5/20/2009   7/18/2009
Review By: pvilleDiscgolfer
Pros: -Beautiful park
-Well maintained
-Many different ways to get to the pin
-Long up and down hill bombs
-Mature trees
-Several well placed bushes as obsticles
Challenges players to keep control of their disc to avoid a river on #2, a road on #5, and a steep hill covered in thick brush on #3
Cons: Keep in mind the roads winding in an out of the park to avoid any collisions, also the holes really have no indication of where the next pin is so it can be a little difficult to navigate but like other reviewers have stated I have played the wrong pin before without even realizing it.
Other Thoughts: This nine is set in my home towns beautiful Firemans park next to the Maunesha River a short tributary of the Crawfish river. Built by members of the Trek bike plant in town they were looking for something to do on their lunch breaks. If only this were around when I lived in town. I also think they could add several if not nine more holes. The park is large enough.

All Killer, No FIller for a Nasty 9

2-4    3/28/2009   4/1/2009
Review By: Texconsinite
This review was updated on 5/25/2009
Pros: This is the hardest 9-hole course I have ever played.

This course brings it, from the moment you step onto the first tee, to the moment you putt on hole 9. I was very impressed by this course. Its a nine hole course in the middle of nowhere, with dirt tees, but its very challenging and very fun.

The course plays through a riverside and hillside full of mature trees, which provide a ceiling and force a lot of shot selection.

My uncle, a newcomer to the sport, hit the nail on the head by hole 3. "The lines are there, but they're not easy."

Fun for beginners and veterans alike, this course really offers something for everyone. None of the lines are easy, with trees, terrain, and the river coming into play. There are no filler holes on this course. Every one makes you think, and keep your disc low.

This course has some long, uphill holes, and it has short holes too, but all of them are technical.

The baskets are well-protected. Some are placed on a steep hillside (#3), some next to the river (#2), and most just have trees closely guarding them (#6 especially)

This little course is a gem. The park itself is quite cool as well. Its set up a little like an old fairgrounds, very vintage. They just don't make parks like this anymore, with concrete bleachers around the ball field, dug into the hillside, with a large tree growing through a dirt box in the middle providing shade to the people in the stands. A cool, cool place.
Cons: Like all good nine-holers, the biggest gripe about this course is that it's over too soon.

It appears that there could be space to expand this course with a few holes in the area across the bridge, and a connecting hole in the valley between 8 and 9, and maybe another in the woods next to basket 6 playing downhill, but whether those new holes would be up to the standards of the current ones is anyone's guess.

A better idea might be an alternate flow, maybe marked by short blue posts/bricks telling which basket you shoot at, to avoid confusion with main tees, but that's just me dreaming. (For other Alt hole Ideas, see Files)

Its hard to read the numbers on the teeposts and baskets from far away, and the lack of a map sometimes made it confusing to know which basket to shoot at. We played to the wrong basket at least twice while out here. The cool thing is, even playing to the wrong basket, the holes were really challenging and fun, which speaks to the quality of this course.

Some of the dirt tees were a bit muddy when we played, so we teed off to the side on many holes, but there was very little mud elsewhere on this course, and it seemed like it had gotten little play recently, which helps (it was 37 and windy)
Other Thoughts: Update: Came up with a way to add an informal, unofficial "back/alt 9" to this course, as there are tons of cool shots that would make for great holes (like the one harr mentioned), and would enrich the experience of an already good course (like EricJ's additional 8 on First Colony Aquatic Center)

The 9 unofficial Alt Holes are also printed in "Scorecard w/ Alt Holes" under docs. Print it off and try it out on a day that isn't busy, and enjoy this hidden gem of a park!

Awesome park, great Disc golf course.

1    4/16/2010   3/28/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) Wonderful property for disc golf. Park has all sorts of other activity areas and facilities. Set right along the Crawfish River although that only comes into play on 1 hole.

2) Nice baskets and nice tee posts. No signs or distances, just a post marking the next tee, but easy to spot from your previous basket.

3) Awesome use of the terrain. Nice uphills and some downhills with a couple set on sidehills that can definitely come into play. The river is nice, although with a well executed drive should not come into play.

4) Shot shaping is important which is always a challenge and I love that.

5) Beginner friendly for the most part, but the large trees and dealing with the slope could be tough on newbies, but a beginner can certainly come here and enjoy their round, unless they turn one over or griplock it into the river on #2.
Cons: 1) Grass tee areas could use a little upgrade like mulch in a few spots. For the most part they weren't too muddy except on maybe 1 or 2, but a nice level area to tee off of would be nice.

2) Not really a con but the layout is wierd in that the 1st tee is so far away from the parking lot, They could have you start on #4 (which is closer to the parking lot) then play #1, 2, 3 and go right to #5 from there. #9 basket also ends up on top of the hill away fromthe parking, they could have added a 10th hole running down the ridgeline towards the parking lot instead of squeezing in #2, but I suppose they wanted to incorporate the river as an asset too.

3) Backtracking from #2 basket to #3 tee puts you in harms way if it was busy and you throw along or near one sidewalk, the boulevard running through the park, and also along a street on #5, which all three could be hazardous or difficult to play when the park is crowded.
Other Thoughts: We all really enjoyed this course, it is set on an awesome old park setting with massive mature oaks and lots of use of the hills. Definitely a shot makers course, you better know where you are throwing or you could be in for it. I will definitely be back when I make another trip out that way.

Still a fun course and one I will be able to include on a mini daytrip!