Waterloo, WI
Firemen's Park Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #2 (Taken 5/2012)
3 / 343ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / 460ft. Par / Distance:

Excellant Park course

1    7/8/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: Grinder12000
Pros: Really pretty park course. Lots of large Oak trunks to negotiate but not . . . pin ballish. A thinking mans style course. Good balance between sidearm and back hand shots. Some long holes but not crazy long . . .just long for me I suppose. Not complaining.
Cons: WELL - it's almost like they design 9 holes and then blindly tossed the holes out like a cup of dice. MAKE SURE you look where the next tee is so you have a clue where to look.
Other Thoughts: First tee is on the cement path at the corner of the park.

Wish there was room for another 9...

1    5/20/2013   5/21/2013
Review By: dehaas
Pros: Excellent use of land; park is very well kept and lots of shot variety...long, short, righty, lefty, uphill, downhill.

Quite a few holes over 350 feet, uncommon for a lot of 9 holers.

Rubber mats instead of natural tees.

Tee signs with distances and pretty solid pictures of hole layout.
Cons: I couldn't find a designated parking lot for the disc golf course and had to ask a baseball player where the course started. Hole 9's basket is about halfway across the park from hole 1's tee. I ended up parking on a residential street and walking to the hole 1 tee.

Not many garbage cans around given the many paths that work through the course.

Some of the holes seem to zig zag a bit, finding the next tee wasn't always obvious...luckily I ran into the guy who maintains the course and he told me about the walks that might confuse me.
Other Thoughts: Many people do not give 9 holers any love unless you live right next to one. This course plays just like a legit 18 hole course, but there are just 9 holes. Don't come here expecting 200 foot pitch and putt holes. Lots of holes that make you throw relatively long but also display accuracy. I'd love to see this park have enough space for another 9 holes.

Just okay 9 hole.

1    10/4/2012   10/6/2012
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: Its always nice to see a small town like this have a course. Older style disccatchers here, but they were in decent shape. Rubber mats on all tees except 1. They were in good shape when i went since it was dry, but these tend to get slick so be cautious. All par 3s, and some have some good distance and/or tight, tricky lanes to the pin. Theres a small creek along hole 2s fairway to keep you honest. Theres very good elevation changes for a nine hole. Very clean park and there did't seem to be much if any vandalism and the flow is pretty easy to figure out as long as you find hole 1. Very nice tee signs with hole #, basic hole layout and distance on every hole. I've played plenty worse 9's than this one.
Cons: Hole 1 is literally on the extreme southwest corner of the park which is a hike from the parking lot in the park. It'd be best to park on Park Ave. where you'll see the sign for hole 1. (look at the map location on the main page before you go, it'll save you time and a headache) Hole 9 ends nowhere near hole 1. Paths and roads wind thru course so you need to watch out where and when you throw. Kind of disjointed on the first 3 holes.
Other Thoughts: Worth a play if you are nearby (it is right between Bird's Ruins and Rock River) but not worth a trip just for this one. But i'd be happy to have this if I lived in Waterloo.

Long Awaited Change

1    10/10/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: ShibbyDots
Pros: The set up of all the holes was a little funky at start, but they really utilized how much space they had and it was a really fun course to play. Most the holes had certain lays to make you play to a forearm or backhand toss.
Cons: I would have liked to see some of the trees cut down because there are a lot and maybe some better markers on where the holes actually start. I got lost after hole 1 and couldn't find hole 2.
Other Thoughts: Also on hole 1 they had a tube to hold maps, but it was empty so that didn't help. -_-

I'm always playing Rock River DGC where you can lose you disc quite easily, so this was a nice change for once.

Check it Out

5+    9/16/2009   8/23/2010
Review By: Bushmaster
This review was updated on 8/27/2010
Pros: Nice use of elevation changes. An ace chance. The course is not heavily played, I have never seen anybody else there while playing. The Maunesha River runs alongs hole 2 making it a little tougher.
Cons: Road goes through the course and comes into play on a hole 4.
Other Thoughts: If your in the area definetly check it out. One of the best 9 hole courses I have played. Used to have dirt tee boxes but now has rubber tee pads. Hole 3 is a tough par but can be done.

Could be better

2-4    6/20/2010   6/20/2010
Review By: Tradisc
Pros: Hole 2
Cons: No direction or flow.
Horrible tee pads.
No set lines to basket on most holes.
Other Thoughts: This could be a nice course if they updated the tee pads and installed signs. There is also a need for some trimming.

Lucky to have this course

5+    5/22/2010   5/22/2010
Review By: koogs
This review was updated on 10/26/2011
Pros: I feel very lucky to have this course 5 minutes from my house. It's a beautiful course, very challenging for a
city park course due to the distances combined with the trees on every hole, as well as the water on hole 2 (see my pics). I've played this course 25+ times, so despite being a "noob", I feel qualified to review it.

Hole 1 is a nice warmup hole, 233 feet slightly downhill. You can come in from the right with a backhand, from the left with a forehand, or try to shoot the gap for an ace.

Hole 2 is 325 feet level, with the Maunesha River running right next to the fairway. In Native American, I think "Maunesha" means "Disc-eater". You can play it safe and sacrifice a little distance, or be aggressive and risk throwing a disc in the water. I have a throw-away disc in my bag just for this hole.

Hole 3 is 400 feet level, filled with trees, and all along the right side there's a brushy hillside that is also a disc magnet. When you finally get to the basket, if you overthrow your putt, there's a good chance it will roll to the bottom of the hill. I've only parred this hole twice, some of the locals play it as a par 4.

Hole 4 is 430 feet level, with a big tree right in front of the tee, forcing you to throw over the roadway. You may occasionally have to wait for a car to pass. The basket is also guarded by 4 trees.

Hole 5 is 200 feet level, a narrow fairway, and a wall of trees to get through to the right. Despite the short distance, I don't see it birdied very often; I've only done it once or twice.

Hole 6 is 315 feet uphill, with a fairly low ceiling, and a well guarded basket. This is the only hole I've never parred. Some also play this one as a par 4.

Hole 7 is 365 feet downhill, full of trees, with a low ceiling right in front of the tee. This is my favorite hole because it makes me feel like I can throw longer than I really can.

Hole 8 is 345 feet downhill, with the basket out of sight to the far left. Again, you have to keep it kind of low and straight until you clear the trees and make it break left. There is a road straight ahead that the long throwers might have to be careful of.
Hole 9 is 295 feet uphill. The fairway is wide open about halfway, then you run into a wall of trees, and again, a guarded basket. Hole 7 tee is just a few feet away, so I usually play that hole again, which gets me halfway back to where I parked. If you follow the directions on this page under the "Map Location" tab, you can park 20 feet from hole 1 tee.

Despite the distances, I don't feel the big arms have an advantage, except maybe on #6 and #8. On this course it's all about accuracy---getting through the trees. The more shots you have in your arsenal, the better. This course is never busy, I have personally never had to wait to play a hole. Rubber tee pads have now been put down and will be worked on over the next few weeks and eventually will be permanently fastened down.
Cons: Walkways and roads through the park are in play on a few holes. You may have to occasionally wait a few seconds for a car to pass, or a minute for a pedestrian, but compared to the waiting I do at some courses, I don't feel these are issues at all. There are currently no trash cans on the course, I'm going to see if I can fix that. No benches either, but for 9 holes, not a big deal.

Other Thoughts: Before you play this course for the first time, look at the map location so you will know how to park right next to hole 1. Also , bring a throwaway disc for hole 2. If you throw a marked disc in the water, and I find it, I will do anything I can (within reason) to get it back to you. I've even delivered a couple. And if you'd like a guide, feel free to contact me. UPDATE: Tee signs are now up. Remember to check each sign for direction to the next tee.

Sadly No

1    5/16/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: wishingtan
Pros: It's a beautiful park. I used to play baseball here when I was a kid, and I have some great memories. There is a very nice stream running through, and some great views.
Cons: You are constantly throwing at other players, walking paths, biking paths, over a walking bridge, at parked cars, and moving cars. Finding hole 1 is impossible, and is 200 yards from where you park. The 9 holes do not go in a circle, if you want to play a second 9, you have to walk 200 yards back to hole 1, crossing several holes in the process. Otherwise if you finish at 9, you have to walk 100 yards in the opposite direction back to the parking area.
Other Thoughts: It's worth playing once, and maybe throwing together a picnic.

B+ = You Be Feelin' Positive After Playing This 9-holer

1    7/22/2009   7/24/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B (Tight lines for their fairway length on several holes and terrain on #3 add to the risk/reward. Impossible deuce length on several make it dumb to go for it and that subtracts from risk/reward. Still, overall it is quite good for the 65+ 9 holers I have played.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C (As stated before, most of the holes are too long and/or do not have the lines to make a deuce realistically possible. The 2 short holes are too short to be rewarding. This is my biggest knock on this course which I hate to do since I love the concept of the design. I believe the long holes are legit par 4's for beginners.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+ (Good variety of shape and up/down design given that variety has only 9 holes to play out.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A- (I normally would not give a city park such a high score, but the combination of the trees, the grass, the maintenacne and the stone walls make it very pleasant. You do not get much seclusion, but the course is in an area of the park that is not overly busy so it is quite.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Maunesha River

5+    5/20/2009   7/18/2009
Review By: pvilleDiscgolfer
Pros: -Beautiful park
-Well maintained
-Many different ways to get to the pin
-Long up and down hill bombs
-Mature trees
-Several well placed bushes as obsticles
Challenges players to keep control of their disc to avoid a river on #2, a road on #5, and a steep hill covered in thick brush on #3
Cons: Keep in mind the roads winding in an out of the park to avoid any collisions, also the holes really have no indication of where the next pin is so it can be a little difficult to navigate but like other reviewers have stated I have played the wrong pin before without even realizing it.
Other Thoughts: This nine is set in my home towns beautiful Firemans park next to the Maunesha River a short tributary of the Crawfish river. Built by members of the Trek bike plant in town they were looking for something to do on their lunch breaks. If only this were around when I lived in town. I also think they could add several if not nine more holes. The park is large enough.