Waterloo, WI
Firemen's Park Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #8 (Taken 5/2010)
3 / 373ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / 520ft. Par / Distance:

1 2 Next >
 B+ = You Be Feelin' Positive After Playing This 9-holer

1    7/22/2009   7/24/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B (Tight lines for their fairway length on several holes and terrain on #3 add to the risk/reward. Impossible deuce length on several make it dumb to go for it and that subtracts from risk/reward. Still, overall it is quite good for the 65+ 9 holers I have played.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C (As stated before, most of the holes are too long and/or do not have the lines to make a deuce realistically possible. The 2 short holes are too short to be rewarding. This is my biggest knock on this course which I hate to do since I love the concept of the design. I believe the long holes are legit par 4's for beginners.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+ (Good variety of shape and up/down design given that variety has only 9 holes to play out.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A- (I normally would not give a city park such a high score, but the combination of the trees, the grass, the maintenacne and the stone walls make it very pleasant. You do not get much seclusion, but the course is in an area of the park that is not overly busy so it is quite.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Maunesha River

5+    5/20/2009   7/18/2009
Review By: pvilleDiscgolfer
Pros: -Beautiful park
-Well maintained
-Many different ways to get to the pin
-Long up and down hill bombs
-Mature trees
-Several well placed bushes as obsticles
Challenges players to keep control of their disc to avoid a river on #2, a road on #5, and a steep hill covered in thick brush on #3
Cons: Keep in mind the roads winding in an out of the park to avoid any collisions, also the holes really have no indication of where the next pin is so it can be a little difficult to navigate but like other reviewers have stated I have played the wrong pin before without even realizing it.
Other Thoughts: This nine is set in my home towns beautiful Firemans park next to the Maunesha River a short tributary of the Crawfish river. Built by members of the Trek bike plant in town they were looking for something to do on their lunch breaks. If only this were around when I lived in town. I also think they could add several if not nine more holes. The park is large enough.

very nice nine

1    5/12/2009   5/13/2009
Review By: tallpaul
This review was updated on 1/5/2010
Pros: Rare that I would give a nine hole course a 3 rating. As mentioned in other reviews, this one is a gem. Except for hole #1, I consider all holes a tough deuce. #1, #4 and #5 are possible twos. However, my companion and I both were in the road next to #4, and considered this out of bounds. Other reviews stated river is not in play on water hole. I disagree, as to get close to bucket requires going over river the entire way. I was in both times, with one lost disc. We were mopping up small courses we had not played in Wisconsin as well as a number of courses a little west of Chicago. We knew there were not many great courses along our route. With that said, Fireman's Park, Waterloo, beat out a number of Illinois 18's and was our favorite course of trip. We played 18 total courses. In other words, this one is pretty darn good....
Cons: To get to hole #1 from 9 requires a walk. We played #7 a second time each round to return to beginning. #7 is a nice hole, and so, was no big deal.
Other Thoughts: Am interested in trying alt. 9 next time I get out there; which I plan to do. Combine this course with the course at Watertown; which has recently added a very good back nine and I think you will have added a couple of hidden gems to your list..

All Killer, No FIller for a Nasty 9

2-4    3/28/2009   4/1/2009
Review By: Texconsinite
This review was updated on 5/25/2009
Pros: This is the hardest 9-hole course I have ever played.

This course brings it, from the moment you step onto the first tee, to the moment you putt on hole 9. I was very impressed by this course. Its a nine hole course in the middle of nowhere, with dirt tees, but its very challenging and very fun.

The course plays through a riverside and hillside full of mature trees, which provide a ceiling and force a lot of shot selection.

My uncle, a newcomer to the sport, hit the nail on the head by hole 3. "The lines are there, but they're not easy."

Fun for beginners and veterans alike, this course really offers something for everyone. None of the lines are easy, with trees, terrain, and the river coming into play. There are no filler holes on this course. Every one makes you think, and keep your disc low.

This course has some long, uphill holes, and it has short holes too, but all of them are technical.

The baskets are well-protected. Some are placed on a steep hillside (#3), some next to the river (#2), and most just have trees closely guarding them (#6 especially)

This little course is a gem. The park itself is quite cool as well. Its set up a little like an old fairgrounds, very vintage. They just don't make parks like this anymore, with concrete bleachers around the ball field, dug into the hillside, with a large tree growing through a dirt box in the middle providing shade to the people in the stands. A cool, cool place.
Cons: Like all good nine-holers, the biggest gripe about this course is that it's over too soon.

It appears that there could be space to expand this course with a few holes in the area across the bridge, and a connecting hole in the valley between 8 and 9, and maybe another in the woods next to basket 6 playing downhill, but whether those new holes would be up to the standards of the current ones is anyone's guess.

A better idea might be an alternate flow, maybe marked by short blue posts/bricks telling which basket you shoot at, to avoid confusion with main tees, but that's just me dreaming. (For other Alt hole Ideas, see Files)

Its hard to read the numbers on the teeposts and baskets from far away, and the lack of a map sometimes made it confusing to know which basket to shoot at. We played to the wrong basket at least twice while out here. The cool thing is, even playing to the wrong basket, the holes were really challenging and fun, which speaks to the quality of this course.

Some of the dirt tees were a bit muddy when we played, so we teed off to the side on many holes, but there was very little mud elsewhere on this course, and it seemed like it had gotten little play recently, which helps (it was 37 and windy)
Other Thoughts: Update: Came up with a way to add an informal, unofficial "back/alt 9" to this course, as there are tons of cool shots that would make for great holes (like the one harr mentioned), and would enrich the experience of an already good course (like EricJ's additional 8 on First Colony Aquatic Center)

The 9 unofficial Alt Holes are also printed in "Scorecard w/ Alt Holes" under docs. Print it off and try it out on a day that isn't busy, and enjoy this hidden gem of a park!

Awesome park, great Disc golf course.

1    4/16/2010   3/28/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) Wonderful property for disc golf. Park has all sorts of other activity areas and facilities. Set right along the Crawfish River although that only comes into play on 1 hole.

2) Nice baskets and nice tee posts. No signs or distances, just a post marking the next tee, but easy to spot from your previous basket.

3) Awesome use of the terrain. Nice uphills and some downhills with a couple set on sidehills that can definitely come into play. The river is nice, although with a well executed drive should not come into play.

4) Shot shaping is important which is always a challenge and I love that.

5) Beginner friendly for the most part, but the large trees and dealing with the slope could be tough on newbies, but a beginner can certainly come here and enjoy their round, unless they turn one over or griplock it into the river on #2.
Cons: 1) Grass tee areas could use a little upgrade like mulch in a few spots. For the most part they weren't too muddy except on maybe 1 or 2, but a nice level area to tee off of would be nice.

2) Not really a con but the layout is wierd in that the 1st tee is so far away from the parking lot, They could have you start on #4 (which is closer to the parking lot) then play #1, 2, 3 and go right to #5 from there. #9 basket also ends up on top of the hill away fromthe parking, they could have added a 10th hole running down the ridgeline towards the parking lot instead of squeezing in #2, but I suppose they wanted to incorporate the river as an asset too.

3) Backtracking from #2 basket to #3 tee puts you in harms way if it was busy and you throw along or near one sidewalk, the boulevard running through the park, and also along a street on #5, which all three could be hazardous or difficult to play when the park is crowded.
Other Thoughts: We all really enjoyed this course, it is set on an awesome old park setting with massive mature oaks and lots of use of the hills. Definitely a shot makers course, you better know where you are throwing or you could be in for it. I will definitely be back when I make another trip out that way.

Still a fun course and one I will be able to include on a mini daytrip!

NIfty Nine

2-4    3/11/2009   3/12/2009
Review By: trifocal
Pros: This is challenging 9 holer in Waterloo's Firemans Park. The course sits on hill adjacent to the Crawfish River. Elevation changes on every hole, except # 2 which runs along the bank of The Crawfish. There is no rough to speak of, but lots of mature trees that define possible lines. The course is very clean and apparently gets little play. A player will need to make low throws on 6 of the nine holes. Baskets are numbered as are the 4x4 posts that designate the tee. Dogs on leash okay.
Cons: There are no tee pads. The first tee is located in the extreme SW corner of the park...not really close to the parking lot next to the baseball diamond. # 9 finishes near the hill top on the north side of the park, at least 1000' from the first tee. No benches or trash cans.
Other Thoughts: There is a significant amount of walking or back tracking between baskets and tees, but I believe this was neccessary to make the best use of a limited space...the confines of a muncipal park. Although there are no tee pads, the tee areas were not muddy or even packed earth, the course appears to get little play...kind of a shame as it really is a nice 9 holer with challenging tee shots on 8 of the 9 holes.# 1 is the only easy deuce. After finishing 9, I headed back to #1 by playing #7 and # 4 again. This gets you back to the 1st tee. There's really only one wide open hole...# 8. If you enjoy courses with trees in the fairway, you will probably like this course. There are no pinball holes.

1 2 Next >