Marietta, OH
Big Buckeye - Red Course Share

Kinda Confusing

1    7/22/2013   7/23/2013
Review By: knettles
Pros: -Some decent terrain.
-Tee signs at every hole.
-Variable hole length (still all under 350').
-Bathrooms and picnic shelter at entrance.
Cons: -There seemed to be two baskets missing.
-Baskets are single chain Lightning (not that bad), but they're not "anchored" into the ground. They have the circular base just staked down.
-For some of the holes, it was very difficult to figure out what basket you were throwing to and where the next tee was.
-The couple wooded holes were extremely poorly maintained with branches, weeds, and grass everywhere.
Other Thoughts: This feels like a course that one of the locals decided to just put in one day. It could be decent, but there's just a few things holding it back. Simply improving signage and have all tee signs facing the direction you're throwing would be a big start. Anchoring the baskets in a sleeve would make theft more difficult (I'm assuming that's what happened to two of the baskets). The layout actually wasn't horrible, but there were a few places where they could have rearranged it a bit.

Also, I was confused about the previous reviewer saying there was an upper 9 and lower 18. I only found one course of 18 holes. Maybe I missed it? In closing, I would say to stop by here if you're a completionist and in the area. There are some really great courses nearby as well.

So-So course until.........

1    3/19/2011   3/21/2011
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: The Lower 18:

Well Mowed
Free of Trash
The Holes near the end that go through the woods I thought were really fun
A couple nice changes in elevation

The Upper 9

Huge Huge Huge elevation changes
Very High fun factor
Great Scenery/Nature Hike
Completely Different and much more challenging then the original Lower 18
Exceptional use of available land
Cons: The Lower 18:

Kinda Plain and Mostly Open
It feels like your playing in someones yard at one point
Repetitive

The Upper 9

If your out of Shape these holes will kick your ass
Kinda Dangerous at Times
Rough Terrain
Other Thoughts: I split up the lower 18 and upper 9 in my review because they are totally different from each other as is my opinion of each

I had stitches in my back when I went to this course but I agreed to go with my friend anyway. I didn't think it looked very good and I figured it would be a good course to just play it easy on. I didn't want to make any sudden movements or stretch my back and tear my stitches. So I told my friend I would go with him and half ass it. (I know no one cares about my stitches but it come into play later in my review)

We started with the bottom 18 hole course. It was an OK course. It weaves back and fourth across a open field until you start throwing in someones back yard avoiding the playing kids into some nice elevation changes.

Sadly when I played this course a few of the holes between 7-10 were underwater due to flooding but they looked like they would be fun. There are some cool elevation changes in this section of the course. Hole 11 was short but it plays from the top of a step hill into a catcher that sits right in front of some water so you have to watch that you avoid an overthrow.

Then you climb a small but steep hill to play 14,15,16. These were my favorite holes of the course. Short and wooded but placement is a must. If you miss you got some steep and thick rough to search through. Hole 16 I thought was great straight, down and over a small creek. The wooded holes had a high fun factor

The last few holes weave back and fourth through the same open field you started in.

There is no other courses nearby and this one is playable. I was about to rate this one a 2.5 but then I played the Upper 9............

You have to walk up a very long and very steep hill to get to the first tee in the Upper 9. When you finally think you've reached the top you see there is another gigantic hill to climb. You'll be worn out by the time you get to the 1st hole but there is bench on the top sit down catch your breath and get ready for some phenomenal Disc Golf!!

The Upper 9 on this course is something special. It's a shame it's not 18 holes if they could find a way to put in an additional 9 holes and make them half as good and the 9 that already there then this course would be out of this world. I was so impressed by this place that I couldn't resist I ignored my Doctors orders and started winging discs at full power, stitches be damned!!

The Upper 9 features some of the biggest and most fun elevation changes I have ever played. Starting with Hole 1 which has a huge and high Top of the World downhill shot. From there it plays through some very Raw and Rugged land. Some of the land is so rough and harsh that a lot of people may not like this this section of the course. It's not for the weak! There are times when you throw and you don't walk to your disc, you climb down to it. Navigating it can actually be borderline dangerous at times. Keep your throws accurate or you will pay dearly. I remember one hole that was 350 plus straight down a tight line. I parked my disc right under the basket. I remember remarking to my friend that it was one of the best throws I have ever made in my life. I then proceeded to bang my 6 foot putt of the side of the basket and watched my disc roll about 180 feet down the side of a huge hill. Needless to say I was pissed

I'm a big fan of the nature aspect of Disc Golf and this is just pure nature at it's finest. I can barely put into words how much I enjoyed this one. Kudos to whoever designed it, they used available land to perfection.

I've noticed that there are no pictures up of the Upper 9 on this site and I have also seen no mention of it in the reviews so I assume it's new. Play it quick before someone hurts themselves and sues the park system and they have to take it down.

The Upper Course I would give a 4 - 4.5. Which is a rating I have never given a 9 hole course in my life. So for an overall rating of the Upper and Lower I met in the middle and I'm gonna give it a 3.5.

I highly recommend this one for locals and road trippers alike. The Lower course is fun but the magic is in the Upper course. By far the best 9 hole course I've ever played

Duece or Die!

2-4    11/6/2010   11/8/2010
Review By: tistoude
Pros: A very nice beginner's course that is located in the Broughton Nature and Wildlife Education area. Good use of elevation through out the course and there are three very wooded holes to break up the monotony of this very open course. Also even though most of the holes are very easy and open a good majority of the pins are placed well. Some are very close to the creek making it easy to go OB, others are slightly raised or on slopes with one being snugged up against a telephone pole. The course itself is very well maintained. When I visited all of the grass was recently mowed and the paths in the woods were clear. 2 holes that I really liked were hole number 9 which tees off over OB and with OB up the whole right side, is the longest hole of 345' slightly up hill playing about 360', and hole number 16 which is a straight down 145' wooded shot with a drop off behind. On 16 you know that it is an easy ace but if you do not lay up real soft your disc will end up way down the hill. This would be a great course to teach kids how to play on. It plays very fast and you have a lot of room to try new shots or work with new plastic.
Cons: This course is really easy. It is the very definition of deuce or die. A higher rated pro would be able to go 18 down (all par 3's) without a problem on this course. The open, flat holes get very repetitive, the few holes with good elevation and the three in the woods are better but still do not require any real shot shaping. The walk between 6 and 7 and 10 and 11 are pretty much through people's yards. I realize that it is probably still apart of the wild life area but it feels like their yards, enough so that you can smell the septic tanks. The temp baskets are in pretty good shape but only have one set of chains so spit outs are a serious issue. Natural tees are not in the greatest shape. They are dirt, read mud when damp, and have some divots/gouges in them so watch your footing. A couple of areas around the course are labeled with "Caution Flammable - No Open Flames" so you might want to keep an eye out.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course if you are looking for a fast easy play. It can be a really good change of pace to come play a course like this instead of some of the longer harder courses. There is also a ton of flat open space to practice here. I would have no problem stopping here if I was passing through Marietta but I would not recommend going out of your way for this course.

Fun Little Pitch N Putt

5+    6/23/2009   6/27/2009
Review By: Julian Powell
Pros: Dosen't take long to play. Fun, fast, and beginner friendly.
Cons: Somewhat short. Not too much shot variety.
Other Thoughts: I love this course! I always have time to fit a round in. Everyone can enjoy this course and round scores are always close. Birdy Or Bust!

2-4    11/7/2008   11/14/2008
Review By: Herd1978
Pros: Many open, flat shots. Challenges with the forest shots.
Cons: All holes were Par 3's. Would've enjoyed a little longer hole a few times.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a decent course. Great course to sharpen your skills on.

Not great but still fun

6/28/2008   7/14/2008
Review By: timg
Pros: Well maintained/mowed with nice signs at each hole. Some baskets are also equipped with light-sensing LEDs so when it starts getting dark they turn on and you're ready for a night time round with some glow discs.
Cons: A majority of holes play in a flat, treeless field which doesn't really add much to the challenge factor. This may have been by design as it was for rec./intermediate players.

Also, you cut through the yards of a few houses (at least I thought I was cutting through) on the way to hole #7 so that was a bit weird.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the few courses within 30 miles of Marietta so if you're passing through this area and have the urge to toss some discs then narrowing down your course list shouldn't take very long. It's Big Buckeye or bust.

You start out in a flat, open field for the first five holes. From there you run into a little elevation with a couple of uphill/downhill holes. #12 drops you back into the flat field until you get to #14 which takes you into the woods with some pretty serious elevation. You're only in there for 3 holes and then back out in the flat for #17 and #18.

Considering what they had to work with, this course really isn't too bad. The few open holes with elevation were pretty nice but the rest of the field holes were of the drive-putt variety. If you have a good drive, you will get a deuce. The wooded holes play pretty tight up and down a fairly steep hill. Definitely a nice change of pace from the rest of the course.

Like I said earlier, there aren't many options for DG around here so stop by Big Buckeye if you're in the area. It won't blow your mind but you'll probably have a little fun while you're there.