Mason, OH
Mason Sports Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: JMONEY Hole #5 (Taken 4/2011)

Wish it was 18

5+    11/1/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: SigmaChris
Pros: Clean park, with 9 fun holes that are well laid out. Two holes (#5 and #8) have obvious water hazard with a creek running through the hole. It is slow and shallow so you can find the errant disc. Hole #9 the same creek can come into play if your shot goes high and left.

#8 is a fun hole being a downhill short par 5. You don't see the creek at the bottom of the hill from the tee box so have a spotter. I look forward to next year when it warms up...then I will attempt to cross the river from the tee box. Now it is a lay up shot and an easy birdie if your lay up goes straight and lands short of the water.
Cons: The first tee is way too far away from the parking lot, not a big deal but still a con.

There is a water treatment plant next to the course, so there can be an odor around #6 sometimes.
Other Thoughts: Hole #4 kicks my butt every time...the best I have is a 5 but I need to master my Annie or buy a sidewinder.

I would also like to see a mandatory on #9 keeping the discs left of the line of trees...or make the bike path to the right OB. It will make this closing par 5 much better if you can't use the football field as a bailout / short cut.

Great 9 holer

1    8/31/2008   9/5/2008
Review By: timg
Pros: Very well maintained course with nice concrete tee pads, good signage and a little elevation thrown in for good measure. The course was also easy to follow without a map for the most part.
Cons: As the previous review stated, some holes play around a football field and if a game is going on I'd guess you might have to skip them or be very careful with your drive.

Also, hole #1 starts far away from the parking lot off the road you use to get to the football area. I had to back track from the #2 basket (which is by the lot) to find the first tee. Otherwise, the course flows well.

Speaking of the #2 basket, it is a little too close to the parking lot. A poor shot has a very good chance of hitting a car.
Other Thoughts: I was expecting a basic pitch-and-putt course going in but was pleasantly surprised by what I found. All the holes were of decent length and each one was fairly unique. A lot of them were placed in wide alleys in the woods and you didn't have to worry much about losing a disc as the rough wasn't too thick. I can't comment on the traffic or other park amenities as I played later in the evening (7:30ish) and the whole place was deserted.

Hole #8 stood out in my mind as the "signature hole". You start farther back on the top of a hill and have to throw over a wooded and wide creek. You can lay up but if you decide to go for it, the creek is very shallow so retrieving a shot that doesn't make it isn't a big deal. It's one of those holes that you'll want to try until you "make it".

The course itself wasn't terribly challenging but it was definitely fun. A good player will have the potential for a lot of deuce opportunities here but it will take some decent drives to pull it off. I could see playing here regularly if I was a local and would recommend stopping by Mason if you're in the area and looking to get a quick 9 holes in.