Muncie, IN
McCulloch DGC Share
Uploaded By: Matthew boals Hole #9 (Taken 8/2010)

1 2 Next >
 Best course in my area!

5+    5/22/2010   8/29/2009
Review By: numbernine
This review was updated on 5/26/2010
Pros: I feel like I need to go back and revist all of my reviews. So as this is my home course, I will start here:

- Concrete pads on every hole. All of the pads are also in good shape and with the new mulch in place around them, they stay relatively mud free. This is especially good in the wetter months.
- A+ quality baskets. I'm not a %100 sure, but I think that all of the baskets are newer Mach IV's, but I could be mistaken. Whatever the case, they are only a couple of years old and still grab very fairly.
- Some very interesting, different shots. Everyone that I play with from out of town comments on how cool it is to have so much variety on one course. Downhill, uphill, straight away with some trouble, etc.
- Good signage on each hole and a map of the course when you start out on #1. I've been to loads of courses that didn't have anything, and they are nearly impossible to play. At mccullough, there should be no question as to where your next shot is.
- good mix of long and shorter type shots. Some 220 foot holes, with a few 500+ holes in there. #6 is long but fair and requires some thought on your upshot.
- different basket locations on most holes. this makes it fun when you go out and you have to try for the new pin spot.
- great community involved. http://www.munciediscgolf.com / has really worked hard to get this course up and running and has done a great job. only two years in and we have had a few tourneys and we always have a good league turnout.
- safari course! if you get bored with the regular 18, you can go find the markers in the ground and play the safari course. this is super fun.
Cons: - No bathrooms on the course. You can wander through the park and find somewhere to go, but it'd be nice to have a port-o-let or something to hit at the turn. 1 and 10 are close, so it'd make sense to slap it there.
- not a lot of tech shots. this is a "grip it and rip it" type of course. I guess some people would see that as a negative.
- could use a couple of "this way to the next tees " signs from the baskets. you'll find the next tee, but it might take a second.
Other Thoughts: it's obvious that the designers put a lot of thought into this course. The layout is logical and flows nicely.
there is talk of adding 9 more holes and I think that this would make McCullough a legit 4.5 course, as these holes are set to be very tech in nature.
Go play!

many challenges

1    7/30/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: sdervan
Pros: very long.
- hole 15 was on a giant hill and it made the approach shot a welcomed challenge.
- tested distance and shot placement with arragement of trees.
Cons: not marked out that well. almost missed two holes
Other Thoughts: i'd play it again but not my favorite in the area.

Beautiful Park

1    7/19/2009   7/20/2009
Review By: heywillard90
This review was updated on 8/25/2014
Pros: Great distance- mostly in the 300's and up.

Giant Park- McCholluch could fit three different 18 hole courses. Its that big.

Fantastic Park- A beautiful expansive, hilly park. Well landscaped with giant trees.

Navigation- For a first time playing at this course, as long as you concentrate you will follow the layout in order
Cons: Open layout- A number of holes are too open. A long hole that is only 2 straight shots and a putt is not all that interesting. This can be fixed with the planting of trees as obstacles

Hazard- A small stream plays along some long holes, but it is shallow so you could get your disc back.
Other Thoughts: I really love the feel of this course. The park is very scenic and charming. The layout is above average. I drove from Anderson to get here because it was the closest course in the area, which was thirty minutes. If I was in Indianapolis I still would have made this trip.

Nice course

1    4/12/2009   4/12/2009
Review By: DOGvsRAPTOR
This review was updated on 9/30/2010
Pros: The guys from www.munciediscgolf.com do a great job doing up keep on the course, along with periodically changing basket locations. I find the course to be really easy to navigate, with nice signs, and good people to play with.
Cons: The creek / river sucks on three and four. Lack of trashcans, but I believe that will be taken care of soon.
Other Thoughts: Great course, designed by Indianapolis Pro Jerry Suiter. Nice long holes mixed with some tougher shorter holes. Hole 14 is probably the hole that most people would remember. I believe its between 430-450ft downhill with trees lining the fairway. Keep up the good work Muncie guys.

www.munciediscgolf.com

****edit****

This course continues to improve. The Club guys are in the process of having alternate sleeves for every hole. This is a great course if you are between Fort Wayne and Indy and want to throw. Check out their site for more information.

Long and Fun

2-4    1/21/2009   1/21/2009
Review By: zud00
This review was updated on 7/26/2010
Pros: Nice signage, multiple pin placements, nice tee pads (alternate natural tees for shorter distances), good variety of holes, course returns to parking lot after 9th and 18th hole, nice use of elevation change.
Cons: Trash cans are few and far between, no benches, long walks between holes, restrooms are on opposite side of park.
Other Thoughts: This course offers a bit for everyone ranging from very long open holes to shorter holes with mature trees. The park is covered with very tall mature trees, which are spaced throughout the park so that they are not so much of a nusiance as they are on other courses I have been to.

Holes 3-6 play along a creek that may come into play with an errant shot.

There were many holes with long walks from the basket to the next tee pad. It makes it difficult for a first timer to naviagate the course.

On one hole, you get to launch a bomb from the top of a hill. Many of the holes allow you to rip into the drive going for maximum distance. There were only a few trees that you really have to avoid.

I really enjoyed the design of this course and appreciated it more the second time I played. The cons that I listed kept me from giving it a 4. If I would rate the course soley on design, I would give it a 4.

***Edit***
A very active club has done a great job with this course. Many new pin positions and the grounds are very well taken care of. The course is in the process of having 2 set-ups. I am bumping my rating up from a 3.5 to a 4:).

Enjoyed the course

1    6/18/2008   6/18/2008
Review By: edge3281
This review was updated on 9/19/2008
Pros: Course is brand new. There are alternate pin locations and the holes have nice signs showing where the baskets are as well as where the next tee off is located. There is some elevations changes that are nice. One hole you throw down a hill only to turn around on the next hole and play back up it. Also there is one hole that the basket is right at the edge of a large hill. You over shoot it and roll forever, which adds to the difficulty of the course.
Cons: I felt like I had to walk a good distance between most holes and they could have used the space to get a few more holes in. Two holes run next to a river that you can easily loose a disc in. This adds to the challenge of the course but with a very steep bank and very tall grass on the bank you might as well forget any disc that goes in there and you don't see exactly where it went in.
Other Thoughts: The course is designed so that you can play the front 9 or back 9 and start and finish at the parking lot. This makes it very nice if you don't have time for a full round or try to squeeze in some extra holes before you leave. I have played this course a few times now and I enjoy it more every time I play it.

1 2 Next >