Muncie, IN
McCulloch DGC Share
Uploaded By: Matthew boals Hole #5 (Taken 8/2010)

Heave Ho!

2-4    1/2/2015   1/4/2015
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: For those guys who are always lamenting how all the courses are "too short", this park has made a really generous commitment of well-groomed park space for an 18 hole competition caliber course in town. With a dozen holes beyond the reach of most Recreational tee shots, and in fact, only a couple of deuce opportunities for us weaker arms, the design caters to Intermediate and some Advanced players (there might not be enough technical challenge to really separate out top Open players).

There are really nice, level, concrete tees and decent signage at each of the 18 holes, plus signposts and natural tees off to one side for some shorter tees along the way. The baskets are 18 chain DGA which catch adequately (upgrading would be great, but probably too much of a monetary commitment). There are clearly alternate pin positions to add some variety.

They've added a couple of feature basket positions to spice things up here: there's a four foot high pedestal green on 2, and an actual ziggurat pyramid mound on 6 that sits over 500 feet from the tee. Whether your upshot is your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, you need to place it carefully here, because chaining out will really roll away for a tough comeback! There's even a nice 'top of the world' shot on 14, beside the soap box derby track, which might be one of the bigger elevation drops in the otherwise flat region here in central Indiana.

A shelter and map kiosk sits by the parking lot where the front and back nine loops converge, but there's more of each (parking and shelters) at three spots along the course, so shotgun starts should be easy to spread out to.
Cons: Personally, the course plays just a little bit long, but too open for my game. There are park trees to force some basic line shaping, but nothing forcing an awesome upshot, so it felt a lot like, "well, here's another three, followed by a 200 foot walk to the next tee" on almost every hole. As a first timer, I would have liked a next tee sign at each basket, in addition to the tee signs. The third tee is particularly 'hidden', so make sure you other first timers bring a copy of the nice map.

I found it odd that, after I flattened out my tee shot on 4 (and was relieved to see I had cleared the creek on the right, rather than going in), it took a 1000 foot walk to the street, then through 'no trespassing', thick, and seldom traversed scrub woods on the other side to collect my screwup. I would have thought it might be common for others to put one over there…
Other Thoughts: McCulloch is the biggest of the (now) three courses near Muncie, with Lions Club being a more woodsy, shorter challenge, and Prairie Creek just being newly installed and expanding from nine holes. So there are options for this thriving DG community.

An excellent place to learn!

5+    8/28/2014   9/1/2014
Review By: Tony Koch
Pros: -Map of the course at hole 1.
-Practice basket
-Signs with hole directions as well as where to go for the next hole.
-Concrete tee pads.
-Holes 1, 9, 10, and 18 are around the main pavilion so you don't have to travel too far.
-Most of the holes add something new with variety. Water hazard on holes 3, 4, and 5. A long bomb through a wooded area on hole 5 with the basket cleverly placed up some stairs. And other holes that are placed in spots where you really have to be careful to not shank a tree or two. Hole 14 is throw way downhill where an old soapbox derby race station was. Good time to let one really fly.
-Hole 2 is now placed way up on a stack of railroad ties. Good time to work on elevated putting.
-Pretty good amount of parking.
-Baskets are older but still in fair condition.
-Pavilion near hole 14.
-Besides occasional trash near tee off pads, the park is mowed and kept up well.
-Going along with the variety, almost every hole presents some sort of challenge. Water, rough spots, trees, roads that are OB. Unless you pin point everything (or are a pro), there are only a handful of "easy" holes here.
Cons: -Few patches that are rough. Toss a disc in there and it may take awhile to find.
-Don't anhyzer anything too much on holes 3, 4, and 5 because of the stream to the right.
-Some may view this as a con and others may not...McCulloch has in the past moved the baskets on some holes to different spots. Such on hole 5 where it is currently a straight shot against the stream to the right. A basket used to lie under the trees way to the left.
-Poison ivy and sticker bushes.
-No restrooms.
-Not the best area to be around as day turns to night. A little sketchy.
-Not too much shade.
-Not really any trash cans other than at the main parking lot.
-Hole 3 tees off right by a sewage plant. So be prepared to grab a whiff of some stinky stuff!
Other Thoughts: -Love this course! Overall, the variety is great when it comes to all the holes. Some after you get the hang of it can be pretty easy to at least par but challenges still are present. Some of the holes will challenge your accuracy with the amount of trees! Good mixture of distances to really work on all of your discs.
-Because of the variety it rarely plays the same. Well, unless you're just a pro I guess.
-It sucks to lose a disc or to have to look for one, but the holes near the water and rough will help you with accuracy in the long run. Also I find it cool that there are challenges.
-Usually there isn't a ton of people playing here, which makes it flow well if you're just out for a quick round of 18.
-Overall, I really recommend playing here if you've been playing for a year or two or just started. I'm still learning and playing here has helped me figure out how to do new things and what are the strengths and weaknesses of the discs in my bag. Even after playing it multiple times, I still love going here to catch a round or 2!

Fun course

1    7/2/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: Cjnichter
Pros: This was a fun course to play. It made great use of the large park. Also made great use of the trees throughout the park. I had to use many different types of shots, which I enjoy. Good mix of short and long holes. I played early in the morning during the week, so I was the only person on the course at the time. The course had a good flow to it and the tee signs helped find the next tee pad.
Cons: If you don't pay attention to the tee signs, then the next tee is sometimes hard to find. I can't think of any other cons about this course.
Other Thoughts: There were lots of mosquitos, so take bug spray with you. Also, with all of the recent rain, it's good to have a towel with you. Overall, a really good, challenging course. I'm not from the area, so if I am ever in town again I will definitely stop to play another round here.

5+    9/9/2011   9/12/2011
Review By: astomps
This review was updated on 8/11/2012
Pros: -course is easy to find, good signage
-holes are fun to play over and over again
-A & B courses
Cons: -2 holes near water are frustrating if you throw a disc in
Other Thoughts: -This was the course I 1st played and have been playing 2-3 times a week and it never gets stale. After playing this course a lot and playing other courses near it, to me, McCulloch is an outstanding course.

2-4    7/9/2011   7/11/2011
Review By: DiscGolfFreak
Pros: Very good course for airing out some bombs. Good signage and tee pads. Map at hole one. Many mature trees adding to the challenge and making many shots more technical. Makes good use of much of the park. Not very busy each time I have been there. Alternate pin placements making it play completely different from time to time. There is a pavilion and grill at hole #1
Cons: No restrooms or drinking fountains. Hard to find some of the tee stations the first time I played. Could use signs after pins to direct to the next hole. There are a couple of holes that are very difficult to par. Every hole is listed as a par 3 whether it is 200 feet or 600 feet. Some alternate pin placements angle way off of tee station, making for difficult first throws (ie hole #2).
Other Thoughts: Overall a fun course to play and worth going out of the way to get there.

A long challenging course

1    12/12/2010   12/12/2010
Review By: Chainrattler
This review was updated on 1/31/2011
Pros: A good course for getting exercise because you walk alot of distance. A very wide area course that takes up alot of the land of the park.
Cons: My opinion is that alot of the holes are similar in character. It felt redundant to me.

Will play here some more!

1    7/26/2010   7/26/2010
Review By: Oldstump
Pros: #1 the Park. This a pretty large park, about 3 X 2 city blocks in area which the course meanders through about 2/3rds of. Well dispersed mature hardwoods throughout the park with moderate elevation changes make for a great layout. Even with the many trees there are adequate lanes for most throwing styles. There is a decent mixture of hole lengths which can also change as many holes have multiple pin locations (as displayed on some of the hole maps. This could also be a con)

This is a very clean park for a city facility. New concrete tee pads offer very good footing (I played on a wet from dew early morning) and are generous in size. There are signs at every pad although some were missing the hole info.
Cons: Not many cons. The signs in most cases showed the multiple basket locations and distances for them. as a first timer at this course, with no guide, I almost had to walk a couple holes to find the basket direction before throwing from the tee. Related to this in some cases the tee may not be "directly" ained at a couple alternate basket spots.

There are a couple hikes from basket to next tee, especially as compared to my home course, but really not unreasonable.
Other Thoughts: An enjoyable round. I'll play this course a couple more times while I'm here in Muncie and may well re-visit this review but my first impression left me wanting to come back.

When I played this early morning the cicedas (sp?) where in full voice throughout the trees.

Enough open air for discs to fly while still needing to navigate. what fun.

It does surprise me that a city the size of Muncie has just one DG course.

Strong Arm Course

2-4    5/30/2010   7/24/2010
Review By: chuckdisc
Pros:

- A map of the course layout by the pavillion.
- The course is covered in trees spaced out enough to offer shade, but not really hinder your shot.
- A couple of uphill shots, #7 and #10.
- The fairway on hole #8 is narrow and lined with trees, making for a more technical shot.
- A nice downhill shot on hole #14.
- Cement tee pads at every hole with tee signs showing basket location, distance, and par.
Cons:
- Park is by a wastewater treatment plant so it had a bad smell by hole #3.
- A few holes seemed too similar, long straight shots.
I always like a free course! You can find your way around better if you look at the course map before you begin. A creek runs alongside hole #3 and hole #4, but doesn't really come into play unless you have a bad shot.

Two for One!?

2-4    4/19/2010   4/20/2010
Review By: Matthew boals
This review was updated on 5/7/2011
Pros: •VERY Active Club(s). Munciediscgolfclub.com,Ball state DGC.see "Other Thoughts" for more info •Pavilion with plenty of tables,Painted course map with club information on back. •New Color Tee signs! Showing Alt. Pin placements. •Great baskets,I believe Mach V,with mulch around each one,even the Alt. Placements. •Concrete tees,with mulch around each one. •Plenty of trash cans & Benches (now on #4,8,12). •Length From both tees,see "Other Thoughts" •Open with mature trees,no underbrush. •A few low canopy fairways. •Loop layout. •All holes have Alt. Pin placements
Cons: •No underbrush-bad throws not really punished. •Concrete only on pro/long tees,could be a little short for some. •No bathroom,Port-a-let at parking lot?"natures bathroom" after #6 basket? •Benches; On #1 and #2 tees? My .02 move one to #6 and, I believe #14 after the soapbox derby hill. • Directional signs ON baskets,below the basket would be a HUGE plus! Especially crossing the roads and finding the tee for #14.
Other Thoughts: Let me tell you that my drives are 250 +,-. My approach is the strongest part of my game. Putting is only good for 40 feet or so. Just to let you know where I'm coming from in my review. I first played here about a week after it was in the ground a few years back. I've played here once a year since then and the only reason,I believe,this PARK is not being neglected is the VERY active DGC (Munciediscgolfclub.com). I know the only reason why the COURSE has improved so much is the Locals DOING the work,not the parks dept.,other than cutting the grass. If you only have the time for 9 make sure it's the back,more interesting than the front 9. I played the pro tees and it really pushed me on all of my throws. If I played the Amateur tees it would have just as fun and would have made par with a few birdies. So take your pick; ego boost or push yourself! I'll play again later this summer to see what the club has improved. Definitely a "Must Play",if your in the area and have a few hours in your day. It took me 15/20 minutes from I-69 got get to the course and 75 minutes to play all 18 from the Pro tees.

5+    9/6/2009   11/10/2009
Review By: FreddieC
Pros: Number of lengthy holes - plenty of room for a long arm but yet enough trees, elevation changes, and water hazards to make it interesting.
Cons: Very few finesse holes - course lacks technical layout that is crucial to the sport
Other Thoughts: Former home course - I learned the game on this course - but once I played others, I realized what was missing in my game and am still trying to recover!