Troy, NC
#9 orange tee

Miserable in Fall

1    11/21/2012   11/21/2012
Review By: Disc Junky
Pros: Only thing good about this course is that its over quickly.
Cons: Tee pads markers falling apart. At least the ones that you can find are. The holes are way to close together. Upkeep on the course seems to have been stopped.
Other Thoughts: Maybe if more Disc Golfers were to come here they would take better care of it. But as of right now unless it gets revamped I wont even bother stopping even on my way to Fox Chase.

Nice 9 holes

2-4    11/30/2011   12/19/2011
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: 3 teepads for each hole. I love this idea for a 9 holer that is the only course in town. As a beginner there are tees that fit your game and as a more advanced player there are tees that can test you as well. There is some goo variety for such a small park. you can play 27 different looks.

Navigation is tough........but then I figured out the trick! Each basket has colors painted on them that point right at the next pad of each layout. They are on the rim of the basket. And then there are bricks that have been laid in the ground with a color painted on them leading the way. Cool idea once you know how it works.
Cons: The Teepads are kinda run down in some cases and even though I figured out the navigation trick there is very little marking them. just a colored tile in the ground which is hard to see during fall when the leaves can cover them up.

Some of the baskets are close to other hole tees. Since I'm not sure that this course gets much traffic it may not be an issue but it is a possibility that someone could take an Ape to the Dome

Do not remember benches or trashcans anywhere.

Natural Pads(maybe a con for you)
Other Thoughts: This layout reminds me of Kelsey Scott Park in Salisbury NC. With multiple tees that have a variety of challenges this course can be used by players of many skill levels and could be a good course to develop your game. If you are in the area and have some free time it is defiantly worth a play!

Not all that challenging/ a little hard to navigate

1    8/26/2011   8/26/2011
Review By: NCSU2002
Pros: There are 3 tee locations for each of the 9 baskets, so we played through on Blue, then played again from White and that made for a decent 18. Things are pretty well groomed and we didn't have any lost discs. Park was not crowded at all and we were the only ones there.
Cons: Sort of hard to find your way around, for example, right off the bat the blue and white tees for number 1 are unexpectedly across the road from most of the course. There is a system of colored bricks that point you to the next tee, but they are faded and the course does not flow particularly well. Course is pretty easy by any standard and I had no trouble playing below par my first time. And as someone else mentioned the longer tees on #9 are ridiculous, really long and the whole lane to the basket is overhung with tree branches. I tried it right, left, whatever and it took like 4-5 strokes each time. Sometimes the tees are only colored (faded) pavers placed into the grass.
Another note, the Red/Orange Tees seem ridiculously short to me(we only played a couple) but for that reason I definetly don't consider it a 27 hole course
Other Thoughts: Probably won't be driving an hour to play this one again, but if it were a bit closer I would try it a couple more times

Actually kind of fun.

1    7/22/2010   7/23/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Three sets of tees, Decent use of elevation, half moderately wooded and half open. I played from the blue paver stones as well but if I alternated from blue to red I think I would have had a pretty fun 18 holes. The way the holes and park is laid out, if you don't like a specific tee, you can easily safari all over the place. The fairways are defined enough and fairly devoid of branches and miscellaneous rough. The baskets catch well and are easy to spot from the tee although a few require a little pacing up or beside the fairway to see them. The colored bricks that guide you to the different tees are a neat idea but their color is starting to fade. The tees are natural but they're in good shape. Most of the fairways are fairly easy to hit, not too much challenge in terms of tightness. Definitely a birdie fest.

The park is very well-maintained I think, the grass was nicely cut and short. Not very secluded though because it plays around a baseball field for a couple of holes and there are some houses that are literally right there on other holes.
There's also the most impressive horseshoe pit complex I've ever seen.
Cons: No tees or signs and those paver stones that mark the tee are a B-word to find. Not a course I'd play for the first time if I was on a strict time frame. The rough is kind of scruffy but it's not too bad.

Hole # 6 has some nasty rough on its left side, swampy, tall grass that's really sharp.

Some of the holes overlap a little depending on the tees and God forbid if this course was crowded b/c it would be like the no man's land between the trenches of WWI.

The blue tee from hole #9 is ridiculous, there is almost no space to penetrate through the hedges and dogwood type trees that are directly in front of the tee. It's really annoying b/c #9 is one of the few decently long holes and you really can't air it out. It also has the park road directly left of the tee so a quick tree kick left can easily hit a car leaving or entering the park.
Other Thoughts: This is actually the most fun at a 9 holer I think I've had. It's fairly short but if you have some imagination and time to kill you can have a good time here.

Feels like: A 9-hole, safari version of North Asheboro Park.

I love the name of this park!

1    8/23/2008   10/21/2008
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 8/27/2011
Pros:
I played the Blue tees, so this review reflects that layout.

Three sets of tees on each hole gives variety.
There are many painted bricks as guide markers; they took a lot of work to put down.
Cons:
The tee Signs are only round painted paver stones, that are flush to the ground, so the next tees can be hard to spot. You need to use your tracking skills to follow the colored guide bricks that are flush with the ground, especially since the three tees often diverge in 3 different directions.
The tees are not framed, they're just dirt or grass with markers in the front, and some are bumpy.
Several holes need to be cleared more of random trees in the fairway.
There are few amenities: no map, no score cards, no warm up basket, no message board with instructions about the 3 layouts. There are restrooms, though.
Blue tees Course Level: Red (most suited for Juniors and Intermediate players rated 825-875)

The course is short, 1490/ 2085/ 2120 ft., so it's most suited to short throwing players. The Orange layout has a 90 ft hole that is a true CR Par 2. By contrast, hole 9, at 400 ft., is a very long hole for Red level players. There is little length variety (Blue tees: 3 of 150-190/ 5 of 200-290/ 1 of 400).
I thought that the terrain was a little below average. The woods are kind of scruffy.
Although the course is best for short throwers such as juniors, new players, seniors, and some women, it's also mostly in the woods, so less skilled players will also be whacking lots of trees, and that may be frustrating for them.
On the many very short holes you expect to score a 2 and feel like you've lost a throw if you don't.
There are slight elevation changes on most holes (2 Flat/ 2 Up/ 5 Down), but from the blue tee hole 1 has a drop of ~30ft.

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm always trying to improve my reviews, so if you mark this review unhelpful or if you find a mistake, please send me a personal message here on DGCR to tell me what is wrong with it. I'll be grateful for the feedback.

Short but fun

8/4/2008   8/4/2008
Review By: Mystery
Pros: This is a nine hole course with three tees, making it versitile. Each tee box is marked by a trail of bricks from the last hole. The tees are natural. This course is extremely easy to navigate once you find the pattern. The Orange tees are good to introduce players to the game or for juniors/seniors.
There was lots of diversity in the types of holes. All holes are very close to the restrooms and parking lots.
Cons: This is an extremely short course. This is not for the advanced player. The blue tees will challenge you on a couple of holes.The white and blue tee for hole 1 is not easy to find until you have completed hole 9. The teeing area of most holes are not level.
Other Thoughts: It would be easier to find the tees if there was a marker above the ground at the tee box.

Short and Fun

5+    12/14/2008   8/3/2008
Review By: YonderScott
This review was updated on 7/17/2009
Pros: Easy to navigate, they have bricks painted the color of the tee layed out toward your next tee, as well they have the colors painted in an arrow along the walking trail. No trash. You are never far from your car. They have restrooms and a water fountain. The tees are set up on most holes to give you a completely different throw to the hole, making a 9 hole course into 27. There is a playground for the kids, a nice large horseshoe pit are, and a sand volleyball court. I've never seen more than a few players on the course.
Cons: Short, will only test distance on the last hole from the blue tee. There are no benches, but there is a shelter to sit under between rounds.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my rounds here. The orange tees are really short so if you have kids tagging along, or a girlfriend that doesn't play often, they have tees they can play from. I wouldn't recommend driving a long distance to play this course, but if you are in the area to play the beautiful Fox Chase course it is worth stopping to play since Fox is only about 17 or so miles away. I gave this a 2.5 because I really enjoy playing this course when I'm in the area, but it's mainly a midrange and putt course.

Update-As of December a couple of the tees had been moved or in the process of being moved.