Troutdale, OR
Dabney State Park Share
Uploaded By: JMONEY Hole #16 (Taken 5/2012)

1    5/20/2015   5/20/2015
Review By: JerichoBronco
This review was updated on 7/1/2015
Pros: Beautiful area
Long tee pads
Cons: The signs are horrible. Many of the pictures on the signs don't correlate with the actual basket position. For example one hole showed a 298 shot straight up the middle, but the actual basket position was a hzyer shot. Not even close. I noticed this on 3-4 signs. Add to that the 2-4 missing ones and that's almost 1/2 the signs that are actually correct. The distances were off way off on some of the signs too.
[EDIT] went back and they had changed the course, signs now lined up with the layout. Didn't know there was a winter layout, that's the kind of thing that should be posted!!!
Other Thoughts: I had high hopes for this course with the high course rating on this site. I walked away feeling cheated. They really need to help transition between holes with arrows. Lots of undergrowth, if you miss your line you could easily be spending quite a bit of time searching for your disc. Caution on hole #5 if you go left too far say goodbye to your disc. Knee high growth in a marshy area.
I liked the front 1/2 of the course better than the back. Good variety of shots needed. I liked the over the first hole nice technical anny, 2nd hole was a nice pond throw, although the tee sign was way off for the basket position. Next few holes were ok, then I think it's hole #7 is a tight hzyer which was a great hole and then #8 was my favorite hole a downhill anhyzer with lots of brush if you don't turn it over. I'd rate the front half a 3.5.
The backside had several holes that seemed the same, 250ish foot slight anhyzer shots. Would like to have seen more variety. Back half was nothing special, there were a few holes with some nice technical lines but I'd rate the back half 3. So if there was a 3.25 option that's how I would rate the overall course.
Course isn't long. I used my mids almost as much as my driver for tee shots (I'm not a long driver 325ish on avg). So the course is definitely more about the technical shot over long distance.
When I wrote this review this course was the 9th highest rated course in the entire state. Sorry but NO it's not. If you make a special trip to play this over the other courses in the area you are making a mistake There are better courses close by. If you pick this course over Milo you chose wrong.
If you have played all those other courses and are looking for a new course to check off your list then it is definitely worth playing. It's not a bad course at all, it's just overrated on this site. It's like that movie you hear so much about then you watch it. It's not that it's bad, you actually like but, it's just you just had your hopes artificially set too high by hype.
[EDIT] Played again but my review doesn't change much. Let me be clear, this is a good course. You should play this course. But it's just over hyped on this site.

18 different holes!

2-4    1/31/2014   2/3/2014
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: Every hole plays different...you just don't pull out your main driver at every tee box. Long holes/short holes in trees/right hand benders/left hand benders and plenty of trees to make it technical but not overly hard. Even in the winter is was a good time. Good pads and mostly good signs. (I did download the map from this site and I used it for the first until hole 11, then after that the course is pretty easy to follow.)
Cons: Oregon parks are pay to park and it works okay for me. Don't remember any trash cans or bathrooms. Hole signs for a couple holes (4 & 5 I think) are mislabeled. I heard that the course route was changed. Hole #6 for first timers needs a arrow down before the bridge showing that the basket is up and across the bridge. It didn't match the map. Not really major cons.
Other Thoughts: I liked playing here. It is a decent course and fun.

Decent challenge, but short hole length

1    9/19/2011   9/20/2011
Review By: b-mart
This review was updated on 3/13/2012
Pros: Concrete tee pads. High quality baskets. The variation in terrain was solid, with open shots as well as wooded, and one hole across a pond. There isn't a ton of elevation change, but the land is used creatively and there aren't many easy birdies on the course. The fact that you're playing in a multi-use park but are separated from all other activities is priceless. I love how much more technical some of the holes are than you might expect. It might kill your score, but when you get a lucky shot (which is what it takes on holes like 6 in the alternate position) it completely makes your day.
Cons: Pay to play. The signs were clearly outdated, with many of the pins in "alternate" position with the signs only showing one possible shot. Adding an arrow in Sharpie doesn't count. The basket for hole number 9 was missing completely. The signs on the tees that seemed to be accurate on where the pin was seemed to be off in relation to the distances.

**UPDATE** The missing basket from hole 9 was replaced, and a new hole 1 was put in so they could remove 18. I thought this was a good idea, because the old 18 was kind of a joke. The signage needs to be updated even more now, as there are alternate pin placements that aren't shown and every hole is the number on the sign plus one. I also have to point out that about 90% of the teepads have trash cans beside them, yet there was trash everywhere on the course. Show some respect.
Other Thoughts: I played this course in September, so nothing was overgrown. I did run into one group who was searching for a disc, but other than that this course seemed pretty easy in that regard. I hear that springtime is a monster though. There was a decent amount of challenge due to trees, but compared to many courses that I've played this is pretty easy. I just didn't see enough of a challenge to justify the $5 parking fee, but would absolutely recommend this course to any discer living in the area. I would recommend it to any visitor too, but don't walk away feeling like your money was well spent compared to Pier Park or most of the (all free) 18 hole courses in the Seattle area.

If you find or lose a disc, stay away from the "lost disc" lockbox. The padlock is missing, so it is being used as a trashcan. If you find a disc, call the number on it and do your best to return it. If you can't return it, I'm sure Next Adventure or the Disc Golf Depot will help the original owner to get it back.

**UPDATE** They finally put a lock on the "found discs" box, but I'm sure it's still full of trash.

Hm, tough for a beginner

1    7/20/2009   7/21/2009
Review By: didy22
Pros: Great walk through the course with very few people. It's off the road enough to be quiet and you can listen to the birds do their thing. The course has varying elevations and tight turns to navigate. It's one of the few courses in this area that incorporates a water hazard.
Cons: Certainly an element of luck if one throws well. Awful if you do not bring a map with you. Most baskets are not visible from the pads and if you don't know where you are going you will be throwing blind. Very overgrown in areas and some baskets are placed behind tree groves.
Other Thoughts: Don't throw it into the pond on hole #2. I attempted to go in to get a disc someone threw in there and it's not possible. It looks benign...only about 2-3 feet deep, but there is another foot of sludge that will cement you in the second you put weight on your first submerged foot. I don't recommend taking that second step :)