Troutdale, OR
Dabney State Park Share
Uploaded By: JMONEY Hole #12 (Taken 5/2012)

1 2 3 4 Next >

3/14/2008   3/14/2008
Review By: gwillim
Pros:
-Mostly decent tee pads (hole three is an exception!)
-Decent Tee signs
-Baskets acceptable
-Nice variety of tee shots
-Fun in winter & early spring (before things grow)
-Good variety in hole length
-Good variety of woodsy tight shots
-Fair for lefty and righty
-Plenty of trash cans to dispose of beer
-Fun events to participate in
-Multiple pin positions add awesome variety
Cons:
-Too many shots where luck is the biggest factor
-Even with the trash cans everywhere, ppl still feel a need to throw their beer cans in all over the course
-During spring, summer, and early fall, I don't suggest playing this course. The stinging nettles grow rampant all over, up to six feet tall, the blackberry bushes mask any possibility of finding a disc that ricocheted off a tree. The "gorge" on the last few holes is inaccessible and even if you can get into it, you won't find your plastic.
-Car vandalism is a big problem at Dabney. Cars are often broken into and the thieves steal everything inside they can take. This is a problem for all Oregon State Park parking lots, but Dabney is worse than most.
Other Thoughts: Dabney is a fun course in winter, if you're accustomed to Oregon winter golf. For the summer, I avoid Dabney like the plague. I don't enjoy throwing excellent drives, that somehow knick a tree you didn't see, and then soar off into nowhere land, never to be recovered. I don't mind losing discs, but losing discs from good throws is really frustrating.

The overall course design is decent, there are some really fun tee-shots, and the greens are all well protected, sometimes a bit too much.

If I could give this course a rating for how it plays in the winter, I'd give it a 3.5. For summer golf, I'd give it a 2. It's a Dr. Jekyl and Mr Hyde kind of scenario in my opinion.

They Don't Call It Grab-Me For No Reason!

8/8/2001   2/22/2008
This review was updated on 3/14/2008
Pros: The course has a nice physical setting to work with including water to challenge, deep, deep gorges, lovely NW forrests, big open air throws and elevation changes. It's well marked with excellent tees signs and has nice benches everywhere. I especially like the #2 hole where you have the choice to throw over the pond (not that far) or you can play safe and go around. A deuce is the reward, probably a lost disc is the penalty unless you brought snorkling gear..
Cons: I don't really like courses where there is too great a risk of losing discs, I'm sorry, I grow too attached to my favorites. And at Dabney there are a couple of holes where if your disc sails wide left, it's lost into the deepest, darkest, most meanacing thorny-ass, filled gorge and there's no need to even bother looking. And the worse news, your best option might be to tee it up again! Some players thrive on that pressure.
Other Thoughts: The locals have nicknamed the course "Grab-Me" because this course tends to grab your disc, never to be seen again. In spite of this, it's lovely! it's worth the trip, it's challenging! Just bring extra plastic!

Amazing

7/30/2004   7/30/2007
Review By: innovaetor
Pros: I can't say anything bad, ok maybe a little, but man is this a nice course. It starts with beautiful t-signs and benches, and then you start playing. The front 9 is relativly open with small trees, a pond and blackberry bushes to challenge your accuracy. Then the back 9 goes into the woods and 4 or 5 holes skirt along a nasty gorge that will cost you some strokes if you can't stay out of it. Wow, now I wish I was in Oregon.
Cons: You might lose a disc, but if that is going to stop you......I know where there is a shuffleboard court you can play on, I'm sure the old folks will teach you how to play.

1 2 3 4 Next >