West Gardiner, ME
CR Farm Disc Golf Share

A Beautiful Wooded Farm

1    10/5/2013   10/8/2013
Review By: el_duder
Pros: +Basics: Baskets are all in great condition, concrete tee pads are nice.

+Layout Navigation: I didn't have any issues. The place has nice paths and next tee signs.

+Challenge: This course is a nice technical test and really forces a good variety of shots and gives players an opportunity to work out their mids.

+Extras: There are garbage cans everywhere, I believe there were a couple port-a-potties around, nicely stocked pro shop, dog friendly, pretty good value at $5/rnd and excellent value at $8/day.

+Scenery: I suspect most courses in Maine get a little boost from the scenery up there. It's just a very pretty place.
Cons: -Tee Signs: Very basic and carved into wood. They function well and are only barely worth pointing out as a con.

-Repetition: I feel like some of the holes were a little repetitive. I'd have to play the course a few more times, but I recall getting that "I've seen this before" feeling while standing on a few of the teepads.

-Par 5's: I don't think I played particularly well on the par 5's and managed to birdie two them and par the other. I think they would be very challenging par 4's but they're kind of easy par 5's. I guess it will depend on your skill level, but I'm barely an 880 rated player and felt they should be par 4's. Note, I didn't play 19-21 so those holes aren't factored into this minor con. I'll have to re-evaluate this whenever I get back to play again.
Other Thoughts: This was my first course in Maine, a beautiful place to go for a relaxing vacation. My brother and I hit this place up on our way from Portland to Surry. CR Farm is located within a short distance of 295 and it takes very little effort to hop off the highway for a round. I'm not really accustomed to pay-to-play courses, but this seems like a fairly priced course, especially at $8 for the day. You get great scenery, an superbly maintained course, great amenities, and a solid challenge with a healthy dose of fun.

Unfortunately, I only played through 18 holes due to a sore elbow. The last three holes looked like some great bomber holes, but I just couldn't let them rip without agitating my elbow.

This course is a technical one and as such, I was right at home with pulling mids and putters and focusing on shot placement over distance. For the most part the course is a bunch of par 3's that will reward a great shot with a birdie and punish bad shots. The par 5's are all really nice holes I'm just not sure they should be par 5's (as mentioned). Holes 9 and 17 also stood out to me a great holes. 9 throws a short distance over a small pond and then up a narrow tunnel. 17 is one of the few holes I can think of that had some elevation factor into the layout.

I really wish I could have aired out some throws on the final three holes but I really had a great time playing through 18. There is enough of a challenge for all skill levels, although newer players will struggle, until they develop a good variety of shots. My brother has only played disc golf twice and threw a lot of bogies, but not too many double bogies. He commented a few times that he wished he had a flick. Overall, I'd definitely recommend spending the day at CR Farm and look forward to stopping next time I'm in Vacationland.

I'd like to give this a 3.75, because I can't quite give it a 4 so I'm going with the 3.5.