Anchorage, AK
Hanshew Middle School Share

Great Short Course!

1    6/25/2013   6/27/2013
Review By: SomeChump
Pros: This is a great, short, flat course. You only need one tip to avoid getting lost. It has pretty new signs with accurate lengths and a mix of concrete and dirt tee pads. If you play all concrete as OB (including the hockey rink), it's a little harder too.

The harder shots are short shots through heavily treed areas and avoiding pavement.

All baskets are there and all tee signs are up at this time.
Cons: It's short, flat, and easy. I play intermediate in tournaments and I shot 6 birdies (out of 9 holes) on my first round at this course for a -4. If I played it again I'm confident I could do a -6 or -7. 200 foot holes just aren't that tough. I threw a driver on 8 as a flick (I don't flick very far) and I threw a mid on 6 (but probably could have reached with a putter.) I drove a putter on the rest of the holes.

Mosquitoes can be bad here just like anywhere else in Anchorage this time of year. I'm sure it's worse at other courses.

They used disccatcher sport baskets instead of the more heavy duty baskets that would have been appropriate for a permanent course. As a result several are broken already.
Other Thoughts: The one tip you need is to get from hole 7 to hole 8. Walk, on the pavement, around the school until you see the hole 8 sign. Tee off on the road next to the sign.

good place to start

2-4    8/10/2010   8/29/2010
Review By: gdogg4250
Pros: Good place for someone just starting out, or just to practice your short game. It's all par 3 holes, and very forgiving.
Cons: A few holes missing...only has the posts where the basket should be.
Other Thoughts: Take out what you take in...only leave your footprint

1    6/13/2008   10/16/2009
Review By: CC35
Pros: Rarely another group to be seen on this course. Great place to practice.
Cons: Short. Not difficult except for to two holes with lots of trees.
Other Thoughts: Plays on school grounds so like all courses make sure to throw your trash away. Saw beer cans in the woods. Pretty sure these were from players and not students.