Jefferson City, TN
Carson-Newman College DGC Share
Uploaded By: wesford Hole #6 (Taken 5/2011)

Good Luck!

1    5/4/2013   4/5/2014
Review By: Baysinger
Pros: Best part about the course is holes #4 and #2. Reason I say this is because of the obsticles in place. On hole #2 there are some kind of concrete structures (columns) to the right side of your drive. Just kind of neat to throw along outside of the norm obsticles I think. On hole #4 there is a tunnel/bridge that you can choose to throw either through or over the top. Of course the funnest way to do it is to throw through! Check it out in the pictures its actually pretty neat! Besides that the only other pro I can think of is that it would be a fun way for college students to get some outdoors activity after class. And it is also great to put courses on college courses to get people who have never heard of disc golf to gain interest! The more courses on college grounds the more people will hear about it and more interest means more courses! So you gotta commend this course for that at the least!
Cons: No tee pads and no signs! Markers are VERY hard to find... even with the "course map" located on here. They are basically just a brick with a mailbox number. My suggestion is to print the map out so you can at least have a basic idea where to throw from. Definitely could be a saftey hazard of a course as the holes weave their ways in and out of the different buildings on campus.
Other Thoughts: When we played this course, we had the map and ended up pulling out a sharpee and marking on it with the propper driving paths that lined up with the markers/baskets in case we ever played this course again. It is about 25 minutes from my house and I haven't went back... it has been close to a year. Hope this gives you an idea of my desire to play this course again. Although I am sure I will evently give it another try it's not a desire. We spent most of our time looking for the tee markers than we did playing disc golf. We looked for the marker for hole #10 for about 15 minutes and never found it so we left and didn't finish the course. I had put pictures of holes 1-9 from down on the ground where the tee markers were looking up towards the baskets to try and help better chances of people finding the markers but DGCR took them off. The addition of above ground level markers would be a huge plus. Tee pads and signs are not 100% necessary on a course but you gotta know where to tee of or there is no use in even trying it out. Until they make some changes to make the markers easier to find I wouldnt waste your time on this course. I'm sure it's fun for college students who frequent it and know exactly where each tee position is but its a nightmare for first time players. Oh and it's been close to a year since I have played it so i'm not 100% sure but I think the whole #2 marker is in a completely different position than what the map shows.

To hard to find tees

1    9/21/2013   10/8/2013
Review By: JRick
Pros: The only pro i found is that it would be hard to loose a disc.
Cons: Tees are hard to find i had a map that i found online and it did not help at all. Even when i did finally find a tee spot i walked over it because its one little brick in the ground with a number on it. Could not finsh just got tired of walking around aimlessly.
Other Thoughts: Maybe find a student that might help. They could just out a pole in the ground with a number that would help alot.

C- = needs more development

1    8/22/2009   9/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
(There is really not too much punishment anywhere for bad shots that will add an extra stroke to you score for a bad throw.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B-
(Actually, this course with the lengths and obstacles is actually pretty good for my skill level. Deuces are rewarding on this course when throwing DG discs. I think it is designed for students throwing frisbees, so most holes turn into legitimately good Par-4's for that.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B-
(Given the space available, the designer did a good job of creating holes with a good variety of shot shapes, low ceilings and good use of terrain.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C
(The campus is picturesque, but it falls short in its ability to recharge my batteries by getting away from it all.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Cons: It is marked very poorly. I found most of the tees (but not many of the alt tees) but spent a lot of time doing so. Keep in mind this course is for people who live there, so once they figure out the course, this drawback becomes MUCH smaller. But, for first timers, it is a royal pain.

Transitions from basket to next tee are not intuitive and many require a pretty long walk.
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (149 18-hole, 91 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Invisible Tees

1    7/16/2009   7/16/2009
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 7/18/2009
Pros: This course is set on the main block of Carson-Newman's campus. The campus is nice and well-kept. The grass is well-maintained with isolated, mature trees as obstacles as well as campus buildings, light posts, etc. There are 9 nice Innova Discatchers, I physically saw them all.
Cons: There are no tee/hole signs. The tees are brick markers and there are supposedly 2 sets of them per hole, but the problem is you can't find them. The bricks are flush with the ground, but even with freshly mowed grass, the thick grass still covers them up. Unless you knew exactly where the tee markers were it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. You end up just making up tees. It is essentially 9 baskets spread around campus.

#4 and #9 baskets were hard to find because they were outside the main block of where all the other baskets are (see below), and we did not actually find them until we were leaving and then we happened to spy them from the car.

There was no course map available, and the courteous worker at the main building knew the disc golf course existed, but did not know of any maps of the course.
Other Thoughts: If you do decide to play, be prepared to make up your own tees, or somehow find somebody who knows where they are to guide you (and good luck with that!)

Most of the baskets are visible.
#1 and #8 are by the admissions building and library.
#2 plays between two buildings down to the street corner to the right of #1, walk around the building until you see it.
#3,5,6,7 are all behind this large building in the middle of the block
#4 is across the road past #3, you can't see it as it is hidden behind the hill, almost in a hole.
#9 is across the road in front of the admissions building.

Unless you like making up your own course, this is one you should skip. If someone could make a map of the tees this could be a pretty enjoyable, leisurely college course.