Jefferson City, TN
Carson-Newman College DGC Share
Uploaded By: wesford Hole #4 (Taken 5/2011)
Hole #4/#13 Basket

1 2 Next >
 C- = needs more development

1    8/22/2009   9/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
(There is really not too much punishment anywhere for bad shots that will add an extra stroke to you score for a bad throw.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B-
(Actually, this course with the lengths and obstacles is actually pretty good for my skill level. Deuces are rewarding on this course when throwing DG discs. I think it is designed for students throwing frisbees, so most holes turn into legitimately good Par-4's for that.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B-
(Given the space available, the designer did a good job of creating holes with a good variety of shot shapes, low ceilings and good use of terrain.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C
(The campus is picturesque, but it falls short in its ability to recharge my batteries by getting away from it all.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Cons: It is marked very poorly. I found most of the tees (but not many of the alt tees) but spent a lot of time doing so. Keep in mind this course is for people who live there, so once they figure out the course, this drawback becomes MUCH smaller. But, for first timers, it is a royal pain.

Transitions from basket to next tee are not intuitive and many require a pretty long walk.
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (149 18-hole, 91 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Invisible Tees

1    7/16/2009   7/16/2009
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 7/18/2009
Pros: This course is set on the main block of Carson-Newman's campus. The campus is nice and well-kept. The grass is well-maintained with isolated, mature trees as obstacles as well as campus buildings, light posts, etc. There are 9 nice Innova Discatchers, I physically saw them all.
Cons: There are no tee/hole signs. The tees are brick markers and there are supposedly 2 sets of them per hole, but the problem is you can't find them. The bricks are flush with the ground, but even with freshly mowed grass, the thick grass still covers them up. Unless you knew exactly where the tee markers were it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. You end up just making up tees. It is essentially 9 baskets spread around campus.

#4 and #9 baskets were hard to find because they were outside the main block of where all the other baskets are (see below), and we did not actually find them until we were leaving and then we happened to spy them from the car.

There was no course map available, and the courteous worker at the main building knew the disc golf course existed, but did not know of any maps of the course.
Other Thoughts: If you do decide to play, be prepared to make up your own tees, or somehow find somebody who knows where they are to guide you (and good luck with that!)

Most of the baskets are visible.
#1 and #8 are by the admissions building and library.
#2 plays between two buildings down to the street corner to the right of #1, walk around the building until you see it.
#3,5,6,7 are all behind this large building in the middle of the block
#4 is across the road past #3, you can't see it as it is hidden behind the hill, almost in a hole.
#9 is across the road in front of the admissions building.

Unless you like making up your own course, this is one you should skip. If someone could make a map of the tees this could be a pretty enjoyable, leisurely college course.

If it's your only option

1    5/16/2008   11/26/2008
Review By: jettaria
Pros: nice baskets
Cons: no tee pads
no signs
Other Thoughts: I played this out of curiosity. It flows through Carson Newman College campus, which is a decent campus, but no one knew anything about the course we asked everyone that we saw about the layout and everyone was oblivious to the fact that they even had a course. Anyway we trodded off on our own determined to play. the tee pads are natural grass marked by a brick in the ground. we found 2 bricks the whole time, so we basically made our own tee pads. Because this is on campus, you have to watch for people...and cars...and buildings. I almost hit all three. Did i mention street signs? I did hit one of those. Now maybe that is indicative of my skills, but I'm not exactly a beginner. Those of you who are adventurous and just want a change of scenery, have at it. Otherwise I would venture elsewhere.

1 2 Next >