Russell Gulch, CO
Ghost Town Share
Uploaded By: markjfun Hole #13 (Taken 9/2011)
3 / 238ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Looking east from hole #9 tee toward hole #13 tee and fairway

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Something new and something old

1    9/6/2014   9/15/2014
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: I've traveled a little and been to a few ghost towns at this point, hiked through one and now I can say I have played a DGC through one as well. Some of the buildings are still in amazing shape while others have seen better days. These buildings were built on the dream of striking it rich in mining, are from the 1890's and are the only thing left standing from those dreams. The history and the ambiance of this place combined with the great golf is reason enough to make the trip out here. This is a must play for those reasons.

Others aren't fans of 'artificial' or 'manufactured' out of bounds but I think with this course it not only makes sense to keep players away from private land not owned by the disc course but also makes the course more challenging when picking your landing zones. At every tee and most times within the circle you also have to play smart. I love courses that make you think about your shot instead of just throw your disc towards the basket and not have to worry about anything and you end up with a two or three 90% of the time. This is the sort of course you could play in the morning and shoot a 45 and then your afternoon round could be a 65! Love it!

Holes two (2) and seven (7) are the toughest of the bunch out here and my favorites as well. Hole two is a blind uphill constantly dog legging right to left with out of bounds running up the right side of the fairway all the way to the basket up near a small mound on the top of the hill. Hole seven is a nastily wooded hole with several lines to the basket from the pad but none of them look easy at all. At over 350 feet even if you hit the line you need a bit of distance and luck to get you to the basket for a birdie and if you hit something early you could be looking at bogey at best.
Cons: When you reach the more open holes near the start of the back nine the course gets tighter but in a different way; the OB lines ease but the other fairways come closer. The owner takes tee times so this shouldn't be an issue most of the time but it's something to look for if you are playing a tournament or just casual golf and several groups are next to one another.

I mention this here because I understand some people are bothered by it but for me it is not an issue and that is the $5 to play. Honestly this is not a con and if it is a con to you there are several other options around town and no one is forcing you to come and play the course. The funky rules (2 and 3 stroke penalties, etc.) are fun but if you don't like them you don't have to play it that way if you don't want.

Parking!!!! There are maybe four or five legit parking spots for the entire course. We had to squeeze into a spot that really wasn't meant to be squeezed into and only then did we move our car after hanging out in the pro shop for a bit and seeing someone leave. The neighbors seem like they don't mind the course there, if one of them were smart they would charge for addition parking for something. Not sure what they do during a tournament here.
Other Thoughts: This course is like nothing else and I highly recommend checking it out even though it's out in the middle of the nowhere in the mountains. Sure there is some OB and sure the lines are tight and sure there are funky rules and it's mainly a pitch and putt but it really doesn't matter as the cons are what you make of them. Just go and have fun and take in the history, peace and quiet and unique property of the course. Also Brian in the pro shop has some Ghost Town shirts, discs etc. that are pretty neat, have great designs and are extremely cheap!

DGC of dreams

2-4    6/20/2014   7/2/2014
Review By: bcos4life
Pros: This course will challenge everything in your game in multiple ways.

It has the best level changes I've ever played. Consistently moving the level of your shots will add to the round.

Distances go from true ace shots to bombs.

You will have the tightest of windows, followed by wide open shots. It's awesome how quickly the layout will change.

The amount of blin shots makes you really pay attention to your disc location, and focus on the shot... not a lot of recovery to be had.

A lot of people don't like the excessive OB, but in a tight mountain course surrounded by private property, what are you gonna do?

Signage is legendary. Shovel heads everywhere, beautiful park sign, and OB markers that fit in with the scenery.

Best views I've ever seen.
Cons: Very few things to complain about... but if I am nitpicky:

The tee pads are super short. Almost impossible to bomb on the distance holes. He has a good reason... hard to pour concrete up there... but still too short.

While I like most of the OB's, the island ones are a bit trivial. You throw a good disc dead down the fairway and get an OB? No thanks.

The hike to one is a little rough. At 9,000 feet, it is already hard to get around, but that hike is killer.
Other Thoughts: I've heard from multiple people that you "play through a ghost town"... it isn't true. You play next to one, and are punished if you happen to hit a building. Never the less, THE most beautiful and interesting course I've ever played. Totally lives up to the hype.

Ghostly Mountain Course

1    10/14/2013   4/11/2014
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: +Very unique mountain setting in a real 'Ghost Town'. Great character at this course.
+Lots of fun ups and downs
+Probably never crowded to due the need for a reservation and P2P
+Some tight holes and some pretty open holes
+Brian gives you a map and all tees are marked. It was always obvious which basket I was supposed to be shooting at. Navigation was solid here. The shovel heads at each tee were helpful and added to the charm of the course.
+Tees were good enough for this course. You don't need a long run-up, if you did the tees might be a little short.
+A pro shop with many cool items including discs, shirts, paintings, etc.
+Between actual hole variation and variation in scenery, this course kept me guessing and never was boring.
Cons: -Not a lot of variation in length. Most holes were on the shorter side.
-Manufactured OB all over, I do understand why it is in place but it still isn't my favorite obstacle. There are other rules regarding noise and hitting things but again, I understand why they are in place. Still worthy of a mention.
-Some of the baskets were older, often single chained and didn't catch quite as well as others. Many baskets are replaced and I assume the remaining old ones are being replaced as money comes into the course.
-I played alone, near dusk and it was a little creepy! Maybe this ghost town is haunted.
Other Thoughts: -I had first played this course last fall and wanted to have the chance to play it again before I reviewed it. I don't do that often. I also don't want to come back and play courses as often as I do this one. I wanted to play on my 3 day trip last week but was unable due to recent snowfalls.
-This course is definitely worth the $5 donation and drive into the mountains. If you are traveling here in the summer, there are many courses in the mountains beyond here to check out.

Flatlander got WOWED!

1    10/13/2013   10/14/2013
Review By: Guitarlos
This review was updated on 4/6/2014
Pros: Im a flatlander and this was my first DGC in any mountain setting. I was awakened as to how tough uphill shots can be!

This course was rather tight width of the fairways, lots of trees which added to the scenery and accuracy of your shot. Each hole seemed to offer a different throw and philosophy as to how to approach each tee basket. Peeps seem to not like the "unofficial" baskets, to me, it added to the theme of the course!! Left handers, uphills, downhills, doglegs, blind shots as well as a few distance open shots. This place has it all with the exception of long (over 350) holes. If it had one, I would have rated it as a 5 and not a 4.5.

I though that the course was designed very well and the upkeep was great conditions! Brian and Beth put in lots of time with marking the OB area. I've read where some think it was overkill, but my opinion is that it added to the play altogether. They do have neighbors, so if you have any inherit etiquette, you would realize why the OB was so meticulous to detail! OB markers ranged from old logs, sticks, old fences, rocks etc. Great variety.

I played 18 by myself and I just wanted to enjoy myself and take it all in hole by hole. I wasn't rushed at all, no one was creepin on me nor I to others. The call ahead tee time was a fantastic idea and I think it adds to your game experience. The $5.00 fee was minuscule compared to the great experience I had today!
Cons: Only can I can stretch to be nitpicky was more my fault than the design of the course, but there were areas that were rather soggy and I did get my feet wet a little. Had I stayed on the preferred flight path, this wouldn't have been an issue at all, a couple of slight degrees and off ya go. ;)

If you should get hit with a rain storm, there are two home made rain shelters on the course, rustic and cool!
Other Thoughts: I did not get to meet Brian, but Beth's hospitality was second to none! She took the the time to show me the course in a detailed hand to scale map (that Brian had drawn) of the course. She gave me a run down, hole by hole, being a noob to the mountains, it was very beneficial for me. She warned me to take it wasy on teh first 4 holes, as I wasnt being rushed at all and I may not be used ot the mountain climbing (she was right btw) She treated me as a friend and not a business entity. Great hospitality.

I had no issues getting to the course from downtown Denver. If you are new to this area and are staying in Denver area, I highly suggest taking 119 to 6 to go via the Canyon, unbelievable scenery! Thanks for that tip Beth!

The club house was awesome! Brains art adorns the walls inside. Discs with their logo, t shirts, coozies, and stickers were all for sale. Be sure to check out the cool art on the outside of the clubhouse.

The entire theme and setting of this course was like going to a theme park of Disc Golf. Awesome time was had by me, awesome weather, awesome day, just all around an awesome, fun, truly memorable day!

Troll's Review

1    10/12/2012   10/5/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Pros: Super cool course that plays through an old mining town
19 one of a kind baskets, tee signs and more!
loads of technicalities
Private Action!
Fantasy quality
A must do! it worth the fee and trip!
Cons: It could be longer in spots... as a disc golf junkie I always want more, holes, and fantasy featured courses will leave wanting more!
Other Thoughts: I hope I will see more of these private style fantasy courses!

A very cool, fun course.

1    9/7/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: OG Neal
Pros: -Unique course with some challenging shots.
-Old mining equipment and ruins of old buildings make for fun OB.
-Beautiful scenery
-Camper-shell dugouts on course for shade and relaxation
-Informative host who explains course (and a GD fan!)
-Interesting clubhouse/curiosity shop
Cons: -Starts really fun but kind of gets average towards the end
-Some OB is kind of arbitrary
-Extra short hole on #4 is unnecessary
-Really hard to find
Other Thoughts: I took my girlfriend who had never played a real course and she loved it. Definitely pleasing for females who like kitschy things.
I think the course could use a little fine tuning. There are some mandys that don't force your shot because of too much space on the mandy side. A few shots could be longer and if you play you will see some makeshift tees back and away from the tee pads.
A super fun course that I would recommend to anybody willing to make the drive.

Ghost towns & gold mines

1    9/1/2013   9/4/2013
Review By: Wook1
This review was updated on 9/5/2013
Pros: 19 unique holes that zig-zag across an old gold mining claim. Call ahead of time and see how busy the course is & being able to line up your round was a nice touch you don't get at many courses, the clubhouse is also an added bonus. After paying the $5 fee, course owner gives you a full run through of the layout. Detailed hand drawn course maps add to the rustic & somewhat gritty vibe you get at this course. Tee signs with hole # and distance are painted on old rusted shovel heads very clever use of "junk" also the homemade "rain shelters" throughout the course are great.

The first 6 holes are very tight with fairways being 20-50 ft wide at the most with a strict OB on each side. Ghost town has a mix of homemade and "official" pins. A few spots on this course you will tee off 2 discs and walk down to play your first and play the 2nd drive, hole 4 is the first of these. After finishing 3 climb up on rock face to your right and the tee off for 4s is in a crows nest on top of the rock. Dont go to your disc yet, climb down and walk over to the 4L tee and drive. Walk up and play your first drive to 4s pin, after continue play from your second drive. Cross the intersection to 6&7, which loop and re cross the intersection to 8. 9,10, & 11 are very close cutting back and forth across a Gully, reminded me of driving over a pond except with no water. This is also where the course starts to open up and you see the ruins and abandoned buildings that give this course it's namesake. 15 & 16 youll be teeing off 2 disc again, separate boxes for each, on the left side of this fairway is a ruined stone blacksmith's forge one of the coolest bunkers I've seen. 17 & 18 use the same fairway going in opposite directions be careful and if there's other players be sure they see you
Cons: Some of the homemade baskets need work, its obvious this course has a lot of personal touches and is a work of love, and like most works of love is continuously in progress. Since this was my first time experiencing ghost town Im not sure of their layout progress but it seems they are adding permanent "official" pins over time replacing the homemade.
Other Thoughts: Lots of OB but it's all fair and adds to the challenge of this course. Beautiful hand painted signs @ a few tee offs showing a detailed layout of fairway and pin placement

1    8/26/2013   8/26/2013
Review By: collinse
Pros: - Best kept course I've ever played!
- Each hole is unique in its own way with lots of care and thought.
- Scenery is unbeatable.
Cons: - Extremely tough to find.
- Wish the holes were a bit longer.
- GPS does not help.

A clubhouse!

1    8/15/2013   8/20/2013
Review By: a.sorensen
Pros:
- the course has a very nice clubhouse
- well maintained brick tee pads
- map and signage make it easy to navigate
- better scenery and terrain than any course that I have played
- good mix of long/short & open/technical holes
- amateur tee pads available
Cons:
- have to play holes 15 & 16 at the same time
- I was not a big fan of the dry ponds (OB) in the middle of the fairway on hole 4
Other Thoughts: Brian was very nice and very generous about letting out-of-towners play on his private land. You can tell that he has spent a lot of time working on the course.

Scary Drive ... Cool Course

1    7/18/2013   8/6/2013
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Ambiance - Ghost Town is a really cool place, and one of the more unique courses I have seen. There definitely is not another course that I have seen playing through ruins of an old mining community. The place has a great vibe. Brian is a really cool guy and has done an amazing job here.

Design - Elevation was used very well. Multiple shot-shapes are required. I used more discs in my bag at Ghost Town than on any other course in the Denver area.

Terrain Mix - The first 8 holes play up the ridge and back down. These holes are mostly wooded and provide a distinct challenge. The remaining holes are in the open, but there are plenty of challenges including a creek that is probably dry most of the time. However, we played during the "monsoon season" in the Rockies.
Cons: Baskets - Some of the baskets are home-made and simply don't catch as well. they're cool and all, from a novelty perspective, but expect a spit-out or four.

Random OB - There is OB on this course...everywhere. There are random OB gardens, often in the fairway and often very close to the baskets. As long as everyone is playing the same rules, it's a fair game. But if you're looking to shoot a low score and you have a putt hit the chains and land OB, you might get pretty heated.

Occasionally Eerie - I may get made fun of for this, and I didn't say anything to my friends during the round, but there were distinct times when I felt like I was being watched. Never felt so uncomfortable that I was ready to leave, but definitely odd. Maybe it was the elevation...or the creepy mannequin on the porch...who knows?
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the Ghost Town course. It was quirky, but still fun. I managed to stay out of OB for the entire round, which is nothing short of miracle. Brian is an excellent host and a very skilled painter. Shirts are for sale in the club-house and they are really neat.

If you're not in great physical shape, the first three holes can be a little bit demanding. But after that point, the hike becomes much less grueling.

My favorite holes are #15 and #16 (I think) in which you throw from each tee box, before going down into the shared fairway. #15's pin is tucked to the left (RHBH hyzer) with the ruins down the left side of the fairway and OB down the right. #16 is long and you can either play for the 3 and just throw down the fairway and upshot, or go for the birdie with a long hyzer or flex shot...but both are risky for RHBH with OB down the right.

Ghost town is an excellent course and if you're in Denver, you should make the drive and give it a shot. If your game is predicated on throwing 400 feet off the tee, you probably won't like it as much as others. $5 is a very reasonable price for the course.

As an aside, if you've made the trek out to Ghost Town, get back on I-70 West and go another exit or two farther and eat at Tommyknockers Brewery. Good food and a cool atmosphere. I also hear Beau Jos Pizza is good, but we opted for Tommyknockers. Great post-round meal.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5