Russell Gulch, CO
Ghost Town Share
Uploaded By: markjfun Hole #4 (Taken 9/2011)
"Ghost Town Rain Shelter" - an old camper at the abandoned campsite on hole #4

Very cool concept!

1    5/27/2015   6/8/2015
Review By: lineenil
Pros: Amazing area to put a course. The ghost town was very impressive and added a unique element that kept a smile on my face the entire time we played through it on the back nine. The secluded town in the mountains was the perfect setting.

Some tight and technical shots, as well as some island shots. Mostly short, but most add and interesting dynamic to shot. Some great use of the elevation.

The tee on hole 4 short is on top of a giant boulder and is a very cool look. I believe 9 was the giant shot over the wet land just short of the abandon town- definitely picture-esque.

Brian was a great host and we had no issues at all!
Cons: The wet areas in the middle are pretty bad, and is no fun walking in ankle deep water to get a stray disc. Definitely a couple unenjoyable moments.

Definitely don't want to hit the buildings! Also some residents nearby but nothing over the top by any means.

Other Thoughts: A few solid course! The muddy swampy areas do detract quite a bit from the enjoyment of a round, but an almost perfect course for sure.

A solid must play if in the area.

1    9/25/2014   1/25/2015
Review By: Money_Shot
Pros: -The theme surrounding this course is great, we loved having the shovels used as hole markers and in general the miners theme that goes along with the local territory. Very unique experience.

-this is in a small, secluded village area that really gives you a feeling of what the territory had to offer back in the gold mining days. Very cool.

-There are some very fun holes with plenty of ace looks throughout the course, making this in general a course tailored to those looking for a fun course more so than a serious competitive play.

-Primarily on flat land unlike most courses in the area that require great physical exertion while navigating. It's a bit of a breath of fresh air not having to put that kind of effort into every round although a few holes on this course require you to hike uphill of course.
Cons: -in general I felt like there wasn't a whole lot of shot variation, minimum slope interaction considering you are in the mountains, this course does not require you to throw up or down a whole lot.

-I understand that this is on private land and the owner of the course could only do what he had to work with, but that doesn't change the fact when rating the course that the "phantom" OB throughout this course can get very frustrating, especially when playing in competition with friends. I can recall one hole in particular I threw what appeared to be a potential ace shot using a high hyzer throw that landed safely about 3 feet from the pin and stuck on the spot . However, as I walked up to the pin I noticed about 2 ft from the pin between my disc and the basket was a log that I then found out was "OB." After spotting my disc at the point my disc originally crossed the "OB" line in flight and taking a stroke penalty I ended up getting a bogey on a hole I was about 3 feet from acing. Irritating, and this was not the only time the "OB" became a factor as just described. These boundaries are set up like this due to land ownership being tricky from what we were told.

-You have to be very quiet out on the course in fear of the neighbors getting upset and asking the owner to shut down shop, which no disc golfer would want as this is a fun course.
Other Thoughts: All in all we really enjoyed our experience on this course regardless of some of the quirks that come with having close neighbors to a good course. We really enjoyed the "theme" that this course offers and it was probably my second favorite course I played while in Colorado on a disc trip in September (Bucksnort #1). Without land ownership getting in the way, this course could definitely spread out a bit more and become even better, however, I would imagine this course is what it is always going to be. At points it did feel like we were kind of "walking on egg shells" out here with the boundaries and making sure not to be on neighbors land and being quiet etc. All the cons of this course are a result of the limitations of having neighbors who aren't disc golf enthusiasts and by no means a result of poor design or ownership so nothing as far as that is concerned can be changed. You will enjoy your experience here and I would definitely recommend you head up to this course if in the area. I have rated it a 4.5 because i could not rate it a 4.25 which is what i believe the course truly is. Since the course as a whole has a rating below what i believe it should be, i decided to round my rating up instead of down.

Something new and something old

1    9/6/2014   9/15/2014
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 5/26/2015
Pros: I've traveled a little and been to a few ghost towns at this point, hiked through one and now I can say I have played a DGC through one as well. Some of the buildings are still in amazing shape while others have seen better days. These buildings were built on the dream of striking it rich in mining, are from the 1890's and are the only thing left standing from those dreams. The history and the ambiance of this place combined with the great golf is reason enough to make the trip out here. This is a must play for those reasons.

Others aren't fans of 'artificial' or 'manufactured' out of bounds but I think with this course it not only makes sense to keep players away from private land not owned by the disc course but also makes the course more challenging when picking your landing zones. At every tee and most times within the circle you also have to play smart. I love courses that make you think about your shot instead of just throw your disc towards the basket and not have to worry about anything and you end up with a two or three 90% of the time. This is the sort of course you could play in the morning and shoot a 45 and then your afternoon round could be a 65! Love it!

Holes two (2) and seven (7) are the toughest of the bunch out here and my favorites as well. Hole two is a blind uphill constantly dog legging right to left with out of bounds running up the right side of the fairway all the way to the basket up near a small mound on the top of the hill. Hole seven is a nastily wooded hole with several lines to the basket from the pad but none of them look easy at all. At over 350 feet even if you hit the line you need a bit of distance and luck to get you to the basket for a birdie and if you hit something early you could be looking at bogey at best.
Cons: When you reach the more open holes near the start of the back nine the course gets tighter but in a different way; the OB lines ease but the other fairways come closer. The owner takes tee times so this shouldn't be an issue most of the time but it's something to look for if you are playing a tournament or just casual golf and several groups are next to one another.

I mention this here because I understand some people are bothered by it but for me it is not an issue and that is the $5 to play. Honestly this is not a con and if it is a con to you there are several other options around town and no one is forcing you to come and play the course. The funky rules (2 and 3 stroke penalties, etc.) are fun but if you don't like them you don't have to play it that way if you don't want.

Parking!!!! There are maybe four or five legit parking spots for the entire course. We had to squeeze into a spot that really wasn't meant to be squeezed into and only then did we move our car after hanging out in the pro shop for a bit and seeing someone leave. The neighbors seem like they don't mind the course there, if one of them were smart they would charge for addition parking for something. Not sure what they do during a tournament here.
Other Thoughts: This course is like nothing else and I highly recommend checking it out even though it's out in the middle of the nowhere in the mountains. Sure there is some OB and sure the lines are tight and sure there are funky rules and it's mainly a pitch and putt but it really doesn't matter as the cons are what you make of them. Just go and have fun and take in the history, peace and quiet and unique property of the course. Also Brian in the pro shop has some Ghost Town shirts, discs etc. that are pretty neat, have great designs and are extremely cheap!

Troll's Review

1    10/12/2012   10/5/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Pros: Super cool course that plays through an old mining town
19 one of a kind baskets, tee signs and more!
loads of technicalities
Private Action!
Fantasy quality
A must do! it worth the fee and trip!
Cons: It could be longer in spots... as a disc golf junkie I always want more, holes, and fantasy featured courses will leave wanting more!
Other Thoughts: I hope I will see more of these private style fantasy courses!

1    8/26/2013   8/26/2013
Review By: collinse
Pros: - Best kept course I've ever played!
- Each hole is unique in its own way with lots of care and thought.
- Scenery is unbeatable.
Cons: - Extremely tough to find.
- Wish the holes were a bit longer.
- GPS does not help.

Denver Trip

1    6/16/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: DGTEXAS
Pros: This was the most unique course I've ever played in my life! You could tell that the owner spent a lot of time with the OB's and layout. The Clubhouse was cool, and has souveniers for purchase. Very Technical course with some good elevation.
Cons: No Cons, other than some of the baskets were homemade, with rusty chains. I had a few spits but was playing casually and it was worth the trip for the overall expierence!
Other Thoughts: I'll be back!

A real treat!

2-4    9/4/2010   3/30/2011
Review By: petsounds85
Pros: Everything about this course is a treat. It's fun and challenging- Hey, you're in the mountains- playing disc golf through ruins of an old ghost town that lays on "the dude's" property.
Cons: I cant think of any!

This Course will Haunt You!

2-4    10/19/2010   10/31/2010
Review By: RogueArtist
Pros: A truly unique disc golf experience.
A fun tight course that is a complete departure from any other high rated courses.
Makes great use of the topography.
Overnight camping... a must for any disc golf road trip.
Really nice staff.
Challenging - Despite several holes that are sub 300 ft. birdies are tough to come by.
Other Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed the handcrafted nature of the course from the hand painted signs and baskets cobbled together from a wild assortment of items and materials.

Awesome

1    8/7/2010   8/9/2010
Review By: Dalisllama
Pros: One-of-a-Kind! A must Play. Unique and Fun. Very scenic and interesting. If you follow the directions, you will get there. Brian was a great host.
Cons: Baskets!? They look cool but I feel it would be best to have baskets that are solid and sound. I can handle the OB's but I hate bounce outs specially from questionable baskets.
Other Thoughts: OBs are many and that IS part of the character of this course, deal with it. Old baskets with character, i guess i should deal with it. That makes this course just short of perfect. Thanks Brian! I will be back.

Funnest Course Yet!

1    7/18/2010   7/18/2010
Review By: hevyevie
Pros: Excellent use of terrain. Awesome rustic and historical feel and views of an old mining town. Short and very challenging. Well marked and groomed course. Extremely clean of trash, but not old mining artifacts. Plenty of resting spots.
Cons: OB, OB, OB! The biggest con has to be the excessive OB. Easy to lose discs in the tall swamp grass with an errant throw. Lack of parking.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the play to travel from Michigan. Many things come to mind and couldn't decide if it was a Pro or Con like the older home made baskets. They seemed to work in my favor so it must be a Pro. OB was excessive however helped to make it more challenging. The greens fees are minimal and the course is well worth twice the cost! Over all an excellent and super fun course!