Russell Gulch, CO
Ghost Town Share
Uploaded By: Greg Layton

A solid must play if in the area.

1    9/25/2014   1/25/2015
Review By: Money_Shot
Pros: -The theme surrounding this course is great, we loved having the shovels used as hole markers and in general the miners theme that goes along with the local territory. Very unique experience.

-this is in a small, secluded village area that really gives you a feeling of what the territory had to offer back in the gold mining days. Very cool.

-There are some very fun holes with plenty of ace looks throughout the course, making this in general a course tailored to those looking for a fun course more so than a serious competitive play.

-Primarily on flat land unlike most courses in the area that require great physical exertion while navigating. It's a bit of a breath of fresh air not having to put that kind of effort into every round although a few holes on this course require you to hike uphill of course.
Cons: -in general I felt like there wasn't a whole lot of shot variation, minimum slope interaction considering you are in the mountains, this course does not require you to throw up or down a whole lot.

-I understand that this is on private land and the owner of the course could only do what he had to work with, but that doesn't change the fact when rating the course that the "phantom" OB throughout this course can get very frustrating, especially when playing in competition with friends. I can recall one hole in particular I threw what appeared to be a potential ace shot using a high hyzer throw that landed safely about 3 feet from the pin and stuck on the spot . However, as I walked up to the pin I noticed about 2 ft from the pin between my disc and the basket was a log that I then found out was "OB." After spotting my disc at the point my disc originally crossed the "OB" line in flight and taking a stroke penalty I ended up getting a bogey on a hole I was about 3 feet from acing. Irritating, and this was not the only time the "OB" became a factor as just described. These boundaries are set up like this due to land ownership being tricky from what we were told.

-You have to be very quiet out on the course in fear of the neighbors getting upset and asking the owner to shut down shop, which no disc golfer would want as this is a fun course.
Other Thoughts: All in all we really enjoyed our experience on this course regardless of some of the quirks that come with having close neighbors to a good course. We really enjoyed the "theme" that this course offers and it was probably my second favorite course I played while in Colorado on a disc trip in September (Bucksnort #1). Without land ownership getting in the way, this course could definitely spread out a bit more and become even better, however, I would imagine this course is what it is always going to be. At points it did feel like we were kind of "walking on egg shells" out here with the boundaries and making sure not to be on neighbors land and being quiet etc. All the cons of this course are a result of the limitations of having neighbors who aren't disc golf enthusiasts and by no means a result of poor design or ownership so nothing as far as that is concerned can be changed. You will enjoy your experience here and I would definitely recommend you head up to this course if in the area. I have rated it a 4.5 because i could not rate it a 4.25 which is what i believe the course truly is. Since the course as a whole has a rating below what i believe it should be, i decided to round my rating up instead of down.

Troll's Review

1    10/12/2012   10/5/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Pros: Super cool course that plays through an old mining town
19 one of a kind baskets, tee signs and more!
loads of technicalities
Private Action!
Fantasy quality
A must do! it worth the fee and trip!
Cons: It could be longer in spots... as a disc golf junkie I always want more, holes, and fantasy featured courses will leave wanting more!
Other Thoughts: I hope I will see more of these private style fantasy courses!

1    8/26/2013   8/26/2013
Review By: collinse
Pros: - Best kept course I've ever played!
- Each hole is unique in its own way with lots of care and thought.
- Scenery is unbeatable.
Cons: - Extremely tough to find.
- Wish the holes were a bit longer.
- GPS does not help.

Denver Trip

1    6/16/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: DGTEXAS
Pros: This was the most unique course I've ever played in my life! You could tell that the owner spent a lot of time with the OB's and layout. The Clubhouse was cool, and has souveniers for purchase. Very Technical course with some good elevation.
Cons: No Cons, other than some of the baskets were homemade, with rusty chains. I had a few spits but was playing casually and it was worth the trip for the overall expierence!
Other Thoughts: I'll be back!

A real treat!

2-4    9/4/2010   3/30/2011
Review By: petsounds85
Pros: Everything about this course is a treat. It's fun and challenging- Hey, you're in the mountains- playing disc golf through ruins of an old ghost town that lays on "the dude's" property.
Cons: I cant think of any!

This Course will Haunt You!

2-4    10/19/2010   10/31/2010
Review By: RogueArtist
Pros: A truly unique disc golf experience.
A fun tight course that is a complete departure from any other high rated courses.
Makes great use of the topography.
Overnight camping... a must for any disc golf road trip.
Really nice staff.
Challenging - Despite several holes that are sub 300 ft. birdies are tough to come by.
Other Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed the handcrafted nature of the course from the hand painted signs and baskets cobbled together from a wild assortment of items and materials.

Awesome

1    8/7/2010   8/9/2010
Review By: Dalisllama
Pros: One-of-a-Kind! A must Play. Unique and Fun. Very scenic and interesting. If you follow the directions, you will get there. Brian was a great host.
Cons: Baskets!? They look cool but I feel it would be best to have baskets that are solid and sound. I can handle the OB's but I hate bounce outs specially from questionable baskets.
Other Thoughts: OBs are many and that IS part of the character of this course, deal with it. Old baskets with character, i guess i should deal with it. That makes this course just short of perfect. Thanks Brian! I will be back.

Funnest Course Yet!

1    7/18/2010   7/18/2010
Review By: hevyevie
Pros: Excellent use of terrain. Awesome rustic and historical feel and views of an old mining town. Short and very challenging. Well marked and groomed course. Extremely clean of trash, but not old mining artifacts. Plenty of resting spots.
Cons: OB, OB, OB! The biggest con has to be the excessive OB. Easy to lose discs in the tall swamp grass with an errant throw. Lack of parking.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the play to travel from Michigan. Many things come to mind and couldn't decide if it was a Pro or Con like the older home made baskets. They seemed to work in my favor so it must be a Pro. OB was excessive however helped to make it more challenging. The greens fees are minimal and the course is well worth twice the cost! Over all an excellent and super fun course!

The Ghosts of Disc Golfing!!!

1    5/31/2010   6/1/2010
Review By: Drew Heintz
This review was updated on 6/10/2010
Pros: ~This was truely an experience!!!
~Everything looks like it was takin from the 1930s or earlier. Very authentic!!!!
~Not only do you get to throw some discs in some very cool settings, the whole trip is an adventure!
~Abandoned buildings with glass broken out, old rusty oil cans laying around, very rustic looking baskets that were made with outstanding craftmanship, ridge to ridge shots, tee boxes on the top of boulders and hills, a camper-style smoke....er...rain shelter, creepy looking remains of stone made buildings, and a history packed story that goes with the course. A must play for and adventure seeking disc golfer.
~I saved the best for last.....Brian was the host, and what a host he is!!! After he showed us the basic layout of the course, told us some history of the ruins, and gave us some tips and tricks to use along the way, we were all too excited to get on the first tee and begin our adventure.
Cons: Some would say that paying to play is a con. In my opinion, it secures the fact that this course you just payed to play will be a one in a kind. My con would be the OB's. Why so many? Seems like to me he kinda went a little crazy and started abusing his OB privledges. Especially the holes right before you cross the street. There is OB's surrounding trees, a fake lake, and just random circles of OB's (and no, me nor anyone in my group counted those as OBs. Rules or no rules, that was rediculous.)
Other Thoughts: I would strongly recommend two rounds. the first round to get to know the course, than the second round to really play the course. (+5 my first round, -1 my second) All-in-All , an awesome course and a must play for any discer. We will be back!!
Thanks Brian!!!

Wow

1    11/10/2009   11/21/2009
Review By: menmabassguitar
Pros: Big information board, Quite and spacious.
The course is clearly marked, has a wire array of elevation.
The owner is very friendly and informational.
Plenty of room to take your time and relax with lost of benches and bazaar obstacles.
Cons: Some of the OB is private property and you may not retrieve lost discs.

Lots of loose terrain.
Other Thoughts: There is a nice 4 wheeling road you can take into Ghost town with lots of killer views.

Bring hiking boots if you have them!
You can cycle through many different discs on this course so go prepared for all kinds of situations like blind shots, straight open shots, sloped shots, crowded shots, you get the idea.

Over all this course met my expectations and left me wanting more!