Russell Gulch, CO

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
BFE fun for me

1    11/26/2016   12/1/2016
Review By: enragedmullet
Pros: - Baskets are in better condition than past reviews; not sure of the model but not many are obviously slapdash/homemade. They catch reasonably well too.

- Signage is adequate. There's a sign, there's a par, there's a distance for most.

- Course plays a loop, nice variety of distances though none are terribly long. Decent mixture of bombers/technical shots. In particular #'s 12 and 13 stand out. They play away from and back towards one of the abandoned buildings and cross some interesting topography. 17 is nerve wracking - if you have bad wind, you may just chuck the disc into an abandoned building/vehicle/OB/or a building that's actually actively occupied.

- No real foliage/grounds issues as far as weeds/overgrowth - I played in November and the main problem I had experienced was having discs that skipped along snow/ice.

- majority of holes have benches and the course is clear about asking you to pack out your garbage (bears), and is also very pro-recycling.

- Port-o-john on premises next to Parking and 17/18

- Some variety with elevation - nothing extreme but you're playing in 3 dimensions on some holes for sure.

- Unique for sure! A total destination/bucket list course. How many other courses can boast an old school ghost town? It's a weird, scenic, kind of surreal place.

- Labor of love - it's obvious the owners take pride in the place, and do all they can to make for a memorable round w/o getting in the way.
Cons: - Signage isn't GREAT. Though it appears the course has been undergoing some changes recently so if the signs had diagrams and the whole 9 they probably wouldn't be terribly accurate anyway.

- Some fairways are close together and cross-play could become an issue if groups end up running into each other. As stated before, the back 9 is where this is most obvious.

- Reservations I understand but the way tee times are setup seems like it could have issues in the busy season. You can pay $5 for 1 round or $7 for 2, but if you're taking a long time I can see how that second round would eat into someone else's tee time. I'm not sure how the owners deal with this, or if they bother to at all. As it was, I played in November and the issue didn't come up.
Other Thoughts: - There are a few really cool rain shelters on the course - something I haven't seen before but I really think add something to the course - it's like the course is looking out for you just in case of bad weather.

- I've read a lot of different things about Ghost Town including lots of moaning regarding the restrictiveness of the course, OB everywhere, penalties for this/that, owners not being happy when people don't set tee times, etc. The thing is that those aren't cons. If this course was smack in the middle of an urban setting I'd understand but the fact is you're in BFE Colorado at a unique setting in an area that's quite interesting if you bother to look into it. It's a destination/private course, and as such, visitors should expect a unique time in a unique setting, and not necessarily a 5-star pro-level knock-your-socks-off wet dream course.

- Upon arrival and "check-in" the owner(s) will provide you with an accurate hand-drawn map which you can take a picture of. Unorthodox? Yes. But better than nothing.

- The course plays along an old mining easement through Russell Gulch - a defunct mining town now split between several property owners. If you take the Peak-to-Peak Hwy here from the north, check out Nederland - it's a quaint town that seems to have plenty going on, at least before winter. It also hosts something called Frozen Dead Guy Days, which I plan to investigate one day.

- The drive there through Central City can get super confusing. Be on your toes.

- I'd give it a 3.25 if possible but I'm erring on the side of 3.5 due to the destination/unique nature of the course. If you like cheesy souvenirs, those are for sale too! I'll admit I left some dollars in the clubhouse. Fun time for sure, check it out.

1    10/11/2016   10/11/2016
Review By: xaeLen
Pros: good baskets with double chains
arrows pointing to the tee pads
great tee pads
they have a path so you do not have to walk in the bushes
Cons: you have to make a reservation
really steep holes
Other Thoughts: well thought out course

1    9/12/2016   9/12/2016
Review By: Theido
Pros: A unique atmosphere, with some really great views of a former mining area.

Mostly short technical holes, that play toward skilled mid-range throws.
Cons: Very short course.

Tee pads on some were very uneven and felt as if we would turn our ankles on them (we ended up throwing from the grass next to them).

Course is very compact sharing fairways.

The course has two #4s and you are supposed to play both at the same time. (This might be unique but also really stupid).

Other Thoughts: I am actually flummoxed on how this course has a 4 disc rating. It was honestly a huge let down and really the only course I have ever found on this site that I completely disagree with how it was rated.

The course requires tee times, but no consideration for size of group is used to determine the times. I went as a group of two and the entire course was backed up by 2 groups of 5 put back to back. Tee times seem to only be used for parking and will in no way help you have a free flowing game.

The adventure of Ghost town started with a tutorial from Brian. He proceeds to lecture for 10 minutes about the course and does it with next to no passion as you can tell he does it 50 times a day. He also instructs you to take pictures of his only map of the course instead of even giving a option to buy a photo copy for convenience. The way he talks about the course you would think it's over about 50 acres but, once you get to hole 8 you realize that holes 8 through 16 at most times share fairways.

Holes 8 through 16 are really packed in on each other, at one point while we were waiting to tee off we had people a hole or two ahead of us throwing directly back at us to their basket. The basket was literally placed about 15 feet away from the tee box we were standing on.

This course obviously appears to be a passion project by the owner over his land. He managed to pack 19 holes into a area that would have made a really good 12 hole course.

Well worth the drive outside of Denver

1    7/3/2015   7/3/2015
Review By: bengal4life11
Pros: Updated baskets as noted in other reviews.
Excellent course location in this authentic ghost town.
Great mix of shots and the multiple OBs add to the difficulty of this course.
Brian does a great job of going over all of the course rules and a course map is provided.
Even though most holes are not long, the challenge of the OBs and trees make even the short shots challenging (a con I guess as well)
Cons: Some of the baskets are elevated or near the edge of decent drop offs which can be troublesome if your shot is not dead on or if it is windy so be prepared to trek.
Some pads are not a smooth surface which can be hazardous if not paying attention but given the course design and being a private course this is a small con.
Other Thoughts: Very pleasantly surprised about this course after reading the reviews as I didn't know quite what to expect. I live in Iowa but take every opportunity to play courses in the states I visit. Came across this course while our family was looking for some activity outside of Denver. I don't regret traveling to this course and would definitely play it again when in the area.

Great course worth the drive

1    9/27/2014   6/22/2015
Review By: iconoclastes
Pros: *Such a fun course to play even with the gimmicks
*Difficult enough that it will let the better players shine but not so much that the lesser players will get frustrated
*Great boxes and baskets

Cons: *Not the easiest course to navigate but far from the worst
*Getting here was not easy (don't go the back way up the winding road that looks and feels like it's about to wash away)
Other Thoughts: This was a very fun course with a few gimmicks and rules and OB's that don't make the most sense at first but they did what they did bc of what they had to work with. Get passed that and enjoy yourself. It's not going to disappoint. And if you have the time, there is a small brewery in town called doctal alley brewing that has some good beer and the best pizza I've every eaten. Next time I travel through Denver, I'm throwing this course, eating a pizza and drinking a beer in this small town.

Very cool concept!

1    5/27/2015   6/8/2015
Review By: lineenil
Pros: Amazing area to put a course. The ghost town was very impressive and added a unique element that kept a smile on my face the entire time we played through it on the back nine. The secluded town in the mountains was the perfect setting.

Some tight and technical shots, as well as some island shots. Mostly short, but most add and interesting dynamic to shot. Some great use of the elevation.

The tee on hole 4 short is on top of a giant boulder and is a very cool look. I believe 9 was the giant shot over the wet land just short of the abandon town- definitely picture-esque.

Brian was a great host and we had no issues at all!
Cons: The wet areas in the middle are pretty bad, and is no fun walking in ankle deep water to get a stray disc. Definitely a couple unenjoyable moments.

Definitely don't want to hit the buildings! Also some residents nearby but nothing over the top by any means.

Other Thoughts: A few solid course! The muddy swampy areas do detract quite a bit from the enjoyment of a round, but an almost perfect course for sure.

A solid must play if in the area.

1    9/25/2014   1/25/2015
Review By: Money_Shot
Pros: -The theme surrounding this course is great, we loved having the shovels used as hole markers and in general the miners theme that goes along with the local territory. Very unique experience.

-this is in a small, secluded village area that really gives you a feeling of what the territory had to offer back in the gold mining days. Very cool.

-There are some very fun holes with plenty of ace looks throughout the course, making this in general a course tailored to those looking for a fun course more so than a serious competitive play.

-Primarily on flat land unlike most courses in the area that require great physical exertion while navigating. It's a bit of a breath of fresh air not having to put that kind of effort into every round although a few holes on this course require you to hike uphill of course.
Cons: -in general I felt like there wasn't a whole lot of shot variation, minimum slope interaction considering you are in the mountains, this course does not require you to throw up or down a whole lot.

-I understand that this is on private land and the owner of the course could only do what he had to work with, but that doesn't change the fact when rating the course that the "phantom" OB throughout this course can get very frustrating, especially when playing in competition with friends. I can recall one hole in particular I threw what appeared to be a potential ace shot using a high hyzer throw that landed safely about 3 feet from the pin and stuck on the spot . However, as I walked up to the pin I noticed about 2 ft from the pin between my disc and the basket was a log that I then found out was "OB." After spotting my disc at the point my disc originally crossed the "OB" line in flight and taking a stroke penalty I ended up getting a bogey on a hole I was about 3 feet from acing. Irritating, and this was not the only time the "OB" became a factor as just described. These boundaries are set up like this due to land ownership being tricky from what we were told.

-You have to be very quiet out on the course in fear of the neighbors getting upset and asking the owner to shut down shop, which no disc golfer would want as this is a fun course.
Other Thoughts: All in all we really enjoyed our experience on this course regardless of some of the quirks that come with having close neighbors to a good course. We really enjoyed the "theme" that this course offers and it was probably my second favorite course I played while in Colorado on a disc trip in September (Bucksnort #1). Without land ownership getting in the way, this course could definitely spread out a bit more and become even better, however, I would imagine this course is what it is always going to be. At points it did feel like we were kind of "walking on egg shells" out here with the boundaries and making sure not to be on neighbors land and being quiet etc. All the cons of this course are a result of the limitations of having neighbors who aren't disc golf enthusiasts and by no means a result of poor design or ownership so nothing as far as that is concerned can be changed. You will enjoy your experience here and I would definitely recommend you head up to this course if in the area. I have rated it a 4.5 because i could not rate it a 4.25 which is what i believe the course truly is. Since the course as a whole has a rating below what i believe it should be, i decided to round my rating up instead of down.

Something new and something old

1    9/6/2014   9/15/2014
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 10/4/2015
Pros: I've traveled a little and been to a few ghost towns at this point, hiked through one and now I can say I have played a DGC through one as well. Some of the buildings are still in amazing shape while others have seen better days. These buildings were built on the dream of striking it rich in mining, are from the 1890's and are the only thing left standing from those dreams. The history and the ambiance of this place combined with the great golf is reason enough to make the trip out here. This is a must play for those reasons.

Others aren't fans of 'artificial' or 'manufactured' out of bounds but I think with this course it not only makes sense to keep players away from private land not owned by the disc course but also makes the course more challenging when picking your landing zones. At every tee and most times within the circle you also have to play smart. I love courses that make you think about your shot instead of just throw your disc towards the basket and not have to worry about anything and you end up with a two or three 90% of the time. This is the sort of course you could play in the morning and shoot a 45 and then your afternoon round could be a 65! Love it!

Holes two (2) and seven (7) are the toughest of the bunch out here and my favorites as well. Hole two is a blind uphill constantly dog legging right to left with out of bounds running up the right side of the fairway all the way to the basket up near a small mound on the top of the hill. Hole seven is a nastily wooded hole with several lines to the basket from the pad but none of them look easy at all. At over 350 feet even if you hit the line you need a bit of distance and luck to get you to the basket for a birdie and if you hit something early you could be looking at bogey at best.
Cons: When you reach the more open holes near the start of the back nine the course gets tighter but in a different way; the OB lines ease but the other fairways come closer. The owner takes tee times so this shouldn't be an issue most of the time but it's something to look for if you are playing a tournament or just casual golf and several groups are next to one another.

I mention this here because I understand some people are bothered by it but for me it is not an issue and that is the $5 to play. Honestly this is not a con and if it is a con to you there are several other options around town and no one is forcing you to come and play the course. The funky rules (2 and 3 stroke penalties, etc.) are fun but if you don't like them you don't have to play it that way if you don't want.

Parking!!!! There are maybe four or five legit parking spots for the entire course. We had to squeeze into a spot that really wasn't meant to be squeezed into and only then did we move our car after hanging out in the pro shop for a bit and seeing someone leave. The neighbors seem like they don't mind the course there, if one of them were smart they would charge for addition parking for something. Not sure what they do during a tournament here.
Other Thoughts: This course is like nothing else and I highly recommend checking it out even though it's out in the middle of the nowhere in the mountains. Sure there is some OB and sure the lines are tight and sure there are funky rules and it's mainly a pitch and putt but it really doesn't matter as the cons are what you make of them. Just go and have fun and take in the history, peace and quiet and unique property of the course. Also Brian in the pro shop has some Ghost Town shirts, discs etc. that are pretty neat, have great designs and are extremely cheap!

DGC of dreams

2-4    6/20/2014   7/2/2014
Review By: bcos4life
Pros: This course will challenge everything in your game in multiple ways.

It has the best level changes I've ever played. Consistently moving the level of your shots will add to the round.

Distances go from true ace shots to bombs.

You will have the tightest of windows, followed by wide open shots. It's awesome how quickly the layout will change.

The amount of blin shots makes you really pay attention to your disc location, and focus on the shot... not a lot of recovery to be had.

A lot of people don't like the excessive OB, but in a tight mountain course surrounded by private property, what are you gonna do?

Signage is legendary. Shovel heads everywhere, beautiful park sign, and OB markers that fit in with the scenery.

Best views I've ever seen.
Cons: Very few things to complain about... but if I am nitpicky:

The tee pads are super short. Almost impossible to bomb on the distance holes. He has a good reason... hard to pour concrete up there... but still too short.

While I like most of the OB's, the island ones are a bit trivial. You throw a good disc dead down the fairway and get an OB? No thanks.

The hike to one is a little rough. At 9,000 feet, it is already hard to get around, but that hike is killer.
Other Thoughts: I've heard from multiple people that you "play through a ghost town"... it isn't true. You play next to one, and are punished if you happen to hit a building. Never the less, THE most beautiful and interesting course I've ever played. Totally lives up to the hype.

Ghostly Mountain Course

1    10/14/2013   4/11/2014
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: +Very unique mountain setting in a real 'Ghost Town'. Great character at this course.
+Lots of fun ups and downs
+Probably never crowded to due the need for a reservation and P2P
+Some tight holes and some pretty open holes
+Brian gives you a map and all tees are marked. It was always obvious which basket I was supposed to be shooting at. Navigation was solid here. The shovel heads at each tee were helpful and added to the charm of the course.
+Tees were good enough for this course. You don't need a long run-up, if you did the tees might be a little short.
+A pro shop with many cool items including discs, shirts, paintings, etc.
+Between actual hole variation and variation in scenery, this course kept me guessing and never was boring.
Cons: -Not a lot of variation in length. Most holes were on the shorter side.
-Manufactured OB all over, I do understand why it is in place but it still isn't my favorite obstacle. There are other rules regarding noise and hitting things but again, I understand why they are in place. Still worthy of a mention.
-Some of the baskets were older, often single chained and didn't catch quite as well as others. Many baskets are replaced and I assume the remaining old ones are being replaced as money comes into the course.
-I played alone, near dusk and it was a little creepy! Maybe this ghost town is haunted.
Other Thoughts: -I had first played this course last fall and wanted to have the chance to play it again before I reviewed it. I don't do that often. I also don't want to come back and play courses as often as I do this one. I wanted to play on my 3 day trip last week but was unable due to recent snowfalls.
-This course is definitely worth the $5 donation and drive into the mountains. If you are traveling here in the summer, there are many courses in the mountains beyond here to check out.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5