5 Helpful / 0 Not
Watch the rough!
Pros: The course wraps around the outside of a medium sized park. There is a little bit of elevation, and lots of tall grass along the fairways. Many of the holes have dense trees and brush along one side of the fairway, and are more open on the other. The elevation that was available was used well, with a hole up the hill, a couple across it, and one back down over a small pond.
There was a good mix of different lengths of holes, from shorter more technical holes to longer open bomb shots. There were only a few holes where inaccurate tee shots were not punished with dense rough, forcing accuracy over distance off the tee. On the couple more wooded holes, there were multiple clearly defined lines to the hole that offered different levels of risk/reward.
At the beginning of the course, there was a nice course map showing the layout of the full course. Each hole had a nice tee sign with distance and direction to the hole, along with a pointer to the next tee. Though the tees were natural, the majority were level and well packed dirt that made a fine throwing surface on a dry day.
Cons: There were a few too many holes that all felt the same, especially in the beginning of the course. More than half the holes on the course were 240' to 300' RHBH hyzer shots, with woods on the left, and this got a little old.
The tees weren't a huge issue, but many had clumps of grass growing up through them, and these occasionally caused some footing issues. If the course were wet at all, the tees would be very muddy and slick. On some of the holes, there was not a clearly defined teeing area, just a general dirt patch surrounding the tee sign, it would have been nice to have defined tee boxes even with the natural tees.
This is a minor issue for me, but if you have an issue with bugs, especially mosquitoes, this isn't the course for you. On all the holes along the woods, the bugs were very thick, and didn't seem to be at all fazed by our bug spray.
Other Thoughts: This course offered some different challenges than other area courses, and I enjoyed playing here. It would not be a great course for beginners, as accuracy is very important if you want to stay out of deep rough where it's easy to lose a disc. More advanced players will enjoy the accuracy challenge, but will find the holes a bit repetitive.
This course is worth playing if you're in the area, but don't drive way out of your way just to play this one. If you do play, bring bug spray, and consider long pants with all the tall grasses and plants you'll be wading through to find errant throws.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 9 Not
D+ = Doesn't have much happenin'
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution -- D (Very open course. The 3 wooded holes have no fair fairway.)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max -- C- (Half are either too long to reach or too short to be a challenge. The others are wide open or in the woods with no route to the basket.)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- D (Almost the entire course is laid out clockwise around the edge of a big open area with woods/underbrush on the side. So most holes are simple RHBH hyzer shots. Very repetitive and boring.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C- (The only redeeming value is that you are way out of sight of the other park activities on some of the holes.)
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (125 18-hole, 64 9-hole as of mid 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.
I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me….that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.
3 of 12 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.