Redan (Dekalb County), GA
Rosewood-Dekalb Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #17 (Taken 4/2011)
3 / 371ft.   4 / 371ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #17 Basket to Tee: Medium position

Regal Redan.

2-4    8/8/2012   11/8/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: An extremely fun little course.

Solid teepads.

A very nice blend of shots, a true par 3 course that is neither extremely easy or overly challenging. It's fairly simple to shoot under par out here as long as you can throw your putters and midranges well.
Cons: Lots of vandalism as a result of not being in the best part of town.

The baskets are old and beat up.

Other Thoughts: This course is one of those courses for me where pro's & con's don't really jump out, but I can write in this section for a bit.

This is an old course, some of the pars for course par are listed as 4's and 5's but I think there's only a singular hole that may be a four when the pin is in its absolute longest position, and even then it may be a 3.

Although this isn't in the best area, I never felt unsafe. Previous reviewers have mentioned making sure to keep your doors locked and things of that nature, but I hope to god you do that no matter where you park your car. The area has improved since my first visit to the course with some newer construction popping up nearby.

The course has an extremely pleasant blend of shots. Some really cool holes out here. Hole #5 immediately comes to mind as one that starts out in the open and shoots into the woods with a pin placement that can definitely make you strategize off the tee on weather to gun for it or just play it smart.

The beginning of the course starts off more open until you shoot into the woods for the remainder. Due to it's short, wooded, and fun nature, this is the course I would recommend if you are in the area on a hot summer day.

Other Other Thought: There is a tee sign that has "Race War" written on it. How can you not play this course?

Home is where you hang your hat

5+    5/29/2011   6/2/2011
Review By: Hegemony
Pros: - Multiple pin placements that a regularly shifted by course managers. It's refreshing to walk onto the course and wonder where the pin placements are this week.
- Great mix of shot requirements which change both from hole-to-hole and on the same hole depending on pin placements (long, short, open, tightly wooded, hyzer, anny, etc.)
- Course design. One of the main things I've always liked about this course is how it starts mostly open (1-5) before going into the woods on 6. It gives the player some time to get loose before escalating the challenge.
- Picnic tables and benches throughout the course.
- Bathrooms in the fields above the course and in the boyscout building near the tennis courts entrance.
- Football field above 4 is rarely in use, so it can be used for fieldwork.
Cons: - Trash cans are almost always full/overflowing of beer cans
- Local residents sometimes randomly wandering the course
- County grounds crew destroying pin positions on early holes with the lawnmowers
- Basket visibility. You do have to walk down some of the fairways to determine where the pin is this week.
- Signage and some amenities in need of repair
- there is no disc line on the last 50ft of 12 when it is in the longest position. Great deal of luck required to get a good score in that configuration. Even thumber/tommy's are iffy.
Other Thoughts: - This course will always be home to me. I play here weekly(minimum) and never get tired of it.
- I keep finding myself comparing other courses to it, and think it's the most balanced course in Atlanta.
- It's an older course, so it may be considered short. The longest hole is ~500ft when 15 is in the long.
- Water is in play on the side of the fairway on 6, 7, 11, 12, 15, and 16. Also across the fairway when 5 is in the long position, however the hazard level is low in all cases. The creek is pretty small.
- Hole 1 has changed significantly in the past year since the county cleared out all the shule. The tight tunnel for the first drive is now much more open, and I think it improved the quality of the course layout.

Good Ole Redan

1    8/13/2010   10/15/2010
Review By: Quest_
Pros: This place while not very close to much is a hidden gem in the middle of the hood!

*Great mix of elevation and hole placement
*Nice use of property, open and wooded areas
*Multiple lines on almost every hole for a good chance to try out different shots
*They have a somewhat functioning picnic area near the entrance/exit of the wooded section of the course.
Cons: In kind of a bad area, I have heard of multiple cars being broken into but have not had it happen to me

The hole maps located next to the tee pads need to be replaced as it looks like they have taken on some massive water damage

Course is somewhat difficult to follow if you have never been there before as the first time we played we thought we had played a whole 18 when it was only 10 holes.

No restrooms

No water access
Other Thoughts: Great place to play and if you want to get your grill on bring some food because the picnic area is a nice change of pace. You can actually pull your car down there and set up shop so you don't have to lug everything back and forth

Sketchy Neighborhood, Great Course

5+    3/30/2010   4/1/2010
Review By: slengel82
This review was updated on 4/22/2010
Pros: I really like this course, most likely one of my favorite courses closest to downtown ATL.

Pros:
1) A good mix of open and treed holes.
2) Great sceanery around the park.
3) Hole 15 has to be the signature hole and is a wonderful long hole with a nice bit of shade.
4) Hole 18 is somewhat short. Everytime I've been there I've had a decent shot at birdie (although I've never made it... yet). I enjoy the last hole of this course for that reason. A fun short hole that you can honestly attempt a hole in one on.
Cons: 1) Not to be mean but the neighborhood looks somewhat bad albiet I've never had a bad thing happen there.
2) They're either relandscaping some parts or they've put in new drainage or pipe or something because there is a decent amount of dug up ground which leaves shoes dirty
Other Thoughts: Covington Hwy during the week (and really on the weekends too but not as bad) is pretty miserable driving on to get here. I've been impressed with Redan Rd which I take immediately after I get on Covington from Memorial. My GPS took me this way and the bridge was out about 4 miles down three weeks ago. The bridge is now back up which gives you a striaght shot that is better than convington. Just my personal opinion.

**UPDATE**
Found out that they changed pin placements. First Tee shoots left now. Hole 3 shoots longer now and is next to the tree further back. Hole 13 shoots left (shoe leg right still but pin is left of the old placement in the woods). Those are the ones that stood out the most, but I would say that nearly half the course has new pin placements.

Enjoyed it a lot.

2-4    10/19/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: Concrete pad are always a plus in my book. A few open holes but must are in the woods with some being really tight and others opening up in the woods. A nice mixture of hyzer and anhyzer holes. Multiple pin placement looks to change the course with each placement. There are some small hills that come into play on multiple holes.
Cons: Some of the signs are beat up others are missing. While there are multiple pin placements there is nothing to let you know which one the pin is in. There were some areas that were still holding water from the rains the week before I played though it was not too bad and a towel will be needed.
Other Thoughts: This course looks like it has seen better days. Though because of that there are many holes that will test your skills and allow for some risk vs reward shots. With the years this course has under it belt you can see there has been many years of additions which make this course a must play if you are in the area with time to kill.

Good Mix

5+    7/17/2009   7/17/2009
Review By: Alan.D
Pros: -Great mix of open and wooded holes
-Multiple shot required
-Wood holes can be tough but are all "fair"
-Nice use of land and elevation
-Multiple Pin locations (rare they change it though)
-Concrete tees on all holes
-A few very pretty holes!
Cons: -Not the best area, don't feel safe
-Not the cleanest -trash -beer cans -graffiti
-Deep in woods feeling, bring bug spray, and watch out for spider webs
-Looks like the course is used for other activities besides disc golf
-Generally under keep
Other Thoughts: A very fun Course that demands a variety of shots over many different types of holes. While the course is great that is all that is there for golfers, few benches and no water fountains. While I almost always see other disc golfers playing I don't really feel safe leaving my car in the parking lot.

Great course but park is not there for disc golfers and course and park are under Keep.

A really nice mix

1    4/25/2009   4/29/2009
Review By: billnchristy
This review was updated on 5/27/2009
Pros: Note: This is a complete re-write based on new scoring system I created.
Great park maintenance, beautifully mowed lawns even in the woods where applicable.
Very little trash, people were emptying the garbage as we played.
Lots of benches and makeshift seating to give you a chance to rest.
It has a pretty good mix of distances considering its age especially. With the pin location variety it can provide an even greater mix.
Course is very easy to follow, we did have one instance where we were lead astray but easily got back on course. Most holes have Nex-T signs if you look.
Multiple pin locations can change difficulty of course.

Cons: Bad neighborhood. Have heard bad things but never experienced them so take it with a grain of salt.
Single tee location so the only adjustment between pro and rec. players is for par.
No way to tell what position the basket is in without looking first.
Did not see any accessible bathrooms.
Some graffiti on course, hopefully this has since been cleaned up.
Other Thoughts: The first tee is pretty daunting, but very cool. It was really fun walking around and discovering each hole. Some really memorable holes and our daughter really loved playing by the creeks.
Note, while this place has gotten a bad rep online we saw nothing that made us concerned in the least. In fact, we had not read about any of this stuff prior and the place gave us no reason to feel worried...YMMV.

Using my new scoring system, this park rates a 70 out of 100. It is a beautifully maintained park but the lack of tee variety and adjustment for ability cost it a chance at 4 stars.

Really well worth visiting.

B+ = You Be Feelin' Positive After Playing This

1    9/18/2007   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B

5+    3/1/2009   4/15/2009
Review By: sdecker
Pros: Good overall mix of open and wooded holes. Pin placements move around regularly which makes for an additional challenge if you don't play it every week. Well thought out design overall.
Cons: There are some fairly tight fairways in the woods that would tend to discourage newbies. Lots of recent discussion about car break-ins and holdups(!) on the course is very discouraging.
Other Thoughts: Love the course overall and up until recently I would have considered it the best overall course in the Atlanta area. There's nothing about the course itself that is a negative, but the recent security concerns definitely bump it down IMO. Without those, it's a 4 star course.

Good course, Bad location

1    6/6/2006   2/10/2009
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: I really enjoyed playing this course. I thought it was set up well. Once your start playing your forget where this course is located, it is a secluded DG feel. There were a couple of places where the next tee direction wasn't obvious, but we were able to figure it out.
Cons: It was busy when I was there with DGers coming and going, so we did not have any problems with break-ins, but seeing the area on the way in, those type of problems don't surprise me.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course, but unfortunately I would be afraid to leave my car parked there in order to play it.