Redan (Dekalb County), GA
Rosewood-Dekalb Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #8 (Taken 4/2011)
3 / 290ft.   4 / 290ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #8 Basket to Tee: Long position

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Awesome course

5+    8/28/2013   7/28/2014
Review By: cnalbers
Pros: Great mix of trees and open shots. Challenging.
Cons: Not very well maintained... Dekalb County just doesn't seem to care about it. The signage is old and outdated. The course is not well marked.
Other Thoughts: This is the very first course I played in Georgia, so it will always be special to me. Great group of players frequent the course. However, keep your valuable out of sight in your car... this is Dekalb, after all! ;-)

Great course in Atlanta area

5+    7/28/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: captain_d
Pros: This is probably my favorite course in the Atlanta area.
* Great mix of wooded/open shots, especially on the front 9.
* Easy navigation (except on hole 6 to 7).
* Low traffic, so it's easy to get a round in, even on a beautiful day.
* Well manicured grass.
* Great place to bring people interested in the game but haven't played. Very beginner friendly, but not too easy either.
* Concrete tee pads.
Cons: * Signs have been defaced with graffiti. Not really the courses fault, but still sucks.
* A couple of the baskets on the back 9 are close to each other, so you aren't sure where to throw if you aren't familiar with the layout.
* A touch ghetto, but not too bad.
* Some trash spread out near the tee boxes.
* Far from Atlanta, which again, isn't the course's fault and I'm not deducting any stars for it, but still an issue if you are in the Atlanta area.
* Hole 18 is a little too easy.
* A few holes could use some new baskets.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, and probably my go-to when I want to get a round in. Nice mix of challenging/easy shots.

Only improvements I could see are adding amateur/pro tee-boxes, more benches, and more trash/recycling cans on the holes.

Not the best review but...

1    7/10/2013   7/10/2013
Review By: alex513ninja
Pros: Cool course with multiple pin locations that allow for a lot of playability. Good mix of woods and open shots with the in-between type holes as well.
Cons: Current pin locations create a lot of repetitive shots that could be changed by switching a few holes. Hole 8 and 10 both missing baskets which really disappointed me considering the rating this course has. If those baskets were in place i would rate it higher.
Other Thoughts: I know this isn't the best review (i'm typing on an ipad) but i wanted to at least mention the missing baskets.

5+    4/4/2013   4/15/2013
Review By: zjones9
Pros: There is often little traffic at this course, which makes it one of the best courses in the ATL area to unleash your dog! For those of you without dogs, don't worry; this course still has something to offer. It is by no means the best course in Atlanta, but it is a very fun/easy course. On almost every hole, there are multiple pin locations, and they do get moved around from time to time which is always refreshing.
Cons: Many of the baskets need some repair/replacing, most of the teesigns have been vandalized, and can somebody please move hole 16 basket location!! (So boring in its short position). And while on the topic of pin locations, there are several that, IMHO, should be removed altogether as they can make an already easy course way too simple.

Regal Redan.

2-4    8/8/2012   11/8/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: An extremely fun little course.

Solid teepads.

A very nice blend of shots, a true par 3 course that is neither extremely easy or overly challenging. It's fairly simple to shoot under par out here as long as you can throw your putters and midranges well.
Cons: Lots of vandalism as a result of not being in the best part of town.

The baskets are old and beat up.

Other Thoughts: This course is one of those courses for me where pro's & con's don't really jump out, but I can write in this section for a bit.

This is an old course, some of the pars for course par are listed as 4's and 5's but I think there's only a singular hole that may be a four when the pin is in its absolute longest position, and even then it may be a 3.

Although this isn't in the best area, I never felt unsafe. Previous reviewers have mentioned making sure to keep your doors locked and things of that nature, but I hope to god you do that no matter where you park your car. The area has improved since my first visit to the course with some newer construction popping up nearby.

The course has an extremely pleasant blend of shots. Some really cool holes out here. Hole #5 immediately comes to mind as one that starts out in the open and shoots into the woods with a pin placement that can definitely make you strategize off the tee on weather to gun for it or just play it smart.

The beginning of the course starts off more open until you shoot into the woods for the remainder. Due to it's short, wooded, and fun nature, this is the course I would recommend if you are in the area on a hot summer day.

Other Other Thought: There is a tee sign that has "Race War" written on it. How can you not play this course?

If you are desperate for a new course

1    7/7/2012   9/6/2012
Review By: Sersan43
Pros: First 5 or 6 holes are really fun and interesting. They allow for gutsy technical shots or safe lay ups. These holes are also well groomed.
Cons: Once you get in the woods, good luck. The tee boxes are hard to find, the signs are either vandalized or missing, and the 10ft wide path in the middle of each hole is the only safe landing. Deviating from this 'landing strip' will have you bouncing off trees like a pinball and landing in very very thick brush. (If you're above average height, be prepared to walk through a ton of spider webs). Navigating from hole 8 to 9 is a joke, good luck. Trash cans are overflowing and usually surrounded by bees and other little critters.
Other Thoughts: The first third or so of this course is really the only fun part of the course. Holes 1-5 are five star. Beyond that, not fun at all.

meh

1    8/26/2012   8/27/2012
Review By: looking4owls
Pros: Some fun shots
Nice tee pads
Good baskets
Scoring opportunities on a many holes
Cons: It was busy on a Saturday; nice folks though
Signage needs updating, some were missing which caused confusion.
Holes on top of each other. People looking for their discs from errant throws were in our way a few times.
Too close to football fields where children were playing
Other Thoughts: Way overrated

a classic must play course

1    3/31/2012   4/2/2012
Review By: chainedwraith
Pros: - nice scenic course with good concrete tee pads and detailed tee signs on each hole (except 8 & 9 as noted in other reviews).

- good mix of open/wooded with some really nice well defined fairways.

- lots of basket placements provide excellent change-up & replay value.

- wooded holes can be tight and technical but never "poke 'n pray".. There is a strategic line or multiple lines to the basket on each of the technical holes.

- Hole 9 cirlces back near the beginning of the course (near basket 2 / teepad 3)

- navigation is fairly easy as the walking paths between holes are nicely worn in and easily identifiable. I didn't need a map..
Cons: - lots of vandalism on tee signs and missing signs 8 & 9.

- Some baskets are a little close to others. I threw to the wrong basket on holes 10 & 18 but it's partially my fault because I should have noticed the number plate not looking at me. Upon walking up the fairway a bit I noticed the proper baskets and re-teed accordingly.
Other Thoughts: - I didn't get the impression that the area was as bad as some people have mentioned but I still exercised caution and made my wife 'n 5 yr old daughter walk the course with me. Afterwards my daughter played on the playground with a group of middle-class kids that were enjoying a birthday party at the park. I didnt' see any sketchy characters on my visit and plenty of other disc golfers were out enjoying the course.

I would definitely like to play here again someday.

Redanculousness

1    1/30/2012   2/7/2012
Pros: 1) Nice signs with Hole #, Distance, Par, and Map of the holes. The holes are also named based on their design.

2) Multiple basket locations on all holes including up to 4 baskets. The basket locations can really alter your shot on the hole too which means you can play multiple versions of this course on any given day. Each hole has good distance variation depending on which basket location is used.

3) Mach baskets with the number plates facing the tees which is always appreciated especially when multiple baskets are visible from some of the tees.

4) Benches are available in many places on the course which is appreciated. I imagine it is even more helpful during the hot and humid Georgia summer.

5) The tees are nice concrete tees and are plenty long for this course so you never have to worry about overrunning the end of the teepad.

6) Turf seems to be in decent shape, but there is a lot of red Georgia clay around so I can imagine your shoes and socks might be dirty or stained at the end of your round on occasion.

7) There are decent directionals on this course however with missing tee signs on many holes the directionals do not work quite as effectively as they could.

8) Park rules sign including notice that it is a drug free zone.

9) Nice variety of foliage density which really is a great design feature on this course. Some fairly open holes, some tight wooded holes, and some moderately wooded holes with trees to avoid or baskets tucked nicely to create some challenge.

10) Some garbage cans around the course to throw your trash away and the course seemed fairly clean.
Cons: 1) Many signs seem to be missing or have some vandalism including black spray paint.

2) The course is obviously old or it gets a lot of play, while the turf is decent, the wooded holes could be muddy after a rain. They try to put some mulch down in spots but the course could use a little more of the mulch.

3) Blind baskets were tough on a first time travelling disc golfer like myself. DGA really should come up with a way to make their baskets more visible. Since so many of the holes are in the woods there were multiple times I had to search for which basket I was supposed to throw to.

4) Not enough of a beginner friendly course in my mind because it all depends on which basket locations are used.

5) The people walking in the park looked a little sketchy to me, but I played quickly and alone so I got back to my car in under 90 minutes.
Other Thoughts: Overall I was so happy my wife said I had time to play a second course after I had played JP Moseley as she was still enjoying her slumber. I was going to go to a different course but chose this one because it was the next best and fairly close to JP Moseley. This is just my type of course with the tight woods, but also because the design with the multiple baskets is cool. It's fun to see how each hole could play including the current basket location.

I had a lot of fun and I played quickly and felt like I shot pretty well. I put this right up there with all the other 4 disc courses I have played.

Great FUN

2-4    7/15/2011   2/4/2012
Review By: Oneshotonekil8
Pros: great open to woods course technical holes so you wont get bored its got wear on it but its a beautiful course TAKE someone you want to get to play more often here the scenery is neat and the holes are not too tough
Cons: nothing really except the wodden bridges near 15 need work but reall they are not to bad

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5