Redan (Dekalb County), GA
Rosewood-Dekalb Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #2 (Taken 4/2011)

A really nice mix

1    4/25/2009   4/29/2009
Review By: billnchristy
This review was updated on 5/27/2009
Pros: Note: This is a complete re-write based on new scoring system I created.
Great park maintenance, beautifully mowed lawns even in the woods where applicable.
Very little trash, people were emptying the garbage as we played.
Lots of benches and makeshift seating to give you a chance to rest.
It has a pretty good mix of distances considering its age especially. With the pin location variety it can provide an even greater mix.
Course is very easy to follow, we did have one instance where we were lead astray but easily got back on course. Most holes have Nex-T signs if you look.
Multiple pin locations can change difficulty of course.

Cons: Bad neighborhood. Have heard bad things but never experienced them so take it with a grain of salt.
Single tee location so the only adjustment between pro and rec. players is for par.
No way to tell what position the basket is in without looking first.
Did not see any accessible bathrooms.
Some graffiti on course, hopefully this has since been cleaned up.
Other Thoughts: The first tee is pretty daunting, but very cool. It was really fun walking around and discovering each hole. Some really memorable holes and our daughter really loved playing by the creeks.
Note, while this place has gotten a bad rep online we saw nothing that made us concerned in the least. In fact, we had not read about any of this stuff prior and the place gave us no reason to feel worried...YMMV.

Using my new scoring system, this park rates a 70 out of 100. It is a beautifully maintained park but the lack of tee variety and adjustment for ability cost it a chance at 4 stars.

Really well worth visiting.

Redan Will Always Be Home

5+    4/20/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: tmgoff
Pros: Redan was the first course I ever shot, that was over 15 years ago. Since then I have played 18 there no less than 200 times and while I personally have never be a victim of the reported crimes there, I have heard from other disc golfers there that these events have happened. This is a crying shame as Redan just might be the best course in the metro Atlanta area. From the 1st tee, which presents an elevated tee shot that must split the Y of a mature tree about 60 feet down the fairway, the course will constantly ask the golfer to draw and execute their lines with precision. 2,3 & 4 are open and reachable and allow you to garner a decent score before the course really begins to ask more of you. 6 and 7 are tight yet reachable wooded shots with tricky pin placements. All holes are distinct from on another and are marked with good signage.
Other Thoughts: This is a road trip course and ALL disc golfers in the Atlanta area are doing themselves a diservice if they don't shoot this course as often as they can. In light of both the area's established reputation for petty crime and recent posts just play smart, lock your car and go with at least 1 other person. I've traveled the country shooting various courses and while I've played one or two other courses that might have been better, Redan will always be home.

Insert "Diamond in the Rough" cliche

1    4/20/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: gvan
Pros: - Well planned holes with great shot variety.
- Multiple pin locations on each hole. There is a default location, apparently, but each time I've gone out there were one or two holes that were different
- Very unlikely to encounter non-golfers even on the open holes
- Excellent use of the property to arrange woods and open holes including right and left turning holes, tight fairways on a few and some challenging approaches.
- The woods are pretty and usually clean (not a dumping grounds or teen drinking party site as far as I could tell)
- Many holes provide multiple shot choices so it's a great course for learning. Anny, hyzer, BH and FH shots can all get a workout here.
- The houses backed up to the course (holes 5 and 15 mostly) are separated from the fairways by fencing. They are nicer looking houses too.
- The course is downright fun!
- Parking and a practice basket are right near hole 1. The parking is specifically for the course, so If you are looking at a baseball field, drive about 200 yards further :)
Cons: - Bathrooms are not close to the course
- The area surrounding the park isn't great, but the park is. One side of the park is an industrial area with auto salvage lots and construction companies. Granted, I wouldn't move to the area, but the park is worth the drive.
- Some vandalism is apparent.
Other Thoughts: - Older baskets, but they have inner chains (straight) and catch just fine.
- The people I have met and played with have all been friendly and helpful. Great locals!

B+ = You Be Feelin' Positive After Playing This

1    9/18/2007   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I say adds anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

5+    3/1/2009   4/15/2009
Review By: sdecker
Pros: Good overall mix of open and wooded holes. Pin placements move around regularly which makes for an additional challenge if you don't play it every week. Well thought out design overall.
Cons: There are some fairly tight fairways in the woods that would tend to discourage newbies. Lots of recent discussion about car break-ins and holdups(!) on the course is very discouraging.
Other Thoughts: Love the course overall and up until recently I would have considered it the best overall course in the Atlanta area. There's nothing about the course itself that is a negative, but the recent security concerns definitely bump it down IMO. Without those, it's a 4 star course.

Good course, Bad location

1    6/6/2006   2/10/2009
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: I really enjoyed playing this course. I thought it was set up well. Once your start playing your forget where this course is located, it is a secluded DG feel. There were a couple of places where the next tee direction wasn't obvious, but we were able to figure it out.
Cons: It was busy when I was there with DGers coming and going, so we did not have any problems with break-ins, but seeing the area on the way in, those type of problems don't surprise me.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course, but unfortunately I would be afraid to leave my car parked there in order to play it.

Robbery Warning

1    1/5/2009   1/5/2009
Review By: jaybirk
Other Thoughts: WARNING: I was playing with a buddy today and we were held at gunpoint at hole #15. The suspect took our drivers licenses money and cellphones. Just be careful on the course especially if you are playing alone. The Dekalb County Police said that if you notice anybody just hanging around not playing disc golf, that possibly look suspicious to go ahead and notify the police.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the course, unfortunately I do not think I will be returning.

Fun to Play

5+    6/3/2000   1/3/2009
Review By: ddevine
Pros: Great signage, easy to follow, well kept by the locals (when I played there). Good variety of technical shots with emphasis on control. Very friendly locals, an excellent course for learning the game.
Cons: There were some problems with break-ins in the parking lot when I played.
Other Thoughts: My first round there was a few weeks after one of the top players in the region had decided to cut down some tree limbs without permission. The locals showed me the damage, which was disgraceful.

Nice course

1    12/20/2008   12/21/2008
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: Senic coursein the woods mostly, well thought out holes. Course is marked pretty well, we did have to look around a couple of times for the next tee. This did not cause a long delay. Nice signs marking the multiple basket locations. Most holes had two or three posssible locations. If the baskets get moved regularly this will keep the course fresh. Course was pretty well maintained and the players we encountered were very friendly.
Cons: Unfortunately this park is surrounded by some rather rough neighborhoods. You kind of wonder what you are getting into as you pass the junk yards.
Another course with the older baskets that are difficult to see, requireing some extra walking or throwing blind. This seems to be common to most of the courses I have played but I sure do like those nice yellow Innova baskets. The course was a little wet the day we played and the tee pads were surprisingly slippery. I little caution resolved this. Unfortunately there has been some vandalism on some of the tee box signs.
Other Thoughts: If your a lefty this course will be to your likeing as many of the holes are layed out left to right. Caused many long walks in the woods for me, but this will make me learn some new shots. I will come back and play again.

Not too bad

5+    8/9/2008   12/9/2008
Review By: Redneck Machismo
Pros: A good short course that can be stretched out to be more challenging. The course demands many different types of shots and is a lot of fun to play. It is also well maintained and aesthetically pleasing.
Cons: If you care anything about your car I would not park anywhere near this course. I have been broken into along with dozens of others. The course is surrounded by crime ridden neighborhoods of the lowest order. It is hard to have fun or focus on your round when young gang members are breaking into your car.
Other Thoughts: This course is pretty over rated. It doesn't provide anything that most courses don't as well. Hole 7 and 15 are memorable but this course is still a short old style course. It is well taken care of by the locals but the surrounding ghettos make it virtually unplayable for me except during large tournaments.