Redan (Dekalb County), GA
Rosewood-Dekalb Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #6 (Taken 4/2011)
3 / 262ft.   -- / 262ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Enjoyed it a lot.

2-4    10/19/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: Concrete pad are always a plus in my book. A few open holes but must are in the woods with some being really tight and others opening up in the woods. A nice mixture of hyzer and anhyzer holes. Multiple pin placement looks to change the course with each placement. There are some small hills that come into play on multiple holes.
Cons: Some of the signs are beat up others are missing. While there are multiple pin placements there is nothing to let you know which one the pin is in. There were some areas that were still holding water from the rains the week before I played though it was not too bad and a towel will be needed.
Other Thoughts: This course looks like it has seen better days. Though because of that there are many holes that will test your skills and allow for some risk vs reward shots. With the years this course has under it belt you can see there has been many years of additions which make this course a must play if you are in the area with time to kill.

Good Mix

5+    7/17/2009   7/17/2009
Review By: Alan.D
Pros: -Great mix of open and wooded holes
-Multiple shot required
-Wood holes can be tough but are all "fair"
-Nice use of land and elevation
-Multiple Pin locations (rare they change it though)
-Concrete tees on all holes
-A few very pretty holes!
Cons: -Not the best area, don't feel safe
-Not the cleanest -trash -beer cans -graffiti
-Deep in woods feeling, bring bug spray, and watch out for spider webs
-Looks like the course is used for other activities besides disc golf
-Generally under keep
Other Thoughts: A very fun Course that demands a variety of shots over many different types of holes. While the course is great that is all that is there for golfers, few benches and no water fountains. While I almost always see other disc golfers playing I don't really feel safe leaving my car in the parking lot.

Great course but park is not there for disc golfers and course and park are under Keep.

1    7/11/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: craigd
This review was updated on 4/16/2010
Pros: What a beautiful course! Isolated in its own area, except the views of the tennis courts and playing fields on a few holes, you'll find yourself in a dedicated disc golf area. It's a really well designed and fun course to play. As you get to the parking lot you notice a practice basket for a quick warm up. There is a picnic table under a large shade tree good for waiting for friends or a quick rest after a round. Hole one is close to the parking lot and leads you to the heart of the course where you'll discover navigation throughout the round will be quite easy. A small arrow on the bottom of the baskets pointing the way helps too. The multiple pin positions, up to three per hole, give this course multiple personalities. I think this course has some of the best possibilities as far as changing things when it comes to moving pins. I have seen lots of times where other courses have multiple pin locations but they just add distance or just make the hole more difficult by hiding the pin behind a bush. Not here, you really have to see it to appreciate the possibilities. (See the map, www.dgcoursereview.com/course.../5d55fc18.jpg) Concrete tee pads are at each hole along with tee signs mapping out the fairway. The baskets are in great shape for their age and catch the discs nicely. Benches and trash cans are abundant and there are even a few picnic tables at a couple of holes. You'll appreciate the bridges that are scattered around and lead you from hole to the next tee where needed. The course is clean and well maintained including the mowed grass on the fairways.

Along with all the stated amenities the course itself stands on it's own. A great variety of shots are required, you'll use almost all of them. Long, short, slight to somewhat pronounced left and right, they're all here. Even a little luck will be welcomed a time or two. As a side note I enjoyed the nicknames for the holes, "fairway to heaven" for example on a beautiful fairway said it all. The course is predominately wooded with a few open holes peppered in for a change. Some of the wooded holes are tighter than others but shule, at least on the fairways, is non existent. You'll find it off the fairways but you have to get a pretty bad ricochet from a tree or really shank it to find yourself looking for a disc. The creek also comes into play here and there. It mainly runs beside the fairways on a shot or two with it running behind the basket a time or two as well.
Cons: The first thing I noticed was how difficult it was to spot the baskets in the wooded areas. Although the signs showed multiple pin placements it did not indicate which position they were in. Even if they did, it would still be hard to spot them but it would have helped. A walk up the fairway was required on at least half the holes. Even a few people who are well acquainted with the course had to take a walk to see what position they were in.

A nice pavilion, water fountains, and bathrooms would have been nice but the lack of them is certainly not a deal breaker.

The signs are older and are suffering from age and are a little faded at times. Thanks to the thugs that live in the community who mark there territory like animals, there is unfortunately some graffiti on the signs as well. Oh, and while we are on the subject of the vagrants, one must assume they are who is responsible for the break-ins and hold ups that you may have read about.

I will have to say, I felt quite safe when I played though. I was with a large group and we played on a Saturday while other players were present. On the flip side I don't see myself playing solo during the week. The course is just too isolated and to take a chance. But overall I feel like the risk might be a little over rated. Go with a group and you'll be fine. Bad experiences always get more press than good experiences.
Other Thoughts: I think this is one of Atlanta's finest layouts. (Among many other great ones as well) I also believe everyone of every skill level can have a great time out here. I wrestled with whether to rate this 3.5 or 4. I guess in my mind it is somewhere in between but for me it leans much closer to a four, especially when the fun factor is considered. Come out and see for yourself. I truly don't think you'll be disappointed. Give it try but most importantly, just enjoy!

Lovely course with a few significant flaws

5+    5/24/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: Lewis
This review was updated on 8/24/2011
Pros: Redan offers the player a lot of variety in his shot selection, and since each hole has multiple, distinct pin positions that are moved frequently by the locals, it's continually giving you fresh looks. Some of the shorter wooded holes present pitch-and-putt distances, while a couple of the more open holes have pin positions well over 400'. In the short positions, the course is accessible to the recreational game, while in the long positions, the course can make you work pretty hard for a par-3 round. Usually the baskets are set up with a rotating mixture of short and long pins.

It's not a densely wooded course, but there are plenty of trees and lots of shade, and the trees are often right in the middle of what would be the easy driving line. Many of the holes have multiple lines to the basket, so you don't have to play them the same way every time.

You'll be pleased to find benches and trash cans throughout the park. If I recall there was a place to sit down at every single tee box.

The secluded park setting is a pleasant place to play a round, and it is well maintained. Bridges cross the creeks at all the right places, there are songbirds in the trees, and the grass is well groomed. It's exactly the kind of environment I most like to play in, and it was certainly well designed.
Cons: I'm not the biggest fan of concrete tee pads, and Redan's pads are an example of why. While they are longer than you'll find at some courses, they're not quite long enough for me, and they're a couple of feet too narrow for my taste. This could be forgiven, but they also all have an unnerving ankle-snapper drop-off at the front edge. If they were a couple of feet wider and longer, I'd probably be comfortable with them. As they are, especially as slippery as they get when they're wet, they make me tense and have me wishing for natural or grit pads. I could also wish for multiple tee pads, since the multiple pin positions alone don't leave me any control over how much of a challenge I want to set for myself today.

I've heard many rumors about petty crime in the area. While I've never had any problems myself, and my car has never been bothered, I always head back to the parking lot wondering if today is my unlucky day. That's not the feeling you want to finish your round with.

The quality of the tee signs at Redan would be a pro on most courses I've played, but several of them have been vandalized, and none of them tells you which position the pin is actually in. If you don't take the time to walk up the fairway, most of the holes will have you throwing blind, since the baskets are usually either hidden by or camouflaged among the trees.
Other Thoughts: There is a LOT of schule just off the fairways at Redan, so it can be easy to lose discs there. When in doubt, don't throw your favorite disc, and play to the safe side of the fairway. There are multiple routes all over the course, so choose wisely.

You should probably ignore the posted par on the tee signs unless you're a beginner. The posted par may give you an impression of the relative difficulty of the holes, but with 21st century discs, this is a par-3 course all the way around.

Be careful not to confuse the #9 basket with the #18 basket. The holes play from opposite ends of an open space, directly towards each other, so it's possible to throw at the wrong one.

If you're confused about where the next hole is, look around for a sign. There should be enough "next tee" signs to guide you around. If you don't see a "next tee" sign, look for a bridge and a well worn footpath. The next tee is never vary far away.

A really nice mix

1    4/25/2009   4/29/2009
Review By: billnchristy
This review was updated on 5/27/2009
Pros: Note: This is a complete re-write based on new scoring system I created.
Great park maintenance, beautifully mowed lawns even in the woods where applicable.
Very little trash, people were emptying the garbage as we played.
Lots of benches and makeshift seating to give you a chance to rest.
It has a pretty good mix of distances considering its age especially. With the pin location variety it can provide an even greater mix.
Course is very easy to follow, we did have one instance where we were lead astray but easily got back on course. Most holes have Nex-T signs if you look.
Multiple pin locations can change difficulty of course.

Cons: Bad neighborhood. Have heard bad things but never experienced them so take it with a grain of salt.
Single tee location so the only adjustment between pro and rec. players is for par.
No way to tell what position the basket is in without looking first.
Did not see any accessible bathrooms.
Some graffiti on course, hopefully this has since been cleaned up.
Other Thoughts: The first tee is pretty daunting, but very cool. It was really fun walking around and discovering each hole. Some really memorable holes and our daughter really loved playing by the creeks.
Note, while this place has gotten a bad rep online we saw nothing that made us concerned in the least. In fact, we had not read about any of this stuff prior and the place gave us no reason to feel worried...YMMV.

Using my new scoring system, this park rates a 70 out of 100. It is a beautifully maintained park but the lack of tee variety and adjustment for ability cost it a chance at 4 stars.

Really well worth visiting.

Redan Will Always Be Home

5+    4/20/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: tmgoff
Pros: Redan was the first course I ever shot, that was over 15 years ago. Since then I have played 18 there no less than 200 times and while I personally have never be a victim of the reported crimes there, I have heard from other disc golfers there that these events have happened. This is a crying shame as Redan just might be the best course in the metro Atlanta area. From the 1st tee, which presents an elevated tee shot that must split the Y of a mature tree about 60 feet down the fairway, the course will constantly ask the golfer to draw and execute their lines with precision. 2,3 & 4 are open and reachable and allow you to garner a decent score before the course really begins to ask more of you. 6 and 7 are tight yet reachable wooded shots with tricky pin placements. All holes are distinct from on another and are marked with good signage.
Other Thoughts: This is a road trip course and ALL disc golfers in the Atlanta area are doing themselves a diservice if they don't shoot this course as often as they can. In light of both the area's established reputation for petty crime and recent posts just play smart, lock your car and go with at least 1 other person. I've traveled the country shooting various courses and while I've played one or two other courses that might have been better, Redan will always be home.

Insert "Diamond in the Rough" cliche

1    4/20/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: gvan
Pros: - Well planned holes with great shot variety.
- Multiple pin locations on each hole. There is a default location, apparently, but each time I've gone out there were one or two holes that were different
- Very unlikely to encounter non-golfers even on the open holes
- Excellent use of the property to arrange woods and open holes including right and left turning holes, tight fairways on a few and some challenging approaches.
- The woods are pretty and usually clean (not a dumping grounds or teen drinking party site as far as I could tell)
- Many holes provide multiple shot choices so it's a great course for learning. Anny, hyzer, BH and FH shots can all get a workout here.
- The houses backed up to the course (holes 5 and 15 mostly) are separated from the fairways by fencing. They are nicer looking houses too.
- The course is downright fun!
- Parking and a practice basket are right near hole 1. The parking is specifically for the course, so If you are looking at a baseball field, drive about 200 yards further :)
Cons: - Bathrooms are not close to the course
- The area surrounding the park isn't great, but the park is. One side of the park is an industrial area with auto salvage lots and construction companies. Granted, I wouldn't move to the area, but the park is worth the drive.
- Some vandalism is apparent.
Other Thoughts: - Older baskets, but they have inner chains (straight) and catch just fine.
- The people I have met and played with have all been friendly and helpful. Great locals!

B+ = You Be Feelin' Positive After Playing This

1    9/18/2007   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B

5+    3/1/2009   4/15/2009
Review By: sdecker
Pros: Good overall mix of open and wooded holes. Pin placements move around regularly which makes for an additional challenge if you don't play it every week. Well thought out design overall.
Cons: There are some fairly tight fairways in the woods that would tend to discourage newbies. Lots of recent discussion about car break-ins and holdups(!) on the course is very discouraging.
Other Thoughts: Love the course overall and up until recently I would have considered it the best overall course in the Atlanta area. There's nothing about the course itself that is a negative, but the recent security concerns definitely bump it down IMO. Without those, it's a 4 star course.

Good course, Bad location

1    6/6/2006   2/10/2009
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: I really enjoyed playing this course. I thought it was set up well. Once your start playing your forget where this course is located, it is a secluded DG feel. There were a couple of places where the next tee direction wasn't obvious, but we were able to figure it out.
Cons: It was busy when I was there with DGers coming and going, so we did not have any problems with break-ins, but seeing the area on the way in, those type of problems don't surprise me.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course, but unfortunately I would be afraid to leave my car parked there in order to play it.