Athol, MA
Flat Rock DGC Share
Uploaded By: solomon.trenton Hole #4

1    11/11/2014   11/16/2014
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: It's a private course, so right away I'm interested. When I approached the shed near the parking lot, I heard music playing within. There were disc golf pictures, league scorecards, signs about soda you could buy, but none one in sight. It felt a little creepy, like a Stephen King novel.

The course is primarily wooded, but there is great variation in distances. A few are tempting ace runs in the 250-foot range, and a few are great multi-shot holes. Hole 7 is my favorite, starting with an uphill drive where you need good placement for your approach. The fairway from there is my favorite kind: wide and lightly wooded with numerous lines to the basket. Hole 15 is another good one, starting with a big drive across one of the few open parts of the property, before narrowing to a tough downhill tunnel shot.

There are two water shots. Hole 17 is a pretty easy shot across. Hole 18 is a full throw and not an easy one.

There is a lot of character here that I love to see on a private course. Hole 13 brings it all together. There is a crazy stick figure guy with discs for hands that stands sentinel on the right side of the fairway. If you're not careful, his hands will give you the Dikembe treatment. A net off to the left keeps another tee pad safe and features some glow sticks and a huge (fake) spider. And behind the basket rests some hanging planks, spaced evenly to keep discs from getting through (also to protect another fairway). I like it.

Elevation is present on most holes.

Contrary to the pictures, none of the baskets are the homemade monstrosities shown. They're all normal baskets. About half of the tee pads are concrete, which I'm told are recent.

I never looked at a map. The only tough navigation point was after hole 7, where you had to walk down the road to get to 8.
Cons: I am a dog owner and not generally afraid of dogs. But I didn't care for the neighbor's German Shepherd that barked menacingly and came out into the street (I yelled at it, and it retreated eventually). It doesn't look like bringing your own dog is forbidden, but it won't be relaxing for you if you do.

The tee signs tell the distance but are otherwise not that useful.

The only hole I didn't care for was hole 2. It's a left to right drive with an uphill approach from there. The approach didn't look realistic, and I was annoyed that the tee sign didn't show the true shape of the fairway.
Other Thoughts: It wasn't busy when I arrived but had a full parking lot when I left (10 cars or so). It's a cool course and well worth the $5. Based on the notes at the tee sign, it sounds like there was a battle with the zoning board (and probably neighbors) to get this fully approved. This is a victory that deserves to be supported.

Nice little gem

1    7/31/2010   7/31/2010
Review By: rootcanalsarebad
Pros: Flat Rock in Athol, MA is a nice little hidden gem. Most of the holes have homemade baskets, but I found that they caught just fine. Course is pretty techincal, requiring plenty of flicks, tomahawks, and rollers. Loaner discs are available at hole 1, and floater discs are available for holes 17 and 18, which play over a pond. There are also nets and 2 paddle boats if you do lose your disc in the pond. The owners have done a stunningly nice job using the land to its full potential. All of the baskets have glow sticks, as night disc golf is popular at this course. Course appears free of poison ivy, and all the fairways are well defined. The tee signs were probably the neatest I've ever seen, with a 3D replica of each hole. Plenty of OB at this course, which adds a fun challenge. Benches at many holes, and several trash cans as well. There is also a U-Pick blueberry patch at the course for those who are interested.
Cons: Arguably the biggest con at Flat Rock is navigation. If you don't notice hole 8 as you're walking to hole 2, it could take about 30 mins to find. There is said to be a "mean" dog between holes 1 and 2, though I did not encounter him. I was advised that a stern "GO HOME" will work, so I would not let this stop you from playing this course. Teepads are all natural. Many of the fairways intersect, which could be an issue if the course is busy. Course is a tad hard to find, buried on a side road in Athol.
Other Thoughts: I would have probably given this course a 4 disc review if not for the navigation issues. To me, the $5 price tag is no issue at all, and I didn't mind the homemade baskets one bit. Hole 18 is really a stunning hole if you have the arm to clear the pond. I had a great time at Flat Rock and hope to return soon. I would recommend giving this one a chance. You might even plan a day of disc golf with Flat Rock and nearby Tully (8 mins away?) in Royalston.

most character ever!

2-4    8/20/2008   12/16/2008
Review By: sumner420
This review was updated on 5/17/2009
Pros: The tee signs are the koolest-Ever! (Homemade handmade and realistic full 3D!) Great use of natural terrian, Theres a pond that a few holes shoot over (but it isnt huge), A lot of thought went into the tee placement- some elevated tee boxes. Some very long dog leg holes and some very challenging short but tight holes, even a few for the bigger gunners out there
Cons: was a bit muddy on one visit, tricky to navigate the first time- map helps, $5 a round fee seems a tad high,( but its private property, privately maintained, and doesnt prohibit drinks)
Other Thoughts: really kool course, hip hop and happenin', nice and secluded, varied terrain, all the "cages" are homemade (both a pro and a con the D.I.Y. side of me was sparked, but the putter in me was a bit spooked for a few holes- esp the hanging basket) I loved all the decorated trees(eating discs, waving, trying to grab a drive..) A good time course