Minneapolis (Plymouth), MN
Plymouth Creek Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #6 (Taken 7/2012)
Hole #6 Long Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Not too long, but a good challenge

2-4    10/12/2015   10/12/2015
Review By: LeftyHukin
Pros: I do not get up to Plymouth much from Apple Valley, so since I was in the area I decided to take a peek since it was highly rated. Unfortunately the weather was not in prime condition as it was lightly raining with winds averaging at 25mph and gusting over 35mph. I will try not to let the sloppy conditions put a negative spin on the review. This course is in my opinion great for an intermediate player to really improve their placement game. A mix of very short and medium length holes, but if you miss your line you will be scrambling. If you are looking to bomb drives, you are better off going to Bassett Creek a few miles away. This is a wooded finesse course to test your accuracy.

When I first got there, I saw something I rarely see these days, a map of the entire course! Usually going to a course for the first time I have no idea where I am supposed to go. Case and point, Bassett Creek a few miles away. But here you get a very nice map and hole #1 box right next to it. Each tee has a small metal pole with the distance (if it is the long or short tee) and even a directional arrow to the basket! No real need to guess where you are throwing. Just outside of the putting circle on each hole is another metal pole that directs you to the next long or short tee. Very simple but very effective! In addition you get paths that are traced out with logs to make it even easier to find your way!

The course itself flows very well. The next tee is usually within 50-60ft of the previous basket, so even as a first timer I was able to find my way very easily.

The design of the course was great as it uses of all the space and landscape. There are elevation changes, nothing really steep, just a lot of rolling hills in the woods, making you throw uphill and down hill. There are clear paths to the basket but can be very narrow and punishing if you miss. There are some short holes, like a 141ft hole, but the basket is placed perfectly where you have to get a lucky tree kick or a perfect skip to get a decent putt. For those wanting to toss a long drive, hole 8 is your chance. A 671ft par 5 (it is a legit par 4 for sure) is very challenging as it will test your flick and dare you to throw your disc over a creek the last 250-300ft with a narrow fairway. I was proud my 2nd time through to card a 4 hitting a 35ft putt.

In addition to the flow of the course and the great use of the natural landscape, the course if very well kept. The baskets are in great shape, the tee pads are concrete, you get logs tracing the paths to the next tee with markers, and there are benches/trash cans all over! This helps with the litter as I saw almost none. A pleasant sight to be sure!

The course really tests a lot of your shots. Up the middle touch shots, accurate hyzer shots, flicks, thumbers. There are many different lines and shots to use on every hole on this course. Even being a lefty I felt the course played very neutral, as there are a couple RHBH dominate holes, a couple LHBH dominate holes and most with lines for both lefties/righties.

There are short tees and most of the longer holes, so feel free to bring newer players to the course. Due to the difficulty of the baskets, and the creek that runs through and along many holes, I do not recommend this course to introduce someone to disc golf.
Cons: With it being in the middle of fall, and the fact you are in the middle of the woods, the ground is covered in a layer of leaves. I did not lose any discs, but I did have some that took a few moments to find as they were buried, so like with all wooded courses in the fall, watch your shot and make note of landmarks in the area.

Not a course to bomb shots. Maybe fairway drivers off the tee on a few holes as there are quite a few 280-320 foot holes, so if you are a pro, mids, if you are intermediate then mids to fairway drivers.

Bring a long stick to get your discs out of the creek! I only had to do this one time my first time on hole #8 (my shot hyzered to late and fell in). Not too deep, but up to 2 feet in places. Great for challenging holes, but sticks if you lose your disc!
Other Thoughts: Even in the rain I would recommend the course. It was easy to find my way, loved the bridges all over the place, heck they have bridges to get to the other bank of the creek so if you toss your disc over you don't have to jump or back track! For me, it really tested a variety of shots and I ended up throwing different discs both times through the course. For those wanting to take their mid to short game to the next level this is a challenging 12 hole course that you cannot miss! I will have to make a trip back just to play here on a nice day.

Fun course, Good variety

2-4    9/29/2015   9/30/2015
Review By: Sicknatur3_MN
Pros: Decent course. Good variety of distance. Some holes require long bombs, and others you tee off with a putter. Course is laid out well and makes sense.
Cons: Prepare to get wet. Many holes have water hazards. This course can get fairly busy.
Other Thoughts: Overall a very nice course. Well designed and utilizes space well. Just be prepared there is a good chance you will throw your disk in the creek at some point.

2-4    6/24/2013   6/24/2015
Review By: Bpaulsen1
Pros: -Good wooded areas.
-Flows well.
-Pins/Baskets are challenging.
Cons: -Can get a bit crowded.
-Some areas are a little too wooded for some holes that are long and maybe could have been made shorter for that purpose.

5+    5/14/2015   5/29/2015
Review By: JTRACY
Pros: This was the first course I ever played a few years ago and was my only course as I got into this game. It has a good flow and the layout uses the available space wisely without much overlap.
The course is very popular and brings in a lot of new players. It is also a free to play course so don't be surprised if you see large search parties at a few holes and if you are the type who likes to meet locals bring a pack of cigs (even if you don't smoke) the locals are all broke but friendly.
I honestly don't play this course as much anymore (not enough grip n rip holes) however it has its memorable holes. #1 over the river great start to the course #4 tunnel shot couldn't figure it out when I was a newb threw a putter problem solved #5 hook with river 10 ft past (my first ace). #7 The Gatekeeper awesome downhill tunnel this was the reason I became a forehand player. #12 the best bomber in the course this used to be a danger hole with a nasty swamp but there are 2 hills where the swamp used to be now only the river can eat your discs.
Cons: #8 was a walk-through back when I was a newb simply skipped it but it has a nice short basket nowadays.
Other Thoughts: They added a practice putting spot in the woods with trees as obstacles last season or 2 seasons ago its a brilliant idea however the basket is broke but its practice so a pole would work too.
*also read some other reviews fyi this was once an 18 hole course before the dome was built to the right of hole 2

The "Creek" is not for the meek

5+    1/24/2015   1/24/2015
Pros: This course is one of the more technical ones in the area, for that alone, I love it. Canopies and tunnels aplenty, this course will test your line shaping skills and punish you if you lack them. A wide variety of shots, curving both right and left, tests both your backhand and forehand skills... Unless you are ambidextrous. Playing hole 8 as a par 3 and achieving that 3 is more rewarding than some of the aces I've gotten.
Cons: For about half the course, there is no grass and it is built on the side of a hill, so it can be quite treacherous here if any sort of moisture is present. Also, pretty sure the creek itself might be a sewage runoff judging by the aroma.
Other Thoughts: I bagged my first ace at this course, hole 7, May 5, 2007, with a forehanded Sirius Orion LF. For that reason alone, this course is near and dear to me. I also have aces on 1, 5, and 11. Many of my friends hate this course for its technicality, but they are chuckers : p

Top 3 free course in mpls

2-4    9/17/2013   9/17/2013
Review By: Dilf
Pros: Great use of a small space, 12 quality holes in a city park, most with dual tees. Even a legit Par 5 (something like 670') in a densely wooded area. Nice shady trees for windy or hot days. Hole placement around trees is perfect for sculpting drives, good reward/punishment for controlled driving or not. Excellent signage made for easy navigation as a first timer. No trash anywhere. Just enough elevation change to make it more interesting. Probably the most well cared for free course in the Twin Citites that I've seen. Plus poles hanging on nearby trees to fish an errant disc out of the creek.
Cons: Honestly nothing comes to mind. Would be great if someday it was 18 holes, then it would beat out Acorn in my opinion and be in better shape.
Other Thoughts: I met a man who volunteers working on the course and thanked him for it. It really shows that somebody cares for this place. He saw me barely miss an ace on the first hole and stopped to chat. Would play this course on all my days off if it was a little closer.

Great free course

2-4    8/15/2013   8/15/2013
Review By: PeeJWeeJ
Pros: - A good variate shots needed, all of which need to be accurate because of the trees and creek.

- Poles to get discs out of the creek and many well placed bridges for crossing the creek.

- Easy to navigate with clear directional markers and tee markers.

- Compared to most free courses, this course is very well marked and kept up.
Cons: - Some more distance would be nice, There is only one hole that's any kind of distance challenge.

- 12 is an odd number of holes, I'm not sure where they would put them, but it would be great if they found a way to build morel.
Other Thoughts: This course is free but surprisingly well kept and interesting. If they found a way to increase the distance and increase it to 18 holes it could probably be a top notch course.

great 12 holes

5+    7/12/2013   7/14/2013
Review By: elmexdela
Pros: free. concrete pads, multiple teeboxs if you are playing with beginners. signs tell you distance and where the pin is located. 12 holes wrapped in the woods with a creek running though most holes. plastic poles laying around to fish out lost discs. (i did overflip my wasp on hole one and it went MIA on the right side of the bridge so if you find a old font blue wasp pm me). good use of the elevation they had. few ace runs that require good placement because there are so many trees around to knock your disc around.
Cons: creek. kind of crowded. bring bug spray. the two long holes could be miserable for beginners. accuracy is key here.
Other Thoughts: i like this course a lot. its always a stop for me when im driving up or down 169. fun 12 hole course. keep a good eye on your disc and youll be fine. the olny improvements i could see, would be to make this a full 18. otherwise very good for what they were given. and the no litter laying around was very nice on the eyes

I can't get enough of this course

1    7/6/2013   7/12/2013
Review By: TheSteveKelzer
Pros: Every hole has its own unique challenge to overcome. There are a variety of dog legs and hills to master. There course seems to always be well groomed and taken care of. I like that the creek winds through the course on a few holes (be careful not to loose your disc!). I also like the use of the old lacrosse field turf for some of the fairways and greens on the frolfing course! It brings a unique and clean feel to the course. It is also nice that the course starts and ends at the parking lot, making it easy to get in and get out or to play around a second time if you would like!
Cons: It can get busy, but that should be expected of any course as fun as this one!
Other Thoughts: 12 holes? Kinda weird, but I dont mind!

Good course

1    6/15/2013   6/16/2013
Review By: Dfrolfer
Pros: Nice course
Fun lengths
Hooks for the creek
Fun long par 5
Mix of shots
Cons: Busy
Left my pink ESP surge next to hole 9 or 10 for a few minutes and it was gone when I went back for it
Only 12 holes
Rained very hard before we left
Other Thoughts: Good course but very busy