Carthage, NC
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #1

lots of fun

5+    4/20/2010   4/20/2010
Review By: Behindatree
Pros: Nice variety of shots. Some very challenging fairways. Full amenities very nice scorecards. Almost every hole overs different shot choices from the tee. Hole 13 is my personal favorite. Its a short left hook with a steep down hill elevation change that has definite ace possibilities. Easy to navigate. Signs to next tee at every basket.
Cons: Course is built at a park that is clearly dominated by baseball. A few tee shots come with the chance of climbing the fence. Hole 17 and 18 run either side of the entrance road which gets quite busy on days they have baseball games. A few holes have what I like to call a "wtf" tee shot where a tree or two should have been cleared (hole 9 and 13 in particular)
Other Thoughts: !!!*** there is a rumor going around that we are in danger of losing this course***!!! The park is wanting to build more baseball fields on top of the four already there and another parking lot which would require the land the course is on.

An Instant Classic

5+    12/19/2008   12/19/2008
Review By: Sling Moore
Pros: Hillcrest Park has evolved into a very fine course in such a short period of time. A lot of work has been put into it and it is starting to show. The course has a great variety of unique holes and no two holes are even remotely the same. Navigation is easy as there are arrows placed on the holes where they are needed. Plus, the routing of the holes through the walking trail and around the baseball fields ease course navigation as well. To be a new course, the tee pads(gravel) are level and free of ruts, the fairways are well defined, and the greens are cleared of debris.
Cons: The rough on holes 5, 7, & 8 are littered with fallen trees and needs to be cleared. The tee pad on hole 14 needs to be moved to the left to fit the fairway better. There are only five tee signs thus far. More will be added when sponsorship is obtained. As of now there is no information board nor a practice basket. All of these issues will be addressed and fixed in the near future.

Nice Course

5+    9/20/2009   9/25/2008
Review By: YonderScott
This review was updated on 10/1/2009
Pros: -Disc golf in area that needs more courses.
-Great facilities, bathrooms, water fountain, playground for kids.
-No crowds, secluded and beautiful eastern NC forest.
-Tight technical mostly wooded course, for those like me that like these type courses.
-Maps in the park office, arrows pointing to most tees.
-I like the layout here, even the first time I played it when it had no arrows it seemed easy for me to follow. The designers used all available land.
Cons: -Hole 9 could use some serious weedwhacking, the parks and rec folks don't help keep this fairway clear.
-Not all holes have tee signs, but this is a temp problem that should be solved with sponsorship.
-The fences along 1, behind 2, along 3, and up the fairway on 18. I don't like the thought of losing a disc to a fence, it makes me pull up a bit on my drive. Not a huge problem, just mental.
-The walk from 17 basket to 18 tee. I really don't see an alternative, and part of why I play is the walk in a park.
Other Thoughts: I like this course, but I prefer tight courses that make you shoot accurate. (Even if I'm not that accurate). I've notice that the loose gravel tee boxes have started to pack in. I'm not the biggest fan of these type, but with a little time and rain it washes the loose stuff away and starts to pack down. I assume with time concrete will be put in place. This course will get worked in with more play, and hopefully more courses for this area will follow.

Update-As of Sept 09, most of the fairway on #9 had been whacked down. The rest of the course looked the same as when this review was first written.